• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Review Thread

PS4 has no games. lol okay. I thought this was a HW review.

The share/broadcasting is flawless. The OS is smooth and the system design is is significantly smaller than X1 despite having more power. Remote play is quick and damn near lag free. The power use is on the level of a PS3 slim. OS might be a little half baked but damn good way to start.

I'm fucking pumped.

Polygon's video review sums it all up.

"Right now, this is a game console without a game to recommend it."
Well, the reason I chose the X1 over PS4 was largely for the launch window games. But, I'd rather the hardware reviews focus on hardware and UI as we know there will be great games.

andycapps

I'm expecting a significantly higher review from Polygon for the Xbone. It's based on how Polygon seemed to be reviewing PS4 by the pitch that Sony has been giving of it being about games and not presenting as a media device like the Xbone. Polygon will review the Xbone to see how well Kinect works, how well it functions as a media box, they'll look at what has changed with XBL, etc with the caveat that games may not look quite as good as PS4, but since it's being positioned as a media device that can play games, if it does the former better, I think they'll give it more of a pass.

Nevermind the fact that as soon as Infamous and a few more exclusives come out that it will make their review (and others like it that focused on launch lineup) irrelevant. Mentioning the lack of system sellers at launch is pretty much a given and IMO shouldn't be factored into the rating of a console itself, but it should be mentioned.

spwolf

I'm expecting a significantly higher review from Polygon for the Xbone. It's based on how Polygon seemed to be reviewing PS4 by the pitch that Sony has been giving of it being about games and not presenting as a media device like the Xbone. Polygon will review the Xbone to see how well Kinect works, how well it functions as a media box, they'll look at what has changed with XBL, etc with the caveat that games may not look quite as good as PS4, but since it's being positioned as a media device that can play games, if it does the former better, I think they'll give it more of a pass.

Nevermind the fact that as soon as Infamous and a few more exclusives come out that it will make their review (and others like it that focused on launch lineup) irrelevant. Mentioning the lack of system sellers at launch is pretty much a given and IMO shouldn't be factored into the rating of a console itself, but it should be mentioned.

considering that XB1 right now doesnt have many features actually working, or kinect games playing, it should not be like that.

Maulik

Remember:

Improved UI - check
Better online infrastructure - check
seamless game streaming - check
higher res and perf on multiplats - check
vastly superior controller - check
remote play with your vita - check

Should you buy this system? No.

S¡mon;89676345 said:
So the general negative points are...

- No MP3/DLNA/downloaded videos support
- Game line-up is underwhelming
- PS4 OS could be a bit better when it comes to the organization of your digitally downloaded games

Meh, I can live with these points. Generally because I rarely play MP3s on my PS3.

Game line-up, for me, is great. I mean, come on, Battlefield 4 (for the first time 64-person multiplayer), FIFA 14 in 1080p, AC4: Black Flag. We've got some huge triple A titles here.

Agreed.

Item #1 - MP3/CD Playback/DLNA will all be added with a patch
Item #2 - As it was with every console at launch, this will not last, and IMO the PS4 has the strongest launch line up in Sony's history, minus the Vita.
Item #3 - Not a huge deal breaker, and has the chance of being rectified somewhere down the line.

We'll get better, more varied games, and the OS isn't stagnant, it will change and be patched million times over, as it was on the PS3.

This is a good launch

curb

Banned
Well, the reason I chose the X1 over PS4 was largely for the launch window games. But, I'd rather the hardware reviews focus on hardware and UI as we know there will be great games.

A hardware review itself shouldn't really hinge on the (optional) game software. A system recommendation - which it seems that few outlets are really doing - should encompass not only the launch window games but the system's overall promise and whether you should buy now or wait.

Polygon did a hardware review. Kotaku did a system recommendation.

A recommendation to me is much more subjective both for author and reader. I'm going PS4 because there are titles in the launch that appeal to me as well as the promise of what's coming from their internal studios. That's a personal preference.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Remember:

Improved UI - check
Better online infrastructure - check
seamless game streaming - check
higher res and perf on multiplats - check
vastly superior controller - check
remote play with your vita - check

Should you buy this system? No.

Hardware review - want more software. Thanks for reading our hardware review.

I'm confused.. so big holiday titles that people are excited for year on year counts as an underwhelming software lineup?

Seriously.. these "journalists". What do they actually want?! I haven't seen any coverage of the F2P titles either. The quality of these obsolete reviews just solidifies the fact that I'm excited for the hardware

Damaniel

Banned
Pretty much sounds like your standard hardware reviews - 'lots of potential, needs more games. Pick it up later.'

That's fine with me. I'm an early adopter, and usually buy consoles day 1. I know that the launch games aren't going to push the hardware, and that better games will come later. I'm just glad to see a relative lack of (previously unknown) bad news.

If it isn't going to be a nitty gritty tech review I don't see the point

These seem like overarching reviews of the system which aren't really the same thing. Not yet can be said about every tech product in existence. You don't need them to live and they usually get cheaper/better with time.

Pain

Banned
Polygon's video review sums it all up.

