• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's Automatic RGB setting is unreliable, so double check your TV / PS4

wow, thanks.

Just changed RGB to 'full' and wow! The blue of the background just got a whole lot more blue..

Reminds me of when I played PS3 on an HD TV for the first time.
..dem XMB sparkles :eek:..

Take a look at your TV's menu. Find something under picture or advanced picture that mentions RGB or Color range or anything to that effect. You want to make sure your PS4 and TV are on the same setting. Setting your PS4 to full isn't the answer, because if your TV is limited, you'll get a more vibrant image but you'll also get crushed blacks. It's got to match. That's the important part.

Sean*O

I've been saying this was screwed up since launch day. I tried all of the full/limited settings. Problem is I use a Denon AV receiver with HDMI switching and multiple sources going to a single HDMI on my Samsung TV, and every other device on that HDMI input looks perfect, including a HTPC and a PS3.

The PS4 is the only one that's jacked up where I have to adjust the brightness for the whole TV thereby screwing up the black levels on the HTPC, PS3, Etc. I spent some time calibrating the HTPC output (color, greyscale, etc) so I hate having to mess with the brightness and remember where the settings were.

SONY, FIX THIS SHIT. My PS3 (gen 1 model) works perfect on my same input, why can't my PS4 do the same.

PacinoMan

Banned
Take a look at your TV's menu. Find something under picture or advanced picture that mentions RGB or Color range or anything to that effect. You want to make sure your PS4 and TV are on the same setting. Setting your PS4 to full isn't the answer, because if your TV is limited, you'll get a more vibrant image but you'll also get crushed blacks. It's got to match. That's the important part.

In my settings I do not have any limited or full RGB option. I do have some Red, Green, and Blue, sliders though that go from 0 to 255. They are all set on 128. Also, adjusting the brightness a couple of notches definitely helped. I knocked it up about 4 notches before it got washed out and thate gave me the third row but I still got nothing on the top row.

Yeah my BenQ monitor was set to full and I definetly got rid of some crushed blacks after setting the PS4 to full (tested on inFamous: First Light and MGS V: GZ).

Thanks again.

SZips

I haven't had my TV for too long and it's my first non-SDTV that I've owned. So I'm honestly not sure if mine should be set for Full or Limited RGB. I don't see anything that specifically shows a "Full" RGB type of setting within my TV options but it could be named weird for all I know.

It's a Samsung model UN39FH5000FXZA. Any help would be appreciated.

theWB27

I have a Sharp and I don't have any of the RGB nor full/limited options. I went ahead and set the PS4 to Full and adjusted a few settings and it still a pretty good difference.

I have a Sony KDL 42W670. I always had it on full and set my ps4 to auto but after reading this thread I set it to limited and left the ps4 on auto. now the colors look better to me

Does anybody know what the inherent setting is for the Sony 3D Playstation Display(the tv they put out)? It is not in the settings anywhere.

cjp

Under advanced picture settings you'll find "wide color". Standard is limited and wide is full.
I was using auto on my ps4 and it was not right though I figured this out via another thread.

My Bravia doesn't have a "wide colour" under advanced.

There's a Black Corrector, Adv. Contrast Enhancer, Gamma, Auto Light Limiter, Clear White, Live Colour and then White Balance.

All of them, apart from Gamma and White Balance can be set to Off, Low, Medium or High.

Banned
I haven't had my TV for too long and it's my first non-SDTV that I've owned. So I'm honestly not sure if mine should be set for Full or Limited RGB. I don't see anything that specifically shows a "Full" RGB type of setting within my TV options but it could be named weird for all I know.

It's a Samsung model UN39FH5000FXZA. Any help would be appreciated.
My Samsung LN40B610A doesn't seem to have any RGB settings.

HDMI Black Level is automatically set to Normal in Game Mode.

I got a samsung too. Go to picture settings>advanced>hdmi black level>Normal(Full) or Low(Limited)

Iorv3th

well damn I didn't expect that big of a difference after flipping the setting on the ps4. I'm playing on a monitor and yeah it was washed out before. Thanks OP.

Curufinwe

I got a samsung too. Go to picture settings>advanced>hdmi black level>Normal(Full) or Low(Limited)

So Normal is Full, and I just changed my PS4 from Automatic to Full and I do think it looks better...

Thanks!

Anyone have a good level to test this out on? Something from TLoU or AC4 would be good for me.

Marco1

Be careful, this is the same as setting the colur space setting on the xbone from TV to PC.
It's no different as I think people sometimes see the more vibrant picture and think it's better.
The full setting is for people using their PS4 on a PC monitor, nothing more.

I also have a Samsung and if I put the HDMI under PC label, is there any difference between setting both the TV and the PS4 to full or limited? Is there any recommendation other than set them both as the same?

Also, anyone with a Samsung (properly calibrated, or the must I can with my inability for such stuff) ever noticed how both the PS3 and the PS4 are way 'darker' than they should be? Especially the PS3 for me. I have no such issue with the Wii U though, the colors "scream" more. Killzone 2 and Uncharted 3 had some areas where I couldn't see shit without ramping up the brightness.

EDIT: Ops, sorry, I really thought I had my TV set for "full", but it was limited and that's why I was getting crushed blacks.

Be careful, this is the same as setting the colur space setting on the xbone from TV to PC.
It's no different as I think people sometimes see the more vibrant picture and think it's better.
The full setting is for people using their PS4 on a PC monitor, nothing more.

Typically, yes. However, many tvs also support 0-255 if it is properly configured. The issue to be careful with is movies work off of Rec.709 and thus black is defined at "16" (16-235). The problem here is that the PS4 was not switching to the proper RGB range. Some people swear by 0-255 for non-movie related things, like gaming. I personally haven't seen a difference at all.

virtualS

My PS4 is crushing blacks on automatic when connected to my SONY HX950 also set to automatic for all inputs. I'm running everything through a Denon 1912 though with a WiiU in the mix.

I need to either isolate the Wii U on a separate TV input and force the PS4 and TV to Full on the input connected to the Denon.. ARC should carry LPCM 5.1 from Wii U back to the Denon.

OR force Limited on PS4 and the TV input connected to the Denon so that the WiiU can remain connected to the Denon.

Edit: But then I've also got to consider the XRGB, 360 and PS3... pretty sure the Blu Ray player defaults to component through HDMI. Might give the XRGB its own input direct to TV like the Wii U and force the Denon chain to Limited.

Edit 2: Forget about everything I just wrote. Turns out Automatic works just fine and doesn't crushing blacks through the Denon to my SONY TV. I only thought it did. Turns out I have to increase brightness quite a lot higher for the PS4 than for other devices so as not to to crush blacks. Brightness needs to be set at 75 minimum with contrast at 50. Any lower and detail in dark regions are lost.

My Olevia doesn't have any RGB settings in its menu. Under its Picture sub section it has options to adjust Brightness, Tint, Sharpness, Contrast, Color and Color Temp. Anyone have any idea what should be adjusted?

Jomjom

Banned
I tried this. Both limited and full appear the same to me. I'm pretty sure automatic is setting to full though, becuase when I go between either limited and auto or full and limited I get a black screen transition as it switches gears, but going between ufll and auto does nothing. *shrug*

I was having problems seeing the first three boxes though, on both my ps4 and my pc connected to the same tv. I cranked the brightness on my tv from 52 to 54 and can now see the squares.

So at the end of this little test all I can guess is that my TV has full RGB but my brightness was slightly lower then optimal. Neat I guess, but I'm still confused about my PS4 not showing any difference between the settings.

If you are 100% certain that your TV's setting is set to Full, and changing the PS4 from limited to full back and forth is showing no difference, it could be because of two things:

1) Your TV's brightness setting is not calibrated quite right.

2) The brightness setting is at a point where you can only see the 16-235 range using either setting. The very dark boxes in that image go below the range or "blacker than black".

Just to make clear you don't necessarily want EVERY single box to be seen in that image. That does not mean its calibrated right. The test is whether you can see the boxes. At "limited" no matter how much you tweak your TV's brightness control they will not show up no matter what. I believe on my ISF calibrated Sony W800 the darkest box is barely visible. This will differ somewhat depending on the room lighting you are calibrating for.

On a separate matter here's a pro tip for everyone:TURN OFF ALL THAT BLACK ENHANCER, WHITE ENHANCER, MOTIONFLOW, FILL IN THE BLANK ENHANCER. It not only messes with color accuracy, but it will introduce a load of extra input lag.

Fitts

Thanks for this PSA. I split my PS4's time between a Panasonic plasma and an Asus monitor. When the PS4 is set to auto, the signal is transmitted fine to the monitor (full) but doesn't properly output to the TV. I keep the PS4 on auto and forced the TV into limited and all is well.

Just a tip for others that use more than one display for a single system.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Since it's been discussed in this thread a bit, the HDMI port I used the Samsung PC mode on died and my others don't seem to switch over like that one. Am I screwed or do I name it something other than just PC? I want to get it sorted out again.

Darvan

My Samsung LN40B610A doesn't seem to have any RGB settings.

HDMI Black Level is automatically set to Normal in Game Mode.

Curufinwe,

Samsung TV owner here myself if your TV is using Normal in game mode make sure your PS4 is using Full .

Normal is 0-255 PC encoded material

Low is for Video 16-235 encoded sources

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Crazy... i think mine might actually be the PS4 Full - TV limited setup as my blacks are like the blackest most black black black hole of darkness. It's very black, you see. All over everywhere (PT and certain night time levels of games get craaaaaazy dark.)

Will try this when I get home. Nice Thread Op.

Banned

ViciousDS

Banned
anyone know if the Asus IPS mx279h does full range? I could never find the answer to this.....and have no idea what image to use for calibration on my PS4's web browser.

Banned
So Normal is Full, and I just changed my PS4 from Automatic to Full and I do think it looks better...

Thanks!

Anyone have a good level to test this out on? Something from TLoU or AC4 would be good for me.
Try the sewer level in TLOU. AC has lots of bright settings and I can't remember too many dark moments.

Jomjom

Banned
Yep but most people think Full is better. It is actually recommended to set your TV to Limited for everything.

This is not true.

If a game is designed to utilize the whole range of 0-255 then it's better to set your TV and PS4 to Full. Setting both to Limited means that you will be missing the 0-15 and 236-255 of the spectrum.

If a game is only designed to utilize the limited range (16-235), which to my knowledge not many are since many games are made for PC and thus PC monitors (not to mention the majority of TVs nowadays support Full RGB), then limited is perfectly fine. But setting both at full would also be perfectly fine, the game just won't utilize the extra range.

Now for movies, it's more true that Limited is sufficient as most movies only utilize the limited RGB range.

Well shit, which is it?

He's mistaken. Look at my explanation.

Banned
Well shit, which is it?
General rule of thumb:

If gaming on a monitor, use Full.

If gaming on a TV, use Limited.

If you're running your PC into your TV, use Full or Limited but adjust the brightness using the brightness slider in the game menu (if the game doesn't offer that option, just use full).

My Bravia doesn't have a "wide colour" under advanced.

There's a Black Corrector, Adv. Contrast Enhancer, Gamma, Auto Light Limiter, Clear White, Live Colour and then White Balance.

All of them, apart from Gamma and White Balance can be set to Off, Low, Medium or High.

Bravia settings for Colour Range(Limited/Full) aren't under the picture settings. You need to go to the main home menu and choose screen settings. There should be colour output options in there.

As I said before, my 2013 W900A Bravia works perfectly when my PS4 is set to auto. The TV is set to Auto out of the box and I haven't touched it. The way to check is to start with the setting at Auto on PS4, then change to limited. If the screen then flashes black for a second then it means the TV was seeing Full already so there's no issue.

SeanTSC

It really doesn't matter what it's set to as long as the source and display use the same settings.

Yeah, having your TV and Device set both to Full and playing Limited Content looks *exactly the same* as playing Limited Content (which is all media content) on Limited settings. It doesn't change the image in any way and you only need to make sure your settings match up.

On the other hand if a game is using the full range then Full will look slightly better.

Jomjom

Banned
General rule of thumb:

If gaming on a monitor, use Full.

If gaming on a TV, use Limited.

If you're running your PC into your TV, use Full or Limited but adjust the brightness using the brightness slider in the game menu (if the game doesn't offer that option, just use full).

No, general rule of thumb is to use what your display and connected device support. Full is best if both display and device support it. Limited if not.

TVs and monitors are not so different anymore, last 3 TVs I've owned all support Full RGB just like my monitors.

Yeah, having your TV and Device set both to Full and playing Limited Content looks *exactly the same* as playing Limited Content (which is all media content) on Limited settings. It doesn't change the image in any way and you only need to make sure your settings match up.

On the other hand if a game is using the full range then Full will look slightly better.

Yup. Don't know if this analogy will help but people should think of it as a palette.

Full RGB offers the "Full" palette, while Limited offers a limited one missing about 30 shades or colors. An artist who does not care for those 30 missing colors can use the limited palette, but he can just as easily use the full palette, he simply just ignores the extra colors - the result is the same - his picture will not use any of those 30 extra colors.

However, an artist who wants to use every available color will not be able to do so if he is only given the limited palette. Say he wants to use this crazy looking green color that is one of the 30 extra colors. The best he would be able to do using the limited palette is to approximate that crazy green color with another green that is close, but not exactly like it.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
No, general rule of thumb is to use what your display and connected device support. Full is best if both display and device support it. Limited if not.

TVs and monitors are not so different anymore, last 3 TVs I've owned all support Full RGB just like my monitors.
This.
People should stop advising against Full RGB. If both devices support it you should use it.

SZips

Well, I checked and it was set to "Normal" on my TV and I changed the PS4 setting to Full. Changed it slightly but then again I also changed the picture from Dynamic to Normal so that changed things as well. Compared to Dynamic, now everything looks darker. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet though.

ViciousDS

Banned
Well, I checked and it was set to "Normal" on my TV and I changed the PS4 setting to Full. Changed it slightly but then again I also changed the picture from Dynamic to Normal so that changed things as well. Compared to Dynamic, now everything looks darker. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet though.

you probably need to calibrate your screen now changing the sharpness and contrast.

Banned
Keep the dynamic contrast. If uses more cooler colors instead of the warm "yellow" normal uses.

Mr Moose

I had my TV (Samsung UE40EH5000) set to around 35 brightness, after looking on here at the image I set it to 45 to see all of the boxes (the first one is pretty much black, $rgb(1,1,1))/#010101). I noticed the "auto" thing not working properly on my PS4 a while back so have always set it to full (until The Last of Us Remastered came along).

Jomjom

Banned
Yup. Another reason I chose limited. Some people just see the word "limited" next to "full" and think they're getting screwed lol.

Read that author's response to a guy in the comment section. His article is premised on an incorrect assumption. He assumes that TVs cannot show the full values (1-15) no matter what. The reality is that today most TVs CAN do exactly that.

In the past, the author is correct, most TVs displays were very different than monitors. Today that is no longer true.

Another incorrect assumption is that all TVs convert a full signal to limited (0-255 to 16-235). Additionally you never want your display to convert, extrapolate, guesstimate, translate, or uncompress something. It'll never be as good as receiving and displaying the raw signal -this is true for both video and audio.

Top Bottom