• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: Coming to a Best Buy near you

Megatron

Allright, the hype in this thread convinced me, at 9:20am I left my house and went to Best Buy. I got ticket #39, and they looked like they had another 40 or more tickets in the guy's hand. The next 3 people behind me got PS4's also, so the third guy behind me had ticket #42. The guy behind him got an Xbox One. He got ticket #5. So at least at that point, 42 people had come to buy PS4s and only 5 had come for XB1s.

WOW. If uh, anyone in the Portland area wants an XB1, looks like Cascade Station is going to have a lot of them.

Aaand more details:

Super pleasant experience outside of the brutal weather.
There was a 14 or so boy who just refused to get out of line when everyone else went back to their cars. This was around 850.... yeah, little guy stood outside until the manager let people in around 950. This was in like 2 degree weather mind you. So around the 920 mark I drove up to him and asked he needed to warm up in my car. Wouldn't budge lol. So I parked and decided to keep him and another nice lady company. His resolve was adorable and I asked him if he wanted a coffee as there was a Krispy Kreme across the parking lot. He took the offer gratefully and so I hooked him up :)
I also bought a dozen donuts for the other folks standing in line but they politely declined :)
Eventually we were let in and the systems were behind two designated counters. When I left there were like 3 ps4s left and still a fair amount of XBOs lol.
Picked up Killzone as they pricematched Amazon. In Wal-Mart right now waiting to pick up LEGO Marvel as its also on sale on their site but not in store.

All in all a pretty wonderful experience!

Megatron

Also there was family of 5 in front of me, and the Best Buy guy refused to give them tickets. He said "I told you all the same thing last week, I don't know why you're here again. I know you're only going to scalp them." LOL. The family without a word got out of line and left.

Dinda

They should have done this with alot of the units sent to other countries honestly. It's better to get a huge early lead in the US instead of sending units to places that are already Sony strongholds. The demand is clearly much more for PS4, but they just don't have the units here.

Yeah of course, taking customers everywhere outside of the US for granted is surely the best thing to do for them......

I live close to that store, thought about trying to help a friend pick one up for her husband's Xmas present, but I'm still in bed so I guess not, haha...good luck! Let us know if you got one and what the situation was when they open...

I predict a lot of cranky people if there's seriously only 20 consoles here.

Yeah of course, taking customers everywhere outside of the US for granted is surely the best thing to do for them.

It's not, but alot of these places weren't going to buy X1 anyway(because they can't or due to being Sony strongholds) so they should have diverted those units to the US to keep up with demand and get a bigger lead in the largest territory. It's something MS is doing really well now. They are flooding the US with stock.

Radec

Aaand more details:

There was a 14 or so boy who just refused to get out of line when everyone else went back to their cars. This was around 850.... yeah, little guy stood outside until the manager let people in around 950. This was in like 2 degree weather mind you. So around the 920 mark I drove up to him and asked he needed to warm up in my car. Wouldn't budge lol. So I parked and decided to keep him and another nice lady company. His resolve was adorable and I asked him if he wanted a coffee as there was a Krispy Kreme across the parking lot. He took the offer gratefully and so I hooked him up :)
I also bought a dozen donuts for the other folks standing in line but they politely declined :)
Eventually we were let in and the systems were behind two designated counters. When I left there were like 3 ps4s left and still a fair amount of XBOs lol.
Picked up Killzone as they pricematched Amazon. In Wal-Mart right now waiting to pick up LEGO Marvel as its also on sale on their site but not in store.

Doing good deed while getting yourself a nice treat.

Gj.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Allright, the hype in this thread convinced me, at 9:20am I left my house and went to Best Buy. I got ticket #39, and they looked like they had another 40 or more tickets in the guy's hand. The next 3 people behind me got PS4's also, so the third guy behind me had ticket #42. The guy behind him got an Xbox One. He got ticket #5. So at least at that point, 42 people had come to buy PS4s and only 5 had come for XB1s.

