• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells 322,083 units in two days in Japan

anderedna

Asian, especially markets with a Chinese-speaking audience ( SG, HK, etc ) have always enjoyed Japanese games since the good old PS2 days. Hasn't changed, it's just more apparent now because the audience has shrinked in the west.

There's a reason why Japanese games get localised in Chinese/Korean, but not necessarily in English. Despite the size of our market, we're in a way a better audience for Japanese games compared to the west, and arguably less costly because we don't care for English dubs. ( and we're fine with cheapskate localisation measures )

Asian here. Agree with this, especially the bold one. Just slap English sub and it's done, but it has to be English tho, not all of us could understand Chinese/Korean.

~~Hasan~~

Asian here. Agree with this, especially the bold one. Just slap English sub and it's done, but it has to be English tho, not all of us could understand Chinese/Korean.

this. i never even want an English dubs. its just horrible. the only thing i watched with english dub and i was able to swallow is Dragon Ball Z. the others are just shit from there.

Elios83

I'm not sure why people are saying wait for next week... Isn't the most it can possibly sell 28k or so?

No as weekly shipments are planned. Amazon JP already got their second shipment. Also it's not like 350k was huge to being with.
It's clear that they're taking advantage of the fact that they can restock quickly in Japan compared to US or Europe where the average shipment (not by air) takes two weeks.

Mandoric

Banned
Not bad in that context, but I wished for +500k. I guess my wish was unrealistic considering the current state of gaming in Japan, but I still hope it picks up from there so we'd get some console gaming renaissance going on in there.

Launch saturation, for perspective:
UK: 1/250
NA: 1/350
Japan: 1/385
EU inc. UK: 1/830
EU outside UK: 1/1160 (Sony's numbers of 700k for region, minus the 250k accounted for in the UK, spread over the populations of official launch countries only)

The takeaways are that Japan isn't -too- disinterested, just less interested than they once were, and that if Europe ever fully awakens to consoles we're in for a far greater pole shift than the one that occured last gen.

Edit: Typo, NA should be 1/350 rather than 1/340.

Melchiah

500k+ would be possible. But not in febraury and not with a launch line up with mainly western games.

I'd like to see the software sales charts. Did Sony sell all systems available, or did the supply exceed demand?

EDIT:
NA: 1/340
EU outside UK: 1/1160 (Sony's numbers of 700k for region, minus the 250k accounted for in the UK, spread over the populations of official launch countries only)

The takeaways are that Japan isn't -too- disinterested, just less interested than they once were, and that if Europe ever fully awakens to consoles we're in for a far greater pole shift than the one that occured last gen.

Well, when you put it that way, it doesn't sound so bad.

Mung

NA: 1/340
EU inc. UK: 1/830

That's interesting, thanks.

Radec

In Japan? Of course it is, I'd bet my life on it.

Well, it's time to collect

KuGsj.gif

noobsaur is in my ignore list for months, and I'm still getting surprised on how low he can get.

jorma

is now taking requests

The numbers are kinda skewed thoush - Ii had to buy my ps4 from amazon.uk because there aren't really any consoles available here in .se. I don't know how prevalent this is, but i know i wasn't the only one :)

I'm not sure these numbers shows much else than Sony prioritising the UK heavily in their launch assignments. Can't really blame them though, seeing as the UK would be the only area in the EU where the xb1 could possibly compete.

Freeman

Banned
Its interesting how every other console were release in holiday season aside from PS4 and Original Xbox.

Its an unfair comparison.

kinggroin

Banned
I don't think this news says anything at all about whether or not the PS4 will have legs in Japan.

Day one sales never do. Shit, look how close these numbers are to Wii U. There's also not much in the way of eastern centric software coming any time soon (MGS I guess?)

But we can say its a helluva start considering past launches.

Mets39

i'm pessimistic about the future of home console in Japan myself, but i must say that this is better than i expected. Let's see where this thing will be 2-3 months from now

Shiina

I was called crazy for predicting 250k on the first day and suddenly people are saying these numbers are great.

Liljagare

The question is though, did they run out of consolles in Japan too? Sales around here would have been ALOOOOOOOT higher if we just had some dang consolles to buy... :}

BadWolf

Good stuff, all is not lost just yet in the region.

Hope Sony is able to secure software to keep the momentum going in Japan.

Loudninja

Alright updated numbers:

US:
PS4: 2,273,000
Xbox One:1,960,000

UK:
PS4: 530,000
Xbox One: 364,000

Japan:
PS4: 322,083

Spain:
PS4:157,000
Xbox One:35,000

France:
PS4: 240k
Xbox One:126k

AU:
PS4: Outsold the Xbox One
Xbox One:65,917*first 3 days*

Germany:
PS4 250K
Xbox One 100K

Portugual:
PS4:21k

Sony Computer Entertainment Japan and Asia President Hiroshi Kawano was in attendance as a special guest on Yakuza’s Producer Toshihiro Nagoshi’s regular broadcast on Nico Nico. During the livestream he answered a few questions from the fans, and in particular to one from a concerned customer asking if there’ll be enough games for the new consoles after the release of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on April 14th.

Kawano encouraged viewers to rest at ease, as many PS4 titles are coming, and there’ll be regular new releases and announcements from April onward, through the summer and beyond, from western and Japanese developers and from Sony itself.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02...-from-april-reminisces-about-crash-bandicoot/

angrygnat

Not sure what people expected. This is Japan. Much less people than North America. Plus it was the holidays when PS4 was released everywhere else. People spend crazy money that time of year. I'm sure Sony is pleased with the first few days. I guess if people don't see idiots crashing through the aisles and shooting each other in parking lots, the launch is a failure these days.

Dragon

Banned
Not sure what people expected. This is Japan. Much less people than North America. Plus it was the holidays when PS4 was released everywhere else. People spend crazy money that time of year. I'm sure Sony is pleased with the first few days. I guess if people don't see idiots crashing through the aisles and shooting each other in parking lots, the launch is a failure these days.

If the shipment was 350K, one would assume Sony couldn't sell more than the shipment. So anyone saying 1 million must have missed that news.

johnny956

So this puts Sony at 5.5 million sold plus whatever else they sold feb 8th to present time in the rest if the world? I can see 6 million being attainable for the month.

Koppai

I'm willing to think Sony alotted about 500,000 for Japan. I'm sure the rest will sell out at a good pace. :)

Of course there are a lot of games. Are they appealing to Japanese audiences though?

Crash made by Knack team led by Cerny confirmed?
Oh hell no, NaughtyDog4Life

I hope Japan has been working on PS4 games for a while and will release them this year (and in the west too!)

I haven't touched my PS4 since like November :(

The same people who jumped the gun and contributed to the 50+ pages thread about how the console wasn't selling at all because of reports of retailers still having stock after 24h :D

Some have already made their minds. They weren't going to sing a different tune. Even if the PS4 had somehow sold at PS2 levels, there would have been some other excuse (oh well, the drop off will be huge, oh this is all based on hype etc). It was the same after the insane American and European launches, pessimistic people just expect annd/or want it to fail.

It's the logic of "since people don't want Xbox One and Wii U (two terribly flawed products), they must certainly not want a PS4 and console gaming = dead".

Kimppis

Its interesting how every other console were release in holiday season aside from PS4 and Original Xbox.

Its an unfair comparison.

Yeah, right. Ever heard of PS2 (March)? :) That launch was soooo horrible. It would have sold so much better in December...

And really, I'll say it again: I doubt that it matters much when the console launches, when we are talking about the first few days. Do you think a person that wants a next-gen console day one is like "oh, PS4 doesn't launch during the holidays, so I'm not gonna buy it. Too bad". Aren't the people who buy consoles at launch pretty much hardcore gamers?

The sales will go down considerably immediately after the launch, because it's February, that's for sure, but the negative effect is probably pretty negligible during the first 2 days.

Hope they know Western games and WWS outside Japan is irrelevant in Japan

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Watch Dogs does somewhat well. GTA6 has sparked a slightly increased interest in open-world, and some of the Japanese friends did say that WD looked cool and is kinda creating more interest there than Assasin's Creed ever did in Japan.

Of course, 100% anecdotal with no proof.

This is a nice surprise to wake up to. Hopefully it can actually hold good sales unlike the last 3 systems that have launched in Japan.

Jeels

This isn't bad, impressive actually. But I wonder if sales can stay decent (~20k for slow weeks) without much future software.

Top Bottom