• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 power draw - 80W idle, 120W-140W gaming, max 45 Degrees Celsius exhaust

tipoo

Banned
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hardware-test-playstation-4

The reality is that Sony has done a pretty good job here. We'll get to the metrics in a moment, but first impressions are certainly reassuring. On start-up, the hardware is exceptionally quiet, but as you progress into gameplay, volume and heat does start to increase. PS4 also draws a fair amount of juice too - 80W at idle on the front-end menus (the "PlayStation Dynamic Menu" to give it its proper name), 95W based on in-game video playback, and around 110-120W during gameplay - that's about 10-20W more than the first release of the "Slim" PlayStation 3. Curiously though, bringing up the menu system while in-game sees another leap in power draw - up to the maximum of 140W.

To clarify, idle in the title means at the main menu with no games in, not standby (which I imagine would be ~1-2W or less without a background download)

ps4h7k0g.png

(I advise you not freak out over the decibels, as unlike other tests for GPUs and such this does not seem to be isolated, hence a lot of background room noise. In use, by all accounts, it's quieter than the PS3 in any incarnation)

Ars has slightly different numbers
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/playstation-4-hardware-review-off-to-a-mixed-start/

No Love

Banned
140w is a lot of juice? Shiiit, I draw over 800w at full load with my SLI setup. PS4 power consumption is fucking fantastic.

WolvenOne

Does anyone know what the PS4s PSU is capable of handling? In terms of maximum wattage?

These figures look pretty good so far, but I'm curious how much wiggle room Sony gave the thing, in terms of power requirements.

That's much better than I expected. Damn good for a launch console. Though by the time I end up buying a PS4, it will probably be a third of that.

Not the most power-efficient media player though, compared to my Sony brand Blu-Ray player that uses a whole 6W for Blu-Ray and 5W for DVD's.

Idle not standby which is the EU regulations

Yeah, but Jeff Rigby commented a while back about something related to device operations not exceeding 30W in an "idle" state for certain types of devices.. Obviously nothing is going to pull nearly that much in a standby state.

Lima

That's much better than I expected. Damn good for a launch console. Though by the time I end up buying a PS4, it will probably be a third of that.

Everything in this system is designed to not consume much power. This is why we are stuck with these shitty CPU's and GPU's from two generations ago.

Cess007

We measured 50-degrees Celsius venting from the rear (better out than in, we say) with the casing itself heating up to 45 degrees - that's approaching launch PS3 territory.

It's more hot in my city on summer than the temperature peak of the PS4. LOL

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm sure a lot of people will see this as a positive. I see it as Sony being overly conservative on system specs.

TMNT

Banned
So launch PS3-levels of heat? That's okay with me as long as it dissipates much more efficiently than its elder. I'm going 3-year warranty just to be safe.

This is about in line with the predictions people were making a few years back before it all got announced. The PS3/360 were closer to 200W at launch and had issues as a result. I expect the XBO to be similar or slightly lower.

JordanN

Banned
This is about in line with the predictions people were making a few years back before it all got announced. The PS3/360 were closer to 200W at launch and had issues as a result. I expect the XBO to be similar or slightly lower.
Were those issues really a result of the watts or that of the system design?

For example, I remember being told the Xbox 360 had a fatal design flaw when it came to the heatsink. The console was rushed out the door so Microsoft didn't consider it (or they did?), at the time.

A system running a netbook class CPU pulling 80w at idle is a lot tbh.

There's a lot more than just a CPU in play here (a dedicated graphics card, for example), and it's likely running at a much higher clock speed than netbooks do, because it has the space and fans to dissipate the heat. Completely different situation.

Raist

Banned
A system running a netbook class CPU pulling 80w at idle is a lot tbh.

I guess you missed the point. Get a netbook with a similar APU than the PS4's, measure the power draw during "idle" (if possible with network stuff going on in the background), and then draw comparisons.

Gestault

Considering my experience upgrading a power supply to be able to run a GTX 470, these numbers are mind boggling. It's so interesting the way the same resources result in *better* performance down the line with newer hardware. Smarter/more developed programming with more efficient hardware might as well be magic for the first curve of each generation.

You'll hear me parrot this a lot, but I appreciate the idea of "more with less" in most things. Particularly gaming hardware (the price-point of the PS4 fits this category as well). Seeing these numbers makes me excited for next-gen in a bizarre but meaningful way.

Considering my experience upgrading a power supply to be able to run a GTX 470, these numbers are mind boggling. It's so interesting the way the same resources result in *better* performance down the line with newer hardware. Smarter/more developed programming with more efficient hardware might as well be magic for the first curve of each generation.

You'll hear me parrot this a lot, but I appreciate the idea of "more with less" in most things. Particularly gaming hardware. Seeing these numbers makes me excited for next-gen in a bizarre but meaningful way.

Power-to-watt comparisons always interest me for some strange, unknowable reason.

There's a lot more than just a CPU in play here (a dedicated graphics card, for example), and it's likely running at a much higher clock speed than netbooks do, because it has the space and fans to dissipate the heat. Completely different situation.

Even a desktop with an i7 and dedicated GPU at idle is like 100w afaik. Could be wrong

Top Bottom