• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN sub accounts can now upgrade to master accounts

This is great news. Unfortunately I just added money to my account last night so I will have to spend that before I can upgrade. It will be nice to get rid of that other account finally.

hesido

Ridiculously late, but great news, nonetheless. It's not something that affected me badly but I can imagine a lot of people who'd have to leave their first PSN accounts.

I made an account very early in the lifecycle as a sub-account to my wife's account because I wasn't sure how content sharing worked/would work in the future, thought sub-accounts / master accounts was more future proof for sharing content. And yes, you could make a sub-account above the age of 18, there was no age checks!

Now, how about changing user names?

nampad

Had to make an account for my nephew last month and first read into the whole situation, which was a total mess. Ended up with making a master account with fake age instead.

First Spotify, now this?

Sony is starting to realize the real megatons aint the exclusive game reveals

Yeah, a more robust service that meets user requirements / requests is definitely up there in terms of importance. Glad they're getting om the ball.

Now we just need some details of 3.0, been too long since we had a software update.

Alo0oy

Banned
That feature is irrelevant to me, I want to be able to merge accounts, I have 3 PSN accounts, two of them I left behind on my PS3 because I don't want to complicate things on my PS4, but I have a lot of trophies on them.

Don't even know what a sub account is, what the hell is it?

Child account basically.

Can't do anything with money without master accounts permission or use any social features outside of friend requests and messaging (can't stream, record videos etc).

Arelaz

Well I can do it, that's great, but pretty late seeing as I already made a new PSN for my Vita + PS plus and PS4. Oh well.

RedAssedApe

Banned
thread title should have SHOCKING NEWS in title but unlike other SHOCKING NEWS threads...be straight faced and not tongue in check...as this really is kind of shocking that they finally implemented this lol

Bit fucking late, I've already had to make a new account which now has hundreds of PS+ games attached to it.
Yup. And my sub was my actual username of SkullHydra, so my created master account that has all of my games and data couldn't use it. I had to settle for SkuIIHydra. =/

Now I need to be able to change names...

Yup. And my sub was my actual username of SkullHydra, so my created master account that has all of my games and data couldn't use it. I had to settle for SkuIIHydra. =/

Now I need to be able to change names...

Yeah my old account is called Zefar, which is my preferred online identify. Pankratous was merely a name I created for a specific game, but now I'm stuck with it. Even worse, it has a dash on the end of it on PSN because someone created an imposter account.

Molemitts

Oh my God, this is great news! Literally just in time before I turn 18 too. lol. I did make another account but never ended up using it.

Now for name changes!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Finally. Now give us sortable download lists and I won't have any complaints.

Danlord

I really thought this thread would be a lot more active, I know how in-demand this feature was.

For me, this feature is over a year late for me. I had a sub-account back when I first had a PS3 my brother made his account and placed me on the sub-account. So my old PSN account with all my trophies and better PSN name is stuck, because I created a new one for the Vita and PS4.
Oh well, upgraded it anyways. Might come in use if I re-buy a PS3 for cheap.

I really thought this thread would be a lot more active, I know how in-demand this feature was.

For me, this feature is over a year late for me. I had a sub-account back when I first had a PS3 my brother made his account and placed me on the sub-account. So my old PSN account with all my trophies and better PSN name is stuck, because I created a new one for the Vita and PS4.
Oh well, upgraded it anyways. Might come in use if I re-buy a PS3 for cheap.

Your situation is exactly the same as mine. Sub-account under my brother, made a new account for PS4 and Vita.

Also I agree.

This is possibly the biggest and most important change Sony has ever made to PSN (not counting PS3/4 software capabilities) and it's barely getting any attention.

Niandra_LaDes

Neo Member
I've been using a sub-account since 2007. I misspelled my name on the main account and stupidly made a sub-account to change it. Been living with this for 8 years. Unable to use one of the highly touted features of the PS4. I just have too many purchases and too many trophies to have changed.

I agree that this is flying under the radar when its been one of the most asked for changes. I remember it being high on the PSblog's Share.

Septimus

Next they have to start working on changing your country as long as it's the same region. I went from Canada to US and can't change -_-

Cyport

That feature is irrelevant to me, I want to be able to merge accounts, I have 3 PSN accounts, two of them I left behind on my PS3 because I don't want to complicate things on my PS4, but I have a lot of trophies on them.

Before the launch of PS4 the sub to master account upgrade would have been amazing. Since then I've had to make a new account which has PS Plus on it. I wish that we could merge our accounts with my old one and new one as this wasn't implemented sooner but I know that is a distant possibility.

Gaffi

Sorry I haven't been on my ps4 in a few days to check myself but has anyone had a chance to upgrade their account yet? And if you did, does it take long or were there any issues with your dlc/games?

I'd imagine atleast you would have to do something where you remove the current master account and set your newly upgraded one to primary or something... I've just had my sub account on here forever so I don't have much experience with messing around with accounts on ps3/ps4. My vita has always just had my single sub account so I expect it won't change at all.

Top Bottom