• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: Coming to a Best Buy near you

cakefoo

I had no luck. I got there early and the guy told me I missed the ticket giveaway by about 6 minutes. I have mine already, but this one is for my kid, and I'm getting sick of this ticketing bullshit. I buy all of my shit at this BB or Amazon, and I'm about to give up BB because of the smug douche of a manager that kept telling me that they had none in the store while they were hoarding them. Sour grapes, maybe, but what happened to going to a store and buying something that was advertised? I think I need to go save the last humans and blow off some steam.

Edit: if anyone is looking for an Xbox One, they had plenty. Smug douche said he only handed out one ticket. I almost bought one just to exchange for a PS4 when they are actually available.
"Buying something that was advertised".- what did you expect them to do, produce even more PS4's out of thin air to satisfy all possible demand? They fulfilled their legal obligation of holding units to be available for the Sunday ad.

I laugh at people like you who show up late and get all cranky that something sold out.

I had no luck. I got there early and the guy told me I missed the ticket giveaway by about 6 minutes. I have mine already, but this one is for my kid, and I'm getting sick of this ticketing bullshit. I buy all of my shit at this BB or Amazon, and I'm about to give up BB because of the smug douche of a manager that kept telling me that they had none in the store while they were hoarding them. Sour grapes, maybe, but what happened to going to a store and buying something that was advertised? I think I need to go save the last humans and blow off some steam.

Edit: if anyone is looking for an Xbox One, they had plenty. Smug douche said he only handed out one ticket. I almost bought one just to exchange for a PS4 when they are actually available.

Gotta get there early, its just like the Wii, you try Target? They have the console in the flyer this week too which meant they had to have some units

Holy shit, went by my local BB and the line is ridiculous. Its where I picked up my launch unit and the line looked just as long today as it did during launch night.

LegoDad

They were not hoarding them. They are advertising them in their Sunday Ad. By law you must have a representation of the item you put in your ad. If they held 2, you would be angry, they hold 30, you are now angry. This is the correct and best way to deal with the situation, especially tickets. Tickets allow the PS4 fiasco to be handled orderly. They also do this for Black Friday and cuts out the craziness.

def sim

Buying yet another PS4 for a family member and it's hells of brick in this line. They only have two registers going for 100+ people. Bummer.

Fyi, my mom is waiting in a store like I am, but 2 hours ahead. She said they handed out tickets 30 min before open. She was 42nd in line and got a ticket.

Outside my BB right now. Walked into a dude who got turned away at the door. Told me they arent even doing tickets and to come back at 10.
Thinking im gonna just hang out in the parking lot for the next couple hours and really see what happens then...

Akkad

Banned
Damn, the PS4 is a fucking monster. I feel sorry for anybody that is waiting outside here in this cold.

inner-G

Banned

Why didn't you go earlier?

people are just hungry for the next gen experience. hope everyone gets one.

just a few more days until asia launch as well.

I almost got sucked into the hype and then I finally accepted I wasn't too thrilled about any of the launch titles. I'm safely back at Defcon 5.

Parking lot is starting to fill up. Kinda mad they're not doing a ticketing system as I can only imagine what its gonna be like in the next hour.

entremet

I just don't get the hype for this system right now.

I guess it does proves how long of a generation we had. Too fucking long.

A lot busier than I expected.

Our store had a line start before 6am, when I left at 10 all 40 PS4s were gone and we had 10-15 Xbox Ones left. It was 15 degrees & started snowing. Crazy

Edit: Should note final inventory was 40-25 in favor of PS4

Replicant

Better wear a mylar jacket and bring a taser with you if you plan on competing for the PS4 at Best Buy.

hunger-games-cornucopia-ps4.jpg

There you go!

MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOR!

tumblr_mx967lG7Zp1rl08k4o2_500.gif

Pimpwerx

Not sure why I even tried. I could've slept in an additional hour and scored just as badly. There was an accident and then the cops had shutoff I-95 near the exit. I didn't get there until 11am on the suit and the line was over 100 people. The store had already solar out its allotment, but people stayed in line. I have no idea why. I have to rethink my approach to this whole thing, because I'm never waiting in line for a console. PEACE.

I just don't get the hype for this system right now.

I guess it does proves how long of a generation we had. Too fucking long.

It's got the best versions of a lot of huge games from this year. What the hell is so hard to understand? Need For Speed, NBA and Assassins in general look stunning on PS4 which is absolutely not the case with that other console.

I got to my BB at 2:30am, I was 11th in line. Fell asleep around 4 with only 1 person behind me. Woke up to 30 behind me at 7. The people were cool and we chatted and kept spots in line while others went out for breakfast and whatnot. The store had about 40-50 PS4s. Only ~10 Xbones were sold.

So we ended up standing outside. There were 10 or so of us and lady told us to just wait in our cars. They have 56 or so PS4s according to the manager. Still no tickets and the manager thinks people are just going to orderly line up 10 minutes before opening and mosey on in.

jetsetrez

Wife did some recon for me at local BB.
Sales associate was nice and said (don't know if she was lying) that they were actually getting their shipment tonight. Said they would open at 10am tomorrow, but if people wanted to que up earlier, they would indeed receive a ticket in the order of which they came.
Thinking I'm gonna show up around 830 to scout and see if anyone is out there. I think the insane cold front we're experiencing right now up here in Washington may deter some folks.
Where at in WA? Any field report?

Just got back from BB. I waited 8 hrs. I didnt want to miss this chace. There were people who waited longer. They had 80 PS4s and 30 XOs. All 80 were gone by 10. 10 XOs were left. Met some cool people and glad i waited. It was slightly cold, Texas weather, but i dont mind losing some sleep .

gwarm01

My store has them in stock, and I kind of want to pick one up, but honestly the games just aren't there yet. It would just collect dust for the first year like my Wii U did.

anadwin

Neo Member
Got to my BB around 6:00am and was number 14 for a PS4. It was cold outside but the store allowed the first group to sit in the vestibule to stay out of the elements until 9:00am. They then made us move outside where they split the lines into PS4 and Xbox One respectively. The PS4 line was probably three times as long as the Xbox line, no kidding. Do not know how many they had of each system, but over heard somebody say their ticket number was 75 for a PS4. When leaving the store I noticed no one waiting in the XBOX line and several people still in the PS4 line.

Bowler

My local BB got 40 and 40. One of which was out in the first 40 minutes, two hours later the other one still has a few left.

Guess which is which.

johnny956

Our best buy had 75 ps4's and 34 Xbox. I handed out tickets this morning. We had 6 ps4's left at opening and 18 xboxs left.

As of writing this we have 12 xboxs left and we are out of ps4's.

hawk2025

Oh man.

All the anecdotes are kind building up to a VERY consistent story in this thread.

Was the advertising the same for the two consoles?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Brother stood in line for 2 hours apparently. Was about 25th in line. It's like 7° here. Ouch. He said the line was finally about 70 or so deep.

Supposedly 66 PS4s and 50 XBONEs. They had 1 line for everyone and would just call "next for blah". He said it seemed like 1 XBONE for every 5-10 PS4s. 3 XBONEs in front of him and the 4th one he said was about 10 people behind him.

Abdiel

I'll be heading into work later, I'll check the stock lists for both for my district and try to post an update if we're not too busy.

Top Bottom