WOW. If uh, anyone in the Portland area wants an XB1, looks like Cascade Station is going to have a lot of them.
Wow, that's pretty lopsided. The marketing blitz by Microsoft has been seemingly double that of Sony's, too. I think the extra $100, even when you're already spending $400, really makes a difference to a lot of people.

Boke1879

Or just skip Japan all together.

Nah I don't think it would be smart at all to do that. PS4 launches in Feb. in Japan right? Around that time sales in other territories are most likely going to slow down a bit. Perfect time to launch in Japan.

It's not like Japan is going to buy millions of these things anyway.

CCIE

Banned
Cold as crap in Colorado, but a friend scored a PS4 this morning. Said it was nuts out there. Everyone drinking Starbucks in the freaking snow. That is hardcore. I wouldn't do it.

Oni Jazar

They should have done this with alot of the units sent to other countries honestly. It's better to get a huge early lead in the US instead of sending units to places that are already Sony strongholds. The demand is clearly much more for PS4, but they just don't have the units here.

Agreed. Would have sucked for everyone else but Sony should have focused on US/UK for at least till after Black Friday. Not having units piled up for that was a win for Microsoft.

Knoxcore

Talked to the BB is Nashua, NH, they said the line started at 5am, they got 4:1 shipment in favor of PS4s and it was their first shipment of them since launch. Most importantly, she said they are doing it again next Sun!

This is key. If Sony hopes to 'win' in the US they need to ship as many consoles during the holiday season.

I live close to that store, thought about trying to help a friend pick one up for her husband's Xmas present, but I'm still in bed so I guess not, haha...good luck! Let us know if you got one and what the situation was when they open...

Got #22 of 90 consoles. the guys went back inside with tickets in hand so its worth coming down if you really want one

Jomjom

Banned
Aaand more details:

Don't know if you should be asking kids to warm up in your car haha.

Mrbob

It's not, but alot of these places weren't going to buy X1 anyway(because they can't or due to being Sony strongholds) so they should have diverted those units to the US to keep up with demand and get a bigger lead in the largest territory. It's something MS is doing really well now. They are flooding the US with stock.

It is tough to speculate until we know actual shipments from both companies. Sounds like the PS4 day one shipment was huge, and the shipment Best Buy just received looked to be big as well. It is very possible Sony has out shipped MS in the NA, but there is just way more demand than even Sony anticipated. At least we'll find out soon for November and not too long for December. Looking at the 2.1 million sold number Sony has put a priority on NA anyway. 1.4 million sold in NA and 700K from Europe. NA shipments are double and it is still sold out.

Playstation is a global brand. Sony can't just give the rest of the world the middle finger to supply only NA. This would be way more damaging than some lost sales in NA.

hawk2025

I think the shipping numbers tell a less interesting story than the repeated and consistent reports of much lower X1 demand today.

I wouldn't expect demand to soften this early. I expected the supply constraint to be binding for a while longer, regardless of give-or-take 500k units.

Jomjom

Banned
Or just skip Japan all together.

I don't think the Asia launch even includes Japan. That's not till February so I don't think that will be an issue. How many people are really going to buy ps4s in Taiwan and HK? Everyone I know in Taiwan who wants one just got them from the US.

From Sony's point of view all that should really matter is the US, they will be the console with the largest user base everywhere else. Everyone knows it including MS.

Dinda

Who says they weren't going to buy an Xbox anyway? It's the moment a company begins to think that way that they will lose their lead in these areas.

Of course they must take advantage of the big interest in the US, and that is what they are doing. The US may be the single biggest market, but as a whole it isn't really bigger than europe (don't have numbers but i would think they are about the same). And still, the US did get over 1 million on launch while Europe only got 700.000. If they make it anymore uneven it will really come back to hurt them.

I'm in Germany and it is absolutely impossible to get a PS4 here. Do you think everyone would think it's ok when they realize Sony don't gives a fuck and sent everything they produce to the US?

Ugh I've seen the "Perfect Day" PS4 commercial twice today during NFL... it's such a bad ad. One of the few commercials tht I have to change the channel when it comes on.

Sorry this is the only general PS4 thread I could find on the first 5 pages, haha.

Don't know if you should be asking kids to warm up in your car haha.

Thought of that too lol and yeah I understand. That being said, the parking lot was FULL of people and I parked right in the front. Everyone could get a good look and me and my CRV :)
I got two boys myself so Dad-Mode kicked in and just didnt like seeing him suffer. Kid was FREEZING :(

Jomjom

Banned
Thought of that too lol and yeah I understand. That being said, the parking lot was FULL of people and I parked right in the front. Everyone could get a good look and me and my CRV :)
I got two boys myself so Dad-Mode kicked in and just didnt like seeing him suffer. Kid was FREEZING :(

Haha I know you were just being a nice guy. Trying to look out for my fellow gaffer this holiday!

Toki767

Drove by my Best Buy on the way to the gym this morning. There were easily close to 200 people standing outside. The line wrapped around two corners. It was pretty ridiculous.

jmcoo7

Banned
Drove by my Best Buy on the way to the gym this morning. There were easily close to 200 people standing outside. The line wrapped around two corners. It was pretty ridiculous.

Jeez it's a repeat of the ps2 days, this thing is on fire.

Who says they weren't going to buy an Xbox anyway? It's the moment a company begins to think that way that they will lose their lead in these areas.

Definitely some of those people would by X1s, but the thing is there are a large group of people trying to buy these as gifts that will just get a X1 instead of a PS4 if the PS4 isn't available because they don't want their kids sad on Christmas. Worldwide PS4 is easily beating X1. That's a given.

Anecdotal evidence from my time in line:

Store: Delafield, Wisconsin
Got in line about 5:20AM, was third.
The store had 27 PS4s and a similar amount of Xbox Ones.

Only five people in line wanted an Xbox One.
More than 45 showed up for PS4s, the end of the line people were told that any units not picked up by noon today would be put for sale at that time.

It was cold (about 5 degrees), but I got my PS4 now, and am currently installing games as I try them out. Probably won't be able to play a ton until the semester is over in two weeks, but at least I don't need to search anymore.

Worldwide PS4 is easily beating X1. That's a given.

I wouldn't bet on this, especially since Microsoft is better at keeping XO's in stock than Sony is keeping PS4's in stock. There might be more demand for PS4's, but that's not going to do Sony much good if they can't keep a stable supply.

I wouldn't bet on this, especially since Microsoft is better at keeping XO's in stock than Sony is keeping PS4's in stock. There might be more demand for PS4's, but that's not going to do Sony much good if they can't keep a stable supply.

It is. You can extrapolate that from http://bf4stats.com/ The PS4 is always in the lead of number of players and that should be indicative of overall sales as other games like COD also have a lead on PS4 according to other posts.

My BB had slightly more PS4's than XB1's, PS4's sold out pretty quickly after opening, still had a good amount of XB1's on the pallet when I left.

kyser73

Aaand more details:

The world needs more people like you, sir.

gcubed

its not even a question. PS4 is most likely ahead in the NA as well, you don't think that MS will tout 1 million in the NA when they hit it?

Anyway, the whole premise that started it was to pull EU stock for NA and UK. There was no way to know HOW popular it would be, and you don't want to screw a location that has been very good to you for generations.

It is. You can extrapolate that from http://bf4stats.com/ The PS4 is always in the lead of number of players and that should be indicative of overall sales as other games like COD also have a lead on PS4 according to other posts.

Uhh, that's only counting the people who play Battlefield 4. Hardly a useful way of detecting how many sales each console is getting, considering not many people over the age of 18 play BF or CoD.

InSpectre

Store employees from Gamestop to Target say they are getting PS4 shipments 2 to 3 times per week, but they're gone within minutes. I'm not sure PS4 has a comparative lack of supply at the moment, just extremely strong demand.

Top Bottom