"Right now, this is a game console without a game to recommend it."
So is every other video game console at launch.
I think most of us are just buying it for the visual and performance upgrades in multiplats.

old

I think everyone ought to open the Polygon review just to see how beautiful the page itself is

Their page layout is just amazing. A new standard in review design.

But I agree with the gist of their review. Sony's focusing on gaming with the PS4. It's probably the best gaming system this gen in terms of "gaming" ability and may end up with the best games. But the games aren't there yet. It reaffirms my position on the PS4 that I've had since E3. I will buy a PS4...but not until the library warrants it. And the library doesn't justify it at the moment. Maybe in 6 months? Maybe in a year or two? One day it will have the games to command my purchase. But that day is not today.

Pain

Banned
They are also on current gen so apparently you can just ignore those.
They play and look much better on PS4.

If you're buying PS4 or XB1 for their exclusives, you must have low standards. I guarantee the XB1 will get poor reviews on its exclusives as well.

PS4 is Eeyore Gies approved

Muw9d3E.png

Good review from Polygon. About a half a point more than I expected from them.

;)

Yoday

I don't care if a system launches with ten masterpieces, games should not be considered in a consoles "review" outside of graphics capabilities. This is just...weird.

For the record, I think all of these sites are dropping the ball by not slamming the UI for not having a damn game library. WTF Sony?!

Static Jak

Oh no, Knack and Ryse will be used in the console wars to come. Just like Sixaxis-focused games like Lair, Wii Whatever and Kinect games.

But you have a great point. When you get a console at launch, your game selection will eventually pale in a years time. I didn't end up loving my PS4 until a little bit under a half a year later. Same thing with my Xbox 360.

These are all appetizers. I'm waiting for my fucking Gundam game.

I think it's a case of a lot of us judging a console by exclusives out the gate when the real meat will always be 3rd party.

I know someone whose your average gamer. Not in the hardcore, looks up every nugget of info that we all are here. Just someone who buys a few games a year which is more the norm. I can safely recommend him the PS4 since I know he'll want to play Fifa 14, COD and BF4. I doubt he even knows a thing about Knack or cares.

There's little discussion on how important 3rd party actually is. BF4 for example, is going to be way better on next gen than it is current. Anyone with a PS3 or 360 won't get the same quality experience.

Anyway, I think from March onwards is when we'll see both machines really rev up. Till then, typical early adoption rules.

Forgive me if I am beating a dead horse...(looked but cant find)

Have they said anything else about the wobble the system had during the Giant Bomb video???

Alej

Banned
Their page layout is just amazing. A new standard in review design.

But I agree with the gist of their review. Sony's focusing on gaming with the PS4. It's probably the best gaming system this gen in terms of "gaming" ability and may end up with the best games. But the games aren't there yet. It reaffirms my position on the PS4 that I've had since E3. I will buy a PS4...but not until the library warrants it. And the library doesn't justify it at the moment. Maybe in 6 months? Maybe in a year or two? One day it will have the games to command my purchase. But that day is not today.

What? Plenty of games at launch. None for you maybe? Reviews are opinions. I would buy 4 or 5 games for it at launch if i could. Killzone Shadow Fall looks great to me, i want my nextgen FIFA (must-buy for me), Assassin's Creed IV looks to be better on PS4, Knack not-to-shabby... there is games. Maybe just not for you.

PS4 should not be reviewed with launch games in mind, but by the promise it materializes. No one would buy a system at launch if it were all about games.

Sir_Vival

"I don't remember PEWPEWPEWPEWPEW being a part of the Star Wars movies."
So the battery only lasts 7-8 hours on the controller? Is that for real?

And that's when it's new. Batteries lose max capacity over time. I very much prefer Microsoft's approach when it comes to batteries. All you need is a charger and some Eneloops and you're good to go. It makes the controller a bit heavier, but I personally don't mind.

console reviews are worthless.

Lmao site that get free consoles are telling others not to buy a console.

if you review the games you've said your part on the console, since a console review would only cover its state on ~day 1

Not only am I buying both next gen consoles day one, im taking time off work to play them

ironcreed

Banned
The system will no doubt be awesome. But as of now, I am comfortable in my decision to await greatness until next year. Even then, I am likely to go ahead and get an Xbox One first for having more features and games that appeal to me.

Nymphae

Banned
They play and look much better on PS4.

If you're buying PS4 or XB1 for their exclusives, you must have low standards. I guarantee the XB1 will get poor reviews on its exclusives as well.

I know they look better on PS4, I was simply making a comment that a lot of people seem to be completely ignoring multiplats, because they're a) mulitplatform, and b) available on current gen as well.

It's like, no shit, we know this. If I'm interested in a next gen console, unless I'm a PC gamer, I'm probably going to buy multiplats on it, so why should they be shrugged off as unimportant? Every multiplat I'm interested in from here on out is going to be played on my PS4, so to say it has no games is a little disingenuous if you ask me.

CoG

What I don't get about the Polygon review is how they mention that they have no clue what games will be around the corner in Summer/Spring.

Because we aren't aware of Ground Zeroes, Destiny, and Watch_Dogs. Unless they mean 1st party games. They didn't specify that and even mentioned AC4.

No doubt their Xbone review will be jacking off all over the potential of being the Titanfall box.

Top Bottom