• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Won't Support 4k BluRay

I don't think it makes as much financial sense to include a 4k blu ray player today than it did including a blu ray player in the PS3 back in the day.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm quite upset about this. The console still has value to me as a gaming device but a substantial part of the reason I was going to jump on it right away is because of UHD blu support. Hopefully Sony says something about adding it in after launch.

orochi91

I don't use my consoles for Media Playback anyways, since I always get a dedicated player.

But Pro having 4K disc playback at all is just absuuuuuuuuuuuuuurd :eek:

Looking forward to that PS blog post/interview trying to justify this omission.

Apples_89

What in the actual fuck. The only redeeming feature that I was struggling to wrap my head around as justification to purchase this scam, which I presumed would be a given, is not actually included? What a joke.

STEaMkb

Good. Anyone remember this?

The war of words between Sony and Microsoft has peaked again, with European Xbox chief Neil Thompson savaging the PlayStation 3 as representing little more than a shiny new DVD player... Speaking exclusively to [Banned site], he said, "I think [Sony] has missed the ball, in that it’s not really a next-generation games player – it’s a next-generation DVD player. For us, that’s great news, because we think we make the next-generation games console."

Apparently watching Blu-Ray movies is now the most important thing in the world.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Dealbreaker. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Jakoo

but-why.gif

Sony pioneers the Blu-Ray via the PS3 and sells it out its successor a generation later.

Makes no sense to me. I guess it was cut to hit a price point. In which case it makes sense.

But makes no sense since their whole push is 4k.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
So fucking stupid if true.

edit nm ughhh

Averon

The only way this makes sense is if Sony made it a priority to keep the $399 price. So something had to give. Given the popularity of streaming, cutting out the 4K UHD was the obvious choice.

Honestly, this is bullshit. How do you release something like this and not put in 4K Blu-Ray support? I may still buy, but that's a big disappointment.

For fucks sake Sony.

Obviously they did it to keep the cost below 400, but as I said in the other thread, I would pay £450 for a pro with uhd drive.

Arex

weird decision, although I've never even bought a bluray movie or have 4k tv, so it doesn't really matter to me lol

Top Bottom