• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells 322,083 units in two days in Japan

As expected, and once Japan's killer app falls into place, and those who slept on securing a console will end up spending lunatic prices just to be down.

Josman

That's actually pretty good, considering it's february
I hope VR becomes a success in Japan because I really want japanese developers to give their best.

Other games have no attached release date.

EDF will release this year, because it's an annual franchise, but no dates yet.

Yes, thank you for your input. Obviously there'll be titles released during the year. I'm saying, the post-launch line-up for the next two or three is looking pretty barren.

The problem is that they had decent launch line-up (DW8, Ryu ga gotoku, FFXIV beta) but the line-up after that is almost nothing. There is FFXIV launching in April but its not gonna be a big impact.

They really need to announce games for Japanese audience at this year's TGS.

TGS is too long to wait, they should be announcing some games sooner.

ethomaz

Banned
Famitsu home console openings

1998.11.27 [Sega Dreamcast] (¥29.800) - 101.490 (3 days)
2000.03.04 [Sony PlayStation 2] (¥39.800) - 630.552 (2 days)
2001.09.14 [Nintendo GameCube] (¥25.000) - 133.719 (3 days)
2002.02.22 [Microsoft XBox] (¥34.800) - 123.929 (3 days)
2005.12.10 [Microsoft XBox 360] (¥29.000 / ¥39.795) - 62.135 (2 days)
2006.11.11 [Sony PlayStation 3] (¥49.980 / ¥59.980) - 88.443 (2 days)
2006.12.02 [Nintendo Wii] (¥25.000) - 371.936 (2 days)
2012.12.08 [Nintendo Wii U] (¥26.250 / ¥31.500) - 308.570 (2 days)
2014.02.22 [Sony PlayStation 4] (¥41.979 / ¥46.179)- 322.083 (2 days)
Looking at the release dates PS4 did amazing for a non-holiday launch... I'm sure it could do better than Wii if launched in December... maybe close to 500k.

PS2 is the king yet.

Actually, soundly beating Wii U when they had a Monster Hunter game at launch is pretty good for a system with no games. Imagine if PS4 had a Monster Hunter game at launch.

Was it not?

I'm pretty sure there was still a decent sized gap between the PS4 and the WiiU before this, mainly due to the latter being available in Japan while the former wasn't. This was the last push it needed to break from the rest of the pack globally.

Your move, Microsoft.

Really curious to see how Japanese consumers treat the Xbox One.

eIpZPHV.jpg

I wonder...

Those exact words were probably said by someone before talking about the PS3.

except ps4 and ps3 are two different systems, and the fact that the ps4 numbers are three times the amount of ps3 in the same window. it even baffles me how people think these numbers are bad to begin with.

botty

Banned
I'm sorry, but looking at the PS4's game release schedule in Japan, I can't help but think that the Sony execs are begging Nomura to hurry up with FFXV/KH3 every day.

Worse than I hoped for a week ago, but better than I expected as of the last few days.

Would love to see official shipment figures. If it's 322k out of 350k, that isn't bad at all.

except ps4 and ps3 are two different systems, and the fact that the ps4 numbers are three times the amount of ps3 in the same window. it even baffles me how people think these numbers are bad to begin with.

Because some people had insane expectations that weren't ever going to come true. Not with the way Japan is now.

Actually, soundly beating Wii U when they had a Monster Hunter game at launch is pretty good for a system with no games. Imagine if PS4 had a Monster Hunter game at launch.

If Monster Hunter arrives later, I am sure it will be a big event. That and Dragon Quest should be on Sony's agenda to get into the PS4 fold.

nordique

Wow fantastic !

Better than I thought. Very happy to see. I love this console.

Hopefully it doesn't follow the same path as Wii u and fall off a cliff in sales...which I have a bad feeling it might :(

boingball

Not bad, but not good either. With the upcoming lineup the PS3 might be lucky to sell Vita numbers. I hope I am wrong though, I want to see some Japanese PS4 games.

Jamix012

so very possible to reach 1 million in 1 month.

about 0.1% Very probably before 2015 though.

Because these launch numbers are 50,000 lower than the 3DS which struggled pretty badly until it got a radical price cut and monster hunter?

Tratorn

Nice, better than I expected after all these "bad" reports that it's easy to find one and the shipment was "only" 350k.

But well, now it has to show it won't die as fast as WiiU and Vita and that will be pretty hard with its lineup in the following months...

Revisionist history works in weeks I see. Go into the predictions thread.

This is a pretty decent launch, but we'll see the real trend of the PS4 in weeks 2-5.

I guess your doom and gloom posts fall flat on their face when faced with numbers. There is no revision at all. In MC thread some people were waiting for it to bomb.

Japan loves Japanese consoles? Bomba news!

Too bad their market relevance is as far behind everyone else as their PS4 release date.

I'm sorry, but looking at the PS4's game release schedule in Japan, I can't help but think that the Sony execs are begging Nomura to hurry up with FFXV/KH3 every day.

I'm really not expecting much out of the consoles after Ground Zeroes comes out. Apart from Deep Down and Xrd, what big games do they have coming out in Japan for the PS4 this year?

75K at most and then im being generous.

I doubt the Xbox One sells 322,083 units for its lifetime in Japan.

We know the answer already.

It's going to sell like boxed cancer in Japan.

Yeah, the writing is already on the wall. But I still want to see how
bad
the console sells. Also curious to see what's up with the rumored Platinum Games... game.

Damn, beating everyone´s expectations.
Not me. I predicted 350k and 300k minimum. I don't know why people started lowballing all of a sudden.
That is pretty darn good actually. Pretty close to the Wii figure. Much better than the PS3 launch for sure. The 7 day number should probably go over 500,000. I wonder how many units they shipped as that could go a long way to determining final figures.
You won't get a 7 day number. It was tracked for two data last week and 9 days in total next week.

so very possible to reach 1 million in 1 month.
Try 500k

PS2 was PS2. All that needs to be said lol

And yes, PS3 had a shit launch lineup and an insanely high price.

Also:

Observe. Launch week numbers don't mean shit =\

Eh, the WiiU is cheaper and launched in holiday season yet the PS4 still outsold. That tells you how bad the WiiU is doing and not how bad the PS4 will do.

Top Bottom