• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 pwr 40%> XB1? M.Nelson: "very much looking forward to [when] the truth comes out"

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd44890

Banned
I think over time, the ps4 will be worse than people thought and the xbone will be better than people thought. ps4 will still be more powerful, but it will be closer than everyone thinks.

The X1 issues are actually related to the design of the system itself. Since they HAD to have 8GB of RAM, they had to target DDR3 and then create the architecture the eliminate the bandwith bottleneck, thus vasting precious sillicon space on it.

Sony, on the other hand, targeted GDDR5 first, and poured all the transistors into a vastly superior GPU. Sony's bet payed off and now they're going to get a more powerful system for around the same price.

dyergram

Just imagine how much more powerful the ps4 would be if Microsoft programmers worked on it. Probably like 40% or something.

Chobel

There also this interesting comment from Albert Penello, bolded the interesting part
I'm not assuming anyone is dumb. Not at all. I can understand based on what has been disclosed, why people are arriving at that conclusion.

I'm stating that not everyone knows all the facts. There are still a lot of important details about the platforms that are still unknown. I have many, many questions about what Sony is doing technically.

The question I posed earlier, and the statements I'm making now, will come out when we see the actual shipping boxes.

The most obvious point is that anyone looking at games on both platforms do not see ANY difference, let alone this alleged 30% - 40%. Both systems are powerful. Both are capable of next-gen graphics. I'm merely saying the application of that performance will mean the actual difference will not be that great.

Why was Major Nelsons account not approved? It doesn't make sense to me.

Edit: y2kev's post above suggests it might not be the case

K' Dash

me too Larry, me too, MS will continue to ridicule themselves, just as they have been doing since the reveal.

Thread title is wrong, the gap is closer to 40%.

The way those two are defending this is something I'd be embarrassed by if I were either of them or even just a Microsoft employee. No "inventor of DirectX" magic is going to fucking close a gap that big. It reeks of desperation.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
He does have a point about the power hype about PS3 vs 360 though. I believe the difference will be pretty unnoticeable tbh, and probably only visible at all on first/second party titles

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

Outside of multiplatform games I'm not sure about better, but he does make an interesting point.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What's the source for the "second GPU" rumor?

One guy with no understanding of tech making ridiculous assumptions based off of a misunderstanding of a tech presentation. If there was a second GPU in there Microsoft would be shouting that from the rooftops.

Side note, isn't the PS4 40% more powerful than the Xbox One? Where did 30% come from?
Subtracting the 9% CPU advantage for XBO from the 40% GPU advantage on PS4 and rounding down :lol

McHuj

Side note, isn't the PS4 40% more powerful than the Xbox One? Where did 30% come from?

The GPU is, but the system overall isn't. As far as I'm aware a good portion of a game will run on nearly identical CPUs.

WarMacheen

They said that:

1. They don't know the details of Sony's system architecture, nor are they engineers...
  2. ...but details in system architectures will level out real world performance.
That is logically incoherent. In addition, they don't provide evidence or rational argument, but an emotional appeal to their reputation as software makers. That is not enough.

Lol, we don't know the actual details of the PS4, but there is no power difference in reality.

right

kmag

There's not a second gpu. People need to get that idea out of their head. At best, there might be some technology in the GPU which is exclusive to Southern Islands which Amd won't let MS talk about until Amd announce it on the 25th (which would explain why MS is allegedly having another developer conference on the 26th_. But you'd wonder why Sony wouldn't have what that is either, and as far as I'm aware no-one has any valid ideas or concepts of what any proposed additional ability could possibly be.

This sounds like PR fluff. Microsoft bet the farm on having an APU with a large single pool of memory from the outset, Sony didn't. MS approach meant they had to go DDR3 and had to spend a lot of their the silicon budget on esram to make up for the limited bandwidth for DDR. Sony though luck or judgement found themselves in a position they could incrementally increase the fast memory in their box to parity against the XB1 at the same time having the available silicon to devote to more GPU resources. Sometimes it's really just that simple. Sony got a bit lucky, MS (for all their other misteps) got a bit unlucky.

thefit

They are so confident they have been on a constant rehab PR blitz since the reveal. Can't blame em its their job and they will go all in even in the face of facts. So far they have been on a crazy moneyhat spending binge trying to get timed exclusives in an attempt to have their lineup look like a seamless transition from how they have operated last gen hell they haven't mentioned "TV" since the reveal its like that horrible day never happened and they are just a mild mannered gaming company.

Fuck this guy. Seriously, threads on comments from Major Nelson, Albert Penello and such just need to be closed. It causes a whole load of shit and we're supposed to accept their comments because they work for MS and are in a position of knowledge. Well fuck all of them, either show the goods and documentation of shut the fuck up. Just like every other GAF member.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Thread title is wrong, the gap is closer to 40%.

