• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Price leaks on amazon.fr (Up: Confirmed fake by amazon - see OP)

Jtibh

Banned
I don't live in the US. No free cheques for me.
Well fuck that sucks.
Dont worry. Over here on my end as of this week the goverment threatens with 5k fines and jail time for fraudulent claims of covid relief funds.
There is always a catch i guess. Nothings for free.

ManaByte

Oh you got banned i wonder why.

But at 399 for x i can imagine pc owners will buy one just to strip out the cpu and gpu cuz they get of for half the price this way

You can look at the ban page. The guy was an alt.

And they can’t strip out the CPU and GPU when it’s a SOC. The thing doesn’t have a PCIe card in it.

Last edited:

Joey.

I would be so happy with a $499 USD PS5 even though that kind of means it'll prob be $599 here in Canada.

But I honestly just can't see it.

I still think the full edition will be AT LEAST $599, and the digital version to be at least $499. I think Sony may really push the digital version even if them removing the Blu-ray drive only reduces costs by ~$20 because I think they'll want to push more people to go digital. I think they make more money that way. So its possible they'll take a hit here to make more money there. Or, they're both the same and you get like 3-6 months of free PS Plus or something.

I think its very possible that we may even see $699 numbers going around.

I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

GiJoint

Here where I live, New Zealand it’s going to be more pricey than the PS4 which launched at a cheap $650, in comparison the PS3 from what I recall for the 60gb model was $1100 or so at launch and the PS2 was $999.
I can see the PS5 at around $899 for disc and $850 for digital for me.

I’m wondering if in the US they just take the hit on the digital version and drop it $100 below the disc one, even though a blu ray drive probably costs fuck all to make, to try and counter Microsoft, because Microsoft have been very clear they will not lose on price. Like a $499 disc $399 digital range.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
$499 and they're in business. Anything higher and they'll struggle to pull the average consumer like they did early in the PS3 days. Especially with the year we've had.

It will be interesting if they both cost the same.
With rumblings of a "S" version, a price war might be upon us - great for all gamer's.

That's one reason I think (wishful thinking? LOL) the digital PS5 may actually be $100 cheaper. PSN sales bring Sony the platform holder fee and likely the retailer fee as well which gives them roughly $22 for 3rd party games instead of the $7 they are estimated to get for physical. I think the people who go all digital are more hardcore gamers and will end up buying enough games at launch to make up for that loss already. It gives them a great buffer if MS tries to undercut them by $100 and it makes the Series S if it ends up being a real thing less appealing. Why buy a half way next gen console for $300 if you could possibly get a fully next gen console for $400?

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
That's one reason I think (wishful thinking? LOL) the digital PS5 may actually be $100 cheaper.
UHD drive cost about $25-32, at best the difference would be $50 less compared to the one with. That's the price IHS pinned for a drive in XO, should be about the same price Sony will pay.

I don't think even Sony knows for certain what the final price is until they have a better understanding of what MS is going to do and Lockhart.

Hence why they didn't go ahead with the price reveal at the Sony event.

Last edited:

GetemMa

Yup, but also Sony probably will want to throw in a bigger hard drive given its an all digital console.

I don't understand why people think this. Both consoles will require identical amounts of storage for any game.

Regardless of whether you choose to download the game directly from the PS Store or install it from a disc, each and every MB of data will need to be transferred to the PS5 SSD for it to run the game otherwise this whole I/O controller+SSD=super console hype means absolutely nothing. Developers can't dump data directly from the SSD and into the VRAM (which is what the PS5 allegedly does) if you are streaming data from an extremely slow disc drive first. All the data must be in storage before you start the game, the disc is for offline DRM purposes and the ability to share. So why would Sony assume somebody who is downloading the game would require more space than someone who is using the Disc version of PS5 because the digital user wouldn't be using more data on the SSD than someone using the disc.

My guess is that both consoles will cost $500 because Sony will still want to keep things nice with retail outlets and it fattens their profit margin on at least one console, if there is any margin at all.

Last edited:
T
It doesn't make sense. The price difference between drive or no drive is too small.
I agree. If they go for $399 for the digital version the internet will be running insane for months lol it will also put them in the same position they were when they announced PS4 at $399 I feel. Basically locking them in for the generation leaders. Still, they've been market leaders for quite sometime regardless of price so we'll see.

Journey

Banned
Shit, I was hoping $500 for the main PS5, not the digital, no way I’m getting that, I need my disc option.

Idk. What was considered outrageous in 2006 or whatever will not necessarily be the same today. There's also just the reality that Sony can't afford to take a huge loss on these.
Back in 2006 there wasn't a worldwide virus pandemic. Imagine going anywhere near $600 in the current climate.
No one would want to stump up that kind of money for a console, myself included.
It's going to be either $499 or $549. Call it a hunch if you will.

If the only differences between the two SKUs is the UHD disk drive, then the BOM difference between the two is $20-$25. But that doesn't translate to a $20-$25 cheaper for the digital version, which could be $50 - $100 cheaper at launch.

Personally, I'm hoping the regular, disk version will launch at $499, and the digital version will have 2x hard drive (1,650 GB) for the same launch price at $499 or slightly more expensive at $550.
No, the additional ssd will add another 100 at least.
The digital edition can be sold at 100 less because Sony will make thier mony back from digital sales as the user has one and onlyone choice. Digital edition might end up more profitable than disc version even though they will sell it at loss.

Agreed. I see $499.99 disc and $449.99 digital.

