• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN sub accounts can now upgrade to master accounts

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Old?

You can now upgrade your sub account to a master account!

Whats happening?

I'm happy to announce the introduction of a long requested feature to your PlayStation experience. SEN sub account holders who are over 18 can now upgrade their existing account to a master account! Upgrading to a master account will allow you access to the full range of online and account features without losing access to your Friends List, Trophies and any Store content purchased on the sub account (even if funded by the master account).

How will this affect the original master account?

• The master account holder will receive notification via e-mail once the upgrade is complete.
  • The master account holder will not need to authorise the upgrade and cannot block the upgrade.
  • The master account is no longer responsible for any purchases or subscriptions made by the sub account.
  • The master account holder gains an extra slot should they wish to add any extra sub accounts to your master account.
What happens to the stuff I've already purchased?

Content and services will be linked to the account that was used to purchase them. So any content purchased when signed in to the the Sub account will then belong to the new, upgraded master account. Any content purchased on the original master account will remain linked to it.

What can my new master account do?

The upgraded account has all the features of a master account with access to Friends, Trophies subscriptions as well as social/sharing features and an empty wallet for Store purchases.

Please note the upgraded account will be responsible for any pre-orders or subscription renewals active from before the upgrade.

How do I upgrade my sub account?

To begin with you can only upgrade your sub account using the Sony Entertainment Network website. For full instructions on how to upgrade your sub account please click here

SFZ

PSN is down for maintenance at the moment, but once it goes back up you can upgrade by:

How to upgrade a sub account

Sign in to the sub account using PSN℠ sign in details:

PlayStation®App
  1. Tap Image [PlayStation®Store] on the home screen and go to Image [Online ID] > [Account Settings].
PlayStation®Store
  1. Go to PlayStation®Store. Sign in, go to your Online ID at the top of the page and click [Account Settings].
Account Management website
Click here and sign in for the account management site.
  1. Select [Upgrade Your Account] on the Dashboard.
  2. Read and agree to the SEN Terms of Service.
  3. You may need to sign out and sign back in to complete the process.
  4. You now have a master account!

SerTapTap

Megaton. I have no use for it, but holy crap that was a bad situation to be in until now. I wonder how many accounts were already abandoned though.

Drame

Bit fucking late, I've already had to make a new account which now has hundreds of PS+ games attached to it.
Yup, seems rather odd to push the feature out after so many requests over the years.

Although, this totally makes me optimistic about the possibility of changing the PSN name in future.

Better late than never. I am sorry for the people that weren't able to take advantage of it, but it is good for everyone that will need it going forward.

Although, this totally makes me optimistic about the possibility of changing the PSN name in future.

This is all I want and need. I have a name that I just really don't like anymore; sounded good at the time, but that was six years ago. Too many purchases and trophies to justify making a new account.

Certinty

I imagine most people who needed this have already made new accounts, but good for those who still need it.

Andrefpvs

Congratulations to everyone who wanted this! Makes me hopeful that more enhancements may come soon (specifically, to the download list).

However...

What happens to the stuff I've already purchased?

Content and services will be linked to the account that was used to purchase them. So any content purchased when signed in to the the Sub account will then belong to the new, upgraded master account. Any content purchased on the original master account will remain linked to it.

Stuff like this is why PS Vita and PS TV need multiple account support. Family members getting locked out of content because they bought it on the "wrong" account is ridiculous. (Since you can only play content from the account currently linked to the system)

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Rather late for them to do this. What will it take for changing usernames? 5 more years?

My wife unfortunately has a common Spaniard name for username and she gets harassed all the time via invites/messages. Not even that makes Sony budge to change usernames. We've tried.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
frt5ln5.gif

I have waited so damn long for this, especially when sub accounts couldn't have PS+ & I was unable to get a bunch of free Vita games.

Edit: Oh hell yeah, this also means no more logging into my master & adding funds, I can do it from my own account now.

Roussow

Wait -- guys help me out, I don't quite understand what defines a "Master Account" or a "Sub Account". I'm probably just being a fucking idiot and not thinking about this properly, but if you guys can break this down me I'd appreciate it.

For contexts sake, I have a PSN account (username "Strivedsoul01") I made it back on my PS3 in early 2008, It's also been used for my Vita, and recently my PS4, I've had PS+ for a good few years too, and it's been used for all 3 platforms,

How does this effect me?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It sounds like you have a Master account. Sub accounts are for users who were 17 or younger & aren't able to add funds unless it's through the master account. I think PS+ for a while was unavailable for sub accounts until sometime last year or so, I think.

androvsky

Congratulations to everyone who wanted this! Makes me hopeful that more enhancements may come soon (specifically, to the download list).

However...

Stuff like this is why PS Vita and PS TV need multiple account support. Family members getting locked out of content because they bought it on the "wrong" account is ridiculous. (Since you can only play content from the account currently linked to the system)

It's true they need multiple account support, but I don't see how this changes anything for current Vita users. My wife has a sub-account from my account, but everything on her Vita she had to buy through her account. I don't see that she'd lose anything if she upgraded her account to a master one, nor do I see how she'd currently be able to use any of my content.

Andrefpvs

It's true they need multiple account support, but I don't see how this changes anything for current Vita users. My wife has a sub-account from my account, but everything on her Vita she had to buy through her account. I don't see that she'd lose anything if she upgraded her account to a master one, nor do I see how she'd currently be able to use any of my content.

It doesn't change anything, I was just saying that Master and Sub accounts highlight how sometimes family members will purchase things on different accounts. While on PS3 and PS4 anyone can play regardless of who bought the stuff, that's not the case on the Vita.

But you're right; looking back I clearly didn't word my argument correctly--sorry about that!

It doesn't change anything, I was just saying that Master and Sub accounts highlight how sometimes family members will purchase things on different accounts. While on PS3 and PS4 anyone can play regardless of who bought the stuff, that's not the case on the Vita.

But you're right; looking back I clearly didn't word my argument correctly--sorry about that!

Another important issue they need to tackle.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Looks like the account.sonyentertainmentnetwork site is working again. Just finished upgrading my account. Won't carry over the $1.40 I had in my master, but whatever.

Trying to remove my debit card info from my master account to be safe, but keep getting an error. Anyone else having this issue?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Only took them nearly a decade to match an X-box Live 360 feature?

Maybe username changes will happen in 2025, guys!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Are they hella late on this? Yes. Like a lot of PSN shit they are LTTP

Is this good? Yes. Despite that it's not like you should rather they just never fix this. I get if you already made a new account, and I wouldn't exactly celebrate a feature that should have been there for a while. It's a good deal that it's finally in though.

Canklestank

Neo Member
Finally! When I got the PS3 early in its life, I was ~6 months away from the age cap, and foolishly created a sub account thinking I could just upgrade it around my birthday. Then I stuck with it long enough that it just became too inconvenient to create a new account. So I was patient and hoped they would implement this. Almost caved when I got my PS4, but I'm glad I waited.

Thanks for posting this, I would have missed it otherwise!

KTS2448

Is there a way using this new feature to allow me to make a new account and let it use my old accounts digital games, ps plus, etc.?

I just want a name change basically even if its inconvenient

Gaffi

YES!!!! I got a ps3 before I was 18 and just followed the rules and had my parent create a master account while I had a sub account, now that I'm 24 I can actually feel like a true PS citizen :p Seriously though really happy I can finally take control of my machines and keep all my trophies and account name.

So assuming I always logged in on my subaccount to purchase things I should keep all of that, right!? So glad I future proofed myself there.

Top Bottom