• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 vs PS4 graphics comparison NBA 2K21

Shmunter

How many people in here even have NBA2k20, much less the PS4 version? PC version looks better than the PS4 version. PS5 version looks better than the PC version of 2k20. That PS4 video people keep posting looks like the PC version, not any of the PS4 videos I've seen so far of NBA2k20. PS4 version of 2k20 looks fairly bland. I don't think there's any trickery at work here, other than maybe PS4 commercials using the PC footage on high settings, which I don't think was unusual the last few years.
Pretty sure PC is still running the x360 engine upscaled

Faithless83

Banned
We don't, no. If that comparison footage is fake (which it probably is, good chance that is PC footage on low or something), than 2k21 will look just as good on PS4 as earlier versions. If the PS4 footage is real, than 2K downgraded PS4 on purpose. LOL

Either way (fake or real) it's funny that whoever posted the footage thought they had to gimp the "PS4" version to show up the PS5. I think the PS5 version could stand on its own.
That's why I'm asking. People said PS4 wasn't that impressive back then. I had to show them the games in my house running on 360/PS3 and then on PS4 so they could understand. I think there is a name to it when we remembered games (or anything else) to look better in our minds than what actually look like.

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

Carter3June26.jpg

DaGwaphics

That's why I'm asking. People said PS4 wasn't that impressive back then. I had to show them the games in my house running on 360/PS3 and then on PS4 so they could understand. I think there is a name to it when we remembered games (or anything else) to look better in our minds than what actually look like.

That's why I put up the video of the 2k14 footage. The skin shading is not as soft in closeups as what the comparison here makes it appear. We need someone with current-gen 2k21 to verify what that version of the game actually looks like. But previous versions of 2k did look better than what is being shown in this comparison, not so much the distance shots but the closeups.

xPikYx

The difference is big, I can tell you by modding PC version of 2k20, 3d models for player are much more improved (you can see this by looking at the shoulders whuch are more round and the vests that have no more polys corners) as well as animations (more and better blending) , 3d enviroment model improved considerably (look at the basket and the net 's physic), NPCs (coaches, referees, bench players) 3d models are hugely improved, illumination is hugely improved (to verify Ray tracing), crowd sligtly improved but got more dense and bigger. It' s quite a big jump

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

The difference is big, I can tell you by modding PC version of 2k20, 3d models for player are much more improved (you can see this by looking at the shoulders whuch are more round and the vests that have no more polys corners) as well as animations (more and better blending) , 3d enviroment model improved considerably (look at the basket and the net 's physic), NPCs (coaches, referees, bench players) 3d models are hugely improved, illumination is hugely improved (to verify Ray tracing), crowd sligtly improved but got more dense and bigger. It' s quite a big jump

Agreed, we shouldn't let the PS4 talk detract from the fact that the PS5 version looks great.

onesvenus

4MiLnHJ.png

Incredible how lights can improve so much a polygonal model...it almost look like the added details are what really make the coach vastly better...
yes i'm using sarcasm, some people don't get that
Why do you think it's the same polygonal model?

DaGwaphics

I'll admit, I went back and looked at current-gen and the coaches and bench players do look really bad. Closeups for active players don't look nearly as soft, but I don't know what was happening in the game when those were taken, so I won't drag the creator of the video for gimping the PS4 version intentionally. LOL My bad.

Faithless83

Banned
I'll admit, I went back and looked at current-gen and the coaches and bench players do look really bad. Closeups for active players don't look nearly as soft, but I don't know what was happening in the game when those were taken, so I won't drag the creator of the video for gimping the PS4 version intentionally. LOL My bad.
Yeah I thought it was not smart to do a video when it could be easily called out. Looks like there will be more "next gen is not pretty enough" threads incoming. LOL

onesvenus

Actually NPCs 3d models have now the same quality as player models, so no more 2nd quality for NPCs over main characters, whuch is what next gen should be this time around
I don't think that's true at all. Main characters will never have enough polygons so it makes sense to use a bigger % of the polygon budget on them than in NPCs

The thing people don't get is not only will the game look great but the gameplay will be smoother with high framerates.

The jump in graphics and tech from the PS4 to PS5 is big but we will not see that in these launch titles.

Top Bottom