• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Plus needed to play online!!!

Vibranium

Banned
People need to to tweet Yoshida to get some concrete confirmation and whether this decision is set in stone or not.

They should have kept the existing model or thrown in extra online features instead. This needs to be reconsidered, time for a new Twitter campaign?

krae_man

I don't see the issue. It's only for multiplayer(Re not required for Netflix etc) and you get PS4 IGC games including Drive Club day one and a new game every month.

web01

Extremely disappointing, I pay for plus anyone for the games but this pisses me off.
Only negative of PS announcement for me.

Slime

Banned
This really sucks, but with no DRM and such a great price point I can forgive them. Helps that Plus offers such amazing deals.

Paying for online is shitty as hell in general, though. Very disappointed.

tumblr_lya04d6YWe1qjjsh6o1_400.jpg

ibun

60 bucks a year is not much...i get it BUT, why should i pay for online play, for something that happens on my box with my internet connection o_O. i dont play online much often BUT this means no online play at all

I'm still fine with this. Unlike MS who I thought was going the PS+ route by throwing in free games every month for XB1, Sony is actually still giving Plus members one. So, I'm okay with this, honestly. If it gives me Gaikai access and a free game every month, I'm good.

I'm OK with this.

I was OK with XBL when 360 first debuted, I'm OK with + solely for the value. If the games continue the way they do for the IGC, not subscribing seems like the more illogical thing to do.

Sony makes their money back, gamers make their money back. Everybody wins.

linko9

Bummer, but from a purely selfish perspective, I don't play games online on the PS3, so it doesn't really affect me, other than discouraging me from starting in the future.

Odrion

Banned
It was expected, but you do get like four free games at launch including Drive Club. And then there's the barrage of free titles that is there already.

PS+ is a pretty good service!

Woggerman

Banned
Awesome. Just preordered mine. Though, figuring in PS+ its $460 for the first year. The Xbox One is $499 which includes a 1 year Gold membership.

Worst thing I've heard all day... fuck you Sony.

I love PS+ but to put online behind a paywall is a fucking slap in the face to everyone. You go out and tell the world how much you care about all gamers and then punch in the gut with the fact that you have to pay to play online though.

Fucking dumb. Really hurt the conference overall.

I had no idea people would be that upset about this. I might get PS+ and I don't even play online multiplayer. Sony's working out their profit strategy like Microsoft and any other corporation.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
easily the worst thing announced in the conference, but the upside is at least they still give you all the PS+ free shit

Vibranium

Banned
Hopefully journalists press Sony execs hard on this issue, I'd like to hear more information than a quick blurb from Tretton.

Hazanko

Banned
jesus christ, stop whining and get PS+

its a fucking amazing service

Fuck off with this shit seriously. It's really starting to piss me off and I'm not easy to temper. I pay for plus but I also pay monthly to play DCUO and that's a free to play game (I get added stuff for sub), as well, there are many who don't pay, nor should they and it's a kick in the balls for that type of game because they'll have free to play PS3 players and pay to play PS4 ones?!

I also like having a choice. I pay for plus because it's worth it. The issue is, if it ever becomes not worth the money, I'm fucked and so are you and rest of the people.

I dont want free games that im not allowed to keep forever. I dont want any subscription ever. I dont want Facebook. I dont want Gaikai. Throw the Gaikai shit away and then nobody has to pay for online mp.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I'm assuming "Free PS4 game each month" means free as long as you subscribe to PSN+, just as it is now.

This is not necessarily a dealbreaker for me. I just hope that PSN subscriptions go on sale much more than they have in the past. I've only ever once seen a one-year PSN subscription go on sale for $40. One-year Live subscriptions go on sale for $35 routinely.

M.D

I'm already subscribed for PS+ till 9/14, but this shit seriously sucks.

The thing they should have done was adding value to PS+ with Music/Video Unlimited for free or things in that fashion

Fey

Banned
This was the one thing that really disappointed me. :( I guess when they said they're keeping their policies/games the same as they have been with PS3, they didn't include online gaming.

Guy Legend

I don't mind. Online multiplayer isn't a necessity so don't subscribe if you don't need it. With the popularity of Xbox Live, this had to be coming.

On the plus side, 399 price point =win.

Top Bottom