• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 2.50 FW, PS Vita 3.50 FW updates are up

cyba89

Hah. If that was somehow the tradeoff, I'd happily take it. Not sure how you can conflate a few button presses to multiple loading screens.

But theres no need for a tradeoff. Suspend/Resume does not add any options to the quick menu. So why did they add this really unnecessary sub-menu?

jediyoshi

But theres no need for a tradeoff. Suspend/Resume does not add any options to the quick menu. So why did they add this really unnecessary sub-menu?

You're missing the point. Re-read the post I was quoting, the joke was that it doesn't make sense if that were the case.

We had both options on the same menu screen before the update?

Why not now?

Phew, for a second I thought you were somehow making the case for equating both instances and labeling either as people being impatient.

Button stuff seems pointless. It doesn't even change the prompts on the OS, forget games

Do you see that feature and figure the most important part of it is changing the aesthetics of the OS?

aember

Made a quick video showing how Suspend/Resume works with Bloodborne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyu3chZ_5Eg

I wish it were faster, though it might just be the fact that I'm using the stock HDD and it's nearly filled up.

E: as people have pointed out, it doesn't actually take that long. I didn't give my system enough time to go to sleep which ended up taking more to boot up.

Moral of the story: don't rush shit just to show it off on some weird internet forum.

Vanguard

So many hidden features, why don't they list them in the changelog?

I saw drop shadow in the change log before it installed. Didn't see anything about the downloading stuff though, which is neat. Wondered why toukiden suddenly appeared in my list again haha. Or are you talking about the changelog on the blogs?

BokehKing

Banned
do you really not understand the difference between a button press that takes two seconds and 2 minutes+ that it can take to load a game?
If you don't mind me jumping in, I understand that the 2 minutes was really not that big of a deal, suspend/resume is a convenience yes, but what else were you going to do with that 2 minutes? You were already on the couch no?

Nothing major in the update for me. I think the only benefit is the 0% trophies but it's still minor. Not that I really need the PS4 to improve anything majorly. It works fine for me as is.

DieH@rd

Banned
Made a quick video showing how Suspend/Resume works with Bloodborne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyu3chZ_5Eg

I wish it were faster, though it might just be the fact that I'm using the stock HDD and it's nearly filled up.

Mine Bloodborne boot from suspend is much faster than yours [stock HDD, ~100gb of free space]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FnkpOILurQ

sooo, does this mean you can effectively pause in bloodborne? >_>

Yes. But when it is "paused" your PS4 is shut down, so you can't use it for anything else. :D

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
God damn Diablo 3 remote play is flawless now. I actually need to adjust how I play now that I don't have to compensate for lag.

Edit: Just played around with the TV turned on and the delay between them is barely perceptible now. This is an incredible update.
I already was a huge fan of RP and this update makes it even smoother? Great!

Hoo-doo

Banned

To incentivize the usage of Rest mode, is my guess. And they really should.

Using it, and having your PS4 download every update, patch and game in the background, coupled with booting up in mere seconds back into a game is a huge upgrade in ease of use and streamlines a lot of issues for most people.

It makes sense to use it because it offers a better experience in nearly every way.

Lethal

Neo Member
Do you see that feature and figure the most important part of it is changing the aesthetics of the OS?

Aesthetics? Its hardly aesthetics when I have an Asian PS4 which uses circle for confirm. Every screen prompting me to press the wrong button is what we call 'counter-intuitive'.

Games would be even worse.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Damn, Sony is making it more and more annoying to turn off the PS4 completely.

Now I have the hold the PS button -> Go to another options menu -> Select turn off

*sigh*
Yep.

Don't understand why they changed it.

Rest mode and Turn off being on the same screen before wasn't an issue but now it is? Terrible.
Disable every Power Save Rest Mode function and it will default to Powering Off.

The update tells you that using their New Discover feature.

Unless the complaint is about that the Power Option exists and is a sub-menu.

anderedna

Bah, thunderstorm outside. I'll wait till it stop. Not a good idea to do FW update during weather like this right?

Is this a stable update, i.e. no crashes or weird behavior after update?

breakfuss

Deleting the Sky Fighter trophies felt good. Trying out Suspend/resume and the other stuff now.

Deleting all these goddamn zeroes was one of the most cathartic things ever, man. GOODbye Secret Ponchos, Spelunky, Naughty Bear, Medal of Honor!!! Bye bitch bye.

Vanguard

Just tried Ground Zeroes, 4 seconds after the beep the splash screen was up and 3-4 seconds after that I was back in the game. Although I think it does anyway if it's turned off, 2.0/Gold headset automatically reconnects, and before the game fully booted too :)

Awww yisss!

Upgraded firmware this morning, and ready to get that new 2TB hard drive in there after returning from work :D

I wonder how long it will take to backup nearly 500GB though :eek:

Based on the screen I'm staring at? About 7 hours to back up to a USB2.0 external hard drive.

EDIT: I would suggest anyone who hasn't started yet deletes disc based installs before backing up. They don't take long to re-install, you'll still have your saves, and you then won't have to copy that data between your drives

jediyoshi

Aesthetics? Its hardly aesthetics when I have an Asian PS4 which uses circle for confirm. Every screen prompting me to press the wrong button is what we call 'counter-intuitive'.

Games would be even worse.

I ask because that's all I extrapolated from your post. The actual functionality of what it accomplishes supersedes the inability to do it at all. If the crux, then, is that visual indicators are the hold up, then I'd take it to mean what it's actually functionally providing was irrelevant from your perspective.

Oppo

To incentivize the usage of Rest mode, is my guess. And they really should.

Using it, and having your PS4 download every update, patch and game in the background, coupled with booting up in mere seconds back into a game is a huge upgrade in ease of use and streamlines a lot of issues for most people.

It makes sense to use it because it offers a better experience in nearly every way.
yeah, this.

they want you to use the Rest Mode so you won't whine about having to install patches or download things right as you sit down to play, that's the whole point.

it was designed to use this mode as default, evidenced by the fact that it will enter that mode if you touch the power button.

If you don't mind me jumping in, I understand that the 2 minutes was really not that big of a deal, suspend/resume is a convenience yes, but what else were you going to do with that 2 minutes? You were already on the couch no?
no, please, jump in. that other guy seems to be complaining for the sake of it.

2-5 minutes can add up, not everyone has all the time in the world to sit down and play games.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Ok folks. I'm being the guinea pig for you all.

I removed my 0% trophies, I've wiped my PS3 and I'm restarting from scratch. It's synching trophies with the server now. If I'm right, my 0% trophies are FULLY gone forever.

breakfuss

2-5 minutes can add up, not everyone has all the time in the world to sit down and play games.

It's not only that, but it preserves the game right where you left off. Not all games have a liberal checkpoint system. Hell, as far as I can tell I can't even manually save in GTAV.

Marceles

"Why get an SSD drive for your computer or console? You can't be in that much of a rush"

DieH@rd

Banned

Not only that, game suspend enables us to pause with gaming and shut console down whenever we want to without the need to seek for specific checkpoint/savepoint [for example far between save stations in Alien Isolation, during bossfight in Bloodborne, mid-mission in MGS GZ...].

I view this feature as absolute great addition.

It's not only that, but it preserves the game right where you left off. Not all games have a liberal checkpoint system. Hell, as far as I can tell I can't even manually save in GTAV.

Quick save through the mobile phone or go to bed at a safehouse, but I get what you mean. Sometimes there are moments when a save point is not in sight and this will help for moments like those for sure.

I also thought it was weird that they moved the power off option to its own menu at first, but then I recalled how sometimes I have accidentally powered off when I wanted to go into rest mode. Now that games are suspended, doing that would have been more annoying. So I can see why it's in its own menu now.

Subaru

So now we can backup our PS4 into an external HD, but we can't use an external HD to store games that we are going to play ,right?

Blastoise

Banned
Suspend and resume is working like on the Vita. It will need more trial and error with different games, but this is game changing for me.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
They didn't mention this in the patch notes but you can hide trophies now as well. Under trophy privacy settings you can exclude certain games from showing up on your list.

Paganmoon

Not only that, game suspend enables us to pause with gaming and shut console down whenever we want to without the need to seek for specific checkpoint/savepoint [for example far between save stations in Alien Isolation, during bossfight in Bloodborne, mid-mission in MGS GZ...].

I view this feature as absolute great addition.

Hell yeah. Might actually continue my playthrough of Alien: Isolation now, sucked that I couldn't stop playing whenever I wanted, without loosing progress.

CLEEK

Button stuff seems pointless. It doesn't even change the prompts on the OS, forget games

It's a massive thing for gamers with disabilities who need custom controller etc. that's why its in the new accesability section, along with the zoom, contrast, bold fonts etc.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
It's a massive thing for gamers with disabilities who need custom controller etc. that's why its in the new accesability section, along with the zoom, contrast, bold fonts etc.
I'm also going to make a simple remote play scheme that swaps the shoulder buttons and triggers. Seeing as you can quickly enable and disable it, it's worth doing.

Skux

Timed it with my phone - from the first press of the PS4 controller to playing Super Stardust Ultra was just under 10 seconds.

This update is great. I just dont like that we have PS Vue at the xbar and the power off option is in a sub menu. Other than that i was able to delete some of trophies, s/r works great even with Netflix. Happy we finally goy this after a long wait.

breakfuss

Quick save through the mobile phone or go to bed at a safehouse, but I get what you mean. Sometimes there are moments when a save point is not in sight and this will help for moments like those for sure.

I also thought it was weird that they moved the power off option to its own menu at first, but then I recalled how sometimes I have accidentally powered off when I wanted to go into rest mode. Now that games are suspended, doing that would have been more annoying. So I can see why it's in its own menu now.

haha, i seriously had no clue. i was wondering how the hell this was not an option. Thanks!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Nobody likes basic ui interaction getting worse that's for sure.
I would think showing and not showing various options based on what you selected is an improvement.

For example someone that doesn't require accessibility doesn't need it to be shown, someone that does would like that to be quickly changed.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Nobody likes basic ui interaction getting worse that's for sure.

Eh, most basic PS4 interaction just got 10 times better with suspend/resume working as well as it does. Using rest mode is worth it.

Timed it with my phone - from the first press of the PS4 controller to playing Super Stardust Ultra was under 10 seconds.

From beep to BB gameplay was under 5 seconds for me. Timed it too.

Top Bottom