• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 2.50 FW, PS Vita 3.50 FW updates are up

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The Suspend'Resume is compatible with all the games, right?
Even like the new ones like Bloodborne (especially that one, I worry the mode may conflict in how the game keeps autosaving).
Bloodborne works for me, even in Online Mode.

Assassin's Creed Unity doesn't work for some reason.

noomi

Very good update, glad this time this week.

My wishlist now:

- Folders
- Media over USB
- Friends notifications
- An actual decent media remote like the old PS3 one

Once they get those in, I will be completely satisfied with the operating system. Probably going to wait a while though...

Donos

The Suspend'Resume is compatible with all the games, right?
Even like the new ones like Bloodborne (especially that one, I worry the mode may conflict in how the game keeps autosaving).

certain games won't work with it (ppl are betting that this is for online games like MMOs, Destiny etc.). Bloodborne puts you back at the title screen if you play online (same as if you would loose connection to PSN).

Pillville

Button stuff seems pointless. It doesn't even change the prompts on the OS, forget games

Changing all of the System's UI and every game's UI would be a huge amount of work.

Besides, you're thinking about this backwards.
Say you swap R1 and R2 so that you can shoot with R1 button.
Then really R2 still shoots, it's just that R2 is now the front shoulder button.

Very good update, glad this time this week.

My wishlist now:

- Folders
- Media over USB
- Friends notifications
- An actual decent media remote like the old PS3 one

Once they get those in, I will be completely satisfied with the operating system. Probably going to wait a while though...

DSix

Banned
I don't like where the PS Store now lives on the PS4.

I preferred it when it was on the top menu bar.

Why did they move it?!

Yeah I liked it better on the top bar.

Anything that moves my current game farther away from the first spot is bad.

Ferr986

Bloodborne works for me, even in Online Mode.

Assassin's Creed Unity doesn't work for some reason.

certain games won't work with it (ppl are betting that this is for online games like MMOs, Destiny etc.). Bloodborne puts you back at the title screen if you play online (same as if you would loose connection to PSN).

Nice, Thanks. As long as it doesnt fuck up the save that's good!

McSpidey

Copying saves over to a USB3 stick is definitely faster now.
Suspend/Resume worked fine in the DOA5 F2P/Demo but using it in Minecraft looks like it will work but it then automatically exits your game back to the main menu/autosaves on resume.
60FPS RemotePlay is amazing! Sad to see gamedvr recordings are still only 30fps (next item on the wishlist).

benny_a

Does the suspend feature show you online and add to your play time?
No. The game is not running at that point.

The system is in a much lower powered state and only keeps the application on life support so it can be resumed later. The game doesn't compute anything at this point as it has ceased running.

Making their terrible UI even worse. Yeah, brilliant.

I never understood this complaint. What makes it terrible? You just look at it. It's not like it's moving up and down and flickering all over the screen super fancy to make everything else disappear. It's not even an extra step. It's literally just one icon. I don't get how that makes the entire UI terrible. I'm starting to feel like we are using the abbreviation very loosely tbh.

It's permanent? I thought it was just an app

I don't know, it's the first time I'm seeing it and I've never seen it before. Maybe it isn't. I haven't really tried to delete it though haha

Lethal

Neo Member
Changing all of the System's UI and every game's UI would be a huge amount of work.

Besides, you're thinking about this backwards.
Say you swap R1 and R2 so that you can shoot with R1 button.
Then really R2 still shoots, it's just that R2 is now the front shoulder button.

Ok, well for arguments sake, let's just say I wish there was an option to switch between US and Jap control schemes. I can't get used to using circle and this patch doesn't really help at all.

I guess I assumed there should be some kind of internal input controller that accepts and manages all inputs and a folder where the symbols for each button are held.

I shall continue waiting, I suppose.

Right. And wouldn't it benefit them even further to have the visual prompts changed accordingly? I think that should be the next step, if possible.

