• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN (Vita/PSP/PS4/PS3) Downloads Thread Z | January 2014 | The Legendary Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
Can't we have a Vita thread in the Community Section?

I tried the last time, got locked pretty quick. Pretty sure that's because they locked the vita thread last time before explaining things properly.

New OP format?

PlayStation 4 Games

Nothing yet

PlayStation 3 Games

Nothing yet

PlayStation Vita Games

Nothing yet/this op

Oh :/ Well I had fun, I'll stick around but I know the atmosphere will change for sure. I know I lurked 95% of the time but this thread was really awesome.
add me on PSN: GloriousBagel

Invite sent!

But hang around, Vitabros can adapt, can't they?

nampad

l understand why this thread is getting closed. Much of the discussion about games gets focused here instead of in the OTs or dedicated news threads.
On the other hand, the Vita community that got fostered here is unique and special and will probably get lost in the change :(
Sure, there is some echochambering and thread whining in this save haven but it is nothing compared to the constant bashing you can read about the Vita. The discussion here actually evolves around games and many of us here are very critical ourselves.

Can't say I didn't see it coming but it was nice while it lasted.

Novocaine

All right everyone, with the new year in progress, your thread is getting an upgrade as part of our platform thread revamp.

Yes, an upgrade.

So basically, we've refactored the threads the combine the downloads/service focused threads since based on the vendor since they share the same backbone networks, and (especially in the case of PlayStation) sometimes feature crossplay.

Basically:
-Steam covers most of PC/Mac/Linux
-iOS covers iPad/iPhone/iPod
-Nintendo downloads covers 3DS/Wii U
-If they ever actually put it up, Xbox Downloads will cover 360 and Xbox One
-And as such, we'd like to make these threads cover Vita *and* PS3/PS4

Ideally what we'd like from you is to keep the same format, but add in PS3 and PS4 games to the OP as well. Ideally note things that are crossplay or on multiple PlayStation platforms as well, which tends to be a rather large number of games these days.

This should also help out in any dry spell months for any given platform.

It would be great if you could update the OP of this thread itself, and then I'll update the title to reflect the new more expansive topic domain.

A little disappointed this has to happen, I joined GAF almost exclusively for the Vita monthly threads. Not that I'm against an OT that encompasses all of the PSN, I would participate there too, but would it really be so bad to have a dedicated Vita OT still?

l understand why this thread is getting closed. Much of the discussion about games gets focused here instead of in the OTs or dedicated news threads.
On the other hand, the Vita community that got fostered here is unique and special and will probably get lost in the change :(
Sure, there is some echochambering and thread whining in this save haven but it is nothing compared to the constant bashing you can read about the Vita. The discussion here actually evolves around games and many of us here are very critical ourselves.

Can't say I didn't see it coming but it was nice while it lasted.

Vita games don't often even have OTs created for them (or news threads, etc.). We're too niche. :p

Man. I think this is the only mod decision I can recall strongly disagreeing with in my six years as a GAF member. I love the community within a community of these Vita threads and the talk here is one reason I decided to get the hardware a couple months ago.

If that's how it has to be, so be it. I see it's just one part of a larger reorg for 2014. But I don't think it will be the same. Hope I'm wrong.

*pours one out*

I also support the idea of a Vita thread on the community board. It makes sense. The platform is so maligned that it would just be nice to have one safe zone to talk exclusively about it. Maybe the negativity has subsided, though. I think a lot more people see the merits of the platform now, even if they don't own one.

cyborg009

Banned
I think the PSP was stuff was a joke. But anyways its a shame to see this thread go but with the new Thread PSV/PS3/PS4 that thread is going to move fast. Usually these monthly Vita threads go up too 200 pages each month.

Yopis

Well sad news about the change. Don't post much here anymore but always check the thread since the system launched. Great while It lasted.

Psn kincade

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
We love you for importing Japanese Vita games!

I can understand the reasoning behind this move but I am also worried that the atmosphere of this thread will change. Following this thread actually convinced my to buy a Vita and it was always nice to get information on niche Vita-titles.
Just have to wait and see, I guess.

Hahaha thanks...
T___________________T

Well, I do own PS3 but I am not gonna buy a PS4 in any foreseeable future due to circumstances, so yeah I am worried about how this change will affect the wonderful VitaGAF community we have. It's like we are our own little (probably dysfunctional but still lovable!) family.

OmegaZero

Vitabros form VitaGAF thread
*VitaGAF gets re-branded in the form of hiding the purpose of the thread ever so slightly more
Vitabros enter GAF after humiliation but sense overwhelming negativity in all forms towards the thing they're here to talk about
Vitabros become more modest (for a while), put on cloaks, and enter secret VitaGAF thread :p

*repeat here

The destiny of VitaGAF: forever wandering the plains of the internet - unloved by all but those who share their pain. :b

Also, I forgot to ask: how did you find the touch controls for Eufloria? Several reviews I've read mentioned issues with identifying and selecting units, but it seems that it's not necessarily deep enough to warrant that kind of management?

Vita games don't often even have OTs created for them (or news threads, etc.). We're too niche. :p

so true. its why this thread became what it was. theres no place for people and their niche vita questions.

this will be the death of the hobbits vitabros/vitagals.

so this thread is supposed to stay open and just be about general psn talk??

man my posts per day are going to drop so fast.

seriously - ps3/ps4 users will shun our talk in those threads and restOfGaf will shun everything we post elsewhere....now I know how lepers feel

I just hope BlackLagoon stays on top of his upcoming vita game list on giantbomb and BlueMaxima keeps up with his videos

The only thing us vita owners can do is make threads and support and post in them whenever they pop up. damn it's a shame - this thread! ;___;

Well sad news about the change. Don't post much here anymore but always check the thread since the system launched. Great while It lasted.

Psn kincade

so YOU'RE kincade

vehn

Just spent $430 on a new vita, 64 GB memory card, three games, and a case / film. Can't wait for it to arrive! Plus it comes with three digital games and I got a bunch of games already downloaded from PS + over the last year

Skyzard

Banned
The destiny of VitaGAF: forever wandering the plains of the internet - unloved by all but those who share their pain. :b

Also, I forgot to ask: how did you find the touch controls for Eufloria? Several reviews I've read mentioned issues with identifying and selecting units, but it seems that it's not necessarily deep enough to warrant that kind of management?

There are certain objects that do need a bit more micro management (flowers and lasers) - sometimes you'll be too far zoomed out to select them (or they'll be selected instead of the planets) - need to zoom in more. Takes a bit to get used to but after a few hours playing (each stage is like half an hour) - I'm all over it. Just all over it. I haven't finished the campaign yet, last few levels. And I switched to easier difficulty for the last few stages. Might be more tense in challenging, but you can always slow down the speed (buttons on top-left) when you want to micro-manage or strategise or appreciate your army/battles.

I really wish they added proper controls too and let you choose. The touch controls are very well done though and would probably be better than non-touchscreen controls ALONE - but the thing is I think they want you to use one hand to support the Vita and the other to do the inputs, which makes sense. I guess I can see why they didn't bother. It's a great game though :)

Flandy

It's a bit of a shame, but maybe things won't change too much.

If PSP is the little brother, what is PSM? The weird cousin no one likes perhaps?

PSP was the older cooler brother but then got married and settled down. We're trying to follow in the footsteps of are brother but just can't seem to do it. PSM is the middle child nobody cares about

ZeroAKA

Just because the thread is changing doesn't mean you guys have to leave. The general PSN thread is still going to be the Vita thread in spirit. :/

if I'm 100% digital and all my games come from psn does that mean I can still post in here?

Just spent $430 on a new vita, 64 GB memory card, three games, and a case / film. Can't wait for it to arrive! Plus it comes with three digital games and I got a bunch of games already downloaded from PS + over the last year

welcome man! congrats such a special handheld you got there. enjoy it!

Well guys, so I think I won't discuss about the Vita on this forum anymore... any alternatives?

If I can't have a place where I can enjoy discussion with people who enjoy the platform, without any "no games" or "why isn't X on PS4, why don't Sony kill the Vita?". Hell, sometimes we got some of these posts around here, it'll get a lot worse on a thread full of PS3/PS4 owners.

Good, maybe now people can also discuss vita's issues without passive aggressiveness from other users.

Ahh i'll miss reading these Vita threads.

But if I had a question about a specific Vita title i'd ask here rather than searching out a dedicated OT. So if it brings more life back into those then I hope it works out as intended. Perhaps links to OT's in the OP for each months new titles will help them to be found a litle easier?

Flandy

Just because the thread is changing doesn't mean you guys have to leave. The general PSN thread is still going to be the Vita thread in spirit. :/

We'll all be shunned out of this thread in a year or two when devs start focusing more on the new consoles >__<

Prelude.

I'm sad that I didn't make it in time. Considering the 2000 is still not announced I'm gonna be posting in "here" when everything will be gone. :(

OmegaZero

There are certain objects that do need a bit more micro management (flowers and lasers) - sometimes you'll be too far zoomed out to select them (or they'll be selected instead of the planets) - need to zoom in more. Takes a bit to get used to but after a few hours playing (each stage is like half an hour) - I'm all over it. Just all over it. I haven't finished the campaign yet, last few levels. And I switched to easier difficulty for the last few stages. Might be more tense in challenging, but you can always slow down the speed (buttons on top-left) when you want to micro-manage or strategise or appreciate your army/battles.

I really wish they added proper controls too and let you choose. The touch controls are very well done though and would probably be better than non-touchscreen controls ALONE - but the thing is I think they want you to use one hand to support the Vita and the other to do the inputs, which makes sense. I guess I can see why they didn't bother. It's great though :)

Sounds awesome. Thanks for the detailed answer. :D
Guess I'll use this to tide me over until Frozen Synapse: Tactics comes out.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Ugh, not again. I'm not exactly excited to talk over/under two other completely different platforms in the same thread.

I think VitaGAF has done a pretty good job making new threads for new news and keeping the rest of the board flooded with topics whenever something happens.

Oh well.

Even more reason to make our mark in the new PSN thread early on.

are you implying we flood the new thread with PSN-vita related discussion? haha

they keep trying to force the creation of news specific threads on us. crowdsourcing "articles" so the man can get hits and paid.

Skyzard

Banned
Sounds awesome. Thanks for the detailed answer. :D
Guess I'll use this to tide me over until Frozen Synapse: Tactics comes out.

Anytime! Let me know if you think it's rubbish or whatever so I can add some notes to when I recommend it. I don't hear much about it (at all) and I enjoy it so much I may be overlooking things others don't. But I think you'll enjoy it :)

Man. I think this is the only mod decision I can recall strongly disagreeing with in my six years as a GAF member. I love the community within a community of these Vita threads and the talk here is one reason I decided to get the hardware a couple months ago.

If that's how it has to be, so be it. I see it's just one part of a larger reorg for 2014. But I don't think it will be the same. Hope I'm wrong.

*pours one out*

I also support the idea of a Vita thread on the community board. It makes sense. The platform is so maligned that it would just be nice to have one safe zone to talk exclusively about it. Maybe the negativity has subsided, though. I think a lot more people see the merits of the platform now, even if they don't own one.

Agreed, I really don't see why it is so frowned upon here. I guess they can't please everyone though...

ZeroAKA

are you implying we flood the new thread with PSN-vita related discussion? haha

they keep trying to force the creation of news specific threads on us. crowdsourcing "articles" so the man can get hits and paid.
Maybe not flood, but we should continue to keep a steady Vita discussion in the new thread to convince more people to get a Vita.

Maedhros

Good, maybe now people can also discuss vita's issues without passive aggressiveness from other users.

Vita issues are well known. Any amount of discussion is useless as we can't do shit for it. It's just a niche device, with some good games and will stay this way.

Discussions won't solve Vita's problem. The point of the thread was for people who actually own and enjoy the system make recommendations, post opinions on games they were playing, not to recruit new owners or to try to search the solution to the platform. At least that's how I always seen this thread.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=284806
^ This guy. Usually, his posts have titles.
As said, works great and lives up to the name. Also made by a gaffer who posts in these threads (you'll see from the avatar).
Wait, he made that game? Huh, had no idea.
You guys... You guys are adorable.
I was just going to let the facade run for the lolz
also I forgot to respond
but since change is a coming, best clear that up.

ALSO, is Houston VitaGAF possible? I don't have a massive online presence but I'm a pretty snarky/likable dude in real life. PM me if your interested. Or send a friend request.
PSN is same as username. Say your from GAF though.
Or say something here! Doesn't really matter. And finally, I don't know the age breakdown here. But I'm 21. I only say so because the reason I stopped using Near is because I don't want to get caught with freaking 11 year olds sending me their pictures and locations. IT'S HAPPENED AND I WAS CREEPED THE HELL OUT.

Flandy

Maybe not flood, but we should continue to keep a steady Vita discussion in the new thread to convince more people to get a Vita.

I'm here because I like discussing the Vita with other gaffers.
I'm not here to be PR for Sony and market the Vita to others

You guys... You guys are adorable.
I was just going to let the facade run for the lolz
also I forgot to respond
but since change is a coming, best clear that up.

ALSO, is Houston VitaGAF possible? I don't have a massive online presence but I'm a pretty snarky/likable dude in real life. PM me if your interested. Or send a friend request.
PSN is same as username. Say your from GAF though.
Or say something here! Doesn't really matter. And finally, I don't know the age breakdown here. But I'm 21. I only say so because the reason I stopped using Near is because I don't want to get caught with freaking 11 year olds sending me their pictures and locations. IT'S HAPPENED AND I WAS CREEPED THE HELL OUT.
They made me look like a fool ;__;

OmegaZero

Anytime! Let me know if you think it's rubbish or whatever so I can add some notes to when I recommend it. I don't hear much about it (at all) and I enjoy it so much I may be overlooking things others don't. But I think you'll enjoy it :)

I've enjoyed most of your other recommendations, and I'm not too picky when it comes to Vita games so I'm sure I'll like this. But you never know. ;)

I'm pretty sure this actually happens frequently in the recent series of Vita PSN Game & Service threads.

ZeroAKA

I'm here because I like discussing the Vita with other gaffers.
I'm not here to be PR for Sony and market the Vita to others
New people joined VItaGAF because they've heard/seen good things about the Vita from people like us, which is part of the reason why this thread is so popular. Who are you going to discuss the Vita with if nobody buys it?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
We'll all be shunned out of this thread in a year or two when devs start focusing more on the new consoles >__<

Hopefully by then devs also start focusing on Vita!

>___>

So right now we're just waiting for this thread lock? Just do it already and spare us the agony in waiting *cue dramatic music*

All right everyone, with the new year in progress, your thread is getting an upgrade as part of our platform thread revamp.

Yes, an upgrade.

So basically, we've refactored the threads the combine the downloads/service focused threads since based on the vendor since they share the same backbone networks, and (especially in the case of PlayStation) sometimes feature crossplay.

Basically:
-Steam covers most of PC/Mac/Linux
-iOS covers iPad/iPhone/iPod
-Nintendo downloads covers 3DS/Wii U
-If they ever actually put it up, Xbox Downloads will cover 360 and Xbox One
-And as such, we'd like to make these threads cover Vita *and* PS3/PS4

Ideally what we'd like from you is to keep the same format, but add in PS3 and PS4 games to the OP as well. Ideally note things that are crossplay or on multiple PlayStation platforms as well, which tends to be a rather large number of games these days.

This should also help out in any dry spell months for any given platform.

It would be great if you could update the OP of this thread itself, and then I'll update the title to reflect the new more expansive topic domain.

This is complete nonsense and whoever came up with it / whoever decided it needed to be a thing needs to lose their adminship.

If anyone still wants Vita related discussions you can still visit us over at Reddit.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Is coolasj19 even your real alias??
But I revel in my foolishness. You could probably find one of my addresses if you looked hard enough. If I had a stalker I would totally talk to them and see if they wanted to hang out. I could have sworn I owned The Impossible Game on PSP and Android. I'll just rebuy the Mini's whenever I go to get money for Sparkle.

baekshi

Banned
Where's the bigboss pic?! Someone go cap the vita version for us!

Things should be okay, hopefully. We in this together vitabros

sure there is one
nzUEHt2.jpg

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
vita thread's being shut down? what absolute bullshit

anyone want to add me on psn before our turn to irrelevance, please do: cool_calm_jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom