• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry is doing an Avatar console vs PC comparison using Performance Mode PS5 vs PC Unobatanium Settings

vkbest

It's not just NVIDIA, you mongrel. FSR Quality at 4K is also 1440p internal or a 67% resolution scale. Same for Intel with XeSS. They all use the same standards and have for years to the point it's no longer necessary to state the internal resolution because everyone and their dog knows it.

You tried to frame that as if they were trying to drag consoles through the mud. Use your brain instead.
You are so stupid you don’t understand what a example it is. The point is, average people don’t know, 4k DLSS/FSR/xxx Quality it’s not native 4k. And multiple console games have equivalent resolutions and DF is not using that terminology.

Last, don’t worry my ass is smarter than your brain

JimboJones

You are so stupid you don’t understand what a example it is. The point is, average people don’t know, 4k DLSS/FSR/xxx Quality it’s not native 4k. And multiple console games have equivalent resolutions and DF is not using that terminology.

You think the average person is watching digital foundry? It's a tech channel for videogame technology enthusiasts.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
DF uses the 60fps mode because they are comparing 60fps console to 60fps PC. 30fps is not the standard for PC gaming so jacking up the game to 8k and pumping up DLSS from DLSS Quality to pure DLAA, just to get 30fps to compare to the consoles at 30fps would be silly and would make the game look even better than it ready does at DLSS Quality.
So 30 fps is not a standard for gaming and yet the 4090 is? Again, hes running settings that cant even be enabled in the game. The 4090 is owned by less than 1% of steam users. Who the fuck is running this game at unobtanium settings at 60 fps?

This is NOT a comparison to show what PC gamers would typically play. If it was, he would be using a 3060 which currently leads the steam charts and is weaker than the PS5. This comparison is to show the game running at its BEST on PC. On card owned by 0.9% of pc gamers. And thats ok. I would love to see that comparison. But then he should choose the best version on consoles to compare it again. If its the XSX or PS5 or quality mode.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
You are so stupid you don’t understand what a example it is. The point is, average people don’t know, 4k DLSS/FSR/xxx Quality it’s not native 4k.
Average people don't watch DF videos. DF has been doing this for years. It's no dig at consoles.
And multiple console games have equivalent resolutions and DF is not using that terminology.
Because those terminologies don't really exist on consoles. There is usually no FSR Performance or Quality. You'll get a Performance and a Quality Mode and the base resolution will be at whatever the devs decide to set it to. Then FSR or another upscaling method will be used to reach an output resolution. DF has to specify the base resolution because it varies a lot on consoles as I said before. It can be anything.

On PC, pretty much only 3 resolutions are relevant; 1080p, 1440p, and 4K. 99% of benchmarks will be run at those resolutions. You don't need to beat someone over the head with this. DF aren't the only channel not mentioning the internal resolution of the reconstruction when the target resolution and quality setting are known. Hell, sometimes they even do for uncommon choices such as FSR/DLSS Performance with a 1080p output because the internal resolution will be 540p, which is incredibly low.

Clearly. That's why your puny brain is hurting trying to comprehend why big bad DF is trying to make consoles look bad.

Last edited:

Gaiff

So 30 fps is not a standard for gaming and yet the 4090 is? Again, hes running settings that cant even be enabled in the game. The 4090 is owned by less than 1% of steam users. Who the fuck is running this game at unobtanium settings at 60 fps?

This is NOT a comparison to show what PC gamers would typically play. If it was, he would be using a 3060 which currently leads the steam charts and is weaker than the PS5. This comparison is to show the game running at its BEST on PC. On card owned by 0.9% of pc gamers. And thats ok. I would love to see that comparison. But then he should choose the best version on consoles to compare it again. If its the XSX or PS5 or quality mode.
Isn't he making a video that will compare them? If yes, why are you raging before the thing is even out?

For anyone here still who wonders why people online get so obsessed over social media personalities to the point where it doesn't feel healthy, just remember that people on page 1 of this thread are literally analyzing and overemphasizing small facial expression changes of a guy who's job is to simply critique the graphical and performance quality of video games.

Gaiff

Who is raging? I suggest you go read my OP again.
This thread is clearly meant to go after Alex. Why pretend the contrary? If there's a video coming up, wait for it before taking out the torches and pitchforks. You did the same thing with the RE4 and R&C video and I had to tell you both times a more in-depth comparison was coming up because you were complaining about their methodology.

SlimySnake

This thread is clearly meant to go after Alex. Why pretend the contrary? If there's a video coming up, wait for it before taking out the torches and pitchforks. You did the same thing with the RE4 and R&C video and I had to tell you both times a more in-depth comparison was coming up because you were complaining about their methodology.
I dont remember posting a thread about his RE4 or Ratchet comparisons. But i am sure i had good reasoning.

I am discussing a tweet he made showing the PS5 in Performance mode and PC using unobtanium settings. You keep accusing me of raging and going after Alex without discussing the actual topic. Do you think its disningeous or not? If not, state your peace and move on. No one wants the meta commentary.

I do love how you quoted me fucking destroying the 60 fps standard PC argument and decided to gaslight me instead of actual rebutting my argument.

Vick

For anyone here still who wonders why people online get so obsessed over social media personalities to the point where it doesn't feel healthy, just remember that people on page 1 of this thread are literally analyzing and overemphasizing small facial expression changes of a guy who's job is to simply critique the graphical and performance quality of video games.
This was indeed pretty funny, but:

walter white GIF

I'm obsessed over a dude I've mentioned today for the first time in three and half years of GAF.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Never was. Is to show what each machine can provide.

They know google.com
precisely. then he should use the ps5s quality mode vs the unobtanium mode.

he uses the volumetric lighting example in the third pic to show how much better it is on pc. great. the difference is massive, but we know from past experience that volumetric lighting is one of the first things to get downgraded in a consoles performance mode. is that truly showing what the machine can provide?

Gaiff

I dont remember posting a thread about his RE4 or Ratchet comparisons. But i am sure i had good reasoning.
Your reasoning was identical to this one; you didn't bother understanding the context. Once again, this seems part of an upcoming piece where he will do a full comparison, likely with optimized settings and what he usually does. If it stops at that and he's just here to show how much better PC is, then go nuts.
I am discussing a tweet he made showing the PS5 in Performance mode and PC using unobtanium settings. You keep accusing me of raging and going after Alex without discussing the actual topic. Do you think its disningeous or not? If not, state your peace and move on. No one wants the meta commentary.
A single tweet that very likely will be part of a full video.
I do love how you quoted me fucking destroying the 60 fps standard PC argument and decided to gaslight me instead of actual rebutting my argument.
Because I didn't give a shit about that part of your argument and you have no idea what gaslighting means if that's the word you're using.

I held you to a higher standard than the usual GAF poster who gets mad the moment DF gets mentioned.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
precisely. then he should use the ps5s quality mode vs the unobtanium mode.

he uses the volumetric lighting example in the third pic to show how much better it is on pc. great. the difference is massive, but we know from past experience that volumetric lighting is one of the first things to get downgraded in a consoles performance mode. is that truly showing what the machine can provide?
The quality mode runs like poop, so PS5 loses either way.

SlimySnake

Your reasoning was identical to this one; you didn't bother understanding the context. Once again, this seems part of an upcoming piece where he will do a full comparison, likely with optimized settings and what he usually does. If it stops at that and he's just here to show how much better PC is, then go nuts.

A single tweet that very likely will be part of a full video.

Because I didn't give a shit about that part of your argument and you have no idea what gaslighting means if that's the word you're using.
And when he does that comparison, we can discuss it then. You continue to bullshit about me going after alex and me raging, telling me to wait for the final video when I literally said this in the OP.
Thought this was funny and not just because he's using the Unobtanium settings that literally cant be accessed from the menu unless you launch the game with different parameters, but because he's using the PS5's Performance mode which downgrades settings further when compared to the Quality mode. It actually looks pretty good in comparison shots so maybe he ends up praising the console versions in his final video, but still what a bizarre comparison.

Stick to the topic. You still keep skirting whether or not its a disingenious comparison and i will keep calling you out on it.

Gaiff

And when he does that comparison, we can discuss it then. You continue to bullshit about me going after alex and me raging, telling me to wait for the final video when I literally said this in the OP.
Because I know your post history when it comes to DF. You look for reasons to nitpick and shit on them so I don't buy for one second that this OP was made in good faith.
Stick to the topic. You still keep skirting whether or not its a disingenious comparison and i will keep calling you out on it.
And I'm sticking to the topic...which is your disingenuous OP ironically enough.

SlimySnake

Because I know your post history when it comes to DF. You look for reasons to nitpick and shit on them so I don't buy for one second that this OP was made in good faith.

And I'm sticking to the topic...which is your disingenuous OP ironically enough.
Still didnt answer the question.

And now my OP about someone being disingenuous is now being labelled disingenuous. thats literally gaslighting lmao.

This was indeed pretty funny, but:

walter white GIF

I'm obsessed over a dude I've mentioned today for the first time in three and half years of GAF.
No gripes against you, and personally, I'm perfectly fine with you or others doing this(especially since you're self aware about it). I mainly like to point it out because of the other ones who lack self awareness. It's the same as when people here make fun of other sites for getting upset at certain social media figures, but if you put the name Jason Schrierer in a GAF thread title people collectively lose their minds.

Sometimes it just feels good to put up the mirror so that they can understand what they're actually seeing and doing.

Gaiff

Still didnt answer the question.
Dude, you don't give a fuck about anyone's opinion regarding this. Here is the last part of your post:

Valid comparison? Disingenious? I know Alex is beloved around here and want to know what Alex's biggest fan club has to say about this.

And it's clear as day you don't actually give a fuck what anyone thinks about it. You saw the tweet. You didn't like it. You then posted it on GAF, knowing full well how much people "love" DF and you grabbed your popcorn and waited. You were never interested in an honest and objective discussion so why the fuck would I answer you? The way you framed the OP makes it clear as day what your intent was.
And now my OP about someone being disingenuous is now being labelled disingenuous. thats literally gaslighting lmao.
No, this isn't what gaslighting is. Look up the definition. Don't be dishonest and pretend that you want to genuinely discuss this.

And yes, there will be a video. Probably the usual stuff. Comparing optimized settings, Performance Mode, Max settings PC, Scalability, etc. The usual and not just this single tweet but I suspect you already knew this.

OverHeat

« generous god »
What would be nice with those comparison is if Dev would put a setting name console or original like GOW

Gaiff

What would be nice with those comparison is if Dev would put a setting name console or original like GOW
Yeah, I really hate that Sony stopped doing that. Console settings are like 90% the same as Alex's or other outlets' optimized settings. You can usually crank up the AF to 16x instead of the ugly 4x that they have but besides that, they're similar. Would save a lot of time.

SlimySnake

Dude, you don't give a fuck about anyone's opinion regarding this. Here is the last part of your post:

And it's clear as day you don't actually give a fuck what anyone thinks about it. You saw the tweet. You didn't like it. You then posted it on GAF, knowing full well how much people "love" DF and you grabbed your popcorn and waited. You were never interested in an honest and objective discussion so why the fuck would I answer you? The way you framed the OP makes it clear as day what your intent was.

No, this isn't what gaslighting is. Look up the definition. Don't be dishonest and pretend that you want to genuinely discuss this.

And yes, there will be a video. Probably the usual stuff. Comparing optimized settings, Performance Mode, Max settings PC, Scalability, etc. The usual and not just this single tweet but I suspect you already knew this.

And now you are saying that I dont give a fuck about anyone's opinion despite me asking for specifically that in my OP. You are denying my reality of events. You are going into my brain and are reframing my argument about a comparison being disingenious to ME being dishonest, disingenious and not wanting to discuss something I MYSELF posted. Something I have continued to debate, address, and discuss through out the day today with over a dozen posts including correcting posters who I felt were not giving Alex a fair shake.

