• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 users can now purchase avatars through PlayStation Store

Shin-Ra

Tu..

Turds 4 Lyfe.

I0069_m.png
I0070_m.png
I0071_m.png
I0072_m.png
Just noticed there's free Until Dawn avatars on the UK web store.

mothball

Because it really didn't matter?

"let's make the basis of our new ui a social media feed and introduce the ability to use real names to really drive home how socially-oriented it is"
"should we let the user change their avatar? like maybe to one of those avatars we sell on our store? without having to use an external device or website because this is basically a plain fucking computer they're using and there's no reason for it to be impossible?"
"lol nah"

5taquitos

You guys do know you can just upload your own right?

Now they released them and nothing but complaining. Not surprised

Why do people pay for these when you can just create or make your own with the Playstation app? I've been using a custom one for a while...

People just seem to like it. I can use any avatar I like with the PlayStation App but it's cool people can use there old PS3 ones.

Can't you change your avatar to whatever you want via the PlayStation app?????

Yup that's what I did

A lot of people in this thread don't seem to know how custom avatars work, which is understandable because it isn't really spelled out. ONLY people that have accepted your real name request will be able to see your custom avatar. Anyone that you come across online or any of your rando friends will see your old PS3 or basic PS4 avatar.

Custom avatars ONLY work with Close Friends.

Shin-Ra

I just signed into my US account and had to verify my e-mail address which has never happened before.

UberTag

To everyone asking why people would buy avatars, the answer is simple:

I had leftover cash in my wallet and nothing else on the store costs .49-.99.
They're also an easy thing to spring money on when you're just a buck or two short from clearing the purchase threshold of Sony's many "buy $xx get $xx in credit back" promotions.

I've been sporting comic book Ellie for probably the last year and a half...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wouldn't mind supporting or purchasing an official set of avatars. I don't always do well with finding random fan art and using it. I've switched my avatar several times because of it. I did it on PS3 and I've been pretty pleased by it.

Volcynika

I remember wanting a Millia Rage (Guilty Gear Xrd) avatar, hooking up my PS3 just to buy it and set it as my avatar, because PS4 had no way of accessing it.

Cleve

Dunno if I'll ever change my Kyosuke from Rival Schools avatar, but it's cool that the feature is available again. I can't believe it took two years.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
So they make us spend 50+ a year on ps plus and now they want to nickel and dime us for avatars. Great job Sony. Ffs people this will just open the floodgates to things like paid exclusive communities and higher caps on voice chat parties. Smh

Cleve

So they make us spend 50+ a year on ps plus and now they want to nickel and dime us for avatars. Great job Sony. Ffs people this will just open the floodgates to things like paid exclusive communities and higher caps on voice chat parties. Smh

I'm pretty sure you can upload whatever you want for free via the ps app, or have they changed that?

IaN_GAF

No decent ones at all? I dunno why these ain't showing for me yet, but I was kinda hoping to replace my Hitman guns with something new...

They've been selling avatars for years. There are also a bunch of free ones you get for being a Plus member.

I can't believe people are just now finding all of this out.

JSoup

Banned
A lot of people in this thread don't seem to know how custom avatars work, which is understandable because it isn't really spelled out. ONLY people that have accepted your real name request will be able to see your custom avatar. Anyone that you come across online or any of your rando friends will see your old PS3 or basic PS4 avatar.

Custom avatars ONLY work with Close Friends.

This. Part of why your custom avatar defaults to your Facebook page photo if you have your accounts connected.

ahhahahahhahahhahahahahhahahhahahahahahah...

Now I get it when they said that PS4's revenue could potentially be higher than PS2 even if installed user bases are not matched. My goodness, Sony is really about that profit, these joke ones are horrible, but I did buy some nice game art for $1 on PS3 so, to each there own I guess....

Stay Classy Sony.

cyba89

It's been six years and those floodgates have not opened yet.

KanameYuuki

Finally, and I hope they add something to be able to find them and change them easily like a library, last time my PS3's HDD broke and it was a pain to try to find all the avatars, I had to look through the whole damn DL list.

Japan has some incredibile avatars. Like the Evangelion avatars. But they are region locked.

Anyway, finally!

I know right : ( I'm so jelly of their Madoka Magica ones.

Shenmue

Banned
Since I can put whatever picture I want on Facebook and use that as a profile picture doesn't that make this useless?

People need to stop just browsing the avatars, they're horrible. Search a favorite game, click on it, go to add-ons and find avatars from there.

Otherwise you'll spend hours going through all the trash just to find something decent.

Top Bottom