The way those two are defending this is something I'd be embarrassed by if I were either of them or even just a Microsoft employee. No "inventor of DirectX" magic is going to fucking close a gap that big. It reeks of desperation.

I think they're saying 30% now due to the recent upclock they did.

farisr

This is their new form of PR/stance since the 180s.

Before they were like "yeah we have a weaker system, so what!?"

after the 180s and their reevaluations/low preorders, they probably deemed that THAT aspect of all things was not a good place to be totally honest and outgoing about (especially being the more expensive console), and now it's wait and see, the differences aren't there, or secret sauce in the xb1.

Fuck this guy. Seriously, threads on comments from Major Nelson, Albert Penello and such just need to be closed. It causes a whole load of shit and we're supposed to accept their comments because they work for MS and are in a position of knowledge. Well fuck all of them, either show the goods and documentation of shut the fuck up. Just like every other GAF member.

But have you seen Titanfall?

Akkad

Banned
Seriously doesn't make sense, why wait until now to reveal something when the preorder numbers were crap compared to PS4?

The truth:

175876712114296684sce.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There's not a second gpu. People need to get that idea out of their head. At best, there might be some technology in the GPU which is exclusive to Southern Islands which Amd won't let MS talk about until Amd announce it on the 25th (which would explain why MS is allegedly having another developer conference on the 26th_. But you'd wonder why Sony wouldn't have what that is either, and as far as I'm aware no-one has any valid ideas or concepts of what any proposed additional ability could possibly be.

MS' conference on the 26th is just a Eurogamer Expo talk. It's been scheduled for a long time. Pure coincidence.

Liamario

Banned
I don't believe a word he says and never have. He's a mouth piece and it's a little disappointing to see people caring about what he says, considering his history.

BeerSnob

He does have a point about the power hype about PS3 vs 360 though. I honestly believe the difference will be pretty unnoticeable tbh, and probably only visible at all on first/second party titles

Didn't the PS3 lose a lot of competitive advantage due to the hardware being difficult to program for? I seem to remember devs complain about the PS3 architecture extensively. Or maybe it was PR FUD sent out by drones, I never worked in this industry.

The most interesting thing Albert wrote is what no one is even talking about:

I'm not assuming anyone is dumb. Not at all. I can understand based on what has been disclosed, why people are arriving at that conclusion.

I'm stating that not everyone knows all the facts. There are still a lot of important details about the platforms that are still unknown. I have many, many questions about what Sony is doing technically.

The question I posed earlier, and the statements I'm making now, will come out when we see the actual shipping boxes.

The most obvious point is that anyone looking at games on both platforms do not see ANY difference, let alone this alleged 30% - 40%. Both systems are powerful. Both are capable of next-gen graphics. I'm merely saying the application of that performance will mean the actual difference will not be that great.

So what will be written on the boxes that will give us a better understanding of this power gap? Because it seems like MS really is holding out on us.

Domino792

One guy with no understanding of tech making ridiculous assumptions based off of a misunderstanding of a tech presentation. If there was a second GPU in there Microsoft would be shouting that from the rooftops.

This! Just like with the thought of a earlier release than the 15th. If this stuff was true Microsoft would have been shouting about this for months now.

Vire

If Microsoft was confident about their hardware they would say what Mark Cerny said "Multiplatform games will look better on our system"

Except they wont...

So instead we get secret sauce bullshit and turbo graphics nonsense. These comments will be laughed at when Digital Foundry rolls around in November and the case is closed.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I wouldn't read anything into it. These are PR people and they don't want to let 30% more powerful to become widely accepted fact because it implies 30% better games. So naturally they are going to try and deflect these issues, trying to create just a tiny bit of doubt in the hope that at some point after launch they will be able to change tact entirely and start saying "consumers want games not spec sheets".

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Does he really think we wouldn't approve his account?

Yep. That's the most standout thing for me. No way GAF mods or 'lore won't approve his account. Why wouldn't he be approved?!

Someone please tweet him and ask how this is so? Maybe he's using a different username and email?

We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics. We targeted it more as a broad entertainment play.

That's straight from someone that actually worked directly on the building of the console. Not PR.

If the Xbone had a secret weapon inside the box that would make it considerably more powerful we would know about it. Essentially all the important details of the Xbone's hardware have been leaked so this 'second GPU' would also be known.
Additionally if there was such a secret weapon I think Microsoft would have stressed it to the public just as they have the 'power of the cloud' and the 150 mghz (or however much it was) upgrade.

I believe the Major's comments are designed as smoke and mirrors: ambiguous enough to lead some spectators to interpret positive improvements for the Xbone when, in reality, there are no such improvements. Past examples of this tactic is the family sharing plan which was hinted at vaguely by Microsoft as the redeeming factor of the pre-DRM policies, but leaked to have been, in reality, much more limited.

Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom