• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's Automatic RGB setting is unreliable, so double check your TV / PS4

Withnail

That's whay the YrPr... settings are for. When playing a Blu-Ray your PS4 won't output RGB.

Correct but it's 16-235 YCbCr, and the advice in this thread, which a lot of people seem to be following, is to use RGB Full and then adjust contrast and brightness for a 0-255 range. This means movies are no longer going to use the full dynamic range of your display.

I think the OP is well-intentioned but it's not always the case that you SHOULD use RGB Full if your set supports it. On a properly set up TV, RGB Full doesn't give blacker blacks or whiter whites, it just gives more steps in between. Therefore you are trading a minuscule improvement in game display for a more significant degradation in movie display.

But so it goes.

Yousefb

Where did you find the setting dude?
So basically when you to through "options" on the remote to get to picture settings there's nothing to adjust the RGB settings or HDMI settings. I messed around with the remote literally tried everything and discovered that when you press "home" on the top right there's a "settings" icon. Go to "picture and display". Scroll down to "pro picture set up". Finally from there you can select "dynamic range". That's where you can select for each HDMI input what sort of range you want (limited full or auto). Hope that helps!

Sidenote: does this only matter for the ps4? Or wii u as well?

If I change from gaming mode to PC input, I lose the ability for "just scan" which is 1:1

Here is my current setting

6wTFmF7.jpg

KyleCross

I do have a question for people with Samsung TVs. I'm sure we all know "Game Mode" which when turns out deactivates most of the post-processing effects to decrease input lag. However I hear changing the Input to PC does the same exact thing. While the Game Mode is then usually greyed out while you have the input as PC, but on certain devices, like the PS4, the Game Mode is still able to be turned on despite the label being PC.

Is there any benefit at all to turn it on when the label is already PC? Why isn't it greyed out like when my computer is hooked up via HDMI?

Jomjom

Banned
So basically when you to through "options" on the remote to get to picture settings there's nothing to adjust the RGB settings or HDMI settings. I messed around with the remote literally tried everything and discovered that when you press "home" on the top right there's a "settings" icon. Go to "picture and display". Scroll down to "pro picture set up". Finally from there you can select "dynamic range". That's where you can select for each HDMI input what sort of range you want (limited full or auto). Hope that helps!

Sidenote: does this only matter for the ps4? Or wii u as well?

For your Wii U input, you want to set that to Limited on your TV as the Wii U itself does not output a Full RGB signal.

What happens in a case where both the TV and device support Full RGB, but you watch a Blu-Ray or stream a movie? Since films are 16-235, are colors guesstimated or do you end up with a washed out image?

Therein lies the problem. There's no perfect solution (well there is, buy a dedicated Blu-ray player and use it to play movies, PS4 for games only). You're right that if you set your PS4 for perfect color accuracy for gaming, you do it at the expense of color accuracy during movie watching.

Here's my solution though (although this won't work with all TVs because not all TVs support this). I have one calibration saved for gaming labeled "Gaming" and one calibration labeled "Cinema". Those two are perfectly calibrated for the PS4 and TV at Full/Full and Limited/Limited respectively. It's a quick button press to switch those, and then going into my PS4 settings and TV settings to switch them to Limited before I watch a Blu-ray or some other film media on my PS4.

To be honest though, I rarely go through the trouble as I don't see much of a difference when watching movies at Full/Full. My guess is that since blu-rays actually use YCbCr anyway that when its converting to RGB it's probably just using the 16-235 space of your full 0-255 so there shouldn't be much of a difference. Watching films using any kind of RGB is already not ideal if we want to be sticklers about it.

ValeYard

So with that said, you still recommend pc mode?

Hey, on my LG I'm still using Game mode. When I renamed an HDMI PC it just greyed out a lot of settings to low or off that are off in game mode anyway, but which can still be set differently. The only difference in settings was that black level (the rgb setting in LGs) was set to high in order to correspond to the full rgb of the pc.

I don't know if there's any difference in post processing that I can't see by labeling PC, but otherwise you can use game mode and set black levels to low -> limited rgb on ps4 or black level on high -> full rgb. I've tried it out and found it didn't make any difference whether full or limited. It was only washed out and oversaturated when there was a mismatch.

whats the RGB settings called for Sony TV's? i have an HX850

i found an option called HDMI Dynamic Range in the pro picture setup.. i have two options, full and limited so i guess my PS4 should be running at full right?

jaosobno

whats the RGB settings called for Sony TV's? i have an HX850

i found an option called HDMI Dynamic Range in the pro picture setup.. i have two options, full and limited so i guess my PS4 should be running at full right?

This is for W series but perhaps the same applies to HX TVs:

Bravia settings for Colour Range(Limited/Full) aren't under the picture settings. You need to go to the main home menu and choose screen settings. There should be colour output options in there.

As I said before, my 2013 W900A Bravia works perfectly when my PS4 is set to auto. The TV is set to Auto out of the box and I haven't touched it. The way to check is to start with the setting at Auto on PS4, then change to limited. If the screen then flashes black for a second then it means the TV was seeing Full already so there's no issue.

Shining

I may be slightly autistic, but i'm always surprised and get somewhat frustrated when people don't bother to calibrate their shit correctly. Am i the only one that actually enjoy doing that? When you buy a new display or other piece of hardware you need to sit down and work your way through the menus just to see what it offers in terms of settings etc. You don't leave it on "automatic" or use some predefined settings.

tumblr_msmpbleBzj1qedb29o1_500.gif

ViciousDS

Banned
I could not find full range on my monitor last night in the settings, I would assume the sRGB mode is the correct settings(Gives washed color (which I remember reading its actually more natural?)? Unless the monitor displays full range at standard as well........I have no clue. Asus MX279H

d9b

Banned
If you have a Samsung LED, go to settings, then change the input label of the HDMI input you're using to "PC", you'll see the screen flicker for a second, and when it comes back, prepare to see the purest, rawest, bestest, perfectest image, crystal clear HD. I can't go back to normal TV now.

You're welcome!
Definitely true, but once you do this it's good to fine tune (calibrate) your TV to achieve perfection. ;)

RulkezX

My 2011 Panasonic Plasma doesn't have this setting anywhere.

I've fiddled about with the setting on my PS4 during a dark scene in KZ and didn't notice any change between auto, full and limited :(

SZips

Definitely true, but once you do this it's good to fine tune (calibrate) your TV to achieve perfection. ;)
I tried the PC setting just to see briefly what it looked like. Wow, that setting looks like absolute garbage compared to the manual settings I followed a page or to ago here.

SeanTSC

What happens in a case where both the TV and device support Full RGB, but you watch a Blu-Ray or stream a movie? Since films are 16-235, are colors guesstimated or do you end up with a washed out image?

Nothing happens. A 16-235 video looks identical regardless if a TV+Device is set to both Limited or both Full. It does not change the image what so ever. Full displays the colors of a 16-235 video exactly as they are. The only thing it does different is it allows more colors if the source has them.

You just have to make sure the settings match up. There's no harm what so ever in going Full/Full as long as it's set properly. I've spent dozens upon dozens of hours setting up and looking at video files with both my PC and various players and renderers (like MadVR) and devices and Full and Limited always have looked identical if set properly.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
what's deep color output for? I have it in OFF for now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth#Deep_color_.2830.2F36.2F48-bit.29

Basically it's 30/36/48 bit color depths and allows for more accurate color and less banding. I think most TVs still don't actually have it. There's also like, no video content what so ever made with it (there's anime re-encodes done in it for various good reasons). Not sure if games take advantage of it or not - but I think it's highly unlikely that they do. It's also known as 10 bit color as opposed to the "normal" 8 bit.

Some people were having problems with it set to Auto like screen buzzing as such. There's not much point to turning it on.

thank you!

Btw I'm trying op and others' tips for find out how should I set my HDMI black level on TV and RGB settings on PS4, but I'm having some problem finding out if the differences make it for a better result or not. Usually I keep HDMI level on LOW and RGB in automatic because if I change the first to NORMAL everything looks to bright to me, while if I change RGB to full colors look to strong to me. Maybe I'm just used to my settings so every change seems strange? Also I tried looking at the "black squares" img posted on the first page and when HDMi level is NORMAL + RGB Full I don't see the first row/line of squares. Does this mean my samsung doesn't support it?

SeanTSC

what's deep color output for? I have it in OFF for now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth#Deep_color_.2830.2F36.2F48-bit.29

Basically it's 30/36/48 bit color depths and allows for more accurate color and less banding. I think most TVs still don't actually have it. There's also like, no video content what so ever made with it (there's anime re-encodes done in it for various good reasons). Not sure if games take advantage of it or not - but I think it's highly unlikely that they do. It's also known as 10 bit color as opposed to the "normal" 8 bit.

Some people were having problems with it set to Auto like screen buzzing as such. There's not much point to turning it on.

I have a vizio e500i-a1 and I'm not totally sure if it supports full or not however when on the

ps4 looking at the black squares from the picture posted on the first page I could basically

see all the squares but the first one on the very top left of the row, and that's using the

limited setting or full...

SeanTSC

OK will do, what does it actually do?

It will change your RGB Range to Limited and crush the blacks if you keep your PS4 set to Full. You'll have to change the PS4 to Limited to match it. There's nothing wrong with keeping your settings at Wide and Full. So either keep it Wide/Full or change it to Normal/Limited, both are fine.

hesido

I also have set to full RGB instead of Auto and have benefited from it, the UI colours immediately seemed more vibrant. LG LW4500 on PC input mode here. Many settings are disabled when that mode is on btw.

It will change your RGB Range to Limited and crush the blacks if you keep your PS4 set to Full. You'll have to change the PS4 to Limited to match it. There's nothing wrong with keeping your settings at Wide and Full. So either keep it Wide/Full or change it to Normal/Limited, both are fine.

Setting to Wide/full, if your TV supports it, would cause a slight increase in IQ, as colours are represented using slightly higher amount of available integers. I'll also note that the more vibrant colours I'm seeing with "full" are not because of the wider palette but my TV is set to full RGB in PC mode, so the settings match properly.

So is the colour gamut the RGB level? or is it Black level? I have Black level high and RGB Full on my PS4, should I change colour Gamut or not?

SeanTSC

So is the colour gamut the RGB level? or is it Black level? I have Black level high and RGB Full on my PS4, should I change colour Gamut or not?

The Black Level is something else entirely for that set. The RGB setting is the Color Gamut setting. Seeing as the picture looked good for you should probably keep it on High. Full & Wide are the matching settings and you don't need to change it unless you want to, in which case Limited & Normal would be the other working setting.

thatJohann

I tried the PC setting just to see briefly what it looked like. Wow, that setting looks like absolute garbage compared to the manual settings I followed a page or to ago here.

Seriously? what manual settings are you comparing it to? PC input gives you the cleanest unprocessed image...

hesido

Seriously? what manual settings are you comparing it to? PC input gives you the cleanest unprocessed image...

Cleanest and the fastest with the least input lag.

That said, due to wrong RGB settings and the lack of some post-processing that your eye might have gotten used to, the images may look bland. But it's more like the intended way of displaying videos.

Nuszka

The Black Level is something else entirely for that set. The RGB setting is the Color Gamut setting. Seeing as the picture looked good for you should probably keep it on High. Full & Wide are the matching settings and you don't need to change it unless you want to, in which case Limited & Normal would be the other working setting.

On lg sets the black level is the rgb range not the other way around , cant find the source but when i was calibrating my set thats what came across my head. Thing that bugs me is if i chnge my tv settings to high rgb range does it introduce additional proccesing for the tv thus adding input lag. I remember on my older samsung set wich supported the full rgb range changing it to that setting incresed the lag.

Occam

Was fine for me even on auto. I have an LG TV, and set the hdmi port I use for PS4 to full RGB (called Black Level high). Auto on PS4 produces the same (perfect) result as "full" for me.

So the PS4 auto setting is not faulty but it doesn't seem to function with some TVs.

SeanTSC

On lg sets the black level is the rgb range not the other way around , cant find the source but when i was calibrating my set thats what came across my head. Thing that bugs me is if i chnge my tv settings to high rgb range does it introduce additional proccesing for the tv thus adding input lag. I remember on my older samsung set wich supported the full rgb range changing it to that setting incresed the lag.

I'm pretty sure it's the way I described for this one if the Manual that he linked is correct. I read through it to make sure before I posted anything.

From his link:

Black Level:
Low - The reflection of the screen gets darker.
High - the reflection of the screen gets brighter.

Color Gamut:
Standard - Displays standard set of colors.
Wide - increases number of colors used.

Also never heard of a Display adding input lag with the Full setting for anyone.

SeanTSC

Was fine for me even on auto. I have an LG TV, and set the hdmi port I use for PS4 to full RGB (called Black Level high). Auto on PS4 produces the same result as high for me.

So the PS4 auto setting is not faulty but it doesn't seem to function with some TVs.

Try setting your TV to Limited and then see what the PS4 does with the Auto setting.

For my PS4/TV/Receiver combo the Auto setting on the PS4 is the same as Full. If I change my TV to Limited then the PS4's auto setting still thinks it's set to High.

I think it's not reading the TV's setting at all but some factory default from the EDID.

teiresias

Correct but it's 16-235 YCbCr, and the advice in this thread, which a lot of people seem to be following, is to use RGB Full and then adjust contrast and brightness for a 0-255 range. This means movies are no longer going to use the full dynamic range of your display.

I think the OP is well-intentioned but it's not always the case that you SHOULD use RGB Full if your set supports it. On a properly set up TV, RGB Full doesn't give blacker blacks or whiter whites, it just gives more steps in between. Therefore you are trading a minuscule improvement in game display for a more significant degradation in movie display.

But so it goes.

There isn't really a "16-235" YCbCr (there is 4:2:2 vs 4:4:4), but i get what you're saying. I think in this case people just have to decide what's more important to them, the video game RGB output or the video (DVD/Blu-Ray) YCbCr.

On a PS3 anwyay, you can actually set the DVD/BR output to be in RGB instead of YCbCr but I have no idea how accurate the conversion from YCbCr to RGB is when done by the PS3 (I was under the assumption it was lossless, but I'm not sure that's the case if it converts to an RGB output set to full), but that does let you sort of do an RGB-based calibration, but like you said, you're still calibrating for 4:2:2 YCbCr-native output that's being output in RGB colorspace. I'm not sure if the PS3 actually translates Blacker-than-black and Superwhite into the extended RGB range if you use Full RGB output for disc playback on PS3 - I've never checked. I suspect you just lose blacker-than-black and superwhite on Blu-Rays if you have the PS3 send it out via RGB.

I suppose, if the PS3 DOES actually map blacker-than-black and superwhite to the blackest and whitest RGB values respectively, than you technically may actually be able to do a calibration via a Blu-Ray calibration disc that would be applicable to both games and Blu-Rays (since in either one the blackest level - while encoded - shouldn't actually be visible).

However, the above isn't applicable to the PS4 since it doesn't seem to have the capability to send discs out via RGB at all, it will always switch to YCbCr when playing discs back. This is just another area where the PS3 currently gives more options than the PS4 in terms of media playback (though I'm not sure outputting discs via RGB is really something to rave about unless it buys you the calibration ability I mentioned above).

My view is that I calibrate for disc playback since I actually can get calibration discs to do the calibration with. "Calibrating" RGB is really only adjusting until whatever game I have playing at the time meets my preference, whereas calibrating for disc playback I do like to get as close to the standard as possible.

Occam

Try setting your TV to Limited and then see what the PS4 does with the Auto setting.

For my PS4/TV/Receiver combo the Auto setting on the PS4 is the same as Full. If I change my TV to Limited then the PS4's auto setting still thinks it's set to High.

I think it's not reading the TV's setting at all but some factory default from the EDID.

No, I just gave it a try. I set the black level of my tv to low, then set PS4 to auto and it correctly switched over to limited.

SeanTSC

No, I just gave it a try. I set the black level of my tv to low, then set PS4 to auto and it correctly switched over to low.

Ah nice, so it does work with certain TVs. I wonder what causes other TVs to only show up as Full or only Limited for the PS4. Might be Receiver related too.

Nuszka

I'm pretty sure it's the way I described for this one if the Manual that he linked is correct. I read through it to make sure before I posted anything.

From his link:

Black Level:
Low - The reflection of the screen gets darker.
High - the reflection of the screen gets brighter.

Color Gamut:
Standard - Displays standard set of colors.
Wide - increases number of colors used.

Also never heard of a Display adding input lag with the Full setting for anyone.

I have been using my lg set for almost 2 years now and when i got it i have went through houndreds of pages about my specific model on avforums and i clearly remember that the black level on lg sets is the setting for rgb range. simple google search : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...high-low-black-level-settings-pc-console.html
Another info about color gamut setting on lg sets - nothing to do with the rgb range : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...6-question-about-color-gamut-setting-lgs.html

Occam

Yes, this is correct:

PC/PS4: RGB Full
LG: Black Level - High

PC/PS4: RGB Limited
LG: Black Level - Low

Obviously you want to use Full/High.

Z3M0G

So I set it to Full, and immediately found it harder on the eyes. My previous LED TV felt the same... and perhaps this was the reason why. Playing Warframe, dark areas were much too dark...

Would people suggest I actually stick with Full and re-balance the TV accordingly?

-PXG-

I thought this was known. Huh. I noticed this the night I got the system. Set my TV and PS4 to Full RGB and haven't had any issues.

Samsung f7100 series here

From what I can find it's supposed to be full rgb but I can't find any settings anywhere for that, and that picture on the first page only works when the ps4 is set to limited

I wonder what I'm doing wrong

I always can't believe how much confusion there is around RGB levels every time a thread like this pops up. I guess that's what the "Automatic" setting was meant for, but I know with my Panasonic plasma if the PS4 is set to auto it sometimes goes to RGB Full for some reason. I'm guessing its a TV-PS4 handshake issue.

This issue is simple:

Playing on TV: PS4 on Limited, TV on limited (RGB levels 16-235, check your manual for nomenclature)

Playing on Monitor: RGB Full (0-255, most monitors default to full scalle RGB).

There is no advantage to using Full-Full on your TV, its the same as using Limited-Limited, however the PS4 doesn't quite map full scale RGB correctly (and the Xbone's Full is straight broken, the last 12 levels or so are cut off).

Amazes me how many people play with a mismatch and have either severely crushed blacks or an extremely washed out image.

Z3M0G

Take a look at your TV's menu. Find something under picture or advanced picture that mentions RGB or Color range or anything to that effect. You want to make sure your PS4 and TV are on the same setting. Setting your PS4 to full isn't the answer, because if your TV is limited, you'll get a more vibrant image but you'll also get crushed blacks. It's got to match. That's the important part.

This is definitely my problem.

I have an LG 3D Smart TV and couldn't find these options...

Top Bottom