• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 vs PS4 graphics comparison NBA 2K21

VulcanRaven

Next-Gen Graphics Comparison NBA 2K21 PS5 vs PS4 Gameplay:

The difference is huge. The PS4 version doesn't look very good in comparison. Are they trying to make the last-gen versions look bad on purpose or something?
4MiLnHJ.png

Last edited:

Stuart360

I have 2020 on PC and it doesnt look close to as bad as this video is making it out to be, unless the console versions really are that much worse than PC.

MaddMatt

Neo Member
The coach’s puppet hands made me laugh. It looks great, but I can’t wait until the next leap in animation.

theddub

Banned

The difference is huge. The PS4 version doesn't look very good in comparison. Are they trying to make the last-gen versions look bad on purpose or something?
4MiLnHJ.png

The suit makes all the difference 😜

MiguelItUp

It's almost like the video is trying to make the console version look THAT much worse. I'm assuming the other footage I've seen was from PC and it definitely didn't look that rough.

wolywood

The PS5 version is impressive (the Lillard reaction shot looks almost photorealistic), but why can developers still not make human eyes look like anything more than a 3 year old's cut out random shapes from a piece of white construction paper?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
NBA and 2K have the responsibility to improve graphics this isn't Madden and that's what people love about 2K.

MastaKiiLA

Were they using the PC settings on high, for those PS4 commercials? Because the PS4 version legit looked like this:

I know this, because I have PC 2k20, and I remember going through videos for tips, and thinking that the PS4 versions of the game looked like ass relative to what even my laptop was putting on screen.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I know this, because I have PC 2k20, and I remember going through videos for tips, and thinking that the PS4 versions of the game looked like ass relative to what even my laptop was putting on screen.

All I can say is that I have played 2k18 on an x1 vcr and the character models had better skin shading and sweat effects than what 2k is showing on the PS4 with the next iteration.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Woukd be nice if they had more in game shots in the trailer, from the standard side view. All these close ups of faces really means nothing to me, 99.9% of time is played from far away.

Maybe my eyes have been upgraded to next gen already once I got my pre-order in but I was playing 2k20 only a few weeks ago and don't remember it looking anywhere near as bad as the PS4 footage here.

DaGwaphics

Stop it.... NBA 2K21 on next gen looks much better than NBA 2k14

Just look at the jersey and short physics in the NBA 2k14 trailer versus the 2k21 PS5 trailer

No one is saying that it doesn't. The PS5 version looks nice, amazing even. What we are saying is that the ever increasing diminishing returns do show here (even from the 2k14 clip), PS5 looks better 100% but there shouldn't be nearly as much of a difference as there is. 2K has buggered the current-gen releases to make the next-gen version of 2k21 appear more cutting edge (if those shots from ps4 are real, did these come from 2k?).

Last edited:
Definitely feels like there is some fuckery about in the OP video. I don't have 2k20 on my PS4 pro but the example of 21 on ps4 looks like a PS3 game.

Faenrir

4MiLnHJ.png

Bullshot. Just look at 2k20 shots lol.

Stop it.... NBA 2K21 on next gen looks much better than NBA 2k14

Just look at the jersey and short physics in the NBA 2k14 trailer versus the 2k21 PS5 trailer
Pretty sure the point was to prove the ps4 game actually looks much better than that fake shot lol

I have 2020 on PC and it doesnt look close to as bad as this video is making it out to be, unless the console versions really are that much worse than PC.
Well the PC version looks better than the PS4 ;)

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
Legit question, is the PS4 2020 version better than 2021?
I mean, all the "downgrade" posts, do you have anything to back it up?

Never played anything NBA after NBA Jam in the 90's. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

How many people in here even have NBA2k20, much less the PS4 version? PC version looks better than the PS4 version. PS5 version looks better than the PC version of 2k20. That PS4 video people keep posting looks like the PC version, not any of the PS4 videos I've seen so far of NBA2k20. PS4 version of 2k20 looks fairly bland. I don't think there's any trickery at work here, other than maybe PS4 commercials using the PC footage on high settings, which I don't think was unusual the last few years.

DaGwaphics

Legit question, is the PS4 2020 version better than 2021?
I mean, all the "downgrade" posts, do you have anything to back it up?

Never played anything NBA after NBA Jam in the 90's. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

We don't, no. If that comparison footage is fake (which it probably is, good chance that is PC footage on low or something), than 2k21 will look just as good on PS4 as earlier versions. If the PS4 footage is real, than 2K downgraded PS4 on purpose. LOL

Either way (fake or real) it's funny that whoever posted the footage thought they had to gimp the "PS4" version to show up the PS5. I think the PS5 version could stand on its own.

Here is a look at PS4 2k14 from an actual PS4

The PS5 version blows it away, no question. But the models do have some skin shading details, reflective sweat, etc. The PS4 in the contentious shots looks more like PS360 era softness.

Edit: I don't have 2k21 on current-gen systems and it is difficult to use youtube for comparison since footage could be 1x or PS4 pro, the old 2k14 footage is guaranteed to be base model so that is why I used it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom