• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Plus needed to play online!!!

Assume a 6 year lifecycle. $360 has just been added to the cost of a PS4. Maybe that's why they call it PS+. It's arithmetic.

"if you don't have PS+, you can still play singleplayer games offline and enjoy our media services"

I had a feeling PS+ was a trojan horse to get people used to paying for online. It offers a great value so now people will more willingly make the transition.

Still fucked up.

As long as I PS+ keeps giving out 'free' games at the same rate, I was going to stay subscribed anyway.

Besides, I bought a few PS+ cards when Target was selling them for $15 a few years ago, so mine doesn't expire til mid-2015.

I am okay with this. While I think it's an erosion of their brand principles they're offering great value in plus. While that remains the same I don't have a problem with it.

potam

Banned
I think it won't be that big of a deal as long as they don't draw back the current benefits of PS+. If the IGC remains the same size and the discounts are the same quality they are now, I'm fine with it.

I never had PS+ on the PS3, but I was planning on getting it day one for this anyways.

k9y5A6o.jpg

OP needs to update thread with this

If I didn't already have vita and plus...

Considering most of these reveals will be on pc with free multiplayer, will be way cheaper, with mods and graphical options, this feels more like an advertisement for PC gaming than a Sony conference

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Non-immersive online gameplay confirmed not behind paywall?

zychi

Banned
PS+ is hella cheap, and I think someone on Gaf (Wario maybe?) has like 6 years lined up from that Target sale.

I don't mind paying for online multiplayer access if it means we get dedicated servers for every game. (No idea if this is true or not, just assuming since XBONE is doing it)

This is a real shame, but there is too much incentive for Sony to let this pass. It will be interesting to see the impact this will have on hype. Personally PS+ has provided me enough additional benefit that I will continue to pay, but it will be hard to convince my friends. Maybe some games will come with passes or Sony will offer discounts...

Hazanko

Banned
I pay for plus but making people pay to play online is stupid. Many people don't pay to play DCUO but they spend money on other stuff, same for people who don't have plus but pay for dlc map and all that crap.

It just adds something that takes away the choice many people loved having with ps3.

BigDug13

Assume a 6 year lifecycle. $360 has just been added to the cost of a PS4. Maybe that's why they call it PS+. It's arithmetic.

"if you don't have PS+, you can still play singleplayer games offline and enjoy our media services"

Ps+ is $50 a year, not $60. Also 20 free games on sign up and another 5 each month assuming you also own a Vita.

That's unfortunate. So close, then a snag.
The access to games with the subscription makes it a little easier to swallow but it's still unfortunate.

DBT85

Already have PS+ so as I said before, not an issue to me, but a shame if this does indeed proove to be the case.

Buzzman

Banned
Frankly I don't see how it's so bad, for only 60 bucks I get several (indie and retail) games every year which saves me money.

Chakan

Been paying Plus since day one. Don't care about needing that to MP.

Plus is way more worth it than anything u get on Live Gold.

What I wanted was no DRM and own the games I bought and do whatever I want. I got that, so I'm ok.

So I think it's the "immersive" part that will be behind the paywall. So the stuff Jack announced on stage like cross game chat will require PS+, but normal MP stays free.

Real bummer, but I suppose this is the compromise.

Overall, I think the community still made a difference.

Netflix not behind a paywall is still a thing.

Revan

He said something along the lines of if you aren't a PS+ member, you'll still be able to play your SP games and access multimedia content (hopefully means Netflix won't go behind a paywall). Not outright confirmation, but seems pretty implied with that statement that you need PS+ for online MP.

Netflix et el. wont require PS+ - just MP, and I'm wondering if you can do the online pass thing with specific games (like COD Ghsts new comes with a code for the MP - otherwise it's like 10$ on PSN).

Given the fact that there is NO DRM and what I buy is mine to do with as I please, I'm more then ok with PS+ for mp. The consumer benefits alone make me ok with this.

Zabka

I guess I was naive to think there wouldn't be some sort of concession. I can't complain...I've been paying for XBL for years.

I expect a $499 price tag too.

Top Bottom