• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry is doing an Avatar console vs PC comparison using Performance Mode PS5 vs PC Unobatanium Settings

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
But performance mode is all going to be paired with ultra settings unless the game is really light or the dev wanted one setting for everything. Performance mode is usually the optimized version on consoles so any comparison to ultra is moot.

All the DF PC videos have comparisons with the maxed out PC settings. This is not a new development.

I don't give a shit about PC gaming but even I'm getting puzzled at the responses in this thread.

Alex is just enjoying a game that doesn't run like shit on PC.
let him have his fun
The comparison is mute, a comparison is to show what a player can expect from each platform.
Not everyone is gonna play in performance mode and hardly anybody is going to be playing on PC with those settings
Most people are going to play on performance mode on console and most people won't play with those settings on PC obviously. This comparison is bullshit and only there to shit on PS5 hardware, as much as he can, as usual.

squarealex

I missed comparison when Digital Foundry pick the most near PC Gamer config budget (i3 3k / 750ti, remember ?) and do a true comparison / scalable console version.

Because of course, everyone have 4090 and i9 13k today.

Comparing Performance vs Maxed Out still a dumb thing.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I missed comparison when Digital Foundry pick the most near PC Gamer config budget (i3 3k / 750ti, remember ?) and do a true comparison / scalable console version.

They usually do. How many times has Alex used his 3600+2060S to compare to console settings?

OverHeat

« generous god »

Depend for me it’s interesting since I have the hardware.

Skifi28

Is this the one they were saying has RTGI on its 60fps mode? Sounds very interesting in its own right and looking forward to seeing the video, I'm not even bothering with the PC vs console wars.

Spyxos

Gold Member
So wouldn't a comparison to PC on lowest settings be a better comparison? Or XSS maybe? Weird to use PS5 for that comparison
As I said before, I forgot the XSS. I don't think the Pc comparison on low would fit. As he probably wanted to compare different platforms. I'll have to watch the video.

Last edited:
what a badass , blows the console versions away

ECku-CuWwAEwIHB.jpg
Holy shit what happened to the poor guys arms?

Holy shit what happened to the poor guys arms?

Pulled a muscle opening some Soylent

Jokes aside, his comparison is fair - he's comparing 60fps console vs 60fps PC max settings, and the console looks great considering the gulf in price, the setting upgrades are subtle and whilst nicer, don't drastically change the look of the game or the density of the plant life, so good work from the devs on all counts.

Spyxos

Gold Member
You mean doesn't fit his narrative? ;)
I've been following Digital Foundry for a while now. I never noticed it before. But I also have all the consoles and Pc. And I'm not really interested in the war between PC and console, i find it tiresome.

midnightAI

I've been following Digital Foundry for a while now. I never noticed it before. But I also have all the consoles and Pc. And I'm not really interested in the war between PC and console, i find it tiresome.
Don't we all, but Alex is really bad in this regard, he's squirming throughout their GTAVI trailer video

Crayon

Seems in the realm of fair play, though they will typically put their thumb on the scale.

More of a problem than that is the fact that "PC"=4090 every time. If they can show two steps of console such as a pro and a regular, they should be able to show a 4090 and the most popular GPU on steam.

Zathalus

I don't give a shit about PC gaming but even I'm getting puzzled at the responses in this thread.
Literally any reason to shit on DF while throwing in some console warring as well

Alex has always made the same PC comparison videos, maxed out version vs performance mode with some quick notes on any quality modes that might exist, then he derives a optimized mode based on what the console is doing and then he compares the console version vs a roughly equivalent PC at the closest settings. Sometime he will compare a range of GPUs and he always brings up any issues that effect the PC version or extra features such as DLSS.

Lots of people here get salty over all of this over a ton of really dumb reasons.

Crayon

I guarantee those who build low or mid range do because of money, not because they don't want high end stuff.

Actually, searching my feelings, I don't think that's true. While it feels like a dumb use of money to me, I don't feel like I want high end. If I did I would hardly have enough self-control to not buy it lol. So there's money involved but seems like I don't care to have a screaming PC.

shamoomoo

All the DF PC videos have comparisons with the maxed out PC settings. This is not a new development.

I've made a slight typo,I meant paired back. It's ridiculous to compare performance on consoles to ultra or maxed out settings because the biggest cut is going to be performance mode.

R3TRODYCE

The problem for me is Avatar has moments where it looks great then very average a bit later.

