• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Plus needed to play online!!!

boingball

That's a bummer. Gold now gives free games too and PS4 has no free online anymore.
Sony lost a big advantage there.
I do have Plus until 2015, so it does not affect me.

dubq

I'm good. I also have like 2 years queued up on my current sub. Also $5 a month is literally nothing. Like this is the cost of a coffee at Starbucks..

This just sucks. I dont like the idea of paying for servers for 50€ a year even trough pc gets free ones. And besides that. I think the only server they provide are these facebook-like servers. I hope they clarify on that and say you could play online without ps+.

Turok_TTZ

And so in the end, Sony caved in. Not dealbreaker since XBL is a success. there will be those foolish enough to pay for such a thing but at least PSPlus gives ye yer money's worth.

Thus, Nintendo is now the last who requires no subscription to play online. How hilarious.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I'm disappointed that PS+ is required for PS4 multiplayer but at least it will also give you a free PS4 game each month as well as the regular PS3 and Vita stuff.

@PlayStation: PS Plus Instant Game Collection confirmed for PS4! The first game: #DriveClub! Available at PS4 launch. Free PS4 game each month

But wasn't that free game Don't Starve and two other games ? Not that big of a deal.

Welp, guess I'll go without console online play entirely then. Not missing out on much, but a bummer for whatever fighting games end up console exclusive.

Usobuko

Banned
It sucks, but its one small thing. People are seriously saying fuck Sony and going back to gold? LOL. Look what PS+ offers.

These people are willing to buy Xbox One with anti-used games and DRM practices, have been paying Live for years and are taking the shots now.

Arklite

I have Plus, but that's still a giant shame. They'd better have cross chat/invites/party systems/messaging systems well and truly sorted if they're presenting it as a premium service.

Sianos

Killed the buzz brought on by all the bombs against DRM, like a spider on a delicious cake.

Still, we defeated drm!

Interesting - I didn't expect this at all really.

I've been at work - haven't seen a single conference or trailer yet. Can anyone tell me what Sony's position used games & online DRM is? I know they announced that it's 'not mandatory' - but did they mention if developers can force it?

I just have a bad feeling that nearly everything will be always-online required or unable to be traded-in/lent because of BS reasons similar to Microsoft's cloud etc. There will be exceptions on the PS4 of course, but EA/Ubi/Acti will enforce it whereever possible.

In that scenario - the difference between PS4/XBO are nearly non-existent to the gamer (besides hardware, price point, controller etc.).

Also: While GAF is still up - pictures for FFXV & Kingdom Hearts looked fantastic.

Jeels

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, by principle, I feel like online gaming should really be free.

On the other hand, I already subscribe to plus and its worth it.

Soriku

Goddamn. It's a good thing the vast majority of games I'm interested in don't even have online play...

You don't need PS+ to download stuff from the Store, do you?

Conference came so close to being perfect. Still, PS+ is amazing. Of course we'll have people saying that it's like playing for XBL gold in the coming days.
But yeah, a shame they dropped the ball there.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You get friggin Driveclub for free. I can't really complain. :p

Everyone keeps saying this, but you don't keep the games, do you? Isn't the deal that the game goes away when your sub ends? How is that a free game? More like a rental. Netflix doesn't offer free movies either. You pay monthly for access.

It does suck, but I am PS Plus for life anyways, so It will not effect me.

I am sorry for those that do not find value in the service, cause for $50 a year its awesome!

I am actually looking at it like I am paying $50 a year for no DRM. Just look at it that way!

I am sure if Xbox One said you could have NO DRM if you were Gold, many would jump all over it.

Well crap. How did we ever get to this.

So I buy a PS4, I buy the game, I pay for the internet service, my buddy buys for his PS4, he buys the same game, he pays for his internet service, and somewhere in the it's justified that we both have to shell out subscription money to Sony. Amazing

And come on guys, a bunch of free games that I don't want doesn't make it alright.

Agent X

Just an amazing amount of garbage that Sony pulled here. Not only will I refrain from buying a PS4 now, but I won't renew my existing PS Plus membership, either...unless Sony reconsideration this awful decision.

We have to send a message to these companies. Don't let them rip us off.

I think its quite logic, this is a business after all, online was free because Sony was catching up Xbox Live, thats also why Ps Plus offered much than Gold. Now that Sony have a bit more experience and clients they need to turn this into something they can profit with.

Suck a dick Sony. (and microsoft)

I've had ps+ for the past 6 months but that's over now out of principle.

No consoles for me next gen, at least every semi interesting game shown this e3 is on pc.

ElRenoRaven

So two choices and both suck.

Either pay to play, drm hell, and kinect required or pay to play, drm free, and no camera required.

Either way it's lose lose. It's just that one is less sucky.

A horrible, horrible, horrible decision, said in the same breath as caring about gamers and removing barriers. They're charging "because they can", and it sucks.

Everything else they said was beautiful though. At the price and performance and benefits of PSN+, which I had planned to get anyway, I'll grudgingly accept it. But its a dick move regardless.

Big deal breaker for me.

Only thing that would even get me to touch a console is free online in order to play some exclusives.

Having to pay to even play online is stupid.

Noirulus

I think they're able to subsidize the PS4's $399 price-tag by making us pay for PS+.

I'm a little sad about this, but oh well... I guess Sony doesn't want to bleed money like they did with the PS3.

Top Bottom