• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 embargo lifts today (06/11/20) MEGATHREAD

Rikkori

This guy thinks 4K native 60 with ray tracing is easy or something.

Nonsense review.
Seems like a fair review, calling out Sony for lying about what the PS5 is actually capable of. i.e. closer to a 2060 Super PC than any kind of beastly machine. Which is fine, it's cheaper, but also - let's not defend mega-corporations & their marketing deception campaigns and hurt the regular Joe & Janes in the process. Sony should have been honest from the start and said that this is a 1440p machine & the RT will be very basic and sparse.

shubik

Disappointed with the lack of quick resume - but I do wonder how much of an issue that actually is if the load from scratch times of things like Miles Morales are as leaked.

Yeah, I feel like this will be not an issue. The Spiderman leak was incredibly fast. And if you compare it to the quick resume of xbox it looks like we are in the same time frame

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Disappointed with the lack of quick resume - but I do wonder how much of an issue that actually is if the load from scratch times of things like Miles Morales are as leaked.

It's not an issue and I'm a bit confused why some people think it is. The load times are going to be lightening fast, even from cold boot, so having a resume is pointless, unless 2 - 5 seconds will kill you.

Although it is a yellowpress review with little to none knowledge it seems the sound stuff already is a gimmick only? But let´s wait for more reviews on that if it is or if they are just not the brightest candles on the cake like you would assume for people working at such an outlet to be.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Can someone make a thread titled: 'PS (add in number) 1st generation games don't live up to the fantasy we had of getting 3rd generation games immediately'

The mods then only have to edit the number every generation.

Last edited:

T-Cake

Only a single game in quick resume confirmed:

I'm not too upset that it only does a single game but it also sounds like exactly the same as it is now. i.e. it won't write the current state to the SSD so you can power the console off completely but you have to leave it running in low power mode.

Saying that, in the 7 years of PS4 usage it's never really been an issue. Just a slight prick on the conscience about wasting electricity.

And the most important bit - the PS4 game resume from standby is ROCK SOLID. It has never ONCE crashed or done anything weird with the sound or graphics.

Last edited:

HeadsUp7Up

Fuck. Only a single game in quick resume confirmed:

The PlayStation 5 is able to quick resume a game if you turn it off and come back to it later. Although the Switcher icon that some noticed on the Home menu is basically just a history button, showing you the last few games or apps that you used and starting them up from scratch if you want to play them again.

from the metro review.

noooo. This was one of my most requested features.
I hope it comes in the future. Maybe since storage space is at a premium in can be implemented down the road with a minimum amount of storage detected through the expansion drive.

Segslack

Neo Member
It's not an issue and I'm a bit confused why some people think it is. The load times are going to be lightening fast, even from cold boot, so having a resume is pointless, unless 2 - 5 seconds will kill you.
Wait 2 or 5 seconds is too much without quick resume, bit wait 7 with it is very good. Yeah

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Seems like a fair review, calling out Sony for lying about what the PS5 is actually capable of. i.e. closer to a 2060 Super PC than any kind of beastly machine. Which is fine, it's cheaper, but also - let's not defend mega-corporations & their marketing deception campaigns and hurt the regular Joe & Janes in the process. Sony should have been honest from the start and said that this is a 1440p machine & the RT will be very basic and sparse.

Did they ever actually claim the PS5 would run at 4k60 with RT on, though? Not saying they didn't, I can't remember.

Segslack

Neo Member
Wait 2 or 5 seconds is too much without quick resume, bit wait 7 with it is very good. Yeah

RT will always be basic and sparse, especially when next generation engines will come into play...on both consoles, and on 95% of the PCs out there. This ain’t the RT generation; Not even close. Regardless, sacrifices will always have to be made, always. It is not like you can not get 4K, 60 FPS and RT simultaneously...It is that you can only have them after dropping so many graphical options that that route would not be a pleasant one visually. Think small and less demanding indie projects; and not all of them. As to Sony lying about...about what again? How can you judge the capabilities of a machine that has not even launched, let alone received second and third generation titles? What claim did the company formulate, aside from the console having hardware based RT? Which comparison did they make to which card, when they did not even go into details on the hardware, limiting themselves to describing the basic features and the SSD/IO implementation? Which Joe and Jane got hurt, and in what fashion? What drug are you on, buddy?

Last edited:

Not to go completely off topic, but the 2060 Super claim is unsubstantiated and the numbers don't even line up to be peddling that. It's in fact closer to a 2070 Super. But that's neither here nor there. Sony did not claim the PS5 to be a 4K 60 uncompromised machine. That's what Microsoft claimed, so let's make that explicitly clear.

Furthermore, it's a machine that is absolutely capable of 4K consistently. Perhaps just at 30fps and not 60fps. But that's consoles. They typically run with 30fps and you know this. In this new age of every console gamer wanting higher framerates it'd be a 1440p 60fps and the XSX would be exactly the same, but 1440p doesn't sell.

Hunnybun

LOL wtf are you talking about?

When have Sony lied?

And almost all the games are native 4k, albeit at 30fps. And nobody ever expected advanced RT.

But apart from that, yeah, you're spot on.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Would like to see the quote where Sony said they'd be doing 4k RT in every game?

bitbydeath

You must have missed the part where they compare it to the XSX and state that XSX doesn’t look to be the most powerful console.

I suspect we will hear that a lot in todays reviews.

Jose92

[Membe
Yahoo's review:
The PS5 is the complete package when it comes to entertainment and gaming. With next-gen graphics, a huge list of fun games to work through, and a wealth of impressive features to improve your experience.

Owning a powerful gaming console like the PlayStation 5 can go some way to dealing with a lot of those issues, helping you stay connected, and giving you something engaging to do with your time away from the usual Netflix binges.

You can download apps like NOW TV, Netflix, and Sky Sports to turn it into an entertainment centre for all your needs.

If you’re a gamer you’ll love playing on the PS5, you’ll not think twice about picking up the new console, it’s a no-brainer.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/g...ebLiwl2zcv-UFuaL&_guc_consent_skip=1604664159

Last edited:
IgMyx.gif

reksveks

From what I've seen of the xbox's quick resume, games are taking 10-15 seconds to quick resume. PS5 loads games from scratch in less time than that. I wouldn't worry.
You can't really compare the two yet, the games that we have seen from the PS5 side in terms of cold boots are 1st party ones that have killed those engine/vendor splash screens. I think they will probably net out to be the same.

The Yahoo review goes: Well Microsoft does not have any single player focused games. Then proceeds to list PS4 games from last year. Alright lol. Other than that good review. Can't wait to try both consoles

TheDude108

Quick Resume looks nice and all but watching the Series X content yesterday on Giantbomb, Jeff made good points that more and more games now require some network connection to be maintained. Once that connection is lost, you get booted to the main menu and have to load up the save again anyway. The PS4 experiences this a lot too, so perhaps this was factored in to the decision to not include a feature like this, but rather prioritise fast cold boots.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
It is time, Give me that Bloodborne Patch. NOW

It's 9'Oclock on a Fridaaaay, our regular fish scuttles in
There's an older fish swimming next to me, making love to his .... I have no idea what the fish equivalent to Tonic and Gin would be.

Why is it that Sony always waits for Microsoft to go first?

It seems that Sony is always in constant fear of Microsoft. Don't understand why.

Because then everyone shits at MS and not on Sony.

MS was the first to admit that their games are cross-gen and everyone was bashing MS for that. Sony answered that they do believe in generations. Couple of months later they admit that they also have cross-gen games and suddenly no one cares.

Top Bottom