• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 PRO 4K native games (will update the list everytime there is a new game)

Yea I'm inclined to believe Sony may have been right on the money here, the only questionable decision so far with Pro is not upping the Ram so devs have an easier time getting in those high res assets. I'm not technically knowledgeable though to know if it's an issue or not.

In laymen's terms, if MS doesn't produce games that are head and shoulders above what Sony devs do, (Horizon, GOW, Days Gone, GTS, TLOU2) I think releasing first will end up being the smarter move than releasing more powerful. Only time will tell, but it's hard to imagine something looking so much better than Horizon on a 4K set.

Are you sure? Many know that the brandwidth was increased but most, if not all forget that the PS4 PRO has 512 MB extra VRAM unlocked for games. Do you realise that this increase is more than the PS3 enitre VRAM considering that the PS3 has split memory (256 MB VRAM + 256 MB RAM) and you know what devs could achieve with such hardware at that time, now imagine that addition to the PS4 PRO. This is not something to be ignored.

Depends on game how big the visual impact is.
If game is native 4k with post AA, it should downsample nicely to 1080p.

There are plenty of ssaa, dsr downsampling threads if you want examples.

The funny thing is that NBA 2K17 is rendered to force 4K in every situation

PS4 Pro with a 1080p display:
2K confirmed to GameSpot that it will still render a 4K resolution even on a 1080p display. The company said this should result in "much better anti-aliasing" with HDR support.

NBA 2K17 is really a technical marvel.

Septimus

Wow that was a slaughtering. Caayn needs to take that L with grace. I admit to being skeptical about native 4k games on the Pro too. But wow the list keeps getting bigger.

Caayn

Wow that was a slaughtering. Caayn needs to take that L with grace. I admit to being skeptical about native 4k games on the Pro too. But wow the list keeps getting bigger.
Don't worry ;)

I admit that there are 4K games on PS4 Pro that I didn't expect.

onQ123

The funny thing is that NBA 2K17 is rendered to force 4K in every situation

NBA 2K17 is really a technical marvel.

Not really this is expected coming from a 1080p 60fps game on Xbox One going to PS4 Pro.

The only reason people's minds are blown is because they tried to gauge PS4 Pro by PC specs & games that are not optimized for 4K on different PCs.

Don't be surprised if Rise of the Tomb Raider has a native 4K mode.

Are you sure? Many know that the brandwidth was increased but most, if not all forget that the PS4 PRO has 512 MB extra VRAM unlocked for games. Do you realise that this increase is more than the PS3 enitre VRAM considering that the PS3 has split memory (256 MB VRAM + 256 MB RAM) and you know what devs could achieve with such hardware at that time, now imagine that addition to the PS4 PRO. This is not something to be ignored.
That's interesting, and I know the GDDR5 Ram is faster as well, just thought they would go up to 12GB.

We'll see though, they might have hit the sweet spot.

Btw when is Mark Cerny going to do his presentations?

That's interesting, and I know the GDDR5 Ram is faster as well, just thought they would go up to 12GB.

We'll see though, they might have hit the sweet spot.

Btw when is Mark Cerny going to do his presentations?

What presentations? You mean detailed presentation of the PS4 PRO? Maybe at PSX. They got to show some stuff there.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
What presentations? You mean detailed presentation of the PS4 PRO? Maybe at PSX. They got to show some stuff there.

Cerny is going to do a dedicated presentation on the PS4 Pro and so forth. I think its happening later this month but I don't believe there is a concrete date yet.

smokeyp

You know the talk here is not about checkerboard. NBA 2K17 will be native 4K @60 FPS + HDR and not using checkerboard which is really a HUGE achievement.

Oh absolutely, but I just can't help but be a little on the skeptical side. It will be super sick if they manage to not compromise on the little things (dropping to 30 fps during replays/cutaways/cutscenes, crowd detail, lowering detail on bench players, etc).

I'll definitely pick up a PS4 version anyways to just to check it out in HDR on the PS4Pro.

Oh absolutely, but I just can't help but be a little on the skeptical side. It will be super sick if they manage to not compromise on the little things (dropping to 30 fps during replays/cutaways/cutscenes, crowd detail, lowering detail on bench players, etc).

I'll definitely pick up a PS4 version anyways to just to check it out in HDR on the PS4Pro.

I don't think this will happen because whether you have a 4K TV or a 1080p TV the game will still be rendered in native 4K. Your scenario may work if there are two modes for the game, one for 4K TVs and the other for 1080p with increased details. but the game will still output the same results and the PS4 PRO version can never look worse than the PS4 version.

Shin-Ra

I thought just smaller games would be native? Isn't Horizon and Days Gone 4K with checkerboard? Are sports games not as demanding?
Sports games typically have very strictly directed cameras so the level of detail can be finely tuned for each perspective. Rendering requirements don't change much moment to moment in gameplay, the greatest performance spikes might be in TV broadcast style closeups or the intro pyrotechnics in a wrestling game for example.

I wonder if The Nathan Drake Collection could run at native 4K.. hell, any form of Pro update would be appreciated, surprised it's not happening.
The very first screenshots for The Nathan Drake Collection were 3840x2160 with no AA. The nice thing with 4K pixel density is even without temporal anti-aliasing you can barely see dithering in shadows, and transparencies in other games like MGSV.

http://gifyu.com/images/uncharted-nathan-drake-collection-1.jpg
http://gifyu.com/images/uncharted-nathan-drake-collection-2.jpg
http://gifyu.com/images/uncharted-nathan-drake-collection-3.jpg
http://gifyu.com/images/uncharted-nathan-drake-collection-4.jpg
http://gifyu.com/images/uncharted-nathan-drake-collection-5.jpg

Mokubba

I don't have a 4K TV just yet but I love seeing this list grow more and more.
After seeing Horizon Zero Dawn on a 4K HDR TV, I was fine with checkerboard rendering for all titles but hey I'll take native too.

I am above it, you don't see me calling them fools or making them the butt of jokes

You were right so proclaim it because I know I will if i predicted it and got called out multiple times for it.

Marmelade

I need some of the checkerboard rendering magic, because I can't even hit a stable 60 in NBA2K17 with a 980ti at 3440x1440.

Crazy.

Yeah I have both a 980 Ti @1500/4000 and a 1070 @2050/4600 and they can't run the game @4k/60 max (w/o AA)

It'd be really impressive, even if it's not at max settings, if the Pro could run it at native 4k/60

black070

The very first screenshots for The Nathan Drake Collection were 3840x2160 with no AA. The nice thing with 4K pixel density is even without temporal anti-aliasing you can barely see dithering in shadows, and transparencies in other games like MGSV.

http://gifyu.com/images/uncharted-nathan-drake-collection-1.jpg
http://gifyu.com/images/uncharted-nathan-drake-collection-2.jpg
http://gifyu.com/images/uncharted-nathan-drake-collection-3.jpg
http://gifyu.com/images/uncharted-nathan-drake-collection-4.jpg
http://gifyu.com/images/uncharted-nathan-drake-collection-5.jpg

Oh boy, I'd replay the shit out of the three if they patched it.

didn't they say at the conference that FIFA 17 and CoD IW were?

CoD IW is checkerboard confirmed. You can get native 3840 x 2160 only when you stand still and don't move the camera which is great for taking screenshots.

Are the games listed in the op real 4k or checker board 4k?

Did you fully read the OP or just the list? Even the title alone is self-explanatory and this is the purpose of the thread to start with.

I remember DF showing that the distant crowd reactions in Madagascar is halved to 15 FPS when they get frightened to save performance and that looked awkward. I hope this gets solved with PS4 PRO so the game becomes more consistent (lighting and SSS should be fixed too).

onQ123

I haven't seen anything surprising with the resolution of any games yet but I'm hoping to see something surprising with lighting or volume rendering. Dreams on PS4 Pro should be amazing even if they don't go for native 4K

Outlast 2 PS4 Pro Support Confirmed, Enhancements Detailed

It will have higher shadow quality, higher quality texture filtering and more detailed meshes. That’s what we have so far, but we’re still working on some improvements.

I don't know how could they enhance the PS4 version with the PS4 PRO. The game already runs at 60 FPS on PS4 and I didn't notice any difference between the maxed out PC version and the PS4 version. I expected native 4K resolution on PS4 PRO tbh.

AmyS

Outlast 2 PS4 Pro Support Confirmed, Enhancements Detailed

I don't know how could they enhance the PS4 version with the PS4 PRO. The game already runs at 60 FPS on PS4 and I didn't notice any difference between the maxed out PC version and the PS4 version. I expected native 4K resolution on PS4 PRO tbh.
It will have higher shadow quality, higher quality texture filtering and more detailed meshes. That’s what we have so far, but we’re still working on some improvements.

More polygons, yay!

Would it even be possible for GTA V to be native?
Also, wouldn't it not even matter if something is rendered in 4k, but the assets are still 1080p? Don't you need 4k textures?

Latimer

Banned
Also, wouldn't it not even matter if something is rendered in 4k, but the assets are still 1080p? Don't you need 4k textures?

You don't need them, but they are very nice to have.

Hell Mass Effect 1 looks awesome in 4k.

You mean mesh and environment textures. Well, the overall resolution increase will help make the IQ look better but increasing texture size will vastly improve the game look. In fact, high res textures can look very good even if they exceed the output resolution, i.e GOW3 had 2048 x 2048 textures while the game was running in 720p.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Red Dead Redemption Remastered in native 4K... I can dream...

I am hoping like hell that there are UHD TV's next year with a good version of HDR and low latency for under $1,000. Something tells me that it won't happen, but one can hope. 1080p with higher textures, shadows, etc. will have to hold me off until then.

Top Bottom