• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's Automatic RGB setting is unreliable, so double check your TV / PS4

Samsung UE46D8000

Edit: I only see; Black Tone 1.dark 2.darker 3.darkest? Is this it?

yea i was just looking at your manual and I think that's it. oops, Mr Moose is right.

what you should do is open up that black level picture on your PS4 and change those settings until you can see the entire spectrum.

be sure to set the PS4 to Full of course ;)

Ok, to everyone using PC mode with their Samsung/PS4 combo, I'm I supposed to crank the Brightness up from the default 45 I'm getting? Because I'm using the black squares picture posted here to calibrate and holy crap, I can't see shit.

Mr Moose

I see that option but I cant select it....Should my PS4 be on?

Yeah, but it might auto-set it for you (to normal) and not let you change it. As long as it's set to normal you should be fine :)

Ok, to everyone using PC mode with their Samsung/PS4 combo, I'm I supposed to crank the Brightness up from the default 45 I'm getting? Because I'm using the black squares picture posted here to calibrate and holy crap, I can't see shit.

Is your HDMI Black Level set to Normal or Low?

Cyborg

HDMI Black Level is on my TV normal.... but my blacktone is off. I can choose from dark, darker and darkest

you shouldn't need to use any sliders to get the set to display Full RGB. it's a separate toggle

HDMI Black Level is on my TV normal.... but my blacktone is off. I can choose from dark, darker and darkest

leave the BlackTone alone and change the "HDMI Black Level"

what settings are there for that?

ViciousDS

Banned
this is my monitor

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B17C5KO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

anyone have any clue how I can get full on it?

I ran standard image settings and see all the squares including the lowest at 1 & 2. However other tests show anything below 16 meshing....I'm not exactly sure. Is turning the brightness up to see the other blocks a bad method if I can't see the other squares because its way to dark?

The only video setting I saw was sRGB and it darkens the image and gives it that weird washy look. Other than that I couldn't find anything that said Full, Normal, Limited or Low in the options menu....which is pretty small. I can manually adjust RGB from each color though individually without going into a secret menu, which is nice.

Yeah, but it might auto-set it for you (to normal) and not let you change it. As long as it's set to normal you should be fine :)

Is your HDMI Black Level set to Normal or Low?

PS4: Full
Samsung TV: Normal

The entire picture looks black. I can't see any individual squares like at all.

Thanks for your settings. I have an LG lm660 so will see whether I should adjust my calibration. I've just been using a custom calibration of the game setting, but you really noticed less input lag playing Tekken with the HDMI labeled to PC?

Also, is 16:9 in PC mode just like Just Scan in the others?
My question too about 16:9

Kamina

Golden Boy
Good thing i had both the TV and the PS4 set to full from the start on.
Thanks for the information though.

Metfanant

You guys also need to remember that RGD Full/Limited is not some magic switch, cure all calibration setting...

You have to properly calibrate everything from contrast/brightness/color/gamma/etc...

Once you get your PS4 and TV on the right track (matching settings)...then you need to properly calibrate everything else...as its likely the rest of your settings are likely off...

Manac0r

Does ambient lighting play a big part in this black test? I switched to a Dell U3011 last night and obviously set the PS4 to full and could see all the black squares no problem. This morning I tried it again and found it hard to make out the first 3 squares... The room was brighter this morning obviously.

I need to get back to D3 and First Light, and stop calibrating...

Does ambient lighting play a big part in this black test? I switched to a Dell U3011 last night and obviously set the PS4 to full and could see all the black squares no problem. This morning I tried it again and found it hard to make out the first 3 squares... The room was brighter this morning obviously.

I need to get back to D3 and First Light, and stop calibrating...

Ambient light has everything to do with crushed blacks or not. That is why you should save a setting for both day and night.

Ambient light has everything to do with crushed blacks or not. That is why you should save a setting for both day and night.

I would leave the TV and PS4 settings alone after calibration and just use the in-game gamma adjustment for daylight situations. much easier.

Beefy

I have PS4 full, Samsung full. I turned the hdmi to pc, with that I went back into picture settings and changed it from standard to entertain.

Make sure the PS4 is not set to Limited RGB mode in the settings menu's.

On my samsung if I choose limited RGB with normal, it throws the blacks into disarray.

low with limited is not as bad, but still pretty badly crushed blacks all over. Normal / Full is what mine has to be

Jomjom

Banned
Oh yeah if I crank my brightness up even to just 60% I can easily see every box, but it gets crazy washed out to me. At 54 I can just barely if I squint really hard make out the existence of the first two boxes. I guess I might go back to 52 if I'm not supposed to really see them, had it that way since I got my tv it seemed perfect when I was testing it in games.

And yeah I keep all that other junk off. I like as natural an image as possible. Most games I play that have a gamma/brightness image to scale to, I find its already just about perfect on the default setting.

Being able to see them just means your TV supports Full RGB. If you want to see the opposite you can try leaving your ps4 at full and change the TV to limited. Chances are the top two rows will completely melt into the background even if you set brightness to 100.

Now that you've ascertained that your tv supports it you can either get an ISF calibration, calibration disc, or some pluge patterns (images to calibrate your settings). Most people just use the disc, but the most accurate would be to source full rgb images from a PC with no ICC profile set, delivering the image in the raw 0-255 rgb signal. This is what ISF calibrators do, they don't use calibration discs as bluray are all mastered in YCC and therefore need to be converted to RGB before displaying on your TV.

I have PS4 full, Samsung full. I turned the hdmi to pc, with that I went back into picture settings and changed it from standard to entertain.

Entertain looks really, really dark. Standard seems a bit fine but I don't know. I have to crank the brightness up but then everything looks kinda washed out. I might get back to Movie, which I don't like either but I hate LED dimming on the other modes.

Beefy

Entertain looks really, really dark. Standard seems a bit fine but I don't know. I have to crank the brightness up but then everything looks kinda washed out. I might get back to Movie, which I don't like either but I hate LED dimming on the other modes.

Weird my entertain is bright.
Backlight: 20
Contrast:100
Brightness: 65
Sharpness: 50

SZips

Seriously? what manual settings are you comparing it to? PC input gives you the cleanest unprocessed image...

I'm comparing it to this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127384379&postcount=252

When I switched the image looked like it was given a healthy dose of extra contrast and added darkness and not at all to good effect. And I don't know if it's because of the "Entertain" setting that PC mode defaults to or what. I had to crank my brightness up considerably to see again, which in turn helped to calm the issue with the darkness a bit (just like the replies above me seem to be mentioning as well). Once I did that it didn't look terrible but I don't think I prefer it to the settings I linked above.

Weird my entertain is bright.
Backlight: 20
Contrast:100
Brightness: 65
Sharpness: 50

Holy cow, if I did that on my sets....

hqdefault_zps7e8083dd.jpg

Yup the automatic setting has been like this forever.

Here's a easy way to check if your TV supports full and if your setting on the PS4 is correct.

View the below image in the PS4 browser. If your TV supports RGB full you'll be able to see the upper left most square very faintly. If it doesn't support it or if your settings are wrong, you likely won't see most of the top row. Toggle the RGB setting from limited and full and you'll see the difference in the image. If your TV doesn't support Full RGB, you just won't be able to see the top row of squares because the blacks used are blacker than the range RGB Limited can support.

fullrgb_test.jpg

Well I was going to get a Wii U but that image (which is fine on my ancient monitor but cannot see any of the top row on not as old HDTV) has just shown me I really need a new TV to play games on. Thanks for posting it.

Beefy

I'm comparing it to this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127384379&postcount=252

When I switched the image looked like it was given a healthy dose of extra contrast and added darkness and not at all to good effect. And I don't know if it's because of the "Entertain" setting that PC mode defaults to or what. I had to crank my brightness up considerably to see again, which in turn helped to calm the issue with the darkness a bit (just like the replies above me seem to be mentioning as well). Once I did that it didn't look terrible but I don't think I prefer it to the settings I linked above.

Just tried it with the settings you said, it does look crisper then having it set to PC.

This is my TV: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCGRLUI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any recommendations on settings, both for the TV and PS4? I'm trying to find a good balance specifically to the blacks: if I just set everything to Full than it gets a bit too dark. I want good solid blacks but I don't want to lose detail either.

if you want more in depth info on your display I suggest heading over to AVS Fourms and seeing what other people are doing with the same model. you'll probably find a thread specific to your display and others that have already fine tuned each setting.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread.html

over 7000 posts on that model alone ;)

I may be slightly autistic, but i'm always surprised and get somewhat frustrated when people don't bother to calibrate their shit correctly. Am i the only one that actually enjoy doing that? When you buy a new display or other piece of hardware you need to sit down and work your way through the menus just to see what it offers in terms of settings etc. You don't leave it on "automatic" or use some predefined settings.

tumblr_msmpbleBzj1qedb29o1_500.gif

This is why I made this thread. And this is why I encourage you guys to do a quick take if you're ever at a buddies house and help him or her out if you notice something grossly wrong with their PS4 / TV settings.

Somebody goes out and gets a 400 dollar ps4, a 60 dollar game, a 1,000 dollar hdtv, and their shit looks fucked up because their RGB settings aren't matching up. And in truth, it's something that can be fixed in a minute.

Remember guys, sometimes different tv manufacturers call their RGB range different things, black level low/normal is another one. Get your TV model and google that shit. Or call the manufacturer's support line and ask them what in their settings relates to RGB range output. It's worth the hassle.

Also, anyone figure out why the PS4 automatically detects settings properly with certain TV's but not others?

You guys also need to remember that RGD Full/Limited is not some magic switch, cure all calibration setting...

You have to properly calibrate everything from contrast/brightness/color/gamma/etc...

Once you get your PS4 and TV on the right track (matching settings)...then you need to properly calibrate everything else...as its likely the rest of your settings are likely off...

This is true. Just know that if your PS4 and TV are matching properly in RGB range settings, everything else that may seem off is merely a consequence of improperly calibrated brightness / contrast.

So, if you're on Full to Full, and you think the image is dark - it's not that you have crushed blacks, because you're settings are matching. It's merely because your brightness is too low.

Ultimately, I always mess around with my console settings and my TV settings for at least a good two hours when I first make these purchases. And I'm glad this thread got people looking into their shit.

I also hope Sony can figure out why it's auto settings are sometimes working and sometimes not working for different people.

jaosobno

Happy to report that my Sony KDL-42W706 supports full range.

Finally found the option under SEN->Settings->Display settings->Video input settings->dynamic range.

I've tested it with calibration image provided on first page and I only had trouble seeing first two squares. Resolved this by raising brightness from 50 (game mode default setting) to 52. Now I can tell apart each square. Picture looks breathtaking in Killzone (which is one incredible looking game).

Thank you OP and many thanks to everyone who helped me find dynamic range setting.

So just found the just scan setting, how did I not know of this before, all them years of not seeing the whole picture :(

I'm going to go through this whole thread and see what else I've been doing wrong in the hd era!

Great thread, I don't have a PS4, but I had to do this for PS3 when I got it last year. My Vizio has no setting for RGB mode, so I assume it's limitied, setting my PS3 to limited made the picture look better to my eyes.

Marco1

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.
Full RGB setting on PS4 is to be used only when the PS4 is connected to a monitor or the PC/DVI setting on your TV.
If you are connected to a TV through HDMI then your TV should be normal black level and PS4 limited setting. Not PS4 full and TV normal.
Don't crush blacks and try to compensate by raising the brightness.

SOLDIER

if you want more in depth info on your display I suggest heading over to AVS Fourms and seeing what other people are doing with the same model. you'll probably find a thread specific to your display and others that have already fine tuned each setting.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread.html

over 7000 posts on that model alone ;)

I'm trying to find the settings in that thread, but none of the links are actually pointing to the posts with TV settings. I can't find any.

Isn't it all subjective anyway? A lot of avs users tend not to post settings that would be beneficial to gaming, other than using game mode (which I'm not a fan of, even if it does reduce lag).

Again, the thing I'm struggling the most with is achieving blacks that don't hide detail or outright make things too dark to play comfortably. There are numerous black-level settings on the TV alone.

jaosobno

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.
Full RGB setting on PS4 is to be used only when the PS4 is connected to a monitor or the PC/DVI setting on your TV.
If you are connected to a TV through HDMI then your TV should be normal black level and PS4 limited setting. Not PS4 full and TV normal.
Don't crush blacks and try to compensate by raising the brightness.

Most newer TV sets in medium and high tier support full RGB. You are talking about something that was true few years ago.

I have everything set to full and have absolutely no black crush. Blacks are perfect and colors are perfectly vivid.

Top Bottom