• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's Automatic RGB setting is unreliable, so double check your TV / PS4

If you have a Samsung LED, go to settings, then change the input label of the HDMI input you're using to "PC", you'll see the screen flicker for a second, and when it comes back, prepare to see the purest, rawest, bestest, perfectest image, crystal clear HD. I can't go back to normal TV now.

You're welcome!

I really don't get this. I have a Samsung D7000 and always play games in game mode which disables the majority of post processing effects on the tv. So you are saying if I change the input name to "PC" it will give a even better picture? I don't see how tbh as it looks great as it is. I don't think there is a PC label anyway as it's only on the DVI//HDMI input of this tv and my computer is connected to that one.

I thought this was known. Huh. I noticed this the night I got the system. Set my TV and PS4 to Full RGB and haven't had any issues.

You should probably be using Limited-limited playing on a TV. However its more important that they are matched, so you should be okay.

GRaider81

I cant find rgb settings on my bravia. Everything looks great though.

What should I be looking for to tell if they aren't matched?

SeanTSC

I have been using my lg set for almost 2 years now and when i got it i have went through houndreds of pages about my specific model on avforums and i clearly remember that the black level on lg sets is the setting for rgb range. simple google search : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...high-low-black-level-settings-pc-console.html
Another info about color gamut setting on lg sets - nothing to do with the rgb range : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...6-question-about-color-gamut-setting-lgs.html

Okay well the *Manual* for the TV he linked says directly otherwise. I'm just going by that. If it's wrong then it's wrong.

Nuszka

my lg 47 lm760 tv settings first off change the hdmi label to pc - introduces least amount of lag , most of screen post processing options will be grayed out :
energy saving: off

picture mode : game (turns off another batch of post process thus lowering input lag)
backlight: 47
contrast: 85
brightness: 55 (you can lower that to 50 if you play in fully dark room i always have some ambience light on)
sharpness: 20 - its just me, everyone says it should be 0 but for me it seems to soft
color: 45
tint: r15
color temp: w50
advanced control - the ones not grayed out: gamma set to medium
picture option - the ones not grayed out : black level (rgb range) high, led local dimming set to off.
these are my settings that i used for almost 2 years , credit goes to the avforums. Btw i like my picture warm so much easier on the eyes , feel free to try them out

Speaking of tvs I have a Samsung plasma. It has a game mode but I've never turned it on because it says it could degrade the imagine does anyone use this

Nuszka

Speaking of tvs I have a Samsung plasma. It has a game mode but I've never turned it on because it says it could degrade the imagine does anyone use this

Its different for all the manufacturers when i set my old samsung tv to game mode first thing i did was to change it back the picture preset was horrible, could not stand it for 5 minutes. On my current lg set changing the input label to pc and picture mode to game does not diminish the picture and still gives you a lot of options to configure your tv.

my lg 47 lm760 tv settings first off change the hdmi label to pc - introduces least amount of lag , most of screen post processing options will be grayed out :

picture mode : game (turns off another batch of post process thus lowering input lag)
brightness: 55 (you can lower that to 50 if you play in fully dark room i always have some ambience light on)
sharpness: 20 - its just me, everyone says it should be 0 but for me it seems to soft
picture option - the ones not grayed out : black level (rgb range) high, led local dimming set to off.
these are my settings that i used for almost 2 years , credit goes to the avforums. Btw i like my picture warm so much easier on the eyes , feel free to try them out

All of my settings are closest to yours. So actually renaming the HDMI input to one of the defaults reduces lag? I set mine to Game. When I get home I'm going to set it to PC to see if I can tell a difference.

Nuszka

All of my settings are closest to yours. So actually renaming the HDMI input to one of the defaults reduces lag? I set mine to Game. When I get home I'm going to set it to PC to see if I can tell a difference.

I was messing around between pc and game label for input for about 3 hours while playing tekken tag 2 . Another thing to note that if you change your input label to pc it will force you to use 16/9 screen ratio.

thatJohann

Cleanest and the fastest with the least input lag.

That said, due to wrong RGB settings and the lack of some post-processing that your eye might have gotten used to, the images may look bland. But it's more like the intended way of displaying videos.

