• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Price leaks on amazon.fr (Up: Confirmed fake by amazon - see OP)

The idea behind the decision would be to accept a short term loss by adding the higher capacity SSD, but minimize that short term loss via the removal of the disc drive, which would ironically be the cause of the long term gains (i.e. the lack of a disc drive guarantees that all purchases will be made in the PS Store).

There just isn't any historical precedent for it. I'd be down for that though. I've bought like 2 physical games this gen and my lazy ass laments every time I need to get up to put the disc in.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I think a 100€ difference is too much. At 499€ for the disk version Sony is already losing money.

399€ would be an incredibly aggressive move, and extremely unlikely.

Didn't the ceo say in an interview that both SKUs are equal besides the disk?

They are both PS5, yes. Unless you meant something else? Only the price will be different.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's the Digital Edition, right? Hmm...

Well it seems a lot more realistic than some of the other placeholder prices. I can easily see one of the SKUs, even the Digital One, at that price. So we might be looking at a $450 - $550 price range between the two PS5 models after all.

In the picture we see the Blu-Ray edition for 499€.

Moogle11

Banned
Definitely more realistic than the 699 one. 499 always seemed kinda like the sweet spot for me.

Agreed. I see $499.99 disc and $449.99 digital.

More than that will be a tough sale for me. I can easily afford more, but it's kind of a mental barrier as I've never paid more than $399.99 for a console. Going more than $100 over that feels wrong as someone that doesn't care that much about graphics these days and is just forced to upgrade to keep playing new exclusives. Even more so if the launch window/year is as thin on games I want to play as the PS4/X1 were.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
There just isn't any historical precedent for it. I'd be down for that though. I've bought like 2 physical games this gen and my lazy ass laments every time I need to get up to put the disc in.
Sony has taken a loss on previous iterations of PlayStation; this wouldn't be a new course of action.

Birdo

Banned
It's depressingly ironic that the most expensive consoles of all time are being released in one of the worst economic recessions in history.

sinnergy

It's depressingly ironic that the most expensive consoles of all time are being released in one of the worst economic recessions in history.
Yup, I think it’s better to take a 100 euro loss and start thinking about volume that you sell with a lower price , but for most old CEO’s this is a alien concept .

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Well it seems a lot more realistic than some of the other placeholder prices. I can easily see one of the SKUs, even the Digital One, at that price. So we might be looking at a $450 - $550 price range between the two PS5 models after all.

If you look at the pic carefully, you can see the disc slot on the bottom right.

Mr Moose

Standard (disc) version.

kinda what I expected if true. and yeah, that's a normal version with the disc drive, which I would buy in a heartbeat on that price. I don't think Sony will want to repeat that whole $599 ordeal ever again to be honest. at least I hope not.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Make it €555! Missed opportunity there ... it better come with gt7, demon,s. Soul and ratchet and clank.

/Partially facetious

Jim Ryan did say in that CNN interview right after the Event a few days ago that Sony started intense discussions with their retailer partners, so I expect that we will see quite a few more major retailers putting placeholders for the PS5 and its estimated price online within the next few days. You can then make a pretty smart estimate of what the launch price will be, and right now everything seems to be pointing to a $499 launch (as for which system, we will have to wait and see - but I do expect it to be $499 for the disk version).

I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to online marketing/shopping and such. Does anybody know if we can deduce a potential preorder opening timeframe from the fact that amazon FR, UK and DE are already listing the product? Do preorders usually start like 2 days after, or could it still be months away from now?

Fox Mulder

The US govt will probably have another stimulus check thrown out before these are out though.

So, how do you think that the rumored two alternative storage capacities will be distributed between the regular PS5 and the digital-only PS5?

Do you think each version will be available in both capacities (825GB and 1.65TB)?

Or do you think that the digital-only version will have the higher capacity (1.65TB) and the regular version will have the lower capacity (825GB)? This would incentivize people to buy the digital-only version, which Sony would want because they'd earn more money per purchased game due to digital sales producing more profits than physical sales.

Ryan already said the digital one is 100% the same except for the disc drive, there isn't any other differences. The digital one is there to offer a lower priced alternative. I'm going with the digital one, I haven't bought a physical disc in years. I would love larger storage but I already have an external SSD on my PS4 so I'll just swap games back and forth from there. I do think there is a SLIGHT chance they knock $100 off the price of the digital console because every game will be purchased digitally so they'll get a larger chunk of each game sold that way, people who buy digital are also likely to be higher volume buyers so it would not only be just a matter of selling a few games to make that money back but the person who is locked in and not able to trade games in etc is going to continue to be a part of the PlayStation ecosystem and paying for PS+ for years to come.

Shin

Banned
If true this basically confirms $499 for the standard model. Digital edition had to be $449.
It will be interesting if they both cost the same.
With rumblings of a "S" version, a price war might be upon us - great for all gamer's.

GamerEDM

Banned
l8spuY5.gif

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Believable, at least.

That’s a harsh price tag for the Euro crowd, though, even without taking the consequences of Covid-19 into account.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I think a 100€ difference is too much. At 499€ for the disk version Sony is already losing money.

399€ would be an incredibly aggressive move, and extremely unlikely.

They are both PS5, yes. Unless you meant something else? Only the price will be different.

SSD size.

Some people are speculating the digital edition will have the larger SSD

Thirty7ven

Banned
SSD size.

Some people are speculating the digital edition will have the larger SSD

Doesn’t make sense. Larger SSD would mean a much larger SSD (twice the size to be exact), which would make the digital version PS5 by far the more expensive one. It would be a piss poor value proposition..

The point is to make it 50€(At least) cheaper, knowing they will make much more money from that user than the typical user who buys physical.

It will be interesting if they both cost the same.
With rumblings of a "S" version, a price war might be upon us - great for all gamer's.

How would that be interesting? It would be nonsense.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
A

Awww did you miss out on all the free goverment checks the last 3 months?
Or did you blow it all?
You should have just hold on to it till release

Shin

Banned
How would that be interesting? It would be nonsense.
What a stupid question to ask, use your head or at least try.
Why are companies competitive, what can you as a consumer possibly gain from price drop(s) or aggressive pricing?

Thirty7ven

Banned
What a stupid question to ask, use your head or at least try.
Why are companies competitive, what can you as a consumer possibly gain from price drop(s) or aggressive pricing?

Considering the post you were replying to, it seemed you were implying that it would be interesting if the digital and the disk version were to be the same price.

Hence why I asked.

Top Bottom