• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 pwr 40%> XB1? M.Nelson: "very much looking forward to [when] the truth comes out"

Status
Not open for further replies.

IN&OUT

Banned
So you want me to believe that MS is hiding another GPU in their console?

C'mon guys, they would've at least mentioned it instead of the famous upclock official statement !

javac

I'd love to see him have a GAF
Silver
account just to see the threads and posts he'd make. Would be cool to read.

Amir0x

Banned
Didn't Albert follow up his infamous 'secret sauce' post with something about how everything will make sense once we see what's written on the respective console boxes?

I don't know, didn't see that post. But again, Albert doesn't know everything either; he was already caught flatfooted with the Kinect voice delay stuff in many countries and said he didn't know what was going on and had to go back to the engineers for new answers.

If there is a another secret GPU, would that even be on the box? Why would they list that on the box? I am looking at my Xbox 360 box now and don't even see anything about what's under its hood. Is the Xbox One going to have that stuff on the box? Doesn't seem plausible.

Yes, it's called FUD. When you don't actually have any competitive advantage, all that's left is to attempt to promote the idea that the real differences aren't meaningful. In this case by implying the "jury is still out" or that "the truth" has yet to be revealed. It's desperate, and has long been considered one of the lowest forms of marketing.

They have some competitive advantages; they've just been advertising them really poorly and have decided to focus on all the wrong things :p

He does have a point about the power hype about PS3 vs 360 though. I honestly believe the difference will be pretty unnoticeable tbh, and probably only visible at all on first/second party titles

Expect that PS4/Xbox one situation is completely different to PS3/X360 situation when it comes to power. Those consoles had vastly different architectures with both having their strong points. Now you have consoles with same CPU, same amount of unified RAM (except that GDDR5 is faster) and GPU that has same architecture. PS4 just has way more powerful GPU. There will be difference. I simply can't understand how some people refuse to get this. Situation is completely different.

cilonen

If I mentally substitute M. Bison for M. Nelson every time a thread about him comes up, I may make it through the launch window without going postal.

It's a much more amusing mental image.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
It's quite obvious nothing is going on except Albert and Major Nelson synchronizing their PR message to try to downplay a clear and undisputed by most objective-observers PS4 advantage.

If they have a secret GPU that'd be fascinating, but not a single leak document has ever suggested this as far as I am aware, and given how much other stuff leaked, and how much such an announcement could change some of the negativity, I remain skeptical that such a secret is hidden.

Microsoft does not have any secret sauce.

Pretty much. "The truth" is 99% likely referring to the fact they think there will be no difference between the two platform's visuals.

If they had said that they've based their views after a throughout software/hardware dissection of the PS4's architecture, etc... then sure, I would be willing to give them the benefit of some doubt.

But no.

All they're basing on is the fact that MS has smart programmers, talk up DirectX, and leveraging terms like real world performance. (duh, obviously) It shows a complete disregard of their competitor's own strengths and the notion that Sony... can actually do what they do as well on the same level.

You know, Nelson. Didn't you do those comparison tables that talk up hardware differences and all that jazz in the PS3 vs X360 post? It'd be nice to see a return of that.

K' Dash

the level of bullshit of these guys (Larry and Albert) is already surpassing 2006 Sony, God, just stop talking and start showing, if you have anything to show that is.

These two guys are being mentioned in almost every thread now relating to next gen console threads, it's getting ridiculous.

They are PR people. You won't find any truth to their words, they want to sell you their system and that is all.

I don't know, didn't see that post. But again, Albert doesn't know everything either; he was already caught flatfooted with the Kinect voice delay stuff in many countries and said he didn't know what was going on and had to go back to the engineers for new answers.

If there is a another secret GPU, would that even be on the box? Why would they list that on the box? I am looking at my Xbox 360 box now and don't even see anything about what's under its hood. Is the Xbox One going to have that stuff on the box? Doesn't seem plausible.

Here's the post I'm referring to:

I'm not assuming anyone is dumb. Not at all. I can understand based on what has been disclosed, why people are arriving at that conclusion.

I'm stating that not everyone knows all the facts. There are still a lot of important details about the platforms that are still unknown. I have many, many questions about what Sony is doing technically.

The question I posed earlier, and the statements I'm making now, will come out when we see the actual shipping boxes.

The most obvious point is that anyone looking at games on both platforms do not see ANY difference, let alone this alleged 30% - 40%. Both systems are powerful. Both are capable of next-gen graphics. I'm merely saying the application of that performance will mean the actual difference will not be that great.

I don't quite understand the bolded myself. But it looks like he's alluding to something MS hasn't revealed as yet.

Derrick01

Banned
Side note, isn't the PS4 40% more powerful than the Xbox One? Where did 30% come from?

I think that number is just for the GPU differences right? If it is it's not even accounting for the RAM difference.

Yet MS keeps trying to spin that there's a unicorn that farts rainbows in the machine that can make up for that difference. I wish they'd share it so I could turn my GTX 470 into a 780.

nib95

Banned
One guy with no understanding of tech making ridiculous assumptions based off of a misunderstanding of a tech presentation. If there was a second GPU in there Microsoft would be shouting that from the rooftops.

Subtracting the 9% CPU advantage for XBO from the 40% GPU advantage on PS4 and rounding down :lol

But the CPU difference in actual flops is marginal.

