• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 2.50 FW, PS Vita 3.50 FW updates are up

kriskrosbbk

Inverted colors is neat on the menu ,however I am not going to play my games inverted lol
It would've been nice to switch to normal once you start an app/game

Hustler

Just tried Driveclub on remote play..... Wow! Seemless, no hiccups. I can't wait to try out a fighting game, my Vita will no longer collect dust!

Lethal

Neo Member
It's a massive thing for gamers with disabilities who need custom controller etc. that's why its in the new accesability section, along with the zoom, contrast, bold fonts etc.

Right. And wouldn't it benefit them even further to have the visual prompts changed accordingly? I think that should be the next step, if possible.

Just tried resuming GTA V using a disc copy and the stock HDD and it took 10 seconds from me pressing the PS button to returning to the game, with having to log into my account during the process.

Very good.

it seems that suspend /resume works better with digital games than those that need a disc ( from what i've tried) , but regardless it works , and it's quite fast and that's what i wanted.

Not a fan of the playstation store on the main menu , but at least it'zs not an annoying singstar app.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
can I assume that the console wont use the 1.5W when there is no app/game to suspend?
Just like with USB charging enabled, it will have that power consumption regardless of if it is necessary or not.

it seems that suspend /resume works better with digital games than those that need a disc ( from what i've tried) , but regardless it works , and it's quite fast and that's what i wanted.
What behavior are you seeing with digital vs. disc based?

I just tried a few different games and they all seem to work the same.
I'm talking purely PS4 system level wise. The various games handle losing network connectivity differently.

noomi

Based on the screen I'm staring at? About 7 hours to back up to a USB2.0 external hard drive.

EDIT: I would suggest anyone who hasn't started yet deletes disc based installs before backing up. They don't take long to re-install, you'll still have your saves, and you then won't have to copy that data between your drives

Holy shit 7 hours?! How much data are you saving mine is about 400GB filled at the moment. I could delete old disc installs I guess.... would this also delete patch data though?

7 HOURS!?

*edit*

I am using a USB 3.0 external HD though.... so maybe a bit faster I would hope...

Vashetti

Banned
Ok folks. I'm being the guinea pig for you all.

I removed my 0% trophies, I've wiped my PS3 and I'm restarting from scratch. It's synching trophies with the server now. If I'm right, my 0% trophies are FULLY gone forever.

They will still appear on PS3 and Vita.

ParityBit

I've got that drive and its great.

Definitely saw an improvement in load times in games and booting the console.

I saw some people doing a trick with a 2TB drive. Is that just for the extra space, or is it faster with the RPMs over 5400?

Anyone have a link to download the update onto a usb? I have a new hard drive coming in today and need to do a fresh install

What drive did you get? I am trying to decide on which I should get!

thank you! Hopefully the new sshd drive cuts down on Bloodborne load times :D

I saw some people doing a trick with a 2TB drive. Is that just for the extra space, or is it faster with the RPMs over 5400?

Same one you linked. My friend bought that drive for his ps4 in november and has had no problems, he was getting 15-20 second load times max with bloodborne where as i was getting 30-45 on the long ones. Decided to go with his suggestion, and $77 for 1tb is pretty damn good deal

AwRy108

Ugh, why are the Vita's touch screens included in its button assignments?!? So close to fixing the biggest issue with Remote Play, SONY...

Great update so far. I think my personal standout, as small as it is, is the fact that there is a separate option to restart your system. No more turning off then turning back on just to restart the system when the PS store starts acting up. That's my biggest take away.

Also, maybe it's me but was Playstation Now always a permanent tile?

Vashetti

Banned
I've got a feeling they won't, but I'll report back in a sec. Trophy sync is up to 83%.

Source: I've been on the beta and already tried it out.

Also, the new PS Store icon matches the new Playstation Video icon. One of the reasons they've moved must be to do with matching branding.

More bullshit apps to clutter up the PS4 UI. That's exactly what I fucking needed. Thanks, Sony. Can't believe they moved the store off of the top menu so that it can clutter up the main line. Whose bright idea was that shit?

All that said, application suspend seems to work fine so it's really nice to finally have that. Incredibly convenient.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Just tried Resogun in remote play on direct connection and it held up very well, though I sucked from having not played for so long. Some minor stutters but those might be ironed out for people with better wifi setups.

More bullshit apps to clutter up the PS4 UI. That's exactly what I fucking needed. Thanks, Sony. Can't believe they moved the store off of the top menu so that it can clutter up the main line. Whose bright idea was that shit?

All that said, application suspend seems to work fine so it's really nice to finally have that. Incredibly convenient.
More visibility for their store? That was actually a bright idea.

Can you still use your ps4 while it is creating an external back-up?

Also, installing a new hdd using this method requires two new hdd's? One you do the back-up to, and one you then swop into the PS4. Just want to make sure I have everything on hand to do this properly.

Cheers

Its the SSD cache it has, it stores the most frequently accessed files in there so some bloodborne files would get moved in to it for example with it having to loading the same place after each death.

Also I think the bigger the drive the faster it is (1TB 5400RPM will be faster than 500GB 5400RPM drive).

Marceles

Great update so far. I think my personal standout, as small as it is, is the fact that there is a separate option to restart your system. No more turning off then turning back on just to restart the system when the PS store starts acting up. That's my biggest take away.

Also, maybe it's me but was Playstation Now always a permanent tile?

It's permanent? I thought it was just an app

Foshy

Is it just me or does the PS4 wake up faster from Rest Mode than before?

Suspend/Resume and 60 FPS remote play work great.

ParityBit

Its the SSD cache it has, it stores the most frequently accessed files in there so some bloodborne files would get moved in to it for example with it having to loading the same place after each death.

Also I think the bigger the drive the faster it is (1TB 5400RPM will be faster than 500GB 5400RPM drive).

So is the SSHD a better choice (I know that is relative) than the faster 2TB, or the one that is from the external casing (removed) and put into the PS4?

Piccoro

The iOS and Android PlayStation App was also updated. Changelog:

- [Accessibility] has been added to [Settings].
- TalkBack for Android is now supported.
- You can now delete trophies with 0% achievement progress.
- [Earned Date], [Not Earned], and [Grade] have been added as sorting options for trophies.
- You can now sort content in [Live from PlayStation].
- [Privacy Settings] has been added to [Profile].

Cade

9PKgVSc.png

now i'm ready for arkham knight guys

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Having the store icon moved is a pain in the ass, it doesn't even take advantage of showing new content under it.

I think the "What's New" icon and the "Store" icon should be combined into one, it makes sense as games people have been playing have a link to the store anyway.

So is the SSHD a better choice (I know that is relative) than the faster 2TB, or the one that is from the external casing (removed) and put into the PS4?

I suppose it would depend on the circumstances.

If your loading a game for the first time then the 2TB would probably be faster because none of the files would have been moved to the cache.

However if your playing the same game most of the time then more of the files would get moved to the cache which would result in faster loading times.

Ferr986

The Suspend'Resume is compatible with all the games, right?
Even like the new ones like Bloodborne (especially that one, I worry the mode may conflict in how the game keeps autosaving).

Top Bottom