• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 embargo lifts today (06/11/20) MEGATHREAD

Not sure if this all feels like Sony don't do all the Pomp and Glamour of MS launches in general or they are just supremely confident, but it feels a bit low key.

I'm bloody looking forward to it though now all the Pubs are shut

Tripolygon

Banned
First review embargo broken. Says as quiet as Series X but no quick resume. The Switcher icon is just a history of last games you played and you can jump back into them. Also loved the DualSense.

Last edited:

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
Sony-PS5.jpg

Metro Gamecentral broke embargo, so we got our first review. Some quotes:
The PlayStation 5 is an impressive console and while many of its features, such as fast loading and the ability to run games at native 4K or 60fps, are replicated by the Xbox Series X the superior games line-up and the new features of the DualSense stand above anything Microsoft is offering so far.
Rather than what it looks like, the most important hardware question for the PlayStation 5 is how much noise it makes, given how distractingly loud the fan got with its predecessor. We’ve not got all the launch games in yet to test but nothing so far has caused it to make any unusual amount of noise. It seems to be at least as quiet as the Xbox Series X, with both being effectively silent when you’re sitting at a normal distance from the console.
Since there’s no game that is even close to pushing the capabilities of the Xbox Series X there’s no way to demonstrate that yet, and in any case we’re only able to talk about Astro’s Playroom and Spider-Man: Miles Morales at the moment – but both those games are far more impressive, and interesting, than anything we’ve seen on the Xbox Series X.

Last edited:
So only a single game in Quick Resume. Bummer.

from the review:

The PlayStation 5 is able to quick resume a game if you turn it off and come back to it later. Although the Switcher icon that some noticed on the Home menu is basically just a history button, showing you the last few games or apps that you used and starting them up from scratch if you want to play them again.

Such a lastgen OS.

Last edited:

TheDude108

Bluetooth headphone support would be amazing if true. Will still use my XM3's plugged in to the controller if not, but having it wireless would be a welcome bonus.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Heard this about some of the Series X reviews yesterday as well. Funny that.

Do people only want to be told what they want to hear or something?

If you are reviewing the product soley on what the competition does and has I don't have much faith in any review.

Has nothing to do with "hearing what I want to hear." Don't try to spin it.

Last edited:

CAB_Life

Solid review. I don’t think anyone is disputing the PS5 has a stronger exclusive catalog lineup (atm and likely over the course of the generation), either—or at least no one that isn’t a diehard fangirl for team X. I’m far more curious about the multiplat comparisons, though, since that’s essentially all I play.

Fake

Heard this about some of the Series X reviews yesterday as well. Funny that.

Do people only want to be told what they want to hear or something?

I guess so, but it's fine. Both consoles are quite great piece of hardware.

I super happy they really listen about the PS4/PRO noise.

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
Seems to be at least as quiet as the Series X, which is good news. I mean, of course, it better be, with it's size. So no surprises here. But you never know.

GHG

Gold Member
If you are reviewing the product soley on what the competition does and has I don't out much faith in any review.

Has nothing to do with "hearing what I want to hear." Don't try to spin it.

Both companies are releasing their new consoles within the same window so comparisons are inevitable.

What's also inevitable is the fact that the individuals with the most affinity to a particular platform will be given that platform to review. So the person more familiar with Xbox will get given the series X to review and the person more familiar will PlayStation gets given the PS5 to review.

It's then up to you to decide if the positives/negatives in the respective reviews matter to you or not. Just because a console review is positive about Xbox or positive about PlayStation (while drawing comparisons to the competition) it doesn't make it a "console warrior review".

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

Come on, the source of this explains that it's a Best Buy kiosk unit which has overheated in it's case. I would include that kind of detail to avoid some sort of console warrior spin-out. I'm not saying that's your intention, but, all the facts please.

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
The review is down people. I only got those quotes.
If you got more go ahead and post them.

Shmunter

It's not an issue and I'm a bit confused why some people think it is. The load times are going to be lightening fast, even from cold boot, so having a resume is pointless, unless 2 - 5 seconds will kill you.
I think the issue is, the game restarts back at menu. You then have to fiddle to load your save. The save will then be at a e.g checkpoint, not exactly where you left it.

Must admit, expected more here.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Pity the OP cherry picked the fanboy quotes.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I think the issue is, the game restarts back at menu. You then have to fiddle to load your save. The save will then be at a e.g checkpoint, not exactly where you left it.

Must admit, expected more here.

Oh, I see, yeah. I never thought of it that way.

About that.

It is astonishing to see both sides go such lengths for basically just feeling better with having bought something compared to people who bought something else. But if you think through it is more about spoiling the fun for others than having fun for oneself, so i guess its okay.

I for one love me some console war and all the trolling coming along with it, its great entertainment.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Posting shit like this out of context just to spread FUD should be be ban-able.
That's from a demo unit in a completely closed display case with ZERO air circulation.

Why? It's a genuine problem that is likely going to effect a large portion of early ps5 batches. Disgraceful of Sony to launch shoddy $500 hardware.

Top Bottom