• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's Automatic RGB setting is unreliable, so double check your TV / PS4

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
My image becomes darker when set to low...surely that would indicate it has more black levels available? Or is it the opposite and the image is being brightened due to the upper ranges being increased? Samsung made this all very confusing.
It sure is confusing. But on normal you have a wider range while on low it would just crush the blacks. If you set your PS4 on full use normal on your Samsung.

I used to have a Samsung TV and that seems easy to find w/e setting I need to change. But my new bigger Philips tv has no such setting that I can see, and I have noticed in other games that the "don't see the item" brightness levels were screwy. Anybody has any ideas on a Philips TV?

Let's call that "Xbox One Mode" :D

attachment.php

Manac0r

Sod it, on my PS4 a lot more at the moment. Took the U3011 from the study and, well the difference is night and day.

also worth noting, Full isn't necessarily better or anything. just make sure the settings on your TV and your PS4 are the same

This. Actually after lots of investigation on the net I found that you should set your TV to limited (on my LG it is Black Level to Low).

I did a test with my TV and it is easy to notice. Set your TV to whatever you want, then from automatic change it to your TV setting, your TV should not flicker because it is supposed to be the same. If it flickers then yes Automatic is not doing its job.

I did my test and mine is working right, I have both TV set to Limited while PS4 to automatic, when I change the PS4 to limited it does not flicker. I tried the other way around and it was also working, strange OP.

PC monitors should be set to Full.

NoTacos

What to do if I play on a pc monitor? The RGB range isnt shown on settings or the box it came in...

Edit: Changed to Full RGB just to test it out. Color is definitely richer now, whereas it used to be a little faded.

Good post OP.

jaosobno

I have Sony KDL-42W706 and I see no difference between limited and full when I change it in options on PS4. Picture is completely identical.

Now, the colors look really vibrant already (tested on Killzone), and black looks really good, no matter the option.

I should also mention that I can't find full/limited option on my TV. No idea what's it called. As soon as I hooked up PS4 to the TV (it's a 2014 model), it immediately recognized PS4 and set picture and sound to game mode. It looks really amazing on this setting, so should I assume that it has RGB range set to full?

Percy

Banned
How do you miss this shit when you're designing your hardware ffs? A recommended setting too.

Thanks for the heads up OP, guess I know what the first thing I'll be doing when I get my PS4 is :mad:

bigb0ss

Banned
I've noticed black crush from the first day I got my PS4 (around launch) when it was on automatic. I set it to limited since then and it's all good. I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed yet.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Anyone got comparison pictures ?

SeanTSC

Btw, I don't think it's "broken", I just think it works differently than expected.

Seeing as that "Automatic" is Limited for some people and Full for others I think that rather than reading what the TV is currently set to it reads something off a default of the EDID of your TV or Receiver and sets it to that.

I tried this. Both limited and full appear the same to me. I'm pretty sure automatic is setting to full though, becuase when I go between either limited and auto or full and limited I get a black screen transition as it switches gears, but going between ufll and auto does nothing. *shrug*

I was having problems seeing the first three boxes though, on both my ps4 and my pc connected to the same tv. I cranked the brightness on my tv from 52 to 54 and can now see the squares.

So at the end of this little test all I can guess is that my TV has full RGB but my brightness was slightly lower then optimal. Neat I guess, but I'm still confused about my PS4 not showing any difference between the settings.

This is a great thing to let people know. I was trying to watch a movie I bought from Amazon Digital, and it was just absolutely crushing blacks when it was set to automatic which wasn't happening before. I set it to limited and it was back to it's beautiful detailed self again.

Yeah, setting it Automatic is iffy and borked.

Fbh

Ok so I'm confused now.

I have a 32 inch LG (32Le5500). I've had it for several years and it's decent.
So from what I gather the RGB range is called "black level" here. From a quick test I'm getting the best results by setting RGB on my Ps4 to limited and "Black level" to low.
Should that be right?

Also, reading this thread I just found out that changing the label on the HDMI ports somehow affects the image (I allways just asumed it was a minor aesthetic detail of changing the icon of that port).
There is a difference between setting it to game and PC but as someone who sucks at these things I can't put my finger on what it is. Does it somehow emulate a higher resolution when set to PC?. I made some tests in battlefield 4 and found some places where, for example, I'm looking at a house but if I set it to "PC" I actually also see a bit of the tree that is next to it (which I don't get to see if I have it set to "game")

Can anyone clarify this to me?

Remember, with TV's, when in doubt, set to Limited. Don't just set it to Full, it might not be in your TV's best interest to use FULL and can greatly compromise you picture until you can confirm check your settings for FULL support.

thatJohann

If you have a Samsung LED, go to settings, then change the input label of the HDMI input you're using to "PC", you'll see the screen flicker for a second, and when it comes back, prepare to see the purest, rawest, bestest, perfectest image, crystal clear HD. I can't go back to normal TV now.

You're welcome!

Once you do this, do you put your PS4 to limited or full? Or leave it at auto?

If you're using Samsung LED with HDMI labeled as PC, you should set Samsung tv setting to NORMAL and PS4 to FULL. The colors are richer than I've ever seen. Try it. :)

actually it's very easy to tell if your PS4 is set to Full RGB. the PS splash screen when you boot the console will go from grey(limited) to almost pitch black(full)

Aces&Eights

Edit: By the way do you have your HDMI black level set to low or normal? I figured this was the option that switches between standard and full output ratios.

Not sure as I'm at work. When you toggle through the options though you can easily see which ones look black and which ones are greyish.

