• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN game sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Someone explained this to me....I forgot how it works though.

Anyone willing to explain to me how the sharing thing on the PSN works again?

skrew

Banned
great i just sent everyone a msg to not login :(

darkx10
kabuki
darobga
macaveli

go ahead and download, let me know when everyone is done

mackaveli

question, how do i login?
i have no idea where it is lol.

nvm got it

so in the future when i want to share games, i should just create a new user and account, then buy the game, then delete my billing information so no one can see it?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm 50% done. This download is taking a while...like 1% a minute.

And to download, just go to the download list that skrew mentioned. Should be on the upper right, next to the UserID name.

Rogue5, it does indeed run at 1080P, and it's a port of the arcade game. Check the huge Tekken thread for discussion on the game

Miburou

Well, I've been on this board since late 99 (my previous nick was The Snake), and I would like to get Tekken 5. I could share in the future, or if you want something from Japan in the next 7 days, I could get it for you (like a magazine, catalog, etc.).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm about 90% done so my download should be completed shortly.

Thanks again for the share skrew, and for becoming our first share test :) Gripshift is totally yours when it's out

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
WTF It's not letting me play! It says this software cannot be accessed on this account. Trying to play on my account and on skrew's account

What the hell?

mackaveli

Wario64 said:
WTF It's not letting me play! It says this software cannot be accessed on this account. Trying to play on my account and on skrew's account

What the hell?

damn that sucks, im at 97% too,

hopefully we can figure out how to get it to work.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ok, I went back to the PS store from Skrew's account, clicked on the download link again for Tekken. It activated it again and started to download again...I hit cancel, exit out of the store and reloaded Tekken from the XMB and now it's working. Phew. But I'm wondering why it didn't work the first time?

I'm gonna see if I can run it from my account now. And I'll check the account management stuff.

mackaveli

k it works for me,

i used my main log in user account and it worked.

no problems so far *crosses fingers*. no idea why it didnt work for you.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ok, for some reason, if I delete the user account on my local PS3 that I created for skrew, it won't let me play the game. But if I keep it on my PS3, then the game is playable on my account. Can someone try deleting skrew's user account on their PS3 and see if it blocks you from playing the game?

It seems like we have to keep skrew's user account on our PS3s.

I have the account managements activated too under system activation.

skrew

Banned
that kinda sucks, but i guess its the price to pay for free games

hopefully we can figure out a work around for this

mackaveli

Wario64 said:
Ok, for some reason, if I delete the user account on my local PS3 that I created for skrew, it won't let me play the game. But if I keep it on my PS3, then the game is playable on my account. Can someone try deleting skrew's user account on their PS3 and see if it blocks you from playing the game?

It seems like we have to keep skrew's user account on our PS3s.

I have the account managements activated too under system activation.

yah you have to keep the user id you created linked to skrew's account in order to play the game.

i deleted the user id i made up just to download it and then i had errors playing the game, so i had to create a new id then go back to the ps store and download tekken 5 then cancel and now it works.

so what does this mean? if skrew changes the password to the account will we be able to play it still or no?

Hello,

I may be new but I am honest and glad to be a part of NeoGAF. Although that statement holds no credence as I have nothing to really show, I can guarantee that all you will get from me are friendly discussions and games to share.

I have Tekken DR available and I am looking for Lemmings and Blast Factor. I would be willing to also trade for Gripshift and FlOw when it comes out (trade with or trade for as I might buy one or the other with my own funds.)

We should start an over and under for when Sony is going to release a patch banning this free enterprising we have going on here. It is simply too good to be true and it totally undermines the whole premise of having a marketplace to distribute content for paying customers. Sony is really being bit in the ass by the lack of foresight in both this system and in the PS3 Jr. :lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ok, you HAVE to keep skrew's user account on your PS3 or else you're ****ed. So whatever you do, do not remove the user account if you want to play his downloaded content.

I didn't change the password skrew, but I dont think changing the password will affect our ability to play. I just turned off my PS3 and took out the ethernet cable, rebooted the PS3 and was able to play the game on my user account. I also have save password disabled for your account.

So for you people who just downloaded Tekken from Skrew, DO NOT DELETE THE USER ACCOUNT YOU CREATED FOR SKREW. If you do, you will NOT be able to play Tekken DR unless you sign back on to Skrew's account and redownload/activate the game.

Shawnwhann said:
We should start an over and under for when Sony is going to release a patch banning this free enterprising we have going on here. It is simply too good to be true and it totally undermines the whole premise of having a marketplace to distribute content for paying customers. Sony is really being bit in the ass by the lack of foresight in both this system and in the PS3 Jr. :lol

Actually, Sony WANTS you to share games, apparantly. Chris Kohler on the Gafcast had a talk with Sony and they encouraged people to share downloadable games.

This sharing stuff may seem confusing so I'm gonna do a write up tomorrow so Skrew can put on the opening post of this thread, for people who want to share stuff in the future. This thread is probably gonna be an 'official' thread for game sharing so mind as well get some documentation up to get some smooth transactions going here.

skrew

Banned
i guess we are going to end up with a bunch of accounts in your ps3 ;)

its probably a good idea to make a secondary master account for buying/sharing games

skrew

Banned
kabuki/daroga: please buy calling all cars!
dark: let me know when you get the game and are willing to share lemmings/blastfactor

mackaveli

skrew said:

its probably a good idea to make a secondary master account for buying/sharing games

what you mean by secondary master account?

i dont even know the difference between master and non master accounts haha

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
skrew said:

Haha, yeah it looks like it. Oh well. I guess this means we are stuck with the HDDs that we have right now. Oh well...

Anyway, make sure you change the password on the account once everyone is done downloading

Wario64 said:
Actually, Sony WANTS you to share games, apparantly. Chris Kohler on the Gafcast had a talk with Sony and they encouraged people to share downloadable games.

This sharing stuff may seem confusing so I'm gonna do a write up tomorrow so Skrew can put on the opening post of this thread, for people who want to share stuff in the future. This thread is probably gonna be an 'official' thread for game sharing so mind as well get some documentation up to get some smooth transactions going here.

I wonder how the developers feel about the fact that they may get revenue from 100,000 downloads but in actuality there are 400,000 systems with the priced content from "sharing".Considering that there is no actual "Game Sharing" icon or utility on the PS3 like the one on the DS or PSP, the practical application of this on PS3 is a cluster**** at best. What kind of sense does it make to have users have to submit thier personal emails and passwords to other users in order to "share" the content that was purchased? From reading the methods behind doing this process, it is a hack where the rules are being established as roadblocks are met. I can't wait to hear the official response from Sony when the major publications report on the profiteering and "sharing" when the holidays are over. I can picture Luke already framing his article for 1up right now.

skrew

Banned
ok i'm going to sleep, i think i'll stick with a small group of people who consistently buy and share games so i dont end up with tons of accounts in my ps3

Shawnwhann said:
I wonder how the developers feel about the fact that they may get revenue from 100,000 downloads but in actuality there are 400,000 systems with the priced content from "sharing".Considering that there is no actual "Game Sharing" icon or utility on the PS3 like the one on the DS or PSP, the practical application of this on PS3 is a cluster**** at best. What kind of sense does it make to have users have to submit thier personal emails and passwords to other users in order to "share" the content that was purchased? From reading the methods behind doing this process, it is a hack where the rules are being established as roadblocks are met. I can't wait to hear the official response from Sony when the major publications report on the profiteering and "sharing" come through when the holidays are over. I can picture Luke already framing his article for 1up right now.

or maybe they'll make a eaiser way to share games;) PSN has been pretty good to me up till now so i'll keep some faith. The less i feel like i'm getting ripped off, the more i'm going to spend.

DCharlie said:
i'd be all up for sharing the wealth, but given this 5-share thing is supposed to be a PSN feature it does sound incredibly badly designed.

I mean, i'm not going to give people any login details for sure - i'm confused as to why it's been designed as it is. :(

Ah well.

I sorta think the idea was to allow you to:
1) Play PSN games on multiple PS3s you may own
2) Go to someone's house, download/activate a game, then log out (NOT saving your password info but leaving the account on the system). That way that person could enjoy the activated game and not get your login info.

The feature was not designed to share PSN games with random people's on the internets so in that way I think its relaly good.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
wow - i have a headache now!

so - can someone do a step by step list of exactly what you need to do to get this to work?

skrew

Banned
buy game
go to friends ps3 and log in
download game
logout
dont save password but dont delete the username

DCharlie

buy game
download game
logout

ah okay - oh - that's pretty straight forward then...

All you have to do is is make your internet friends double promise that they won't f*ck you over! ;)

Apologies guys , if i don't know you really well , i'm not going to be sharing.

skrew

Banned
thats pretty much the gist of it

the fact that the more you buy from the psn store, the more discriminating you should be about who you let access your stuff

hopefully tomorrow we will try to see if sub accounts work if dark10x is willing to go through the trouble

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DCharlie said:
wow - i have a headache now!

so - can someone do a step by step list of exactly what you need to do to get this to work?

skrew said:
buy game
download game
logout

What he said. That's pretty much the simple version :)

It's important that the PS3 receiving the game doesn't delete the user account from the person who bought the game. You don't have to sign in with that account to play the game....it just needs to be on your PS3 HDD

skrew

Banned
missed the most important part

dont forget to delete your CC info before sharing
creating a temp password helps too

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
skrew said:
missed the most important part

dont forget to delete your CC info before sharing
creating a temp password helps too

Yes these are necessary steps needed if you are sharing the games. Temporary password is neccessary too imo, especially since multiple people can login at the same time for some reason, which is weird.

DCharlie

are CC details stored?

i mean, on the Japanese machine you have to plug in your info to charge the purse.

anyways - cheers for the help.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DCharlie said:
are CC details stored?

i mean, on the Japanese machine you have to plug in your info to charge the purse.

anyways - cheers for the help.

I think they're stored if you wish to keep the info tied to your account. When skrew shared Tekken with us, he deleted the CC info from his account before giving us access. I checked his account info to make sure it's gone and indeed his CC info wasn't stored. So you have the option of deleting the info

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Shawnwhann said:
I wonder how the developers feel about the fact that they may get revenue from 100,000 downloads but in actuality there are 400,000 systems with the priced content from "sharing".

I'm not a fan of it at all. I also haven't been able to find anyone at Sony who can explain to me exactly why the system is in place in the first place or demonstrate the business reasoning behind it.

skrew

Banned
I never thought i would hear bitching over this, after seeing people pay for crap that was already in the disc they paid $60 for, this is a breath of fresh air. All I know is that the PSN is probably the most fairly priced console store and if Sony keeps this up they will buy an enormous amount of goodwill from me, which will result in me spending less money in competing stores and more on PSN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom