• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's Automatic RGB setting is unreliable, so double check your TV / PS4

SZips

Keep the dynamic contrast. If uses more cooler colors instead of the warm "yellow" normal uses.

The contrast has been on dynamic contrast. That setting hasn't been changed at least. I slipped a bit in my post. I mean the general picture "Mode" setting was changed from Dynamic to Standard. My options for that are Dynamic, Standard (with Energy Star savings), or Movie. I had that set to Dynamic before but on the Dynamic settings, it disables the ability to access the advanced picture options to change the HDMI setting between Normal or Low.

I mean, the picture looked fine to me before changing anything so I may just change it back if I can't find settings that seem "right" to me. I don't know yet.

Mr Moose

The contrast has been on dynamic contrast. That setting hasn't been changed at least. I slipped a bit in my post. I mean the general picture "Mode" setting was changed from Dynamic to Standard. My options for that are Dynamic, Standard (with Energy Star savings), or Movie. I had that set to Dynamic before but on the Dynamic settings, it disables the ability to access the advanced picture options to change the HDMI setting between Normal or Low.

I mean, the picture looked fine to me before changing anything so I may just change it back if I can't find settings that seem "right" to me. I don't know yet.

Set it to Movie.
If its like mine and you want it like mine... :p
Backlight 15
Contrast 90
Brightness 45
Sharpness 20
Colour 48
Tint R51
-
Advanced Settings
Dynamic contrast off
Black tone off
Flesh tone 1
Colour space auto
-
Picture options
Colour tone warm1
Digi noise filter off
MPEG noise filter off
HDMI black level normal
LED motion plus off

(If your Samsung is anything like mine, hope it looks OK for you).

I made a mistake. Dynamic is the right picture mode, and yes it does grey out advanced settings, but hdmi black level is under picture options not advanced settings lol.

If you use Dynamic it'll go dark automatically when it shouldn't (like when aiming with a sniper rifle on CoD BO2).

Banned

I made a mistake. Dynamic is the right picture mode, and yes it does grey out advanced settings, but hdmi black level is under picture options not advanced settings lol.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Recalibrated tonight around RGB full. Looks way more accurate than my previous attempt. very happy with how it turned out.

In my settings I do not have any limited or full RGB option.

I have absolutely no idea what my tv supports.
Friggin' LG and their weird menu's.

different manufacturers have different descriptions for the black levels. some say RGB Full, Black Level, ect.

my LG uses "Black Level"
LG_LM7600_series_35117974_35118094_05.jpg

My monitor has a full option but turning it on for ps4 causes half the squares to go full black.

now make sure the PS4 is set to Full RGB. might need to restart the console to make sure it worked.

you'll notice the PS splash screen is very black in comparision

KyleCross

I discovered the PC input trick on my Samsung a while ago, but didn't know about this issue. Sure enough I was getting crushed blacks with automatic and Black Level on Low. Now PS4 is Full and Black Level Normal. I assume the PS3 is much the same way, so I'll be sure to change it on there too.

dolabla

On my set:

PS4 Limited + Black Level Normal = looks washed out (I'll explain what I did below)

PS4 Full + Black Level Low = Crushed hurting my eyes black

Now when I adjust the brightness level on my tv when things are set to PS4 Limited + Black Level Normal, I can get it to display pretty much what Black Level Low looks like without the crush. So I'm guessing this is the correct setting?

Banned
On my set:

PS4 Limited + Black Level Normal = looks washed out (I'll explain what I did below)

PS4 Full + Black Level Low = Crushed hurting my eyes black

Now when I adjust the brightness level on my tv when things are set to PS4 Limited + Black Level Normal, I can get it to display pretty much what Black Level Low looks like without the crush. So I'm guessing this is the correct setting?
No. Either:

Full + Normal

Or

Limited + Low

Otherwise you get crushed or washed out blacks.

Recalibrated tonight around RGB full. Looks way more accurate than my previous attempt. very happy with how it turned out.
Our TV calls it 'wide'. I switched on both and it looks more dynamic but also a little more 'etched'. We're rocking the 'game' setting too for whatever that's worth. I've noticed that just having it on 'game' creates the etching but makes everything feel less floaty.

dolabla

No. Either:

Full + Normal

Or

Limited + Low

Otherwise you get crushed or washed out blacks.

It's funny cause I did those and it looks a little too dark? When I set both to limited and play around with the brightness on my tv, I get my dark blacks back. Fwiw I have a Samsung TV.

Mentok

Banned
Yup the automatic setting has been like this forever.

Here's a easy way to check if your TV supports full and if your setting on the PS4 is correct.

View the below image in the PS4 browser. If your TV supports RGB full you'll be able to see the upper left most square very faintly. If it doesn't support it or if your settings are wrong, you likely won't see most of the top row. Toggle the RGB setting from limited and full and you'll see the difference in the image. If your TV doesn't support Full RGB, you just won't be able to see the top row of squares because the blacks used are blacker than the range RGB Limited can support.

fullrgb_test.jpg

Thanks for this! Found out my TV is limited RGB...which I found surprising but there are no settings for it either.

bargeparty

Oh man i just viewed that image on my phone (moto x) and all but the last row is blacked out

Edit: improves with the brightness turned up

SZips

Set it to Movie.
Backlight 15
Contrast 90
Brightness 45
Sharpness 20
Colour 48
Tint R51
-
Advanced Settings
Dynamic contrast off
Black tone off
Flesh tone 1
Colour space auto
-
Picture options
Colour tone warm1
Digi noise filter off
MPEG noise filter off
HDMI black level normal
LED motion plus off

If you use Dynamic it'll go dark automatically when it shouldn't (like when aiming with a sniper rifle on CoD BO2).

I'll mark my current settings down somewhere and then give yours a try to see how it looks in comparison. Thanks.

Edit: Whoops. Yep, you're right. I'm an idiot. Sorry!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Set it to Movie.

Settings on my Samsung are nearly identical (only sharpness is on 0). PS4 is on Full RGB and picture is just perfect. Tested on TLoU:R

HTK

Banned
I couldn't find any specific settings you guys talked about in this thread. But I did put it on "FULL" and was able to confirm by that image that it supports it. Glad I did because it made a world a difference with dark games.

Thanks OP!

SZips

Set it to Movie.
(...)
I just made the settings near identical to yours. I just had to slightly change the backlight and brightness just due to how my lighting is set up in my room here. It's certainly looking quite a bit different than what I was used to previously. I can only assume it's going to take some time to get used to compared to how I had it before.

Yousefb

I have a sony W800b (50 inch led) ), and I have literally been paying my games every couple minutes trying to get the best image and I'm never satisfied. I went with the calibration settings on rtings.com but still I feel like I'm not getting a very clear crisp HD image. Something just feels off and I just know I can get better output from this tv and the ps4. So maybe what the OP is talking about but I'm honestly not well versed in this technical stuff. Has anyone tried or got tips for w800b or a similar sony tv? Thanks guys

Renta

Banned
Yup the automatic setting has been like this forever.

Here's a easy way to check if your TV supports full and if your setting on the PS4 is correct.

View the below image in the PS4 browser. If your TV supports RGB full you'll be able to see the upper left most square very faintly. If it doesn't support it or if your settings are wrong, you likely won't see most of the top row. Toggle the RGB setting from limited and full and you'll see the difference in the image. If your TV doesn't support Full RGB, you just won't be able to see the top row of squares because the blacks used are blacker than the range RGB Limited can support.

fullrgb_test.jpg

What if I can't see anything in the top row, and part of the second row, in either RGB setting? I have a Westinghouse UW40TA2W and this thing has the most basic menu system ever. :(

I have a sony W800b (50 inch led) ), and I have literally been paying my games every couple minutes trying to get the best image and I'm never satisfied. I went with the calibration settings on rtings.com but still I feel like I'm not getting a very clear crisp HD image. Something just feels off and I just know I can get better output from this tv and the ps4. So maybe what the OP is talking about but I'm honestly not well versed in this technical stuff. Has anyone tried or got tips for w800b or a similar sony tv? Thanks guys

I have an older (2010) Sony 55". All my settings are limited on the PS4 and automatic for deep color. As far as the tv settings, my settings won't work for you, but most of my Sony tv's needed an increase in warm tint. The backlight was reduced nearly all the way. You're probably going to want to hook your pc up to your tv and mess with some of the AVS sample videos to get the white and black levels just right.

Banned
Sony TV's have a pixture setting called RGB. Set it to Full.

Go to your PS4 screen options. Change the resolution from automatic to 1080p. Change the RGB to full.

Yousefb

Sony TV's have a pixture setting called RGB. Set it to Full.

Go to your PS4 screen options. Change the resolution from automatic to 1080p. Change the RGB to full.
I'm trying to find that but it's no where in the settings. In terms of "scene select" I'm on game mode. When I go into the picture settings there's no RGB setting that I can adjust. The closest thing I can find is under "white balance" I can change R-gain, B-gain, G-gain. Not sure if that's the same thing or not

This thread was REALLY helpful, it looks way better now. There's only a small issue that I didn't really like the image when I renamed the HDMI to PC, it has a yellow tint and it's blurry and maybe I'm the problem. Am I alone on that?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I don't normally notice this sort of stuff but all my consoles run through a receiver.

I do notice on a lot of games though (PS4/3, Xbox One/360) I have to turn the brightness all the way up in the settings.

So maybe my receiver is contributing to crushed blacks?

Hurley

I'm trying to find that but it's no where in the settings. In terms of "scene select" I'm on game mode. When I go into the picture settings there's no RGB setting that I can adjust. The closest thing I can find is under "white balance" I can change R-gain, B-gain, G-gain. Not sure if that's the same thing or not

On my Sony it's in the video input settings when going into Display

I don't normally notice this sort of stuff but all my consoles run through a receiver.

I do notice on a lot of games though (PS4/3, Xbox One/360) I have to turn the brightness all the way up in the settings.

So maybe my receiver is contributing to crushed blacks?

Its very possible. Make sure you set the receivers picture setting to Direct so its onboard video chip isn't doing any shitty tricks.

jiiikoo

Banned
I bought a Panasonic TX-P50ST50 plasma last year and what grinds my gears is that it is an EU model (I live in Finland) so it doesn't have the RGB Full / Limited option like the model they sell in the US. I just can't see the logic in that. There are other picture settings that are missing from the EU model too.

nikos

Read that author's response to a guy in the comment section. His article is premised on an incorrect assumption. He assumes that TVs cannot show the full values (1-15) no matter what. The reality is that today most TVs CAN do exactly that.

In the past, the author is correct, most TVs displays were very different than monitors. Today that is no longer true.

Another incorrect assumption is that all TVs convert a full signal to limited (0-255 to 16-235). Additionally you never want your display to convert, extrapolate, guesstimate, translate, or uncompress something. It'll never be as good as receiving and displaying the raw signal -this is true for both video and audio.

What happens in a case where both the TV and device support Full RGB, but you watch a Blu-Ray or stream a movie? Since films are 16-235, are colors guesstimated or do you end up with a washed out image?

What happens in a case where both the TV and device support Full RGB, but you watch a Blu-Ray or stream a movie? Since films are 16-235, are colors guesstimated or do you end up with a washed out image?

That's whay the YrPr... settings are for. When playing a Blu-Ray your PS4 won't output RGB.

jeanRicK

Woa ... The difference is quite apparent. I have an Asus monitor and setting it to full makes the colors so much richer. Sony really should fix that auto setting.

Grinchy

Banned
I got my TV in 2009, and I always bought into the idea that TVs should be limited and monitors should be full. I never realized that using my HDMI black level as normal while having my consoles set to limited was wrong until now.

KyleCross

As I'm sure most here know, there's no such thing as a universal configuration, even between the same model of TVs. Fact is, every room and every pair of eyes is different.

For example, here's my setting on a 46 inch LED Samsung, drastically different from Mr Moose's:

Input Label: PC

Picture
Mode: Standard
Backlight: 15
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 50 (gotta really crank it up with PC input label else it's blurry)
Color: 50
Tint: 50/50

Picture Options
Color Tone: Standard
Screen-mode: 16:9 (when you select PC as the input label 16:9 becomes 1:1 pixel just like Screen Fit)
HDMI Black Level: Normal

A lot of people swear by the calibration menu on THX DVDs and stuff, but they never helped me one bit. The best advice I can give anyone is to not use any one source as a means to calibrate, like any random games Brightness menu (such as the lower your brightness till you see nothing under the red line bullshit). Just slowly adjust it over time to suit your tastes and you'll eventually find the sweet spot. All I'll say tho is never max out a setting, like Backlight and Contrast to their highest points. If a setting can go max and still look good to you, it's best to drop it down either 5 or 10 notches.

Nizz

This is my problem here. I have a Sony Bravia I bought in 2009 and that white balance setting is the closest I can find. I did set my PS4 to Full and looked up that picture with the black squares from this thread and the whole top row was black.

What the hell am I doing wrong? 😩

Top Bottom