• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 power draw - 80W idle, 120W-140W gaming, max 45 Degrees Celsius exhaust

TheExodu5

Banned
For reference:

(these measurements are at 1m)
fannoise_load.gif

So yeah, not super quiet. Definitely much better than a launch PS3, but not quiet.

TheExodu5

Banned
How the fuck are these measurements made. Most of these are below the ambient noise of a normal room.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_780/25.html
This setup allows us to eliminate secondary noise sources and test only the video card. To be more compliant with standards like DIN 45635 (we are not claiming to be fully DIN 45635 certified), the measurement was conducted at 100 cm of distance and at 160 cm off the floor. The ambient background noise level in the room was well below 20 dBA for all measurements.

Boss Man

How's that temperature in relation to the PS3 (launch and/or slim)?

PS3 makes my room hot, it would be nice if the PS4 was a bit cooler...

Hazelhurst

8-core CPU + "download" CPU + HD spinning + cooling. 80W seems pretty reasonable with that power load to me.

I expected high watts for gaming, that's a given. However, I figured the whole reason they went with the AMD Jaguar chip was because they could turn the cores off when not in use and get much better efficiency versus the Cell. They could not turn off cores with the Cell, which was/is alot of wasted energy. Maybe 80W is the result of cores being shutoff, which would normally be higher. I envisioned efficiency better than its predecessor.

Preemo

Banned
im not a mathematician or electrician however isnt there a unit of measure missing when referencing the power consumption in the info provided?

Metfanant

right so it has little bearing on what youre going to hear in your living room...the PS4 measurements barely went over the ambient sound levels of the room...only by a couple db...thats pretty good...

if those video cards were measure in the same way the PS4 was they would probably give off very similar numbers because you would always be picking up the ambient noise in the room...

Applecot

Keep in mind these aren't power sipping Intel components, AMD have historically had issues keeping idle consumption down on their CPU components. Even at the lower TDP end.
I imagine even while idle the UI requires GPU input so that'd increase the Idle consumption as well.

im not a mathematician or electrician however isnt there a unit of measure missing when referencing the power consumption in the info provided?

A watt is 1 joule per second. Something that uses 1 watt will draw 1 watt-hour over 1 hour. The amount of electricity you use is measured in kilowatt-hours normally, but for the purposes of instantaneous power consumption; we use watts.

Preemo

Banned
Keep in mind these aren't power sipping Intel components, AMD have historically had issues keeping idle consumption down on their CPU components. Even at the lower TDP end.
I imagine even while idle the UI requires GPU input so that'd increase the Idle consumption as well.

A watt is 1 joule per second. Something that uses 1 watt will draw 1 watt-hour over 1 hour. The amount of electricity you use is measured in kilowatt-hours normally, but for the purposes of instantaneous power consumption; we use watts.

thanks.

would you mind jotting down an equation similar to the ones on the chart on this page to better help me/others understand. based on 2 hours of game operation per day as a base line estimated at 140W

Applecot

thanks.

would you mind jotting down an equation similar to the ones on the chart on this page to better help me/others understand. based on 2 hours of game operation per day as a base line estimated at 140W

At 140W:

0.14kW x 2 hrs/day x 365 days/yr = 102.2 kWh / year

Here in QLD Australia, our electricity is somewhere around 25-30cents / kWh. That equates to something like 30 bux a year.

dhlt25

just for fun I plugged in my killawatt and my desktop was pulling 220 on idle, 380 on load, so the ps4 while not great is not too bad either.

Eric_S

Interesting. :)

I'm on a short break and on the phone, so perhaps I've missed it when browsing the article. But is anything plugged in and powered by the ps4 during those readings?

Chumpion

Okay, thanks for the clarification. So if we take into account the ambient noise level of 40 dB, then PS4 noise level while playing games is around 37-38 dB (@ 1 meter). Not too great, but not a complete disaster either. During Blu-ray playback it drops to below 30 dB, which is nice.

AkIRA_22

Just a question, how do people turn on their console? The article says the console buttons aren't that great. That's of no concern to me as I've turned my PS3 on and off with the DS3. Just wondering if that's the born these days.

kitch9

Banned

Oh Ffs.....

kitch9

Banned
No discussion. 80W in idle is ridiculously bad. I hope they can fix it.

PS4 can download games in stand-by mode, though.

Of course there's a discussion, there's a cpu, gpu, 8GB of fast gddr5 and other components fired up.

Jesus what do you armchair expert electronic engineering geniuses expect?

Vashetti

Banned
For those saying by the time they pick there's up there'll be a slimmer more efficient model: is that even possible this time?

Seems to me that the PS4 can't really be made any smaller. You've got bits like the HDD and Blu-Ray drive that simply cannot go any smaller, and the motherboard is already concise.

Anyone feel Sony will struggle to get out a better model?

kitch9

Banned
The fastest 32nm AMD Richland APU needs 30W in idle. A Core i7 4770k + Geforce Titan combo needs 60W in desktop mode. 80W is too much for a games console. GCN has great power saving modes and the Jaguars don't need much power anyway. Sounds like a software problem to me. I think they will fix it with a firmware update.

Have you ever actually hooked up your PC to a power meter?

I still think for the first model they should have made the case, heatsink, and fan larger, maybe even an external PSU. More room for overclocking, quieter, less potential for overheating.

I mean how much slimmer can it get? It's already PS3 slim size, right? (not super slim)

StevieP

Banned
This isn't a netbook class CPU. It employs the same architecture as AMD's netbook CPU's but it's got 8 cores instead of the typical 1 or 2 found in a netbook.

No. They've duct taped 2 4-core jaguar blocks (the ones they'll be using for those lower end laptops) together in the APu along with heir respective Gpus

demolitio

For those saying by the time they pick there's up there'll be a slimmer more efficient model: is that even possible this time?

Seems to me that the PS4 can't really be made any smaller. You've got bits like the HDD and Blu-Ray drive that simply cannot go any smaller, and the motherboard is already concise.

Well, Sony surprised a lot of people with this model to begin with so I wouldn't be surprised if their engineers can pull off more magic or at least sacrifice some areas to improve the important ones depending on what they're going for.

I wonder if they'll eventually make a cheaper model (when it's mainstream entertainment time of the generation cycle) where it's just a normal box shape too (I don't mean ugly but at least just a normal profile).

No matter what, there's always room for redesigning a console and they seem to love to do it so they can focus on different things or shapes for redesigns. I don't think we'll get the Apple trash-bin design though. :D

They can make the power supply external, and reduce the size of the motherboard, so yes, a smaller PS4 is possible.

Applecot

The fastest 32nm AMD Richland APU needs 30W in idle. A Core i7 4770k + Geforce Titan combo needs 60W in desktop mode. 80W is too much for a games console. GCN has great power saving modes and the Jaguars don't need much power anyway. Sounds like a software problem to me. I think they will fix it with a firmware update.

Maybe if it was possible to plug in these components to the wall then it'd be kind of true.

They can make the power supply external, and reduce the size of the motherboard, so yes, a smaller PS4 is possible.

Smaller process traditionally means better power profile and this means smaller cooling as well.

Oh Ffs.....

Problem?

45degrees is pretty damn warm! Thank God it's pumping that OUT of the console.

Wat?

My Core i5 Quad Core idles at 1.6GHz at 31 celsius with an all in one watercooler with 2x 140mm fans in push and pull in a case with 2x 200mm fans and several other 140mm fans.

At load my CPU pushes out 50 celsius and GPU 70 celsius.

PS4 APU (CPU+GPU) in a tiny package at load is at 45 celsius, that's quite a feat.

netbook class, lol...........

Joke is on you. Jaguar is AMD competitor for atom - only diffrence is you get more cores here.

Wat?

My Core i5 Quad Core idles at 1.6GHz at 31 celsius with an all in one watercooler with 2x 140mm fans in push and pull in a case with 2x 200mm fans and several other 140mm fans.

At load my CPU pushes out 50 celsius and GPU 70 celsius.

PS4 APU (CPU+GPU) in a tiny package at load is at 45 celsius, that's quite a feat.

Why are you comparing temperatures directly from thermal diodes inside core of cpu to whatever eurogamer is measuring ?

Top Bottom