Microsoft is just yet again trying to mislead and re-define to their own PR notion.

madmackem

Pr gonna Pr,

tumblr_ln7481nyqa1qzd58xo1_250.gif

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

I don't quite understand the bolded myself. But it looks like he's alluding to something MS hasn't revealed as yet.

That's what it sounds like, and that's why I made the thread. Wondering if anyone could shine the light as to what this could possibly be, if anything.

I think that number is just for the GPU differences right? If it is it's not even accounting for the RAM difference.

Yet MS keeps trying to spin that there's a unicorn that farts rainbows in the machine that can make up for that difference. I wish they'd share it so I could turn my GTX 470 into a 780.

You need to have a talk with your card about how it can maximize its value for you.

I can't wait till the first multiplatform comparisons from Digital Foundry hit the web, so this charade can finally start to die down.

Ricky_R

Didn't Albert follow up his infamous 'secret sauce' post with something about how everything will make sense once we see what's written on the respective console boxes?

What would be the use of that if by then most people won't care? Why wouldn't they say whatever it is the system has that we don't know of now, when they need it the most?

It just sound like BS.

Chobel

I understand it as the day you open the shipping boxes and play the games you won't see the difference.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The thing about all of these comments from MS PR about the power difference seem to be operating under the false assumption that visual fidelity is quantifiable. 40% more GPU power doesn't mean a game will look 40% better, just that there is more horsepower to make a noticeable visual difference.

War Eagle

Albert Penello said:
I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I'm sorry but no game on 360 looks as good as GOW or TLoU.

Concept17

If they have the smartest programmers in the world, then why are Sony's first party offerings leagues ahead of theirs, and on a more consistent basis?

Amir0x

Banned

Well I certainly don't know what the box itself will reveal. We have the unboxing, you can see here. We know what's on four out of the six sides, to my knowledge, none of which reveal anything at all we don't know. The back of every single console packaging I've ever seen in my life has never revealed anything too in-depth, it's usually marketing jumble: Oh here is a lineup of games, thanks to the UNPRECEDENTED POWER of this platform X is possible, look at these online features, etc. I've never seen a single one get detailed like "and with our hidden GPU". The most I think I've seen was PS3's reference to the Cell and Emotion Engine, which wasn't even a secret. The side of the package is used for legalese and details about what's in the box usually.

I really wouldn't expect anything. As a gamer I hope they have such as thing, but I really don't think the probability is high.

Microsoft guys saying that their console is better? I'm honestly surprised by this.

While I do think the differences in multi-plats will be small to completely negligible (at least initially, as these devs figure the consoles out), the numbers are all there.

The PS4 IS more powerful

In response to the OP's Penello quote: So despite the PS4 GPU being 40% stronger, having faster RAM, and being far better at GPGPU compute, the two consoles have "balanced" relative performance? I think we'd all love to see evidence of this.

Nobody doubts MS and Sony have smart programmers, but anything MS can do with its software, Sony can do. The claim that "games will look great on both systems" is subjective and says nothing about the raw numbers.

Yes Sony overhyped PS2 and PS3 capabilities, but the situation is different now. Given the architectures of PS4 and X1 are so similar, direct hardware comparisons are very valid. The different won't be "really huge", but it will be noticeable to serious gamers.

BTW, Sony could still slightly OC their CPU/GPU pre or even post-launch if they determined it was safe for launch systems.

Or it's just bullshit to try and get their pre-orders up.

Everything from MS is poison right now. They all need to shut the fuck up and let the soufflé rise or not. This FUD and implying that their product is going to be better than previously outlined without actually giving any hard figures is all bullshit.

MS need to crap or get off the pot, break out the numbers or shut the fuck up. Since Major Nelson and Penello haven't broken the figures out it's all bullshit.

nib95

Banned
Can someone do the actual performance difference? As in exact figures. In terms of flop count. That way we can close the book on Microsoft's own skewed version of the numbers.

The GPU difference after the upclock has the PS4 at what, 41% more powerful? What is the flop difference between the CPU's post upclock?

baphomet

I tend to believe factual evidence as opposed to wishful thinking. Of course if I were PR for a giant corporation with a vastly inferior product I'd be saying that facts aren't true as well.

That just sounds weird, given that the manuals in the retail boxes don't detail specs down-to-the-dot. We're more likely to see the hardware details at their most basic level, aka everything announced at the pre-E3 reveal event.

This is just assumption, but I think he's simply referring to the fact that we will know all the behind-the-scenes details about all the technicalities of the system, like actual RAM allocation, clock-speed, etc once the console is out there.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but that's not how it works.
It's as accurate as our current % power comparisons, so no, it's not how it works not at all.
I really don't think the 30% number he threw out was significant, I think he was just trying to make a point that they wouldn't accept a significant power difference.

Can someone do the actual performance difference? As in exact figures. In terms of flop count. That way we can close the book on Microsoft's own skewed version of the numbers.

The GPU difference after the upclock has the PS4 at what, 41% more powerful? What is the flop difference between the CPU's post upclock?
We don't know the full specs of either console yet so how could we?

Can't wait.

They're talking about the cloud right? Must be the cloud. I've been waiting for the truth to come out about the cloud since they started talking about it's infinite power.

i2MWw79xkd0SF.gif

I'm ready to be impressed MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom