• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 has 8 GB OF GDDR5 RAM

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
It will be interesting to read the behind-the-scenes story of industry reactions to this conference a year or so from now. I wonder if MS was shocked by this as well.

Durante

I'm getting carried away over 8gb of GDDR5 and in reality I don't know what the fuck it means or does. I read the wiki article on GDDR5 but what difference does having that much ram in practice? I know its like 20 times more than the PS3 so that's pretty amazing but is the leap in graphics/performance going to be exponentially better now?
No. Both developers and Sony (for their OS features) gain a lot of breathing room though.

I'm getting carried away over 8gb of GDDR5 and in reality I don't know what the fuck it means or does. I read the wiki article on GDDR5 but what difference does having that much ram in practice? I know its like 20 times more than the PS3 so that's pretty amazing but is the leap in graphics/performance going to be exponentially better now?

Depends on the game and who makes it.

The detail and environments across the board will be much better though.

They've done so much with 256mb. It's really hard to come to grips with what we'll get if the avg game only uses 2GB.

Really gotta see what the launch Madden will look like.

Because 360 is a better gaming machine. At this point, I have no hope in Gaf admiting this ever, just because Sony as first party did wonders..
This might seem a radical thought, I know, but have you ever stopped and considered that it's the games that determine what's the "better" gaming machine? Furthermore, given that games are generally subjective, surely the "better" gaming machine is the one that has the most games that appeal to a given individual, be that 360, PS3 or an iPhone.

This might seem a radical thought, I know, but have you ever stopped and considered that it's the games that determine what's the "better" gaming machine? Furthermore, given that games are generally subjective, surely the "better" gaming machine is the one that has the most games that appeal to a given individual, be that 360, PS3 or an iPhone.

Console wars are stupid. Save your money and get both.

Jack_AG

Banned
No, it's just Sony fans are more susceptible than any other collective.
XBL Gold subs say "hi" ;)

Not my conversation between you and dude but I found your statement amazingly profound and one-sided seeing all the "wtfshitcock" reactions from both camps at the slightest leveling of expectations with logic. I dont know what threads you read but the BS from both camps is shockingly tasty.

Clearly you see yourself above the fray but your comments show otherwise.

Gaming machine is a Hardware. You are talking about software. MS did better at hardware, and Sony did much better at software. Funny, isn't it?

Clearly you see yourself above the fray but your comments show otherwise.

Oh, noes. I'm a resentful SEGA fanboy, who survives in the PC space after being an early Amiga 500 adopter.

; _ ;

Gaming machine is a Hardware. You are talking about software. MS did better at hardware, and Sony did much better at software. Funny, isn't it?
It's hysterical.

You play software, not hardware. You can have the best hardware in the world, but if the games are pants, then you're gonna have a bad time.

Great hardware =/= great games.

Skyzard

Banned
it compares poorly.

Really? Like significantly worse? That's pretty disappointing..Guess PC will still overtake consoles again enough half way through the gen despite the awesome ram.

Reckon the PS4 would be able to handle a PC setup of BF3 at max settings at 1080p / 60fps? Not an optimised version, just say if a PC had the PS4 hardware..

thuway

No, it's just Sony fans are more susceptible than any other collective. I can bitch at MS as much as I want, about that boring Durango design, with no one going nuts.

Me, as other posters, are trying to bring some reality here. Lot of people lack the tech knowledge and believe that going 8GB RAM will double graphic performance. Some CM's are just boosting this misleading info and mocking at people that doesn't share that ignorance.

Bit offtopic: MS designed a better memory setup cost wise, but invested those savings into Kinect shit. So, if I have to select, I would go for Orbis no doubts. Its better to go overkill than fell short. It's only that a beefier GPU it's more desirable that idling unused RAM.

I predict you'll be gone before long. There are multiple threads at Beyond3D discussing this very topic. You are misinformed or are spreading misinformation. If you want to argue that 8 GB GDDR5 will hurt Sony in their pricing strategy to casuals and profit, I would agree; but you have an obvious and pathetic agenda.

thuway

So there's a good chance that the games that they showed off were only using 3.5GB of RAM.

A first party dev talked to me today when I inquired about RAM, and he told me he had no idea of the upgrade. This was something Sony was hiding from everyone except Cerny.

Reiko

Banned
A first party dev talked to me today when I inquired about RAM, and he told me he had no idea of the upgrade. This was something Sony was hiding from everyone except Cerny.