Last edited:
To the people not understanding why this comparison is only made to make PS5 look like a shit hardware.

Guess how Alex first compared Starfield on XSX vs the PC version? he used a 2700 Super at similar resolution and similar settings to show how great the game was performing on XSX (30fps) compared to the Super 2070 (~25fps).

Lmao at the defense force attacking him for this comparison. His argument is totally valid. 60 fps for 60 fps. The best part of this whole post and thread is where console players call 60 fps graphics on PC "unobtanium."

Me with my 4090 and 7950x3D according to console players:
d3cd2303-3d8c-4e52-aa89-51ec008d4f04_text.gif

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The performance mode is maxed out too, at the performance.

Actually, searching my feelings, I don't think that's true. While it feels like a dumb use of money to me, I don't feel like I want high end. If I did I would hardly have enough self-control to not buy it lol. So there's money involved but seems like I don't care to have a screaming PC.
I don't know you but I prefer my gaming experiences being the best they can be.

Reallink

There is a difference for sure but not 400 vs 5k money difference
The fastest gaming system available, a 4090 7800X3D with 32GB 6000Mhz RAM can be built for around $2300 chief. Sales on PC components are deep and very common (Mobo, RAM, and 7800X3D are pretty routinely under $500 in a combo), GPU's are really the only parts that actually cost anywhere near MSRP. Expensive, but not exactly unobtanium, especially considering how many console people blow money on stupid ass shit like $200+ Elite/Pro controllers, $350 headsets, $200 remote play tablets. $100+ early access edition games, $70 colored plastic plates, etc...

Last edited:

Zathalus

To the people not understanding why this comparison is only made to make PS5 look like a shit hardware.

Guess how Alex first compared Starfield on XSX vs the PC version? he used a 2700 Super at similar resolution and similar settings to show how great the game was performing on XSX (30fps) compared to the Super 2070 (~25fps).

Death Stranding was compared with a 2080 (PS5 won), and Ratchet and Clank compared with a 2070 Super (PS5 won, massively so).

I'm sorry what was your point again?

Edit: Last of Us Part 1 (patched), compared to 2070 Super and PS5 won by a huge amount.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

Unless the comparison is frame rate to settings,it pointless to compare performance mode to any maxed out settings since it's usually the weakest mode.

Crayon

I don't know you but I prefer my gaming experiences being the best they can be.

Me too but surely there's a point where you don't worry about the last little bit towards the best. Otherwise you'd go crazy. For me, even the difference here between the 4090 and the PS5 isn't enough to affect me enjoyment very much, even if it's readily apparent. My GPU is in the ballpark of a PS5, for instance. So assuming you do have some kind of limit where you essentially feel like you have the best, my limit is just far wider and I don't want for a $1000+ card.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Better not tell the console crowd the PC version goes way beyond 60fps With FSR3.

And you don’t need a 4090 either.

I'm playing the game right now with unobtanium Settings on my 4090 and I even i think this is a dumb comparison

He should have compared it to the Quality Settings on PS5..

vkbest

I love how DF always show what is the internal resolution in consoles even when they are using scaling algorithms, but they will only label “4K DLSS quality“, “4K DLSS performance” in their PC videos.

Inviusx

Why are people upset here? He's just going to demonstrate how well Massive can scale their technology to accommodate a 60fps Performance mode on PS5 and an uber maxed out mode on PC. Its purely academic.

Gaiff

I love how DF always show what is the internal resolution in consoles even when they are using scaling algorithms, but they will only label “4K DLSS quality“, “4K DLSS performance” in their PC videos.
Because the internal resolution of consoles varies wildly. We've known how DLSS operates for years now. Or were you just looking for something to complain about, without actually thinking things through?

4K DLSS Quality = 1440p internal (67% resolution scale)
4K DLSS Performance = 1080p internal (50% resolution scale)

Last edited:

vkbest

Because the internal resolution of consoles varies wildly. We've known how DLSS operates for years now. Or were you just looking for something to complain about, without actually thinking things through?

4K DLSS Quality = 1440p internal (67% resolution scale)
4K DLSS Performance = 1080p internal (50% resolution scale)
Why are you assuming people who is watching those comparatives would know about Nvidia terminology. Stop being dumb mate. Go to watch some of those videos and read the comments.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Why are you assuming people who is watching those comparatives would know about Nvidia terminology. Stop being dumb mate. Go to watch some of those videos and read the comments.
It's not just NVIDIA, you mongrel. FSR Quality at 4K is also 1440p internal or a 67% resolution scale. Same for Intel with XeSS. They all use the same standards and have for years to the point it's no longer necessary to state the internal resolution because everyone and their dog knows it.

You tried to frame that as if they were trying to drag consoles through the mud. Use your brain instead.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Why compare to PS5 and not the world's most powerful console Xbox? Anyway, this is the same outfit that will run a PS4 game on PS5 and call it a PS5 comparison.
Same reason when a PS5 version vs XSX has a advantage we are told it's minor.
Damage control
Literally any reason to shit on DF while throwing in some console warring as well

Alex has always made the same PC comparison videos, maxed out version vs performance mode with some quick notes on any quality modes that might exist, then he derives a optimized mode based on what the console is doing and then he compares the console version vs a roughly equivalent PC at the closest settings. Sometime he will compare a range of GPUs and he always brings up any issues that effect the PC version or extra features such as DLSS.

Lots of people here get salty over all of this over a ton of really dumb reasons.
You don't think so? SHOCKING!!!

One of the clear cut examples
The fastest gaming system available, a 4090 7800X3D with 32GB 6000Mhz RAM can be built for around $2300 chief.
Not with new parts

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

What's the point in doing this? Is it just to make the PS5 look bad in comparison to the most expensive computer money can by?

Games look better on machine that cost 3 times the cost of the other. I don't see how that's news or interesting.

OverHeat

« generous god »
What's the point in doing this? Is it just to make the PS5 look bad in comparison to the most expensive computer money can by?

Games look better on machine that cost 3 times the cost of the other. I don't see how that's news or interesting.
It’s interesting like Ferrari beat a Honda 😜

Buggy Loop

Wait no, I actually mixed it up with some other video. Let me find it. There:

wylB8q7.png

I don't see it honestly. You're taking face expressions purely out of context, John is not even saying something triggering. I would make these kind of faces during even a technical meeting with a customer at my job if you snap every kind of emotions and make a montage.

Alex lives rent free in your heads ffs, and I see it in almost every DF thread

Vick

I don't see it honestly. You're taking face expressions purely out of context, John is not even saying something triggering. I would make these kind of faces during even a technical meeting with a customer at my job if you snap every kind of emotions and make a montage.

Alex lives rent free in your heads ffs, and I see it in almost every DF thread

cSIIQoF.jpg

Half of those where made during Richard/John casual delivery of random TLOU stuff, the other half while discussing the potential of Horizon's Remake.
For every single one of those screens at the same time both Richard and John displayed serious, deadpan, relaxed faces.
Only your buddy looked constipated for the entire video, he either doesn't enjoy this kind of discussions or doesn't have control of his facial muscles.

No big deal either way, this is lighthearted fun.

And I actually liked how he ended the video.. still, if you don't think he's massively biased in general or he doesn't pass as uncomfortable every time PC or its superior graphics aren't the topic of discussion, well I don't know what to tell you. Watch more DF videos I guess, or start questioning whether or not you're as biased as he is.

Thought this was funny and not just because he's using the Unobtanium settings that literally cant be accessed from the menu unless you launch the game with different parameters, but because he's using the PS5's Performance mode which downgrades settings further when compared to the Quality mode. It actually looks pretty good in comparison shots so maybe he ends up praising the console versions in his final video, but still what a bizarre comparison.

GBPnK6AXcAEKctg

One of the tweets call them out on it and Im not sure if I am buying his reasoning.

Valid comparison? Disingenious? I know Alex is beloved around here and want to know what Alex's biggest fan club has to say about this.

DF uses the 60fps mode because they are comparing 60fps console to 60fps PC. 30fps is not the standard for PC gaming so jacking up the game to 8k and pumping up DLSS from DLSS Quality to pure DLAA, just to get 30fps to compare to the consoles at 30fps would be silly and would make the game look even better than it ready does at DLSS Quality.

JimboJones

It's sad but this stuff keeps them awake at night. It's small pp energy.
Anyway, PC players tend to play at higher framerates, it would be weird to cap the pc one down to 30 and bump the resolution up higher to compensate. It's never going to be a "fair" comparison in these people's eyes, next they will be demanding to run the pc version under certain hardware so they can feel good about the console version. Geez.

You will get a pro version next year 🙄

Top Bottom