• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 passes 60.4 million units sold through to consumers / 487 million software units

B.O.O.M

Looks like PR just went out for the new updated numbers

Worth noting this pace is actually the fastest the PS4 has ever sold in the first half of the year.

Amazing. See this is what happens when you release a lot of games throughout the year and not just the end of the year. End of the year is a bloodbath anyways with all the multiplat big hits so this is a great strategy. Been one heck of a year for PS4.

labaronx

Wow...

A steady stream of games releasing between now and dec

3rd party deals... this console could be at 80+ million at years end.

Darknight

So many potentially upset Minecraft gamers. 60M potential players isn't enough, its all the 7 Billion population of earth or nothing.

jk

Logash

Not far from NES and 3DS. It's about to hit the top 10 selling consoles of all time. Not sure if it will hit top 5 but good for Sony.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So the sales pace of the first half of the year was super brisk? I guess all those major japanese games and Horizon helped a lot. LOVE IT

Kill3r7

PS4 is a beast. Interested to see how the fall/holiday season goes. Lots of big games coming out this holiday season.

Unknown?

Looks like PR just went out for the new updated numbers

Worth noting this pace is actually the fastest the PS4 has ever sold in the first half of the year.

DCKzl-aWsAQ8T7u.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/874458756737839107
And they said exclusives don't sell consoles anymore...

Not far from NES and 3DS. It's about to hit the top 10 selling consoles of all time. Not sure if it will hit top 5 but good for Sony.
PS4 is obviously gonna pass 100M in lifetime sales, like the PS1, but I don't see it topping the PS2, or original DS for the #1 crown.

And in regards to the 3DS, while it is a solid commercial hit, especially when you consider it's early struggles, I think it's success is often over stated by many. Way down from the original DS, for example.

RootCause

Yeah price drop seems totally not needed given the current pacing.

I could see a temporary promotion for the Pro being $50 off this Black Friday / Holiday Season but there's no reason for Sony to deliver any permanent price drops on hardware given their current sales trajectory. It would be straight up throwing away money

Even if there's not an official one, there's always deals around Christmas.

I'm really struggling to tell apart which ones of these kind of posts are sarcastic and which are genuine. Props for not just saying Scorpio/Xbox One X either way though.

I fear we're going to get games bundled with the system. Which isn't bad, but I'm looking to upgrade, a $50 reduction would be welcomed. I plan on selling my extra og ps4, and paying the difference.

why should they, they have 4K HDR branding at $100 less

They don't really have to drop it. I just want to pay less.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
you'd think with their position they'd be able to put on a better show than what we just got

smh

Don't think that's necessarily fair

they've had bombastic conferences for the past 2 or 3 years straight from E3 to TGS to PSX, i can't really fault them for having one slow conference

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I mean, it just makes sense. Sony is the only console with their act together. They have strong 3rd party and first party, with the online ecosystem to back it.

Meanwhile, the xbox is hardly differentiated from a PS4, except with a weaker first party lineup, and the Switch has strong first party lineup but lacks the online ecosystem and 3rd party support.

Thinking about it more....It's now horrible that Sony really isn't allowing the cross platform Xbox for Minecraft because this is an unbelievable number of people that will miss out on something that helps the gameplay. It's kind of hard to really be happy about this when that lingering feeling is around.

two Yakuza games in one year. fastest selling first half in all its history. coincidence? i think not

if next year we were to get Yakuza 6 and Ishin (localized), god help us all

The God

Don't think that's necessarily fair

they've had bombastic conferences for the past 2 or 3 years straight from E3 to TGS to PSX, i can't really fault them for having one slow conference

This was more than a slow year. Their big first party announcement was a remake (which looks great), and the rest was what I feared it would be : third parties and just updates to games they revealed last year, which still don't have release dates. This was almost 2014-level bad

I will say that they repped PSVR very well. That was good.

Games don't fall from the sky.

So they dried the well with 2015 and 2016? because when I talked about that possibility before E3 yall said I was crazy lol

Not the biggest most passionate PlayStation fan but I think they deserve it , just for their attitude to first party alone. They have their faults but to me it's clear they have people in high positions that get software, that it needs to take risks with AAA and how to keep excitement going among its players.

samar11

This was more than a slow year. Their big first party announcement was a remake (which looks great), and the rest was what I feared it would be : third parties and just updates to games they revealed last year, which still don't have release dates. This was almost 2014-level bad

I will say that they repped PSVR very well. That was good.

So they dried the well with 2015 and 2016? because when I talked about that possibility before E3 yall said I was crazy lol

You do realise they have other conferences to show off new games unlike their competition ?

Shambala

Thinking about it more....It's now horrible that Sony really isn't allowing the cross platform Xbox for Minecraft because this is an unbelievable number of people that will miss out on something that helps the gameplay. It's kind of hard to really be happy about this when that lingering feeling is around.
The have 70 something million other people to play with on psn. No big deal

Congrats to Playstation. Doubt it will slow down anytime soon. Lower price, good exclusives on the horizon and some third party marketing deals should put the PS4 close to 100mil.

Top Bottom