I remember you saying a developer doing that would be bad business, and yet here we are today.

i-Lo

Took us all for spin didn't he. I would assume that not in your wildest dream did you expect it to be 8GB "GDDR5". Good times.

thuway

Can someone tell me what 8GB GDDR5 means compared to high end PC gaming today? =/

It essentially leverages PS4 for the first year or so above PC gaming. You can be confident that PS4 will be your defacto multiplat machine (unless you like spending 1k on your GPU) for the next two years. PC's will have advantages that manifest themselves at greater resolutions, polygon counts, framerates etc. They are a moving target. The single greatest upgrade either machine can do, STILL, at this point, is increase RAM. This is not my opinion either.

Developer's cut so much stuff trying to keep things into memory. This is a breath of fresh air, and raises the bar for what to expect. Sony didn't arbitrarily increase RAM amount and leave the other portions of the machine weaker. This is the best upgrade they could do. If you asked any AAA developer right now what upgrade would offer the best impact on the player visually; they would all echo RAM.

thuway

I remember you saying a developer doing that would be bad business, and yet here we are today.

Trust me, I was more shocked than you were. When you see a document head first, and have someone tell you things are set in stone, it's a jarring revelation to see any thing improve. This was the last thing I'd ever expect, but this is the greatest thing to have happened.

Took us all for spin didn't he. I would assume that not in your wildest dream did you expect it to be 8GB "GDDR5". Good times.
You have no idea.

Reiko

Banned
Trust me, I was more shocked than you were. When you see a document head first, and have someone tell you things are set in stone, it's a jarring revelation to see any thing improve. This was the last thing I'd ever expect, but this is the greatest thing to have happened.

You have no idea.

It was a great surprise:)

It's hysterical.

You play software, not hardware. You can have the best hardware in the world, but if the games are pants, then you're gonna have a bad time.

Great hardware =/= great games.

That's why I'm talking about hardware and not taking into account anything else.

You can't say any given hardware is better than other just because ND didn't do their magic in there. You can say any given console, as a whole, is. Given your preferences, of course.

As a hardware, any given code will run better on 360 most of the times, because is capable of better performance. That's all.

I predict you'll be gone before long. There are multiple threads at Beyond3D discussing this very topic. You are misinformed or are spreading misinformation. If you want to argue that 8 GB GDDR5 will hurt Sony in their pricing strategy to casuals and profit, I would agree; but you have an obvious and pathetic agenda.

You, sir, have a poisonous attitude. And I will be glad not to cross any word with you as far as you keep as hostile as this.

I don't like people that go ad hominem because they can't hold any better argument.

Greetings.

Edit:

It essentially leverages PS4 for the first year or so above PC gaming.

LOL.

Perkel

Banned

No one in industry really dreamed of 8GB GDDR5. Vg leaks also confirmed that it was secret to a lot of first party devs to.

Latest devkits on which they worked had 4GB !

Perkel

Banned
That's why I'm talking about hardware and not taking into account anything else.

You can't say any given hardware is better than other just because ND didn't do their magic in there. You can say any given console, as a whole, is. Given your preferences, of course.

As a hardware, any given code will run better on 360 most of the times, because is capable of better performance. That's all.

You, sir, have a poisonous attitude. And I will be glad not to cross any word with you as far as you keep as hostile as this.

I don't like people that go ad hominem because they can't hold any better argument.

Greetings.

Edit:

LOL.

You are the one who said 8GB GDDR5 is bad for gaming ?

Yes, let's paint an entire user base with broad strokes, shall we?

I can say I don't agree at Microsoft bloating their OS. No one will insult me.

I can say Nintendo never aimed at hold the best performer console, even at SNES and N64 era. People agree or disagree, no more problems.

Now, If I dare to say that Cell isn't a good choice for a gaming machine, or people are overestimating the RAM influence, just as I said in a WiiU thread btw, people will mock up on me and wish my BAN.

You are the one who said 8GB GDDR5 is bad for gaming ?

Yes, along some other things. Probaby you will agree more with someone saying that 8GB GDDR5 RAM makes a console more powerful than any given PC from now to over a year.

Tom Penny

Apples and Oranges. Cant really start doing proper argument until we see real multiplatform PS4/PC games.

Yeah I don't know. My PC isn't even uber but let's just say I'm in wait and see mode. I never buy a console at launch anyway but for something to last the next 5-7 years...I'm not doing back flips like some people.

elbourreau

Here's for you tech guys.

Can additionnal RAM can switch a 30fps game to a 60fps game. I though, the ram was impulsing more informations on screen (resolution, highdef textures, etc...) but the framerate limitation was due to the memory clock, core clock, etc...

I'm a tech newbie, i would appreciate some enlightments! ;)

You said GAF would never accept 360 is the better "gaming machine".

You're changing your argument. We're either talking about a device and the games it plays or we're not. I have access to a computer at work that would blow any gaming device out the water (in terms of raw computational power) if not for the fact it can't run games.

Hardware alone is not enough.

Durante

It essentially leverages PS4 for the first year or so above PC gaming. You can be confident that PS4 will be your defacto multiplat machine (unless you like spending 1k on your GPU) for the next two years.
Huh? No. Not at all. Not in any way, shape or form. The 2014 PC screenshot thread will prove that. Never mind 2015, which is mostly in your 2 year span from PS4 launch.

Can additionnal RAM can switch a 30fps game to a 60fps game.
No. Not in any remotely realistic scenario.

Perkel

Banned
I can say I don't agree at Microsoft bloating their OS. No one will insult me.

I can say Nintendo never aimed at hold the best performer console, even at SNES and N64 era. People agree or disagree, no more problems.

Now, If I dare to say that Cell isn't a good choice for a gaming machine, or people are overestimating the RAM influence, just as I said in a WiiU thread btw, people will mock up on me and wish my BAN.

Yes, along some other things. Probaby you will agree with someone saying that 8GB GDDR5 RAM makes a console more powerful than any given PC from now to over a year.

1. You brought MS, Nintendo, SNES, N64 into single post which is quite a feat considering we are talking here about Sony recent 8GB GDDR5 move
2. You just said again that 8GB of GDDR5 is bad for gaming.
3. You put in my mouth something with "probably". Don't do that.

Here's for you tech guys.

Can additionnal RAM can switch a 30fps game to a 60fps game. I though, the ram was impulsing more informations on screen (resolution, highdef textures, etc...) but the framerate limitation was due to the memory clock, core clock, etc...

I'm a tech newbie, i would appreciate some enlightments! ;)

RAM stands for random access memory it will help in the speed of the system, multitasking, and other features but for games it will help make the system less of a bottleneck and not slow it down so they pretty much you can do a lot with it.

does anyone have that post by a guy who explained GDDR5 vs DDR3 in laymans terms bookmarked? I would like to read it too have a better understanding.

He explained in a way how to move from one place to another and how to unpack it.

elbourreau

RAM stands for random access memory it will help in the speed of the system, multitasking, and other features but for games it will help make the system less of a bottleneck and not slow it down so they pretty much you can do a lot with it.

So the PS4 upgrading from 4G to 8G gddr5 can improve framerate. Would be great to have a solid rock framerate, or better a solid rock 60fps.

Huh? No. Not at all. Not in any way, shape or form. The 2014 PC screenshot thread will prove that. Never mind 2015, which is mostly in your 2 year span from PS4 launch.

No. Not in any remotely realistic scenario.

i agree with you but we're talking PS4/PC multis and PC exclusives right?

As I understand it any game with old gen versions would not looks as good as the previous ones I stated as they will still be in pre-dx10 era in feature sets right?

I still think PC will benefit most after dev start making ps4-Durango-PC multis

So the PS4 upgrading from 4G to 8G gddr5 can improve framerate. Would be great to have a solid rock framerate, or better a solid rock 60fps.

The DDR5 is very good it will have more memory bandwidth which means it could push more to the screen faster. I believe we probably will see some games at 1080p 60fps but some devs might want to go lower to 720p to push more polygons to the screen have to see its still really early.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member

That's kind of funny considering the reaction on gaf to 8gb of gddr5

Perkel

Banned

Well he said "not in resolution" part. It is wishfull thinking especially since everything will be dowscaled to new Xbox (if nothing will change). But we also must agree that resolution as we know is important don't make as much wow factor as new types of techniques or effects and share design.

Portugeezer

I made a thread and this place is going so fast it got buried in a minute, so I will post here.

What does 8GB GDDR5 mean for games?

I always thought RAM affected the potential size of the world, i.e. less RAM means you sacrifice graphics/detail in order to have larger worlds, and smaller worlds can have more detailed graphics.

Is this correct? If so, will we be seeing amazing looking open world games on PS4/next gen with little to no sacrifices made?

Top Bottom