• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett2

Spectral Glider said:
Well, this just tops off one of the shittiest days I've ever had. Fuck hackers and the internet and Sony and the fucking cloud and whatever the fuck else.
You must lead a charmed life.

mbmonk

_dementia said:
It took them long enough

Exactly. Seems like it took the press leaning on them before they fessed up to what had been compromised. I would have like to have known my identity was compromised much earlier than today FFS.

Kyoufu

FINALBOSS said:
PSN users will forget all about this shit when they catch the hacker. We'll all huddle together and become stronger as a community.

I doubt the low-life responsible for this will get caught. Probably far too skilled to be traced.

Loudninja

Vinci said:
And there's still no information sent to customers? Hell, at this point, they might as well just tell everyone, "Watch CNN. Big news!"
Why do you keep saying this? They have to sent 75 million emails yes that includes a shit ton of clone accounts

jax (old)

Banned
Morn said:
Here's the IP info for the person who apparently hacked PSN:

Either the guy is in the military, or was spoofing his IP.

How did you find this?!!?

Holyshit

*not sure if this is appropriate.

enjoy the millions of year in prison dude.

Vestal said:
The thieves have blame yes, but not taking adequate security measures to protect our information is worse than the thieves themselves.

Is this real? Because if it is, it could literally be the dumbest thing ever said. Who are you, Yogi Berra?

FINALBOSS

Banned
offshore said:
Of course Sony want to conduct investigations, but you tell your customers on day one to prepare for the worse case scenario…which is what has happened here.

"While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility." is not the same as "We can categorically state credit card information was not compromised and your credit card details remain secure on our servers"

They should have told us on day one to prepare for this...even if they weren't sure.

More generally, it's the CC bit that is the brunt of everyone's annoyance. I think everyone knows that their name and address is probably floating around somewhere on the internet, and yeah, it's annoying that you may get cold calls,or junk mail or your email account may get spammed.

But your CC information is something else completely. A company has to protect that. If they can't, then they probably can't be trusted. Of course the irony now is that going forward, Sony are most likely to run the most secure network, but it's going to take time before this blows over.

...I'd say a VAST majority of people know what's going on.

Googling "why is PSN down" has been like THE top search.

Besides, I'd rather have accurate information received through a proper investigation (like they did) than an early e-mail creating a mass panic situation.

kpx0

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Glad I removed credit card info last time I was on. Also glad I didn't put in my new credit card info. Still concerned about personal info tho.

you honestly think "removing" your CC info actually erases all traces of it from the database?

Emitan

HomerSimpson-Man said:
The only way is barely use your consoles online again. It would be like retrogaming back in olden days!
I've vowed to never pay for XBL again (or buy another MSFT console), and I have a kickass PC, so consoles really have nothing to entice me to go online with besides their very few good exclusive multiplayer games and PSN/XBLA

Akuosa

Attackthebase said:
I have no idea if I used my Visa or Discover card for the PSN. Is there any feasible way to find out, or am I forced to wait until PSN to check which card I used?
You can check the mail you get when you buy something from the store, they state the number of the card you used (without the last numbers and such). That is, if you got anything recently and still have one of those mails handy.

xbhaskarx

xion4360 said:
Im glad I removed my credit Card info a day or two before PSN went offline!

How did you know, were you responsible for this? You're like the Jews that supposedly didn't show up for work at the WTC on 9/11, except real.

patsu

JasonMCG said:
Why didn't Sony formally alert people to this potential beach sooner instead of waiting six days? This is some bullshit.

It is possible they took a few days to ascertain the fact (Lot's of information and traffic for a 70+ million account network, especially after a DDOS).

Given that they haven't found out whether someone has gotten the CC numbers yet, but has released the info anyway. This may be the earliest point for them to act.

Fireye

Jax said:
How did you find this?!!?

Holyshit

jail rape time.

enjoy the millions of year in prison dude.

Again, the IP address posted is likely unrelated to the PSN hacking. The IP address posted was doing vulnerability scans on a Sony gracenotedb server, and as far as I can see, doesn't exploit anything.

Garjon

Fireye said:
I'm not up to date on what was leaked exactly, has it been determined precisely what was stolen, and if it was encrypted? From Sony's press release, they took the cautious side and implied that passwords might be out there, but didn't confirm it.

I'd say yes, it's common for several companies to use the same TYPE of encryption, and to use that same TYPE of encryption in multiple places. If that encryption type is flawed or compromised, it can cause serious issues. I don't think there's been any indication that some sort of encryption has been broken in this situation though. If the passwords and other sensitive information was decently encrypted, it's likely still secure, at least until enough resources are thrown at cracking it.

Regarding numerous leaks happening... what leaks are you talking about? Has Sorny had other leaks recently that I'm not aware of? This GracenoteDB thing is pretty unrelated to everything else. It's a poorly configured server, and likely wouldn't leak any confidential information.
Ah okay, so it seems likely that the data wasn't encrypted then, bloody hell Sony. The reason why I asked is because there have been a number of data leaks in the past month or so, Chase being one of them (sorry I can't find the others, they are all buried in this fast-moving thread) and I was just wondering if this would be purely coincidental.

FINALBOSS said:
PSN users will forget all about this shit when they catch the hacker. We'll all huddle together and become stronger as a community.

Someone will come and defend him/her/them/it.

In the last thread there was even someone saying that hackers don't really even want to take out credit cards.

They just want to prove a point, and they love us.

Emitan

TrAcEr_x90 said:
So should I get on my ps3 and delete all info? is it worth it now, or they already got everythign?
If they could have gotten the info they already have.
Just guessing. It wouldn't hurt to remove it though.

Garjon said:
Ah okay, so it seems likely that the data wasn't encrypted then, bloody hell Sony. The reason why I asked is because there have been a number of data leaks in the past month or so, Chase being one of them (sorry I can't find the others, they are all buried in this fast-moving thread) and I was just wondering if this would be purely coincidental.
Wait, what about Chase bank?

Vestal

Gold Member
robotzombie said:
Is this real? Because if it is, it could literally be the dumbest thing ever said. Who are you, Yogi Berra?

Why not ill bite.

If you don't use AV, Firewall and a password on your pc, and you end up getting hacked.. Who has the bigger blame... The hacker or you?

itsgreen

Oh crap.

They actually took every bit of personal info?

That makes me sick.

Guess free PSP2s for everybody to compensate... instant userbase.

But in all seriousness this is really bad. I think there are hundreds of people at Sony having very bad nights about this. Sucks. Wonder if they will make the full details of a future investigation into the crime public (ie. what could have been done to prevent this)

Oh just realized that if Sony made mistakes in any way they will get their asses sued of by some money smelling mom with a class action law suit. Not good news. At all.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
EricHasNoPull said:
I donno dude, not trying to be a dick, ARK's points are a lot more clear and straight to the point, I couldn't really make anything out of Blimblim's..."rescue"

"hacker's with different goals"??? I donno what that means, that just sounds vague and subjective to me. Who is you or me or Blim to confirm the hacker's "goals"?
Geohot and co only cared about opening the PS3 to a point where they would be free to use it as they wished. They weren't in it for the money, some were there because it's an interesting challenge, others (like Geohot imho) more for personal fame I guess.
The ones who compromised PSN are in it only for the money.
The first type of hackers have an idealistic view of the world where everything should be open and free (not as in no money involved, but as in freedom). It's a commendable view, and unfortunately quite far from reality. The second type are thieves. Plain and simple.

Lakitu

st5fu
Wow. This is unbelievable. My brother used his card to purchase stuff from the PS store, but that was before he was victim of another fraud and someone else spent £400 on his account and had a new one sent to him. He hasn't used it since. Lucky, lucky. I play on PSN and PS3 occasionally but I never buy anything on there, only on 360.

But still, don't feel comfortable that personal information is out there.

Gritesh

For everyone freaking out at sony and claiming this was handled so "terribly"

Lets be realistic here and look at the timeline of events:

Last week Sony detects an intrusion on their network, they begin an investigation to find out how serious the intrusion is. Someone has to make the heavy financial decision to figuratively (and literally) pull the plug on the PSN in order to further protect themselves, developer's and the consumers. I am sure that decision was not easy to make but necessary.

Then they begin an investigation to determine how the intrusion was made and take the necessary steps in order to resolve this issue.
This of course all takes place leading into a Easter Long Weekend where even employees at Sony have lives, and probably either were gone for holiday's or going to visit relatives or whatever normal people do for long weekends.

I think that's a big key in what people are missing, it happened over a long weekend, when a large number of the team was very likely unreachable, including the PR department, for many Tuesday (today) is the first day back to work.

So they being last Thursday / Friday investigating the issue, trying to determine the severity of the attack, what information was at risk, what information was made available etc..
The weekend comes into play, given the state of emergency, I am sure Sony had employees working around the clock, they discover the extent of the issue and what information was taken.

Come Monday they are trying to get security people into work, get them up to speed on what happened, get meetings underway on what to do to deal with it, and decide 100% for sure how to move forward.

Finally Tuesday morning, PR people are back to work, major bosses are back to work, everyone is brought up to speed, a head honcho makes the saddening decision that they need to tell the consumers what has happened, and finally they come forward and let us know.

Really how else could it have gone? These decisions aren't light hearted decisions, they have heavy repercussions and nobody at Sony wanted to have to come forward and tell everyone what happened without being 100% positive because of the obvious (as evening news can tell) negative impact of the news.

StuBurns

Banned
electroshockwave said:
Why would they? I can't imagine Valve sharing Steam details with Sony and I don't see why they would need to.
I really have no idea, I didn't even think about it till someone raised it in the Portal 2 thread now I'm a little concerned, but I guess you're right, it's only within Portal 2 so I doubt Sony has any of that stuff.

Vinci

Danish
Loudninja said:
Why do you keep saying this? They have to sent 75 million emails yes that includes a shit ton of clone accounts

Because they can send me an email telling me (and I assume, everyone) that the User Agreement has been changed, but can't do the same when the whole damn thing has been compromised to hell and back?

SapientWolf said:
It's unnecessarily grisly but other than that it seems fairly accurate.

how? if you lose your key, why would you go about your own key why would you go about your business, you can't get in either. -__-

Fireye

Garjon said:

It's probably a coincidence. Systems like PSN and Chase are so dissimilar that while they may have parts in common (ie; using apache, or some other common service), they probably wouldn't be exploited in the same way.

We don't know what data has been stolen, and if it is still encrypted or not. Sony is taking the safe route at this time and saying:
"We got our shit compromised. We don't really know exactly what was taken, but it COULD HAVE BEEN ____________"

Glix

Loudninja said:

joke post?

We get it people, the hackers are dicks

Regardless, there is NO excuse for the way Sony has behaved.

If it was the fact that they were morons, or if they were hoping they could keep it quiet, either way it is inexcusable. Totally and completely inexcusable.

Mama Robotnik said:
The fact that they were hacked whereas comparable online infrastructure (XBL, Steam, Wii) was not, evidences their security measures as inadequate.
That means either Sony's security measures suck or the person who got in was very skilled and probably pissed at what Sony has been doing to Geohot and other hackers. I mean the service did go 5 years without a breach like this I can't imagine their measures being so bad yet it took this long to happen.

Raoh

Well... Depending on how deep the account hacks go and how well sony can clean up after this...

Hello PC.. or Mac with an Apple TV

itsgreen

Dreamgazer said:
Someone will come and defend him/her/them/it.

In the last thread there was even someone saying that hackers don't really even want to take out credit cards.

They just want to prove a point, and they love us.

Well I was taught that thats the difference between hackers and crackers...

Hackers will uncover faults, make them public or open things up.

Crackers abuse and break.

I don't think many people will be against the first, but all will be against the second.

Loudninja

Glix said:
joke post?

We get it people, the hackers are dicks

Regardless, there is NO excuse for the way Sony has behaved.

If it was the fact that they were morons, or if they were hoping they could keep it quiet, either way it is inexcusable. Totally and completely inexcusable.

Huh? I didn't say one word about nay hackers,I was talkign abotu the emails that Sony are sending out.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
EricHasNoPull said:
I donno dude, not trying to be a dick, ARK's points are a lot more clear and straight to the point, I couldn't really make anything out of Blimblim's..."rescue"

"hacker's with different goals"??? I donno what that means, that just sounds vague and subjective to me. Who is you or me or Blim to confirm the hacker's "goals"?

Anyway what's done is done, just let me know what will make you sleep better at night, blaming on Hackers fully or blaming Sony or half and half? let me know and I'll go with that, because you know, that will hopefully get my $55 back that I had in my PSN wallet :(

What do you want me to tell you? Clear and straight to the point is exactly that. Just black and white. ARK is mixing videogame hackers, cfw users and eastern europe organized crime hackers in one group. Do you think that all so called hackers share the same morals? That they are all after your personal data and cc info while they trying to hack a GBA? If your answer is no then we agree.

About your sleep and you $55. I'm pretty sure that Sony should be able to or find a way to get your money back to you. I wouldn't loose sleep over this.

(Sorry for the repost) Question: I don't use the same password everywhere but I do use a variant of the same password everywhere that changes depends on the site, so if they got my password in plaintext, it's conceivable they could derive how it's modified and apply the steps when trying other sites and I'm screwed. But if Sony just stores a hash I'm fine.

Am I screwed?

I think people are missing that point that many are saying. Geohot broke the PS3's security and everyone was warned way ahead of time(By Sony themselves even) that people on custom firmware could be susceptible to...well, whatever specific firmware could do. Fast forward and we get several new groups popping up with their own firmwares. The people on pSXscene start abusing devnet. Someone, somewhere notices a crack in the system and uses it to get at this information.

Now Geohot isn't to blame per-se. But it does explain why Sony came down so hard on him. Clearly there were some worse vulnerabilities in the system or things that they wanted to keep hidden for a purpose. In this case, protecting user information or whatever else may be there. They should have fixed whatever security issues they had long before they even sued Hotz as a precaution.

Sometimes things are meant to be locked away for a reason. It's Sony's fault for trusting in client side security. And I'm sure it's something that they will definitely be against for the PS4. So, good luck getting anything near "open" as the PS3 was after this catastrophe.

Glix

Gritesh said:
For everyone freaking out at sony and claiming this was handled so "terribly"

Lets be realistic here and look at the timeline of events:

Last week Sony detects an intrusion on their network, they begin an investigation to find out how serious the intrusion is. Someone has to make the heavy financial decision to figuratively (and literally) pull the plug on the PSN in order to further protect themselves, developer's and the consumers. I am sure that decision was not easy to make but necessary.

Then they begin an investigation to determine how the intrusion was made and take the necessary steps in order to resolve this issue.
This of course all takes place leading into a Easter Long Weekend where even employees at Sony have lives, and probably either were gone for holiday's or going to visit relatives or whatever normal people do for long weekends.

I think that's a big key in what people are missing, it happened over a long weekend, when a large number of the team was very likely unreachable, including the PR department, for many Tuesday (today) is the first day back to work.

So they being last Thursday / Friday investigating the issue, trying to determine the severity of the attack, what information was at risk, what information was made available etc..
The weekend comes into play, given the state of emergency, I am sure Sony had employees working around the clock, they discover the extent of the issue and what information was taken.

Come Monday they are trying to get security people into work, get them up to speed on what happened, get meetings underway on what to do to deal with it, and decide 100% for sure how to move forward.

Finally Tuesday morning, PR people are back to work, major bosses are back to work, everyone is brought up to speed, a head honcho makes the saddening decision that they need to tell the consumers what has happened, and finally they come forward and let us know.

Really how else could it have gone? These decisions aren't light hearted decisions, they have heavy repercussions and nobody at Sony wanted to have to come forward and tell everyone what happened without being 100% positive because of the obvious (as evening news can tell) negative impact of the news.

Dude, I had to work on Easter, and my company WASNT having a catastrophic data breach.

What the hell is up with these apologists?????? Is Easter even a big holiday in Japan???

Just accept that Sony fucked up really bad!

upJTboogie said:
That means either Sony's security measures suck or the person who got in was very skilled and probably pissed at what Sony has been doing to Geohot and other hackers.
how dare you have a functioning brain. >__<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom