• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 & XOne owners - Give your 9 month review

PS4 - Everything just works. The OS has all the features I'll ever need and is incredibly fast and smooth. I wasn't even aware there was a start up sound till recently because the PS4 would boot up before my TV. The hardware is sleek and quiet. Some of the games already look like a huge jump up from my 360. The games have been good with Infamous Second Son the pick of the bunch. TLOU R is the best version of one of the best games ever made. Killzone SF is still the best looking game this gen. I'm also really excited about future games, notably the Order, Bloodbourne and Uncharted 4. Needless to say I play all my multiplats on PS4 because they're noticeably better. Negatives for me are the battery life of the controller and so far mediocre selection of PS+ games for the PS4. Overall grade A- very good with some minor flaws.

Xbox One - Very rocky start where it honestly felt like a beta product. Things have improved a lot recently with the OS getting a lot of features. The UI is still slow compared to the PS4 but it does more things for those that care about that stuff. Moving the streaming apps outside the Gold paywall has given my Xbox a lot of utility as a streaming box on my second TV. The TV and Kinect features are useless. The games have been good with Killer Instinct an amazing game that everybody must try (I'm not even a fighter fan). I wasn't interested in Titanfall at all and Ryse was very mediocre. Future releases that interest me are Sunset Overdrive (which looks amazing), Ori and the Blind Forest and Halo 5. Multiplats look noticeably inferior and I'm not paying for Live Gold so this will be my singleplayer exclusives box. The controller has much, much, much better battery life than the DS4 though the bumpers and the loose sticks make it feel worse than the DS4 and the Xbox 360 pad. The hardware itself is ugly and big but it is inaudibly quiet Overall grade C+ satisfactory.

TLDR - If I had to buy one console it would be the PS4. The hardware is superior, the games (past and announced future) are better (to me) and it looks very nice. There's nothing objectively bad about the Xbox One but it is noticeably worse at almost everything. Phil Spencer is doing a great job at moving things in the right direction so luckily for me I can afford both and am happy to own them.

Nocturno999

I have the PS4 and it's a machine with lots of potential. The controller design is amazing.
It needs more titles to distance itself from its competition, mainly the PC platform.
I'm waiting for price drop for TLOU since already played it and I'm cautiously pessimistic towards Destiny.
Metal Gear Solid on Steam was another blow to console gaming but consumers win.
There are rumors that Guilty Gear Xrd is coming to PC which is one of my most waited titles.

For people without a capable PC is a very competent system. Since I play on PC I mostly use my PS4 for PS Plus titles and recently the amazing P.T. demo which made me glad of having the console. B

XBO is an OK console with fun titles, but MS is its biggest drawback and more powerful hardware and long term exclusives from the competition. C-

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Anyone extremely pleased with what the Xbox One or PS4 has had to offer so far is either lying to themselves or does not own a proper gaming PC/has ignored what the PC has to offer...

Or *gasp* just prefers playing their videogames on consoles.

DocGaf

Neo Member
PS4- Nothing exclusive to it that I really play.
XBO- I've given up on running cable TV through the XBO. Running my cable TV through the XBO constantly causes issues. If I switch inputs on the TV i.e. switch to my HTPC then switch back to the input for the XBO the sound cuts out, the picture flashes to a blue screen, the video pauses or I get a message saying the XBO has lost connection to my cable box. Leaving the XBO connected and watching TV through it is generally fucked up and it is a worthless function.
Oh... and I'm on my second XBO. The first one died within a few months. I'd get the boot screen then it'd stop and go to a black screen and stay there.

Nephtes

Have both systems since launch.
Love both.

That said, using the Xbox One more.
It's become the center of my entertainment center with it's ability to do so much without needing to change inputs. Granted, the Kinect is hit or miss. Thank you media remote.

Wouldn't have needed to have a TV remote in the room at all since November except to change the input to the PS4 to play TLOU remastered.

Dont care about DLNA so it hasn't been an issue.

Both OS's could use work, Xbox less so since they've been patching so much. The PS4 seems quicker overall, but is lacking some stuff.

But I don't know, I rarely turn the PS4 on.
Many apologies GAF, I'm one of those Neanderthals that still watches TV...

Final Scores:
Xbox One: B+, variety of things to do, center of entertainment center, they keep improving things
PS4: C+ OS is limited but fast, TLOU Remastered is nice, but not so many reasons to switch inputs to it.

I would first like to preface this by saying I only have played and will be playing console exclusives, anything that is on PC I have been playing on PC.

PlayStation 4

The Box
  • The choice of a slant makes it harder to use the back I/O without looking.
  • The console looks nice from the front.
  • Only two USB ports isn't cool. One on the back or a third on the front would be good.
  • The buttons are sleek and fit will.
  • The ability to upgrade the HDD is also pretty cool.
The Controller
  • The way it just sits in my hands is pretty good. No issues with it.
  • The analog stick material is terrible
  • The triggers are too small and sometimes can get squeaky.
  • The bumpers are too small for my tastes.
  • The Options and Share buttons are very well placed and are shaped in a way that makes them feel good to press.
  • The touchpad is a nice addition that should be utilized as a cursor in some games.
  • The 3.5 mm jack on the bottom is awesome.
  • Battery life is extremely poor.
The OS
  • Quick and easy once you figure it out.
  • Lacking in features (folders, background colors, etc)
  • The PS Store layout is terrible.
  • Not being able to suspend & resume is a bad thing and annoys me sometimes.
  • Remote play is amazing.
  • Clip recording and screenshot taking is excellent and very cool.
  • Can't change name.
  • PSN is very slow, even over Ethernet.
The Games
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall - Disappointing coming from KZ2 and KZ3. The graphics are pretty good but that is about it. Not a fan.
  • inFamous: Second Son - Didn't really like this game at all. The graphics were once again excellent. Photomode was cool
  • The Last of Us Remastered - Nice port of a PS3 game I enjoyed. Photomode and the added IQ were great.
  • Resogun - Fun little game. Challenging and replayable.
  • MGSV: Ground Zeroes - Runs great and looks good enough, though it could use some improvements. Touchpad to pause was bad.
  • The upcoming exclusive games (Bloodborne, Ratchet & Clank, The Order: 1886, Uncharted 4, etc) interest me.
  • Sony throwing indies and F2P games into the PS+ free games is disappointing and I really dislike it as I don't feel I am getting as much value as I did on PS3.
Xbox One

The Box
  • The VCR-like design does not bother me. I think it looks nice.
  • The lack of front USB ports (one of the side and some on the back) was a bad choice. I do like the back ports though.
  • The power brick isn't good but at least it looks nice and fits with the console.
  • Not being able to upgrade the HDD sucks. USB storage support is nice but does not make up for it.
  • The Kinect looks nice and fits well.
  • The Kinect controls my cable box, television, speakers, and the console itself. I really like how it can turn everything off at once as well.
The Controller
  • The way it just sits in my hands is pretty good. No issues with it.
  • The analog sticks are perfect.
  • The triggers are perfect. The rumble in them is not.
  • The bumpers are perfect.
  • The View and Menu buttons are too small and sometimes don't register properly.
  • Dpad feels nice.
  • The proprietary mic connector is bad. Having to buy an adapter sucks.
  • Battery life is MUCH better.
The OS
  • Quick and easy once you figure it out.
  • Has a decent amount of features, though it is missing some big ones.
  • The store layout is pretty good, but not perfect.
  • Snap is pretty much useless. It should have been 50/50, not 75/15.
  • TV input is incredibly cool and works well, though DVR is missing.
  • Suspend & resume is amazing.
  • Voice commands work 99% of the time and they're awesome.
  • Clip recording and screenshot taking is considerably worse than the PS4.
  • Game install times are very long.
The Games
  • Ryse: Son of Rome - Graphics are excellent (even for under 1080) and I enjoyed the game itself.
  • Forza 5 - Not very into serious racing games (Horizon is what I like). Was fun and ran well.
  • Killer Instinct - Not my type of game. Being free and all is nice though. Graphically it is pretty good, though noticeably sub 1080.
  • The upcoming exclusive games (Forza Horizon, Halo TMCC, Halo 5, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, etc) interest me.
  • Games with Gold seems to have been pretty good so far (haven't gotten around to playing any of the games yet), though it suffers largely from the same issue PS+ has.

Summary
  • PlayStation 4 - 3/5
  • Xbox One - 3/5
The potential for both is there and I think they're both going to become great systems in the next couple of years, but at the current point in time I do not think either are worth the money. I am, however, completely comfortable with recommending either of them to somebody who plays console games primarily; if you're like me and play only exclusives though, I would hold off for a bit.

Side notes
  • Xbox One isn't worth it without Kinect. It is a large part of the experience.
  • Titanfall isn't exclusive to Xbox One and I hate when people make it sound like it is.
  • Variable framerate is trash.

REV 09

XB1
Like: frequency of updates to the ui, pvz, ryse, forza 5, ki, media functionality, controller, console unit, games w/ gold, pinning favorite apps to the dash, how it can turn on/off my entire entertainment system in unison, it's fall lineup.
Dislike: official headset (it hurts my ear), controller build quality (both of mine have minor issues), weaker 3rd party performance, titanfall, flubbing the whole Kinect thing, install sizes, party integration.

ps4
Like: 1080p support for most titles, generally strong 3rd party performance (still have a pc), ps+ games, controller (huge improvement), console unit, Infamous, TLOU (mainly for story), Destiny alpha/beta, ability to use any standard headphones, ability to use headphones for sound through the controller,
Dislike: Killzone, official headset (wtf is that), the UI...its kinda terrible, it sucking as a media device, not being able to change psn name, it's fall lineup

Dosia

Xbox one owner. I pretty much never play it. Played Titanfall for a couple weeks and got bored. Honestly all I really care about is Gears of War and that is a way off. I prob should have held off on purchasing.

Vestax

Banned
PS4- Nothing exclusive to it that I really play.
XBO- I've given up on running cable TV through the XBO. Running my cable TV through the XBO constantly causes issues. If I switch inputs on the TV i.e. switch to my HTPC then switch back to the input for the XBO the sound cuts out, the picture flashes to a blue screen, the video pauses or I get a message saying the XBO has lost connection to my cable box. Leaving the XBO connected and watching TV through it is generally fucked up and it is a worthless function.
Oh... and I'm on my second XBO. The first one died within a few months. I'd get the boot screen then it'd stop and go to a black screen and stay there.

I was highly disappointed with he Live TV performance on my XB1. The biggest one being that it degrades the picture quality when I had my UVerse box hooked to it. Apparently, the only fix is to set the receiver at 720p instead of 1080i. I still don't get this. Also, its a downer that the XB1 has to be on at all time for the pass-through HDMI to work...seriously? The ONEGuide is also buggy as hell. It would actually be killer, if it didn't have these major issues.

I will give a brief explanation.

PS4: I really like the DS4 and some of the exclusives look great. I really do not like PSN and the "other" things that the console does. This is definitely a game machine and while there are a ton of games to play, the ones I want to play are not here yet.

Xbox One: I like the Controller as well. The games on there are fine, Sonys exclusives so far are better, once MCC and Sunset Overdive release that will probably change. I like the UI and "other" things this console does, and it really is an all in one type box.

KingJ2002

PS4

Games

• Selection not as broad as originally advertised at launch due to delays. Bought Killzone: SF, Assassins Creed IV, Call Of Duty: Ghosts, Knack, NBA 2K14 & Resogun and still felt my purchases were lacking in variety.
  • Visual boosts impress in some titles but vary and still have an enhanced port feel
  • Still looking for titles that provide new ways to play but upcoming lineup is exciting from a art perspective.
  • Online play is OK... no one communicates online compared to xbox live

Console

• Love the controller. Touch pad can be awkward at times but love the feel... one of the best controllers i've used.
  • Hate the homepage social feed. Information is not digestible and looks like a vomit of info.
  • PlayStation Store should feel more native to the system OS rather than a static landing page from the browser. I wish everyday it could be redone
  • Love the game tiles and how you can scroll to get more information but wish there was a better way to organize the games and apps.
  • Didn't know the system came with headphones until someone told me. Wish Sony advertised the pack in headphones better (Glad i don't throw away the boxes anymore)

I transitioned from Xbox 360 to PS4 this gen and I gotta say it's been sort of rough on the online front. I assume sony will get better but there are times I think about investing in a xbox one just for the online experience.

Nephtes

[*]Online play is OK... no one communicates online compared to xbox live

Same situation on the Xbox One and PS4 at the moment. I don't think many of the people that talk ad nauseam on online games have bought into the new generation yet.

(IMHO: mostly because most of those people that do the chatting are 9 and mommy and daddy haven't gotten around to having Christmas 2014 yet...) ^_^

Smokey

This thread is all kinds of weird...all the negativity towards the xb1 and a large portion of those who own both ps4 and xb1 are using and enjoying the xb1 more. Just surprised me is all.

I have an Xb1 from launch and have been playing a few games. Started with Forza and Battlefield...left battlefield with its issues and played a lot of pvz. Recently a lot of Titanfall and going back to battlefield (especially air warfare) now that it's working and a lot, lot of destiny beta.

OS updates are going really well and by the end of the year it should have everything i was missing. Hopefully the Plex app comes out soon because that would mean only my xbox will be connected to my tv. Hopefully also they come out with a tv dongle for the US.

Controller is much better than 360 and grows on you a lot

That's because most of the people simply do drive-by posts or have never used the system because M$

Quite annoying.

JCX

PS4

Pros:

- Solid visual leap over PS3
- UI is fantastic. Everything flows so smoothly
- Aesthetically much better than the george foreman.
- inFamous SS was good
- Destiny alpha/beta were very fun. If not for these, I probably would have ignored the game and not played much else on PS4 the whole year.

Cons
- Typical new console game drought
- PS+ titles are nice, but none of the indie games really do anything for me
- light bar still can't be turned off entirely afaik
- Nothing much of interst on the horizon for me other than No Man's Sky

Overall, PS4 isn't really worth it yet for many people other than video game enthusiasts.

If you think PS4 has undelivered for you OP and your playing Last of Us and Tomb Raider, imagine how much it has for people like me who already played it them.
I finished Killzone (meh, worst Killzone), infamous (not bad.jpg) and Battlefield 4 (could've played it elsewhere, but I got it cheap though to play through campaign, planning to resell it). That's it.

Xbox One has been similar. Finished Dead Rising (pretty great) and Forza 5 (okay, 4 is still the best) and Rype (thought was awful, game play wise).

Both seem to have games I want to play on the horizon, but there is still a huge gap between them. I think Xbox One will get the most use in the closest future with Sunset, Halo Collection, Forza Horizon 1. I'm thinking of getting Destiny on X1 for better online connectivity and Evil Within on PS4 because I have always played Mikami/ RE games on Playstation.

All that said I'm not complaining about my decision for early adoption, I knew it would be like this, but still a very heavy drought of games.

Shadybiz

Very happy with my PS4. It's basically just a Battlefield 4/War Thunder machine for me right now, but even so, it has provided me with many hours of entertainment with friends. I really dig the DS4, and the Share function seems to work pretty well, too.

Apath

I have issues with PS4's interface and lack of exclusives that have interested me thus far, but overall I am very happy with the purchase.

Just finished The Last of Us campaign, and will start trophy hunting and multiplayer soon, which should last me until Journey PS4. So despite playing PS3 ports, I am being well occupied during the "drought" we're enduring.

My experience with PS4: It still ain't got no games. I have barely turned it on in the last few months. All of the PS+ offerings have been mediocre. The fact that we got Strider, after I bought it, has just shown me that I need to stop buying PS4 arcade style games for the foreseeable future.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
PS4:

+Hardware is impeccable.
- I don't see how you release a console and have such a barren first year in terms of high quality flagship first party titles. Developers have had their hands on the thing for a few years now. There really isn't any content at the moment that I am interested in that I can't play on my PC. It has been put back into it's box.

PS4 owner and the console still has to live up to its potential. Loved Infamous and Watch Dogs but there just aren't enough meaty experiences on it yet.

2015 would be a great time to buy one though.

Quasar

I've been enjoying the Plus library each month. Plus other digital only titles, but really my PS4 has not see a lot of use. But then again my game playing has been way down this year. I think the only game I finished has been Wolf Among Us.

I think I'm suffering from game burnout.

spencman

Banned
Really happy with my MS ecosystem.
Got a Surface RT, Lumia 1520, an 8.1 notebook and an Xbox One. All together it's working like a charm. Simply OneDrive, using all these devices together, is worth getting the systems.
Using Xbox music, smartglass and so on is a pretty good experience.

Happy to see MS under pressure, so it is getting improvements month for month.

Just kinect should get more usage by developers.
But actually I'm pretty happy with it's possibilities.
Hope to see more coming soon.

njean777

Xbox one- 8/10
PS4- 9/10

This fall will be great for both consoles, but most of the games I am buying and will probably spending the most time playing are on ps4.

I think PS4 wise, I think the OP pretty much said everything I probably would have to say about the PS4 so far.

Granted, OS seems a bit smooth, but blatantly obvious of when the OS design will be a hindrance based on how titles are lined up in a straight line (Not sure when this is ever a good design unless you just don't buy many games at all).

Haven't made use of online features mainly because my priorities do not lie in that area, so I can't really say anything about it.

jim2011

Xbox One 8/10
PS4 5/10

I see where Microsoft's "one input" initiative came from. I don't ever want to switch off it now. Despite the reviews, Ryse was my favorite game so far this gen. Dead Rising 3 is in 2nd. Titanfall in 3rd.

PS4 is in a distant 3rd for consoles this gen. Mario Kart redeems Wii U for 2nd. Loved Tomb Raider and Infamous Second Son was pretty great. That is it. Seriously. That is it. Every other 3rd party game I played for XB1 and enjoyed. Killzone was a BIG disappointment.

Microsoft is delivering the games I want to play, Sony is not. I will say that Uncharted 4 and Halo 5 are my most anticipated games. I'm looking forward to that battle.

Bishop89

Ps4

+ Hardware is great
+ Great looking games
+ Streaming and stuff is amazing
+System software is amazing, get into anything almost instantly. NO waiting a full minute to get into the store like the ps3.

- Controller battery
-Too many cross-gen games still
-Not really anyones fault, but ps+ has just been 'ok'. System needs to be out a while before we can get some big games for it.

That's because most of the people simply do drive-by posts or have never used the system because M$

Quite annoying.
Yeah I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the positiveness toward the X1 in this thread. Was fully expecting the usual outspoken responses of how it's a terrible system and underwhelming. I have neither console yet
playing the heck out of my wii u and 3ds though
, but can hardly wait for TMCC this Fall. Ready to get my killtack on.

Have both, Haven't used either of them anywhere as much as i thought i would.

X1:

Like:
- Frequent UI/feature updates. They have for the most part fixed what needed to be fixed and added what needed to be added in at launch and for the last few months have been adding features above and beyond what you would expect at launch.
- Forza 5, Plants vs. Zombies GW. These are the two games that have kept me going on the X1.

Neutral:
- Enjoyed Ryse as well but done with it after a week.
- Games with Gold was needed for XB1 but isn't offering anything flasher then PS4 is.
- Headset is acceptable but would love to replace it with a proper one.

Dislike:
- Lack of games after launch window.
- How long it takes to install games
- Lack of media/dlna support (which is finally changing i know)

PS4

Like:
- Destiny Alpha + Beta. Well done for keeping the servers up.
- DS4 is a massive improvement over DS3. DS3 was what kept me from playing the PS3 with any multiplats being played on PC/360. Now i am happy enough to get multiplats on any platform.

Neutral:
- Infamous SS. Not the killer game it was supposed to be - after 3 days i was done with it. Enjoyed my time with it but 3 days and the PS4 wasn't turned on again till the Destiny Alpha.
- Killzone SF. Average single player eyecandy with bad MP. Took it back after a week. Again, enjoyed my time with it but i was done after a week.
- TLOU. Love the game but i played this less then a year ago and i am forking over another $65 AU for the privilege of playing it on slightly better hardware. Only sightly regretting it - probably will trade in after a few weeks.
- UI. Nice, quick and clean but so frustrating if i want to play something i haven't played in a while and have to scroll ALL the way back.

Bad:
- Lack of titles even at launch. Resogun was probably my most played launch game and even that was only for 10-12 hours. Game drought continues to this day.
- Complete lack of UI updates. The fact that 9 months out we are still joking about when suspend/resume will come is utterly ridiculous.
- Lack of Media Support - Surely with X1 getting DLNA support Sony has to pull their finger out and kick it out of the door by the end of the year.
- Still not getting anywhere near the download speeds or connection stability on my PS4 over wi-fi (even wired) when compared to the X1 which is right next to it. Disappointing, especially so since i am now paying to play online on PS4.

Overall:

X1: 3.5/5
This score will likely increase come the 12 months since release due to Horizon 2, DLNA+Media support, Sunset Overdrive and Master Chief Collection.

PS4: 3/5
The PS4 is going to be getting some more use very soon with Destiny but other then that i will give the free PS+ Driveclub a whirl and thats about it. Score may increase.

In terms of non-exclusives, this is likely what i am getting before end of year:

X1: AC Unity.
PS4: Destiny.
PC: Dragon Age Inquisition, GTAV, The Crew.

SlinkyFriend

Neo Member
Got the xbox at lunch, have only been able to play in short periods (New job/girlfriend). Only had one gaming marathon (Ryse) beat it in a night. Overall good experience, no issues except when live was down and I updated my console and couldn't play. Scares me a bit because I don't get much time to play and I couldn't when I had the chance.

Games are good, getting/have all the exclusives, have a good PC, play both equally.

When you get your xbox set up for entertainment and sync everything, it's pretty sweet. Kinect works good for me, and I like it. Looking forward to all future games.

Won't get a ps4, got no time, commited to Xbox one because I commited to xbox 360 and I'm not disappointed, very happy. Play my roommates ps4 when he actually buys an exclusive (hardly ever does)

Like the free games in ps4, and the fast UI, can't judge because I barely played it.

Also note, xbox is better when you buy your games digitally.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Got the xbox at lunch, have only been able to play in short periods (New job/girlfriend). Only had one gaming marathon (Ryse) beat it in a night. Overall good experience, no issues except when live was down and I updated my console and couldn't play. Scares me a bit because I don't get much time to play and I couldn't when I had the chance.

Games are good, getting/have all the exclusives, have a good PC, play both equally.

When you get your xbox set up for entertainment and sync everything, it's pretty sweet. Kinect works good for me, and I like it. Looking forward to all future games.

Won't get a ps4, got no time, commited to Xbox one because I commited to xbox 360 and I'm not disappointed, very happy. Play my roommates ps4 when he actually buys an exclusive (hardly ever does)

Like the free games in ps4, and the fast UI, can't judge because I barely played it.

Also note, xbox is better when you buy your games digitally.

How so?

jtar86

Have both systems, both haven't blown me away yet but thats par for the course when buying consoles at launch. I think the Xbone is definitely going to look better in the coming months with FH2, MCC, and Sunset Overdrive. Ps4 looks to have a nice 1st quarter so I think by next summer both systems will have improved there vaule significantly. The thing that bothers me the most though is how ps4 doesn't have a youtube or twitch app. How the hell have they not gotten those yet, it's crazy.

Xbone has been collecting dust becuase the 3rd party games run better on ps4 so far. Really dissapointed that they abandoned their vison which really was the most exciting and risky thing about the console.

Now to me its just an underpowered ps4. Really like the UI and build quality.

Ps4 getting a lot of use but system has an odour of cheapness. Controllers die fast. Build doesnt feel solid. Updates are slow.

Getting play due to superior 3rd party performance.

Recently got a 780ti so to be honest graphics on both cosoles looks unimpressive in comparison.

SlinkyFriend

Neo Member

Since the xbox is pretty quick at switching between apps and games and movies and tv, having to get up and put a game in makes it feel like you have a hiccup in that full circle of entertainment. I do like having a physical copy, but I tend to play titanfall more so than battlefield because it's more convenient. I'll give you an example, my girlfriend and I are watching a movie we rented on the xbox store, (alien) it finishes, she kisses me goodnight and goes to bed. I stay sitting on the couch and switch over to titanfall easily without getting up or even touching the controller, because I wanted to play a quick game. Simple as that, and convenient because it's late. It comes off lazy, but it feels more normal now than getting up and going to put a game in. Like listening to tunes on your iPod, or reading the news on your phone, you don't have to find the CD or get the newspaper. It's the new norm.

Note: I wasn't comparing it to the ps4, if you thought that's what I meant. I don't know if digital games are better on Xbox than ps4.

Playstation 4

Console
  • Literally plug and play - you can get to playing immediately after you buy it
  • Startup is quick which is a big plus point
  • Controller is heavier than DS3 which is nice
  • The rubber on the head of the sticks feel like they will peel off after a lot of abuse.
  • The triggers are better than DS3s and more Xbox like, but still don't feel very solid
  • Their update downloading system is excellent, you can play while downloading a patch to a game
  • Their console updating system is also excellent - same as above, you can play while downloading a new firmware.
  • Their worldwide support is excellent, so happy they released locally in my country (Philippines) at a fair price too.
  • Still ridiculous that my "country" in PSN has to be either "Hong Kong" or "USA", no PSN for my specific country. Why do they have to do this?
  • Playstation Store - At first I was ok with it, it's generally functional but when you also have an Xbox One, you end up comparing it, and after comparing, PSN's store is pretty weak in terms of navigation and design
  • Game videos on PSN are ridiculously slow to download. At first I thought it was my connection, but then when i got an Xbox One i realized it must be a Sony server issue....game videos are so slow to play back

Games
  • Multiplats like Assassins Creed Black Flag and Need for Speed Rivals are beautiful on this console
  • Online play was a bit laggy on Battlefield 4 but I don't know if that's the fault of PSN or EA
  • Infamous Second Son was a great game and really pretty. But ran out of reasons to play it again
  • Didn't get Killzone. Just seemed so generic from previews/screens.
  • It feels like there are not much exclusives for it. While there are a lot announced, they are a long ways off from today. DriveClub should have come out earlier but it didn't....oh well, might as well wait a month more.
  • Destiny sounds like a good idea on PS4 due to all the exclusive content, but i got disconnected a LOT during the beta. It's a toss up whether I'm getting that on PS4 or Xbox One.

Xbox One

Console
  • Ridiculous that you can't use it without a day one update.
  • Game patches are gigantic and you can't queue them and keep playing like the way it works on PS4.
  • I didn't get the Kinect version so i can't review it. But generally the console is usable. At first you'll feel a bit lost since you have to go around every option to find what you need, but you get used to it eventually
  • Love all the entertainment stuff on the dashboard. Youtube is so good on the HDTV and for some reason this console streams it so fast. I can't explain it.
  • Same goes with Xbox Live hosted game videos - they stream so quickly and seamlessly. So when they put tons of game videos on the dashboard it's always a treat. Fun to turn on the console to see some game videos right there to watch
  • Nice of Xbox to curate user content via their UPLOAD channel. Really great tool that makes gaming feel more social
  • Game controller is very comfortable in the hand. Solid feeling and the sticks don't feel like they will break down after a lot of abuse. Rumbling triggers are a Godsend for racing games.
  • Xbox Live Store blows away PSN's store by ten thousand miles. Just easier to navigate, and more content to browse through. Also great that they create content (like a gaming website) with a host that talks about games, etc....very fun to just turn on the console and watch their stuff
  • "Xbox Live Events" on the console is awesome. If you're late for an event, you can rewind and watch from the beginning, even while it is streaming live! Like magic!
  • Game installations take long but not that much longer than Playstation installations. For anyone considering an Xbox One, install a game offline first before playing it on Live to avoid really really slow install times. Granted, a user does not have to do this when they first buy a game, so this is a minus point against Xbox One.
  • Love the HDTV calibrator in the settings - it really makes the picture better. Black colors can seem too black but this settings feature does help fix it.
  • No local support in my country and this system isn't officially released here....so no warranty and the games are not as cheap as PS4 games. Hard to find used games for it at this time, too.

Games
  • Dead Rising 3 - solid 9/10 for me in just sheer carnage. Graphics are a 7 but the level of carnage justifies it a bit.
  • Forza 5 - If you play racing games you could probably play this game forever. Just so much content. I wish they didn't DLC the other cars though; that's a big minus point against the game. But other wise, this game controls great and that's what sells it for me.
  • Killer Instinct - Fantastic game but so hard to find a match online, maybe due to my location.
  • Ryse - Great showcase of the console, i didn't know it wasn't 1080p before but in retrospect it doesn't seem to matter.

Overall score:

PS4 - 7/10. Great build but lacking in exclusive games. PSN is functional but if you have used Xbox Live's store, it will make PSN feel lacking in terms of presentation and content. PS4 is largely the promise of great, graphically competitive content coming in the future. Just waiting for that content to arrive is a little....tiring. I want to use the PS4 more, but while there are few games that interest me, it's just gathering so much dust right now.

Xbox One - 8/10. Requiring users to have so many updates before playing is not a good thing. Once you do finish downloading (of course depending on your internet speed), the console really works well. I actually picked up the PS4 first. When I got the Xbox One it felt like i was drowning in games, just so many available in various genres, too. I'm enjoying using this as a general 'gamer entertainment' box---can watch game previews and Youtube vids so easily. Of course it happens to play games too.

Top Bottom