• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 NDC and SWB bundles at 299.99$ starting from december 6th ( ends december 19th)

Intrigue

Banned
Yeah. My expectation is that they will have a $299 bundle with a game of your choice. This is a much better bundle as the buyer is given the ability to chose what they want.

I don't know why people think the BF bundle is going to kill it. The game has already been out for a little and underperformed critically and saleswise. I don't think people are all the sudden going to go "OMG there is a new star wars movie coming out! I need the game too!" The game is a known quantity as is the movie, its not like they are sneaking up on people. There may be a slight bump compared to the normal sales track after release but nothing wild.

Its a better deal if you prefer to own an xbox, but clearly the majority of shoppers prefer a ps4.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The people in here thinking these companies give a tiny rat's ass about who 'wins' Black Friday are cracking me up.

They both are selling absolute gangbusters and are making money hand over fist. You think sony just launched this Battlefront pricedrop completely out of nowhere because Microsoft might have sold a handful more units? What does 'winning black friday' do for any of these companies anyway? It's completely meaningless aside from sales-GAF fun.

Guymelef

Yeah. My expectation is that they will have a $299 bundle with a game of your choice. This is a much better bundle as the buyer is given the ability to chose what they want.

I don't know why people think the BF bundle is going to kill it. The game has already been out for a little and underperformed critically and saleswise. I don't think people are all the sudden going to go "OMG there is a new star wars movie coming out! I need the game too!" The game is a known quantity as is the movie, its not like they are sneaking up on people. There may be a slight bump compared to the normal sales track after release but nothing wild.

file_124046_0_xboxassassin.jpg

Its a better deal if you prefer to own an xbox, but clearly the majority of shoppers prefer a ps4.

That's just throwing console war shade into a fairly obvious point. If you want a PS4, you will get a PS4, but I'm sure you would love to get a PS4 at 299 with a game of your choice rather than one of the two packins. Same with the XBO.

Ok, I shared this in another thread, but I am going to post a condensed version here. This is all anecdotal evidence, of course. I am a middle school teacher at a school of 6th-8th Graders. The students in my school are bat crazy over Battlefront. Battlefront and Fallout are all they talk about, boys and girls. They think Battlefront is the best multiplayer game going right now. And the kids that do not own it, say they are asking for it, or the game and a new system, for Christmas. I even helped one teacher sign up for Gamers Club Unlocked because he was going to buy the game for 2 of his grandsons, so I was trying to help him save some money over this Christmas and next.

All the lack of content or simplicity of the gameplay goes unnoticed to these tweens and teens. I think Battlefront is going to be huge within this demographic. When you add in that Christmas is really about giving, and also about the kids, I think this game will end up doing very well this Holiday.

As more people in this demographic continue to play and enjoy the game, and continue to talk to their friends about it, I could see this game having decent legs through early next year. It is an easy game to get into, it doesn't have any graphic violence, language or sexuality. I think it hits the target with the group I am describing, whether that was the intention or not.

Interesting.

I'm surprised how Star Wars is apparently causing such a stir with kids and early teens. My girlfriend works in a school (UK) and she tells me the 3-6 year olds are going mad over Star Wars and they've all got those toy light-up lightsabres and thrashing them about at each other. I always thought Star Wars was a big thing for my generation and the few before it. Let's not forget that the prequels weren't as big as many expected.

The new movie will gross over $1.5 billion I'm sure and the game should ride along on that box office success.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Interesting.

I'm surprised how Star Wars is apparently causing such a stir with kids and early teens. My girlfriend works in a school (UK) and she tells me the 3-6 year olds are going mad over Star Wars and they've all got those toy light-up lightsabres and thrashing them about at each other. I always thought Star Wars was a big thing for my generation and the few before it. Let's not forget that the prequels weren't as big as many expected.

The new movie will gross over $1.5 billion I'm sure and the game should ride along on that box office success.

Yeah, don't underestimate the power of the bundle. It could be very interesting.

Unity was really the only bundle that had massive deals tethered onto it last year. The MCC bundle struggled because the game had issues. I'm just stating that BF from all relevant data points (Twitch, Gamestop, Infoscout) appears to be really underperforming. I don't think the movie is going to give it some massive kick in the pants.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Interesting.

Yeah it is a bit weird since I always thought the old trilogy skewed older. I saw so many kids dressed up as of Star Wars characters this Halloween. My niece is 7 and she had my
Brother replace all her Disney princess decals with Star Wars ones. She has Star Wars pjs and clothing. When we went to Vegas recently she wanted to win only the Star Wars themed prizes at circus circus. She was Leia for Halloween. Thought that was forced upon her by her parents at first Lol

Will see if this type of thing translates into bf sales.

Unity was really the only bundle that had massive deals tethered onto it last year. The MCC bundle struggled because the game had issues. I'm just stating that BF from all relevant data points (Twitch, Gamestop, Infoscout) appears to be really underperforming. I don't think the movie is going to give it some massive kick in the pants.

I think you're underestimating it a bit. I agree with you that the game seems to have underperformed.

But the hype of Force Awakens and the $299 price point combined with a Star Wars game going into the Christmas season will pretty much eclipse that.

The tough part will be determining which factors caused the bundle to move the most units but Force Awakens will definitely do work.

Elios83

MS has really acted pretty stupidly this holiday. They made the one cheap game bundle that was exclusive to them (Tomb Raider) also exclusive to only one retailer. And on top of that their big franchise has an LE bundle which should be attractive to consumers, but they so stupidly over-priced it that it was pretty much the only console available in huge quantities after the masses picked clean BF and CM sales.

They made mistakes.
Too many bundles just to begin with, yeah the idea that everyone can find a bundle with his own preferred game is nice on paper, but in reality only two or three bundles will be successful, the rest will be wasted stock sitting on the shelves creating logistic/space problems for retailers.
Tomb Raider should have had a central role as the entry priced bundle at 349$ (instead of Gears) with Halo 5 and Fallout 4 bundles at 399$ including special edition 1TB consoles. On top of this all the different promotions (giftcards, BF discounts and so on).
It seems like they went for profits but their strategy was also a bit confusing and they took no avantage of the games they had locking Halo 5 to an expensive 500$ bundle, sending TR to die and making a Fallout bundle without any added value. Probably the also overstimated the impact of Halo 5.

EthanC

Banned
For those who can't stand the wait, there's a 10 percent off deal on all electronics today only via Target Cartwheel. Doesn't quite get it down to 299, but it's close.

Nameless

It'll be a huge missed opportunity if every single screening of Force Awakens on the 18th and 19th isn't showing the $299 Battlefront spot. The last Saturday before Christmas could be massive if Sony plays their cards right.

Kazdane

Gold Member
If this deal comes to Europe I'm so getting one... I wasn't really expecting much this friday, but there were a few bundles available for 320€ (just none of them were truly appealing to me).

Intrigue

Banned
That's just throwing console war shade into a fairly obvious point. If you want a PS4, you will get a PS4, but I'm sure you would love to get a PS4 at 299 with a game of your choice rather than one of the two packins. Same with the XBO.

I would always like to get things cheaper of course.

But the point is when I make a purchase I also want best bang for the buck, any time the xbox1 is priced the same as ps4, I would never see a reason to buy it, unless it was my preferred gaming machine.

Crackbone

Would ms dare go to 250?

I really don't think so. It's possible but I'm not sure they gain all that much by cutting further. Or at least not enough to make up for the massive added cost associated with doing so. Furthermore you're just creating the expectation that the Xbox will be 249$ henceforth. We all saw what happened last year with a temporary cut. After the price went back up they sold nothing until they made that cut permanent.

I'd guess they're more likely to try to bundle additional software. They're in quite a predicament.

Crackbone

You think they stay at $299 from here on out?

As I stated just a post prior if last years Xbox performance post Xmas is any indicator they have to stay at 299$. Xbox One sales fell off a cliff after they reverted to the "original" price.

I'm thinking Sony would be in the same boat.

Maximus.

I expected this to happen. Sony didn't have any killer exclusives this holiday, just riding on brand and solid partnerships. Smart move to bolster sales for the holiday.

Boke1879

Probably. People will be less inclined to buy at $350.

As I stated just a post prior if last years Xbox performance post Xmas is any indicator they have to stay at 299$. Xbox One sales fell off a cliff after they reverted to the "original" price.

I'm thinking Sony would be in the same boat.

Yea I agree with you both for the same reasons. But who knows. Would be awesome to see Sony officially at $299. They console will fly off shelves at that price imo

Even though 300 is better 200 is best. If they can get there by mid 2017 I think it's best. Especially for increase in game sales. Publishers would be happy and game production and sales would increase and that's a good combo price for vr.

People say it can't happen but ps2 was like 179 when mgs3 hit? What did the price drops look like and when for ps2? Anyone have a good idea?

Yeah it is a bit weird since I always thought the old trilogy skewed older. I saw so many kids dressed up as of Star Wars characters this Halloween. My niece is 7 and she had my
Brother replace all her Disney princess decals with Star Wars ones. She has Star Wars pjs and clothing. When we went to Vegas recently she wanted to win only the Star Wars themed prizes at circus circus. She was Leia for Halloween. Thought that was forced upon her by her parents at first Lol

Will see if this type of thing translates into bf sales.

I'm seeing the same sort of thing. Disney must be doing a much better job with marketing and capturing the imagination of the younger generations compared to the prequels.

Nameless

The way you word it, it sounds like years.

The year 2014 Sony won by a landslide. 2014 Holiday/BF sales MSFT won in the NPD/USA. Lost same period in world wide sales.

Got that, the post I was quoting was referencing US holiday seasons.

They absolutely will not beat the PS4 if they go head to head against it. They will need a disruptive product that will attract the masses.
And then what? Just repeat the Wii where that audience leaves and they're even further behind the curve to try and compete for core gamers like how the Wii U's turned out to be?

Nintendo has already said that they aren't targeting the casual audience anymore with consoles, at least not in the way they tried w/ the Wii. I'm sure they've done some introspection and analyzed what made the Wii work that could also be put into a more core-orientated machine, b/c the truth is there's already a console out there that does such and it's called the PS4.

NX will be something to get core gamers to look their way, or at least that is what is needed at the start. And gradually the product will become more attractive to casual and non-gamers in its later years, just like almost every other successful console not the Wii.

I predict we get an announcement of a $299 Xbox One promotion through most of December by the end of the day tomorrow. Of course, with a free copy of Star Wars Battlefront. Microsoft isn't going to let Sony have that price point advantage for 2 weeks in December.
They can't legally do that.

Even though 300 is better 200 is best. If they can get there by mid 2017 I think it's best. Especially for increase in game sales. Publishers would be happy and game production and sales would increase and that's a good combo price for vr.

People say it can't happen but ps2 was like 179 when mgs3 hit? What did the price drops look like and when for ps2? Anyone have a good idea?

It took about 1 1/2 years for the first ps2 price drop from $299 to $199. It was actually $149 when MGS hit, 4 years after launch.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
$299 is a good price to get used to because of VR which is around the corner. It would make sense to ease consumers into a lower PS4 price because VR will also be expensive. That and after having reached such a price, regardless of how long it was for, it will be that much harder to sell at $349 if it were to go back up.

I think $299 is going to be a permanent price drop after January 1st.

It took about 1 1/2 years for the first ps2 price drop from $299 to $199. It was actually $149 when MGS hit, 4 years after launch.
Yep, then they need to get there as soon as parts allow.

I knew I bought a new slim along with my fat launch unit.

Bought it with mgs.

Then the next price was 129.99 and 99.99?

This is exactly why the Ps2 sold so well. Anything at 100 and something is just easy for people to mentally accept it in a game box.

They can't legally do that.

It doesn't have to be the official bundle. It can be a buy this console and get a game of your choice free!

They are limited and marketing the game and official pack in bundles. I think everything else is fair game. Sony doesn't have pure exclusivity on the game, just its marketing.

Top Bottom