Well, on the samsung LED's, when you label the HDMI input to PC you get two picture presets, one is Entertainment and the other is Standard. I'm using Entertainment since it makes the colors pop. Have you tried that?

thatJohann

I really don't get this. I have a Samsung D7000 and always play games in game mode which disables the majority of post processing effects on the tv. So you are saying if I change the input name to "PC" it will give a even better picture? I don't see how tbh as it looks great as it is. I don't think there is a PC label anyway as it's only on the DVI//HDMI input of this tv and my computer is connected to that one.

Well if you try labeling it PC and you see your screen flicker, then your tv supports PC mode, which is what I'm using. I had been trying TONS of presets and custom settings to try to make my samsung led look great, but as soon as I discovered PC mode, I was just blown away.

Even on default settings, the image quality just looked so much more crisp and clear. I noticed while i was playing dead or alive 5 on xbox 360 and I noticed it almost looked like playing Dreamcast with a VGA box, very clean and smooth IQ.

I'm using the preset Entertainment with the default values. I'm only adjusting the color temp to Warm 1 and then making sure you set your PS4 to FULL and the LED to Normal. Let me know how it goes.

ktroopa

So basically when you to through "options" on the remote to get to picture settings there's nothing to adjust the RGB settings or HDMI settings. I messed around with the remote literally tried everything and discovered that when you press "home" on the top right there's a "settings" icon. Go to "picture and display". Scroll down to "pro picture set up". Finally from there you can select "dynamic range". That's where you can select for each HDMI input what sort of range you want (limited full or auto). Hope that helps!

Sidenote: does this only matter for the ps4? Or wii u as well?

found it, cheers bro :)

pixlexic

Banned
I have newer samsung and the settings for this is the COLORSPACE setting.

Native - is full;

auto - will select based on the input signal.

custom - you can fine tune the settings yourself.

thatJohann

I have newer samsung and the settings for this is the COLORSPACE setting.

Native - is full;

auto - will select based on the input signal.

custom - you can fine tune the settings yourself.

Interesting, I have mine set to Native and noticed more colors. However, how do you have your Black Level - Normal or low?

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I found that the PS4 does automatically detect the appropriate signal and automatically switches over, but only if I set it myself for each. Setting it to "Automatic" will just send out limited range regardless of whether I'm outputting to monitor to TV, but when I changed the setting myself it switches automatically.

Weird issue, glad it's getting attention and I hope everyone who's playing with this setting thanks to the thread is checking they're properly set up with reference images.

General rule is limited for TVs and full for monitors, and if you're properly set up they'll be indistinguishable.

ktroopa

Did you notice a difference? I'd like to think I do, but I don't know could be a placebo effect :p

My tv was already set to auto and PS4 also set to auto and blacks display fine including that test pattern on page 1 of this thread. still to be safe I set the PS4 manually to FULL. My Sony KDL-40W905A is pretty new so im confident its working correctly :)

Abylim

This thread sent me on a mission to optimize my tv. I set the ps4 to full and i could see more black squares on that image on page 1, but not all. So I fiddled with some settings and now I can see them all, but maybe its just me being accustomed to shitty colors but it looks odd now.

Is there anywhere I can go to calibrate my tv?

cerulily

I have a slightly older Panasonic Viera 42P277U, and i've been having darkness issues for awhile. Thanks to this thread, because now my TV is properly setup again.
I get so paranoid that my Plasma will die and i won't be able to replace it :x

Vark

Anybody that owns a Panasonic ST50 care to share their settings/findings?

I have both a ZT60 and an older GT25. I have then set to Auto and the PS4 / PS3 set to Full. The tv should set itself to full as well. (Double check by setting the tv manually to full and the image should look the same as auto)

It makes a noticeable difference if you're properly calibrated. Most notably it reduces color banding since you have more color information to work with (gradients in some spots become smooth instead of slightly stepped)

If you have a Samsung LED, go to settings, then change the input label of the HDMI input you're using to "PC", you'll see the screen flicker for a second, and when it comes back, prepare to see the purest, rawest, bestest, perfectest image, crystal clear HD. I can't go back to normal TV now.

You're welcome!

This also lowers the input lag a bit also. I am able to keep my auto motion plus running for games like Divinity. Looks glorious.

I have my PC on my TV now and the picture clarity is truly mind blowing.

Beefy

Changed both to full, changed my hmdi to pc and put on the entertaining picture mode (Samsung). The colour etc is so much better. I can actually see in the shadow areas of the pitch when I play FIFA.

Anyone else tried the entertain picture mode on a Samsung?

This thread sent me on a mission to optimize my tv. I set the ps4 to full and i could see more black squares on that image on page 1, but not all. So I fiddled with some settings and now I can see them all, but maybe its just me being accustomed to shitty colors but it looks odd now.

Is there anywhere I can go to calibrate my tv?

You can buy a DVD ( or blu-ray? ) from Disney that a lot of people recommend for calibrating TV's. World of Wonder I believe the disc is called.

Mk2020

Neo Member
I have my Ps4 going though my A/V receiver upscaled to 4K to my samsung tv

10372818_763602333660548_9062214179808568880_o.jpg

Yousefb

My tv was already set to auto and PS4 also set to auto and blacks display fine including that test pattern on page 1 of this thread. still to be safe I set the PS4 manually to FULL. My Sony KDL-40W905A is pretty new so im confident its working correctly :)
Did you figure out a way to change the hdmi setting to PC like some gaffers are saying? I know most of em have been talking about Samsung TV's, don't if that option is possible on the sony

ValeYard

Thanks for your settings. I have an LG lm660 so will see whether I should adjust my calibration. I've just been using a custom calibration of the game setting, but you really noticed less input lag playing Tekken with the HDMI labeled to PC?

Also, is 16:9 in PC mode just like Just Scan in the others?

ktroopa

Did you figure out a way to change the hdmi setting to PC like some gaffers are saying? I know most of em have been talking about Samsung TV's, don't if that option is possible on the sony

Nope not seen that anywhere and ive been thru all the menus on my sony.

O/T

One thing i also fixed was in display-->screen-->display area.

It was default at normal but i changed it to full pixel, the correct setting. Before that my browser in full screen mode cropped off the left side meaning i cud not see all the text. Full pixel mode sorted it.

Heel

At the very least, this thread pushed me to poke around in my TV settings and made me realize that my Vizio has a "Game Mode" setting (not picture setting, an actual setting) that I didn't have turned on. A lot better with input lag now. Thanks.

Anyone have some suggestions for newer Vizio LCDs beyond that? It passed the full RGB test pattern so I set it to full, but I can't find anything specifically about full RGB in the Vizio menus...

Jomjom

Banned
what's deep color output for? I have it in OFF for now.

thank you!

Btw I'm trying op and others' tips for find out how should I set my HDMI black level on TV and RGB settings on PS4, but I'm having some problem finding out if the differences make it for a better result or not. Usually I keep HDMI level on LOW and RGB in automatic because if I change the first to NORMAL everything looks to bright to me, while if I change RGB to full colors look to strong to me. Maybe I'm just used to my settings so every change seems strange? Also I tried looking at the "black squares" img posted on the first page and when HDMi level is NORMAL + RGB Full I don't see the first row/line of squares. Does this mean my samsung doesn't support it?

I'm pretty sure RGB normal is full so it should support it. After changing to Normal and Full on ps4 did you recalibrate? Brightness is the black setting so if you play with that you should be able to see all the squares. You should try to find reference images for brightness and contrast control and set it accurately.

Mengetsu

Hit your AV/Imput button on remote. Go to the one where your ps4 is at. Hit the tools button on remote. Hit "edit name". Scroll down to PC. Push Enter.
I could cry..I got my Samsung tv 6 months ago for my PS4 and I went though every setting and it didn't look crisp like a PC monitor and the blacks were so off no matter what I did. You just showed me a hidden option on the tv that should be normally there and it looks godlike now. Bless you sir!

jaosobno

Bravia settings for Colour Range(Limited/Full) aren't under the picture settings. You need to go to the main home menu and choose screen settings. There should be colour output options in there.

As I said before, my 2013 W900A Bravia works perfectly when my PS4 is set to auto. The TV is set to Auto out of the box and I haven't touched it. The way to check is to start with the setting at Auto on PS4, then change to limited. If the screen then flashes black for a second then it means the TV was seeing Full already so there's no issue.

Could you please tell me where exactly can I find that option on Bravia (I have W7 series but options should be the same)?

I can't find it under picture settings and under screen settings I can only choose aspect ratio. I have already selected game scene under scene selection, is such a preset blocking the option somehow?

Jomjom

Banned
Could you please tell me where exactly can I find that option on Bravia (I have W7 series but options should be the same)?

I can't find it under picture settings and under screen settings I can only choose aspect ratio. I have already selected game scene under scene selection, is such a preset blocking the option somehow?

Press Home and then hit the right arrow button to go to the settings there. I think the symbol looks kind of like a briefcase. Under "Picture & Display" there should be a "Pro Picture Setup". That's where it is.

jaosobno

Press Home and then hit the right arrow button to go to the settings there. I think the symbol looks kind of like a briefcase. Under "Picture & Display" there should be a "Pro Picture Setup". That's where it is.

Thx, will try when I get home.

If you are 100% certain that your TV's setting is set to Full, and changing the PS4 from limited to full back and forth is showing no difference, it could be because of two things:

1) Your TV's brightness setting is not calibrated quite right.

2) The brightness setting is at a point where you can only see the 16-235 range using either setting. The very dark boxes in that image go below the range or "blacker than black".

Just to make clear you don't necessarily want EVERY single box to be seen in that image. That does not mean its calibrated right. The test is whether you can see the boxes. At "limited" no matter how much you tweak your TV's brightness control they will not show up no matter what. I believe on my ISF calibrated Sony W800 the darkest box is barely visible. This will differ somewhat depending on the room lighting you are calibrating for.

On a separate matter here's a pro tip for everyone:TURN OFF ALL THAT BLACK ENHANCER, WHITE ENHANCER, MOTIONFLOW, FILL IN THE BLANK ENHANCER. It not only messes with color accuracy, but it will introduce a load of extra input lag.

Oh yeah if I crank my brightness up even to just 60% I can easily see every box, but it gets crazy washed out to me. At 54 I can just barely if I squint really hard make out the existence of the first two boxes. I guess I might go back to 52 if I'm not supposed to really see them, had it that way since I got my tv it seemed perfect when I was testing it in games.

And yeah I keep all that other junk off. I like as natural an image as possible. Most games I play that have a gamma/brightness image to scale to, I find its already just about perfect on the default setting.

Cyborg

Ive tested this but dont understand my TV RGB setup.
I have a Samsung D9000 series and I have a RGB option but I can only chose between three colors Blue, Red and Green. If I select one the whole screen gets Blue/Red/Green.

Whats wrong?

Ive tested this but dont understand my TV RGB setup.
I have a Samsung D9000 series and I have a RGB option but I can only chose between three colors Blue, Red and Green. If I select one the whole screen gets Blue/Red/Green.

Whats wrong?

that's the color scale

look for a setting for black levels.

On the white scale I can't see the last one. Is that how its supposed to be?

(as for the others, I can make out each level, but the first in those black ones are so faint I'm not actually sure if I can really see ithem or if I just think I can cause I know they're supposed to be there)

yea the last white one for me is very hard to see. Contrast and Gamma sliders will help this. just make sure your not messing up the black levels when you do this. it's all about balance.

as for the very first black square it might be hard to see in a lit room/daytime. do it at night with all the lights off.

i found some more images from when I calibrated my TV. nice to have them in the thread.

white scale

black scale

another black scale

color gamut. makes sure each portion doesn't blend with another

On the white scale I can't see the last one. Is that how its supposed to be?

(as for the others, I can make out each level, but the first in those black ones are so faint I'm not actually sure if I can really see ithem or if I just think I can cause I know they're supposed to be there)

Cyborg

that's the color scale

look for a setting for black levels. what model TV?

yea the last white one for me is very hard to see. Contrast and Gamma sliders will help this. just make sure your not messing up the black levels when you do this. it's all about balance.

as for the very first black square it might be hard to see in a lit room/daytime. do it at night with all the lights off.

Samsung UE46D8000

Edit: I only see; Black Tone 1.dark 2.darker 3.darkest? Is this it?

Top Bottom