Aces&Eights

Ok so I'm confused now.

I have a 32 inch LG (32Le5500). I've had it for several years and it's decent.
So from what I gather the RGB range is called "black level" here. From a quick test I'm getting the best results by setting RGB on my Ps4 to limited and "Black level" to low.
Should that be right?

Also, reading this thread I just found out that changing the label on the HDMI ports somehow affects the image (I allways just asumed it was a minor aesthetic detail of changing the icon of that port).
There is a difference between setting it to game and PC but as someone who sucks at these things I can't put my finger on what it is. Does it somehow emulate a higher resolution when set to PC?. I made some tests in battlefield 4 and found some places where, for example, I'm looking at a house but if I set it to "PC" I actually also see a bit of the tree that is next to it (which I don't get to see if I have it set to "game")

Can anyone clarify this to me?

it makes a huge difference. If you go read the posts from the first page I have detailed instructions how to do it and you will see the Gaffer I helped say how much better it looks now. :)

th4tguy

My Sony Bravia from 2010 should have this setting right? I don't see anything on the settings menus.
I have a Bravia too, and since it's Sony's premier HDTV I'd like to think this is not a concern for me, that Automatic is just fine.

Under advanced picture settings you'll find "wide color". Standard is limited and wide is full.
I was using auto on my ps4 and it was not right though I figured this out via another thread.

Sorry Op, but my PS4 works fine when set to automatic. Not sure whether the fact I have a Sony W900A 2013 TV makes a difference, but if I go to my PS4 video settings and switch from Automatic to limited the screen goes black for a second indicating that it's switching colour range. However if I switch from Automatic to full nothing happens. My TV is set to automatic.
Anecdotal of course. :)

PacinoMan

Banned
I would love to get some help with this. I reset my tv to factory settings, all the picture modes. I switched the RGB on my PS4 to full and the picture on the first page with the blocks is just black in the browser, I cannot see any squares.

I have Sony KDL-42W706 and I see no difference between limited and full when I change it in options on PS4. Picture is completely identical.

Now, the colors look really vibrant already (tested on Killzone), and black looks really good, no matter the option.

I should also mention that I can't find full/limited option on my TV. No idea what's it called. As soon as I hooked up PS4 to the TV (it's a 2014 model), it immediately recognized PS4 and set picture and sound to game mode. It looks really amazing on this setting, so should I assume that it has RGB range set to full?

Like I said, it seems the PS4's auto detect works with some TV models, while not with others (particularly those with computer monitors). If everything looks good on your end, mission accomplished. Don't fuck with it =)

My TV rgb settings range from 0 - 248. It's set to 128 on r, g and b now. Is it considered limited?

Set your PS4 to full. If the image seems like the blacks are causing you to lose detail, then switch back to limited.

Also, remember when in doubt - pick limited on PS4, or just put it back to automatic.

Set your PS4 to auto and / or limited? Do you see the squares? Choose the PS4 RGB setting that lets you see the squares. If on full, you can't see any squares, that means your blacks are crushed.

Btw, I don't think it's "broken", I just think it works differently than expected.

Seeing as that "Automatic" is Limited for some people and Full for others I think that rather than reading what the TV is currently set to it reads something off a default of the EDID of your TV or Receiver and sets it to that.

This could be true. Considering by default, my BenQ was set to limited. So maybe the PS4 ignores whatever adjustments you made and inherently goes with your TV's out of box settings.

The bottom line is that this is something important people should toy around with. Remember, learning is fun. At the end of the day - if you can't figure it out, fuck it, put your PS4 back on automatic and hope your PS4 is doing it's job.

But for the most part, most TV manufacturers make it pretty easy to check what your TV is set as. And if you can figure out for sure what your TV is set as, then you might as well specifically set your PS4 to whatever it is and not have to worry about this auto nonsense to begin with.

Set your PS4 to full. If the image seems like the blacks are causing you to lose detail, then switch back to limited.

Also, remember when in doubt - pick limited on PS4, or just put it back to automatic.

Set your PS4 to auto and / or limited? Do you see the squares? Choose the PS4 RGB setting that lets you see the squares. If on full, you can't see any squares, that means your blacks are crushed.
Thanks I don't notice any difference so I'm setting it back to automatic

I have a samsung 5 series and I changed the input name to PC and set my ps4 to full RGB and turned the sharpness down to 25 and turned off all the dynamic contrast, black tone ect. holy crap its like having a new TV. Praise the sun for this thread.

Is it a big deal that I can no longer select Game mode? I dont even know what that did before.

PacinoMan

Banned

I reset my picture modes, like I stated above, and on full the image with squares is completely black. When set to limited I can see the bottom rows but no more than that.

I reset my picture modes, like I stated above, and on full the image with squares is completely black. When set to limited I can see the bottom rows but no more than that.

Try increasing your TV's brightness setting.

When you set your PS4 to limited, an overly dark image should never happen. Which tells me you should increase your brightness a little bit. But not too much when things start looking washed out.

wow, thanks.

Just changed RGB to 'full' and wow! The blue of the background just got a whole lot more blue..

Reminds me of when I played PS3 on an HD TV for the first time.
..dem XMB sparkles :eek:..

Jomjom

Banned
Cant see the first square, the rest of the first row show up well though. Im good to go?

Yeah that means your tv supports full, and likely if you tweaked brightness/contrast it would probably show up, not that you want it to necessarily.

It does but I run everything through an onkyo AV reciever which is set to one input on the tv lol.

Ahh yeah cant do anything about that then.

Top Bottom