Earlier you said I was being disingenious about Alex being disingenious. All of these things are classic manipulative, coercion tactics in line with gaslighting. 'You never wanted to an actual discussion', 'You are the one who is dishonest', 'You didnt mean what you said'. You've been doing this in every post you've replied to and you still keep doing it without answering the actual question of the topic.

I find it hilarious that we are allowed to criticize Jim Ryan, Phil Spencer and Alannah Pearce's tweets but criticizing Alex with VALID fucking examples you repeatedly refuse to address is going too far. Dude, if you want to put him on a pedestal, era is that way. We are allowed to criticize industry people on this board for retarded fucking comparisons.

I literally went out of my way to frame my OP to be fair and impartial as possible. I did not pass judgement in the title to not influence the discussion. I put his tweet right at the beginning BEFORE providing my commentary to ensure people see it first without being influenced my meta commentary. I then specifically stated that this could be a nothing burger and he might end up praising the console version. And then I fucking ASKED people if they find it disingenious or not without offering my own take on it so as to not influence the discussion right from the get go.

Gaiff

And now you are saying that I dont give a fuck about anyone's opinion despite me asking for specifically that in my OP. You are denying my reality of events. You are going into my brain and are reframing my argument about a comparison being disingenious to ME being dishonest, disingenious and not wanting to discuss something I MYSELF posted. Something I have continued to debate, address, and discuss through out the day today with over a dozen posts including correcting posters who I felt were not giving Alex a fair shake.

Earlier you said I was being disingenious about Alex being disingenious. All of these things are classic manipulative, coercion tactics in line with gaslighting. 'You never wanted to an actual discussion', 'You are the one who is dishonest', 'You didnt mean what you said'. You've been doing this in every post you've replied to and you still keep doing it without answering the actual question of the topic.
That's not gaslighting in any sense of the word. That's me calling out your blatant bullshit.
I find it hilarious that we are allowed to criticize Jim Ryan, Phil Spencer and Alannah Pearce's tweets but criticizing Alex with VALID fucking examples you repeatedly refuse to address is going too far. Dude, if you want to put him on a pedestal, era is that way. We are allowed to criticize industry people on this board for retarded fucking comparisons.
What the fuck are you even talking about lol? We can't even have a DF video without members here bitching about them within the first 10 seconds. And no, I call out Alex and did it plenty of times when it was warranted. This isn't one of those cases.
I literally went out of my way to frame my OP to be fair and impartial as possible. I did not pass judgement in the title to not influence the discussion. I put his tweet right at the beginning BEFORE providing my commentary to ensure people see it first without being influenced my meta commentary. I then specifically stated that this could be a nothing burger and he might end up praising the console version. And then I fucking ASKED people if they find it disingenious or not without offering my own take on it so as to not influence the discussion right from the get go.
Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

And now you're straight up fucking lying. How? Right here.

Thought this was funny and not just because he's using the Unobtanium settings that literally cant be accessed from the menu unless you launch the game with different parameters, but because he's using the PS5's Performance mode which downgrades settings further when compared to the Quality mode.

He's comparing a 16.67ms of rendering time vs another of 16.67ms rendering time, yet here you are attempting to frame it as being an unfair comparison and you have the nerve to say that you didn't offer your own take and attempt to influence the opinions of people reading this? WTF? If you were impartial, you'd have also asked for him to drop the PC's target frame rate to 30fps...but you didn't, cause you aren't impartial.

And there's more.

One of the tweets call them out on it and Im not sure if I am buying his reasoning.
Yeah, totally didn't give your own takes lol.

I know Alex is beloved around here and want to know what Alex's biggest fan club has to say about this.

Sure. You aren't aware that half this board can't stand him and this tongue-in-cheek comment tells us you perfectly know what many members here think of him and you didn't have an unbiased OP at all. Stop fucking lying.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

That's not gaslighting in any sense of the word. That's me calling out your blatant bullshit.

What the fuck are you even talking about lol? We can't even have a DF video without members here bitching about them within the first 10 seconds. And no, I call out Alex and did it plenty of times when it was warranted. This isn't one of those cases.

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

And now you're straight up fucking lying. How? Right here.

He's comparing a 16.67ms of rendering time vs another of 16.67ms rendering time, yet here you are attempting to frame it as being an unfair comparison and you have the nerve to say that you didn't offer your own take and attempt to influence the opinions of people reading this? WTF? If you were impartial, you'd have also asked for him to drop the PC's target frame rate to 30fps...but you didn't, cause you aren't impartial.

And there's more.

Yeah, totally didn't give your own takes lol.

Sure. You aren't aware that half this board can't stand him and this tongue-in-cheek comment tells us you perfectly know what many members here think of him and you didn't have an unbiased OP at all. Stop fucking lying.
You are still not answering the question. And if you read my post and my reasoning and still think im lying then fine. you live in an alternate reality and i have no interest in conversing with you. good luck to whoever has to spend the rest of their life with you. im out.

Gaiff

You are still not answering the question. And if you read my post and my reasoning and still think im lying then fine. you live in an alternate reality and i have no interest in conversing with you. good luck to whoever has to spend the rest of their life with you. im out.
Your question has already been answered several posts ago. I don't think it's disingenuous because it's part of a full video and without the full context, we cannot judge.

Your OP on the other hand is embarrassingly dishonest. Asking why he isn't using quality mode on PS5 but not questioning why he isn't using 4K30fps on PC? Tsk tsk.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Same reason when a PS5 version vs XSX has a advantage we are told it's minor.
Damage control

You don't think so? SHOCKING!!!

One of the clear cut examples

Not with new parts
It's amazing how you ignore my response to that video. Alex has done the exact same comparison to the PS5 where the PS5 has won, with a more powerful GPU even. I guess that is shocking as well.

daninthemix

I agree its not super useful. The good videos are the ones that provide optimised PC settings that equal (roughly) what the console versions look like.

coffinbirth

No. Not really. The face pic looks a bit different. But just different. Not better.
All other pics are maaaaybe resolution if you take a very close look.
Edit: if you call those a difference, I guarantee most o md you wouldn’t be able to tell which is which. The games look identical on all platforms this gen for the most part. It’s no longer like it was in the past. The biggest difference is Alan wake 2 but that’s just a terrible console port.
giphy.gif

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Imo it should be absolute maximum you can pull out the box vs the maximum fidelity the console can muster.

Then show the 30fps running alongside the 60fps as it will be even more jarring to the viewer and highlight how God awful 30fps is.

Then re run with the performance mode on console and the highest settings on PC with also footage of what fps you can expect from dialing the settings back until you reach console settings.

Alex usually does a decent job so looking forward to this one. H9pefully I get through my backlog and can play this over the holidays.

Zathalus

Who is the primary target of the videos Alex usually makes? PC players. What fps do the vast majority of PC players game at? 60 or higher. So it makes perfect sense to compare to the 60 mode as that is what is audience cares about. Simple as that really.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
In the first tweet he is discussing visual fidelity scalability, which is where console fidelity mode should be used, but then in a response to someone who correctly called out the methodology which uses console performance mode, he then claims the goal is to compare 60fps console vs 60fps PC. This is where he is inappropriately mixing up the purpose of the testing. If comparing 60fps is the goal as he claimed in the follow up tweet, he should choose the most common GPU that is capable of RT (since Avatar is RT based similar to Metro Exodus). That would be the 3060 class. You can turn down a number of settings so 3060 can hit 60fps as you see below, but of course Alex won't do this and we all know why at this point.

The only reason to use something like a 4090 WHEN COMPARING TO CONSOLE is if you want to compare peak console fidelity vs peak fidelity that you could get on a PC. That would be a fair and insightful assessment. But that's not what's going on here.

Alex consciously muddies the methodology/purpose in many of these platform comparisons. That is the issue.

Filben

Of course it's valid when you stop seeing everything as a war.

I can compare how both version look when running the same FPS target. How much visual sacrifice do you have when running at the same FPS compared to hardware XYZ at Said FPS.

You could also compare how both games look when every version is maxed out.

Both approaches are legitimate. Not everything is a conspiracy (against consoles or PC).

Top Bottom