More than that will be a tough sale for me. I can easily afford more, but it's kind of a mental barrier as I've never paid more than $399.99 for a console. Going more than $100 over that feels wrong as someone that doesn't care that much about graphics these days and is just forced to upgrade to keep playing new exclusives. Even more so if the launch window/year is as thin on games I want to play as the PS4/X1 were.
That will make digital dead on arrival. No, they can sell it at $100 less because it is limited to digital sales which will earn sony more money. Digital might end up the most profitable of the two even it is sold initially at a loss.

Moogle11

Banned
That will make digital dead on arrival. No, they can sell it at $100 less because it is limited to digital sales which will earn sony more money. Digital might end up the most profitable of the two even it is sold initially at a loss.

I doubt they’ll do that as their retail partners will bitch or refuse to carry it as they make more money selling physical games than hardware.

I do agree with your point though. And maybe they just won’t give a fuck as brick and mortar retail is a dinosaur anyway and they can sell hardware online if stores balk at carrying it.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Question For Everyone:

Hypothetically, if Sony were to sale the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition with a 1.65TB SSD and the regular edition with a 825GB SSD, which one would you get?

If you are actually planning on getting the regular edition, would the double amount of storage convince you to change your mind and get the Digital Edition?

Psykodad

Banned
This. Besides, only a €50 euro difference makes no sense. Might as well just release a single model then.

GenericUser

I'd be totally ok with that. I expected an even higher price tbh. The super charged M2 SSD alone is pretty pricey. Just look up the prices for comparable PC harddrives. Now show the launch games sony, so that I can decide whether or not to buy your newest toy right away or wait a couple of month.

Last edited:
Question For Everyone:

Hypothetically, if Sony were to sale the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition with a 1.65TB SSD and the regular edition with a 825GB SSD, which one would you get?

If you are actually planning on getting the regular edition, would the double amount of storage convince you to change your mind and get the Digital Edition?

Sony may launch with the PS5 DE having 1.65TB, but then they will eventually have the option available for the disk version as well, either at launch or down the line. In my case, I would have to wait for the 1.65TB disk version, since I have a large PS4 and PS3 physical collections.

Hinedorf

Banned
So half the cost of my PC graphics card........there should be zero complaints for what Sony is giving you both in hardware discounts and IP. Still wont be Day 1 buyer but when they release a worthwhile triple a game I wan't I'll be ready.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Sony may launch with the PS5 DE having 1.65TB, but then they will eventually have the option available for the disk version as well, either at launch or down the line. In my case, I would have to wait for the 1.65TB disk version, since I have a large PS4 and PS3 physical collections.
You dodged the question, you sly fox. What if a regular edition with a 1.65TB SSD were to never be released.

Last edited:
You dodged the question, you sly fox. What if a regular edition with a 1.65TB SSD were to never be released.

Why do you have to go and make things so hard for me??? Sigh! It would have to be the regular, paltry 825 GB disk version for the backward compatibility with my large collection of physical games.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Why do you have to go and make things so hard for me??? Sigh! It would have to be the regular, paltry 825 GB disk version for the backward compatibility with my large collection of physical games.

Okay, I now see that backwards compatibility is very important for you because you have a large library of physical copies of games.

I want the regular edition too but not necessarily because I have a large library of physical copies of PS4 Games; I want to be able to consolidate gaming and my playback of 4K Blu-ray discs to one machine (I currently use a dedicated 4K Blu-ray player, since Xbox One X's playback of 4K Blu-ray dIscs is inferior according to reviews).

As for the PS4 titles that I've bought, they're practically evenly split between physical and digital copies of games.

PS4 Games That I've Bought Physically

01. Batman: Arkham Knight (sold to GameStop then bought a "physical" copy for PC [the disc's purpose was simply to redeem a digital copy via Steam])

02. Bloodborne

03. Grand Theft Auto V (sold to GameStop then bought a digital copy for PC)

04. Horizon Zero Dawn

05. Infamous: Second Son (sold to GameStop)

06. Killzone: Shadow Fall (sold to GameStop)

07. The Last of Us Remastered (sold to GameStop in 2014 but bought a digital copy last month)

08. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

09. The Order: 1866

10. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

PS4 Games That I've Bought Digitally

01. Battlefield 4

02. Days Gone

03. Death Stranding

04. God of War (2018)

05. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

06. Mortal Kombat X

07. Red Dead Redemption 2

08. Marvel's Spider-Man

09. The Last of Us Part 2 (pre-ordered via PlayStation Store)

10. Uncharted: The Last Legacy

11. Watch Dogs 2​

My most recent PS4 purchases have been digital and I think that I'll continue this trend with the PS5.

Buying games digitally is pretty much the only option on PC, so I've gotten use to doing so on all platforms.

I'd prefer physical copies due to the assurance that they'd normally provide in regard to never losing access to games, but most games require huge patches that have to be downloaded digitally anyway, which eliminates the advantage that physical copies would otherwise provide.

Last edited:
Sony will definitely sell the digital version at much lower price to lock as many people as possible to their online store

They will get their money back after selling few games anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if all digital is a 100 or even 150 bucks less than the regular one.

Last edited:

sendit

That's the Digital Edition, right? Hmm...

Well it seems a lot more realistic than some of the other placeholder prices. I can easily see one of the SKUs, even the Digital One, at that price. So we might be looking at a $450 - $550 price range between the two PS5 models after all.

Definitely the standard disc version.

UHD drive cost about $25-32, at best the difference would be $50 less compared to the one with. That's the price IHS pinned for a drive in XO, should be about the same price Sony will pay.

You left off the rest of the post which explained why I was thinking it may happen, it's not about the cost of the disc drive it's about the additional money they'll make when every game sold on digital consoles will be through PSN and not a retailer.

Top Bottom