They'll probably update that in some minor patch. Though if you're expecting game prompts to change, vast majority (if not all) of them are hard coded to present the buttons they do that's not something Sony can control. Sony will need to create an API to handle the display of buttons and give developers the ability to customize the look of said buttons so that they fit within the design of their games.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Ok, well for arguments sake, let's just say I wish there was an option to switch between US and Jap control schemes. I can't get used to using circle and this patch doesn't really help at all.

I guess I assumed there should be some kind of internal input controller that accepts and manages all inputs and a folder where the symbols for each button are held.

I shall continue waiting, I suppose.

Realize though that your issue with an imported Japanese PS4 is quite a bit less prevalent and important than giving disabled gamers worldwide some basic accessibility options.

If the accessibility options and button changing catches on and more people demand that button prompts change with it, they'll probably find a way to do it later. It's just rather an non-issue at this point.

benny_a

Yeah... I would assume since AC:U already takes up a good chunk system resources, maybe there isn't enough to suspend it?
I think the explanation is more pedestrian.

The PS4 firmware used to come out for developers and customers at approximately the same time. But you could probably already set flags in previous SDK versions that make your game be impossible to suspend.
It's why you had a few games that disabled Shareplay or disabling Remote Play for a patch or more.

Hopefully this new way of doing beta firmware by Sony means that developers can just experiment in beta without screwing customers in a production environment.

Menaged

Maybe it's been asked, but suppose I'm away for about 12 hours, are there any downsides for using suspend resume, other than electric bill (which doesn't effect it too much anyway)? I guess what I mean, is it in any way bad for the console to stay in that state for a long while?

Lethal

Neo Member
Realize though that your issue with an imported Japanese PS4 is quite a bit less prevalent and important than giving disabled gamers worldwide some basic accessibility options.

If the accessibility options and button changing catches on and more people demand that button prompts change with it, they'll probably find a way to do it later. It's just rather an non-issue at this point.

Its not an import. I live in Hong Kong.

Also, I totally understand that this is awesome for disabled gamers. I'm sure its something that's been missing for a long time. However, I'm also sure that a change in visual prompts would benefit them, too.

SerTapTap

Will update the Vita and wait on the ps4, don't want to duck up the 20th anniversary one. Does 30fps rp still work if I do that?

Holy shit 7 hours?! How much data are you saving mine is about 400GB filled at the moment. I could delete old disc installs I guess.... would this also delete patch data though?

7 HOURS!?

*edit*

I am using a USB 3.0 external HD though.... so maybe a bit faster I would hope...
It takes nearly 24 hours to back up my ps3 (usb2 only) at this point. Almost a terabyte.

Maybe it's been asked, but suppose I'm away for about 12 hours, are there any downsides for using suspend resume, other than electric bill (which doesn't effect it too much anyway)? I guess what I mean, is it in any way bad for the console to stay in that state for a long while?

Nah I severely doubt you'd cause any issues to your PS4. Suspend/Resume was built with the idea of being away from your console for even longer than 12 hours.

Electric bill is your only concern and even that is minuscule ;)

Buntabox

Well it bricked mine. Damn thing won't turn on. Blue light flashes and beeps; then goes dark. Awesome. Glad I haven't bought Bloodborne yet....

Z3M0G

Vita remote play update, holy shit.

I'm really impressed by how much better the experience is now.

Reading comments like this has me really excited! Remote play always worked great for me, if I was a certain distance from my PS4... if it improves overall stability and I can now play from my bedroom without quickly dropping, I'll be ecstatic!

noomi

I'm really happy to hear about the remote play improvements guys, that's awesome!

Are you guys testing it on the same wifi network, or from another location to see improvements?

bug_42

Well it bricked mine. Damn thing won't turn on. Blue light flashes and beeps; then goes dark. Awesome. Glad I haven't bought Bloodborne yet....

I am scared to update because of this. I hate dealing with Sony support, because they suck.

Top Bottom