• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells 322,083 units in two days in Japan

I was thinking it would've been around 250k. This is pretty good news considering how handheld-focused Japan is. This means sales should be over 6mil worldwide by now.

deadstar72

Neo Member
the predictability of Helen Keller playing Darts

I laughed way too hard at this, I'm a bad person. As for the launch numbers, I think Sony have done exceptionally well, considering the fact that it's February and there's a general dearth of titles for Japanese players to choose from. It will be interesting to see how big the drop off is after the first week, but I think 500k in the first month is certainly within their reach.

Market conditions can vary drastically from one to another. JP has moved towards handheld and mobile gaming. Also other factors such as the launch time is important. This is February..UK/US etc had theirs in the holiday season

Thanks for the info. Do you think it could've made 500k closer to Christmas?

B.O.O.M

Thanks for the info. Do you think it could've made 500k closer to Christmas?

Hard to say really. The JP gaming landscape, imo, is a bit unpredictable now. Maybe with a solid game or two

The thing is, and I have argued this should be the route sony should go before they revealed their worldwide launch dates, is Sony understands this and focused on the other markets first and foremost. JP market will be better for them in about a year or so when the devs move from ps3 game development to ps4 development.

Hyunashi

Why is there no Japanese indie scene?

Would it not be better for them to release on the mobile platform if they were indies in Japan? Its obviously the growing market unfortunately. I am more curious about indie sales on platforms in Japan itself.

The system launched well enough, but that is a terrible line-up.
That's just a typically after launch line-up for any platform in Japan. It takes Japanese devs a very long time to move onto the next console generation. With the way PS4 started, I would not be surprised if more devs start porting games earlier, and then plan to make new games for it.

I dont think any of the Japanese games would have been ready for that period so I would say similar to worse numbers imo.

Oddly, I don't think people really buy consoles at launch for the games. It's more like, the promise of games to come.

I've not been impressed with either MS or Sony's launch line-ups tbh (I've been mainly playing AC4, but that's cross-gen!).

OneUh8

I think that is a very good number. I thought it would hit 400k, but I would not be disappointed with those sales numbers if I was Sony since the software lineup was weak for Japanese games.

Kandinsky

Wow, I honestly expected less, a lot less, thanks to our visionary/saviour Cerny the console JP industry is still alive and kicking.

Shengar

There are, Kev. But they are very limited to event like comiket even though some of them are pretty hot stuff. They don't release their game digitally and mostly it through doujin online shops outside of events. Japanese indies need paradigm shift on how they released their game.

Jarnet87

over 3 times the sales of PS3, well done. I don't think any console is gonna reach those 2 day sales in Japan again like the PS2 did, 600k plus units. I think the lack of titles that appeal to Japanese gamers is a little over exaggerated. It's got enough with their puzzle games, the Dynasty Warriors and Yakuza game to peak interest. Down the line they'll have games that are system sellers. Final Fantasy 14 will move some consoles I'm sure if it hasn't already, XV and Kingdom Heartsif they comes out, the Japanese sure as hell aren't gonna buy it on Xbox One.

Axass

I think the scene is alive and kicking though it's focused on visual novels, and visual novels aren't the best suited games for very powerful home systems, you wouldn't buy a PS4 for them, when you can find them on PC and handhelds.

With all the positive press the PS4 versions of FFXIV and MGS:GZ have been getting, I think the PS4 will see a sales boost with each of those games release.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Good to hear. There was so much doom and gloom over the weekend that I was beginning to expect Japan's complete withdrawal from console gaming.

Endo Punk

I had made up my mind that if it was under 300k there would be zero hope for Japanese devs making a comeback. So there is hope, very pleased with the results and SCEJ should really show off some of its games/RPG's in development so the sales don't fall.

Melchiah

Launch week sales:
Wii U - 308,142
Vita - 324,859
3DS - 374,764
Wii - 350,358
PS3 - 81,639
360 - 43,970

350k is perfectly normal launch shipment for Japan.

Not bad in that context, but I wished for +500k. I guess my wish was unrealistic considering the current state of gaming in Japan, but I still hope it picks up from there so we'd get some console gaming renaissance going on in there.

Lokbob

Pretty good considering the bad game lineup, without the hype from the west the numbers would've been worse I think.

Gammacide

Good to see in our current climate with mobile gaming being so popular and global economies being NOTHING like they were back in the release days of PS2 or even Wii. More impressive when all things are considered, esp a fairly lackluster game library for launch.

Ricker

Not bad I guess...keep it going going,more sales means a better chance they make good JRPG's and the chance we get some over here in N.A. :p

Not bad in that context, but I wished for +500k. I guess my wish was unrealistic considering the current state of gaming in Japan, but I still hope it picks up from there so we'd get some console gaming renaissance going on in there.

500k+ would be possible. But not in febraury and not with a launch line up with mainly western games.

Elios83

Well as I said yesterday 300k was the threshold for a good launch for me:

It's disappointing that we didn't get the numbers on monday.
Still I believe that 300k is the threshold to consider the launch successful (assuming the initial shipment is at least 350k of course).
There's no doubt that Sony has an uphill battle to make a home console a huge success in Japan nowadays, they need to work hard with their japanese studios and third party partners to provide a good flow of games.

so I think it's a good result. Of course support will be the key for future sales.
Kawano is promising regular releases and new game announcements from April onward:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02...-from-april-reminisces-about-crash-bandicoot/

ethomaz

Banned
Shipped 350k in a non-holiday period and sol 322k... I call that great. I read two more shipments was made by Sony since Monday with most is stores getting sold out.

Amazing performance for a dead console market.

I expect a boost in sales with MGS in few weeks... there are a limited console edition.

So the best selling first two days of a home console in Japan history
for all consoles not as godly as the PS2

Wonder what the sell-through on all the consoles were too

Top Bottom