• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 power draw - 80W idle, 120W-140W gaming, max 45 Degrees Celsius exhaust

mrklaw

MrArseFace
80W does seem like a lot. Not just as a raw number, but look at gaming- 120W. So only a 40W difference between the CPU/GPU doing probably not much at all, and then running normally. That seems quite low?

And I wonder why it hits 140W when you overlay the menu in a game? Even if the CPU/GPU has some reserved for the OS, 20W is 50% more power draw just to overlay the OS?

Just for comparison with current gen & Wii U:

untitled_zps3e6cc503.png

Mr Moose

80W does seem like a lot. Not just as a raw number, but look at gaming- 120W. So only a 40W difference between the CPU/GPU doing probably not much at all, and then running normally. That seems quite low?

And I wonder why it hits 140W when you overlay the menu in a game? Even if the CPU/GPU has some reserved for the OS, 20W is 50% more power draw just to overlay the OS?

I think my CPU alone is 125W (no idea, really, but I have an AMD Phenom II 1100T)

Thrakier

For people wondering about what these dB values mean

decibel.jpg

Yes, only the CPU is drawing power. The rest in running on thin air.

This graphic is bullshit. I wonder how they measured the DB anyway, since it seems to high. 53db would be very, very loud like the first 360 when the disc started spinning. For comparison: If you want to build a silent pc, you don't buy parts with more than 20db, surely not more than 25. 30 Would be way too loud already. So I call bullshit on those numbers.

Bradach

How about the suspend feature (when its available). Do we know anything about power draw while a game is suspended versus normal standby?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think my CPU alone is 125W (no idea, really, but I have an AMD Phenom II 1100T)

The A4-5000 with four jaguar cores at 1.5GHz is rated at 15W, and includes a tiny bit of GPU. So maybe 25W for an 8 core CPU only? It shouldn't even be using all those cores when the OS is idling, and the GPU should be on its lowest power setting possible.

42/53db wtf? isnt a lots?

my pc corsair hydro60 do around 30 a stock intel fan do 32db and is clearly audible in a room

you probably should wait until the Xbox gets measured before jumping in so gleefully

Mr Moose

The A4-5000 with four jaguar cores at 1.5GHz is rated at 15W, and includes a tiny bit of GPU. So maybe 25W for an 8 core CPU only? It shouldn't even be using all those cores when the OS is idling, and the GPU should be on its lowest power setting possible.

But its 8 cores @ at least 1.6 so would it double with that?

The RAM would add to the heat?

Edit: I didn't read what you said properly, sorry, you included possible 8 core @ 25W, so where is the extra W coming from? is it EVERYTHING? HDD and stuff or...

Lime

This thread turned ignorant pretty quickly.

What asshattery is this - the measurements make no sense! Where is this chart from? Almost no reduction in dB between 1 and 3 meters. The drop would be almost 10 dB in anechoic conditions.

It's from the damn article in the OP. Read it.

demolitio

No it's not.

I was about to say the same thing. My PC basically keeps my room warm in the winter with what it puts out. It doesn't help that the flashy side of the case is the same side as the venting meaning the heat is dispersing in my direction. :D

Actually, the PS4's temps seem very impressive to me and the sound is decent as well in my opinion (from these impressions).

nico1982

Sounds like a software problem to me. I think they will fix it with a firmware update.
The simplest reason is just that Playstation OS dashboard is quite a bit more intensive than a bare Windows desktop. Transparencies, animations and effects might be enough to prevent the system to throttle down to the lowest power level. Being an earlier revision doesn't help, that's for sure.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Yeah, that could be a problem.

The x51 has to power two processors with two memory controllers and two pools of RAM. PS4 fuses (almost) everything into one single processor

Edit - Oh, I think you meant it the other way round. :D

yeah exactly. I am surprised by how high the PS4 draw is.

TheKayle

Banned
Decible is not a suitable unit in this case. The psychoacoustic unit for the measurement of loudness is Sone.

According to the German PCGH mag, PS4 reaches 1.5 sone while gaming.

loud20riyz.png

For example a Geforce Titan reaches 3.2 sone while playing, HD7970 reaches 5.9 sone:

loudmhio3.png

This means that for the human perception, a Titan "feels" twice as loud as a PS4, a HD7970 even feels four times as loud. You can't do this "twice as much" argumentation with decibel, that's why you want to always have sone as a unit for these kinds of measurements.

really thnx really useful

imt558

Banned
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hardware-test-playstation-4

To clarify, idle in the title means at the main menu with no games in, not standby (which I imagine would be ~1-2W or less without a background download)

ps4h7k0g.png

Computerbild.de

After 10 minutes of operation
PS3: 0.83 sone
PS4: 0.815 sone

After 60 minutes of operation
PS3: 2.1 sone
PS4: 0.83 sone

0.83 sone is around 28dB

http://www.gamepur.com/news/12477-ps4-noise-level-measured-and-compared-ps3.html

80W idle is very high. That's more than most gaming PC's.

From Anandtech
CPU: Intel Core i7-4960X @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
Power Supply: Corsair AX1200i
Hard Disk: Samsung SSD 840 EVO (750GB)
Memory: G.Skill RipjawZ DDR3-1866 4 x 8GB (9-10-9-26)
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Windowed Edition
Monitor: Asus PQ321
Video Cards: XFX Radeon R9 280X Double Dissipation
AMD Radeon HD 7950 Boost
AMD Radeon HD 7870
AMD Radeon HD 7850
AMD Radeon HD 7770
AMD Radeon R9 270X
HIS Radeon R9 270 IceQ X2
Asus Radeon R9 270 DirectCU II OC
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost
Video Drivers: NVIDIA Release 331.58 WHQL
AMD Catalyst 13.11 Beta v5
AMD Catalyst 13.11 Beta v9.2

59868.png

aeolist

Banned
8GB of GDDR5 , 8 core CPU , Secondary Chip , Dual 720P 60FPS Cameras ,

all of which should be power gated to draw essentially no voltage when not in use

if the system is idle it should have very very low power draw, the fact that it doesn't is puzzling

kartu

Banned
150W at load is fine (and Xbox should consume less, with more modest GPU).

But 80W idle is... eh... doh... wtf???

Modern GPUs can go roughly 10W when idling, Jaguar cores (I think) have that "power gating" thing that shuts them off if unused and even if not, shouldn't consume much.

80W is too freaking much.

Lime

all of which should be power gated to draw essentially no voltage when not in use

if the system is idle it should have very very low power draw, the fact that it doesn't is puzzling

Maybe the relatively high idle consumption of power is due to unoptimized OS features?

synce

80w idle is NOT high. These numbers are all great. I remember having to buy a 750w PSU for a mid-high range build just a few years ago.

Hazelhurst

That's what I'm thinking. Something is just not right. I wonder if it's the 8GB of DDR5 causing the high power usage on idle?

80w idle is NOT high. These numbers are all great. I remember having to buy a 750w PSU for a mid-high range build just a few years ago.

A system only pulls what it uses though. A mid range won't pull that much. A gaming pc idle is around 100w. I've looked up identical system as mine as youtube i7/280x and idle is between like 90-110 under load around 300

Ryoohki360

Neo Member
Well it's base on a mobile cpu/GPU config so the low power draw is normal. There pretty much nothing in this machine so. The biggest power draw is the GPU and CPU on PC , my i7 tdp is 88w alone, my system use about 315w when at 100% both GPU and CPU, but it's a much more powerful machine so it's all relative

People buy bigger PSU for leverage, a 700w PSU will work way less to give you 315w than a 450w PSU, it will also last decades...

Raist

Banned
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, but if they're doing testing of the dB levels, it should be a soundproofed room, if it isn't, why even bother? Gives us no info on the actual noiselevel.

It's in the article, and that's the average ambient noise of a quiet room. It means that on idle on blu-ray playback for instance, you most likely won't perceive a sound above background noise (assuming it's 40dB).

They could have used measurement gear that "ignores" ambient noise, but that doesn't make much of a difference and is actually a bit misleading. To take TheExodu5's example, if you play at 1m from the source, a PS4 (42dB) will sound twice louder than a GTX 560Ti (32dB) - a difference of 10dB is equivalent to a factor of 2 of perceived sound.

But that's assuming there is 0 background noise which is obviously impossible unless you're playing in a completely soundproof room and not making a noise yourself. So if you're playing in a regular room, the actual difference between having a GTX 560Ti or a PS4 running would be 3-4dB.

edit: see these german charts, they give values with ambient noise substracted, so a PS4 is really no louder than your average graphics card, and the values roughly match DF's measurments when corrected for ambient noise.

Ouch 50dB is very noisy.

Are you planning to play with your ear stuck to the console or something?

Paganmoon

It's in the article, and that's the average ambient noise of a quiet room. It means that on idle on blu-ray playback for instance, you most likely won't perceive a sound above background noise (assuming it's 40dB).

They could have used measurement gear that "ignores" ambient noise, but that doesn't make much of a difference and is actually a bit misleading. To take TheExodu5's example, if you play at 1m from the source, a PS4 (42dB) will sound twice louder than a GTX 560Ti (32dB) - a difference of 10dB is equivalent to a factor of 2 of perceived sound.

But that's assuming there is 0 background noise which is obviously impossible unless you're playing in a completely soundproof room and not making a noise yourself. So if you're playing in a regular room, the actual difference between having a GTX 560Ti or a PS4 running would be 3-4dB.

edit: see these german charts, they give values with ambient noise substracted, so a PS4 is really no louder than your average graphics card, and the values roughly match DF's measurments when corrected for ambient noise.

Are you planning to play with your ear stuck to the console or something?

Thanks, only seen the picture, never seen a link to where it's from.

But still, if that's an average ambient noiselevel, my living room might have a lower ambient noiselevel, and this comparison gives me no information to go on.
As an example, I sit about 3.5-4 meters from where my PS3 is, I hear it very clearly (Launch 60GB Euroversion) when playing games, or even watching Blu-ray Movies. But my projector mounted to the ceiling, at about 2 meters above my head, (33dB noiselevel), I can hardly hear. 40dB for the PS4 at 1M and 40dB at 3 meters (due to ambient noise) tells me absolutely nothing.

Besides, 40dB ambient noise indoors sounds very high to me.

Chumpion

This thread turned ignorant pretty quickly.

It's from the damn article in the OP. Read it.

Read the article?! Are you fucking crazy?

Actually, I'm boycotting Eurolamer. With good reason once more I may add, the noise measurements are bullshit. A monkey on crack could do a better job.

News Bot

Banned
45C is pretty good, especially for AMD. The last few AMD processors I owned would idle at 50 and top near 70C.

It has less to do with AMD and more to do with the cooling solution.

My overclocked 7970 usually maxes out at about 60C at just 20% fan speed. Idles at 30C. Similar deal with the FX chips.

Raist

Banned
Thanks, only seen the picture, never seen a link to where it's from.

But still, if that's an average ambient noiselevel, my living room might have a lower ambient noiselevel, and this comparison gives me no information to go on.
As an example, I sit about 3.5-4 meters from where my PS3 is, I hear it very clearly (Launch 60GB Euroversion) when playing games, or even watching Blu-ray Movies. But my projector mounted to the ceiling, at about 2 meters above my head, (33dB noiselevel), I can hardly hear. 40dB for the PS4 at 1M and 40dB at 3 meters (due to ambient noise) tells me absolutely nothing.

Besides, 40dB ambient noise indoors sounds very high to me.

Keep in mind that these units are brand new. You're comparing to your launch 60GB which is probably loud as fuck now compared to what it was at launch, because of dust build up and fans kicking in at high speed early. I'd bet your unit is a lot louder than the values given for slim PS3s by that german website.

DF's article (and that german chart) also have a problem: they don't mention the conditions very thoroughly. How long have then been playing for? Was it a disc-based game or DD? Etc.

Nevertheless, you have to keep in mind that the values DF give are not "corrected" for ambient noise, which they measured at 40dB. Therefore, when they say 40dB for a PS4 in X mode, It's the "total" noise, if you wish, and this means that there was no added, perceived noise on top of the background noise.

Consequently, when they say 42dB it's not for the PS4 only (thus comparisons with charts giving you absolute values are misleading), you can actually roughly make out the noise produced by the console itself. It's around 38dB (40dB background + 38dB PS4 = 42.1 dB). So, yes, sitting at 1m from the console, you will notice that your PS4 is making noise (40 > 42dB), but it's rather quiet. Essentially, with these conditions and values (sitting at 1m, gaming), your environment will sound ~1.1-1.2 times louder when your PS4 is on, compared to off.

Top Bottom