• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN (Vita/PSP/PS4/PS3) Downloads Thread Z | January 2014 | The Legendary Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's Winter 2014 in Japan, that says November or December to me. So even with a two month delay it'll be January or February 2015 for the US. Would be beyond stoked to have it in 2014 though.

Hrm. Only thing we know about P5 is "Winter 2014", but Winter only starts at the very end of December, right?

Yeah, my mistake, I thought it was just "2014." It'll probably be like February 2015 then.

Because we thought (perhaps wrongly) that y'all would be happier to get some warning and have continuity in terms of OPs, rather than just have your current thread unceremoniously shut down while you waited around for a somewhat different replacement.

Why didn't you have your replacement ready to go? Even better, introduce them in Feburary so people can get used to it right then and there? This whole thing seems really half-assed. And were you really thinking about deleting our topic outright and just leaving us flopping around waiting for an actual replacement? That's completely ridiculous.

incpdo

Why didn't you have your replacement ready to go? Even better, introduce them in Feburary so people can get used to it right then and there? This whole thing seems really half-assed.

Idem to this opinion. Coertion comes to mind, of course in a more digital way of doing things.

RalchAC

I'm confused.

And then we wait for them to trickle to Europe if Atlus tries that region locking thing again (or will have to wait anyway for Persona Q).

No idea why Sega isn't picking up the Europe publishing slack yet.

I hope Atlus doesn't do any dirty trick to region lock Persona 5. We've been waiting for around six months and SMT IV hasn't been released here yet... I won't be able to stand a 9 months delay for Persona 5.

So recommendations for the 50ppp and the other guys too: Buy Guacamelee Metroidvania excelent platform game, and do not forget to buy square enix related stuff on PSN , the more the best.

Guacamelee is pretty good, and I think it was free on EU PS+, so people don't have a excuse! It's pretty fun and I liked it, not enough to 100% it (yet) buy it was enjoyable and difficulty was nice and usually fair.

incpdo

I'm confused.

I hope Atlus doesn't do any dirty trick to region lock Persona 5. We've been waiting for around six months and SMT IV hasn't been released here yet... I won't be able to stand a 9 months delay for Persona 5.

Guacamelee is pretty good, and I think it was free on EU PS+, so people don't have a excuse! It's pretty fun and I liked it, not enough to 100% it (yet) buy it was enjoyable and difficulty was nice and usually fair.

Yeah those guys knows about the platform games genre, i mean Tales from Space is an excellent Title that everyone should have in they memory cards.. That ending level was so satisfying to play.

What i dont get is why you should completely "nuke" a thread like this, just becouse you have created a new one focused on 3 different platforms?

As I already mentioned, this has to do with our overall strategy for all download platform threads. None of the 6+ platforms we support really operated in the same way, so if we were going to standardize them there were going to be changes to most of them.

So lets say i create an Unofficial Vita Thread, would that one being "nuked" to?

Yes.

I only joined VitaGAF on Black Friday, but to me this change doesn't make any sense. At all. There's cool people here who want to talk about a relatively niche but currently active platform. They don't bother anybody and nobody bothers them. So what exactly is this change going to accomplish? The people who are talking about PS3 and PS4 games are already talking about them in their OTs. There isn't any reason to make them come here. And if they all did arrive, then the few people who are here talking about the Vita will be scattered to the four winds and the pleasant community here will die, and for what exactly?

On Reddit you would just make your own subreddit, on 4chan you make yourself an eternal OT which people carry on in perpetuity if there's enough interest. These are both accepted practices, so what's the deal with NeoGAF trying to sort communities apart like some kind of gerrymandering?

baekshi

Banned
As I already mentioned, this has to do with our overall strategy for all download platform threads. None of the 6+ platforms we support really operated in the same way, so if we were going to standardize them there were going to be changes to most of them.

Seems like PSP has been overlooked.

Its part of the PSN service.

PSN (Vita/PSP/PS4/PS3) Downloads Thread Z | January 2014 | The Legendary Change

As I already mentioned, this has to do with our overall strategy for all download platform threads. None of the 6+ platforms we support really operated in the same way, so if we were going to standardize them there were going to be changes to most of them..

What is your "overall strategy"? I'm willing to bet you don't have one yet and are using us as a testbed to figure out what you can and can't do before actually coming up with one.

Acid08

Banned
I only joined VitaGAF on Black Friday, but to me this change doesn't make any sense. At all. There's cool people here who want to talk about a relatively niche but currently active platform. They don't bother anybody and nobody bothers them. So what exactly is this change going to accomplish? The people who are talking about PS3 and PS4 games are already talking about them in their OTs. There isn't any reason to make them come here. The people who are here talking about the Vita will be scattered to the four winds and the pleasant community here will die, and for what exactly?
Why are people talking about Tearaway in here when there's a perfectly good OT to talk about it in?

Hasney

Yeah, I couldn't handle it. My old 60GB BC PS3 does have CFW for ripping all my blu-rays to and modding WWE games with texture replacements, but it's on it's way out with random shutdowns now and again and I've already had to replace the blu-ray drive. I may just leave my PS3 off until P5 comes out to ensure it's survival in case I have to import, rip and patch out the region lock like was possible with Arena.

bedlamite

charlequin, forgive me for not reading your previous posts on the matter, but why are the mods jacking the Vita thread and renaming it as the PSN discussion thread?

Why kill the Vita community discussion here?

Why are people talking about Tearaway in here when there's a perfectly good OT to talk about it in?

You're implying anybody would know there was an OT for that game, which they wouldn't because it would be instantly buried. That's why platforms get OTs at 4chan you know, for the little niche games that can't sustain a thread on their own.

breakfuss

LOL, was wondering how I got sub'd to this. Not sure how I feel about the change. That thread was one of the reasons I kept my vita during its rocky times. Here's to hoping the passionate discourse isn't drowned out.

Acid08

Banned
There is a Tearaway OT?

Still, this game is downloadable title.
It's a retail game too. Point is that all of the exact same discussions can take place here that did before. And if people are telling PS3/4 owners to just go to the OT for the game they want to talk about then the same could be told to Vita owners.

You're implying anybody would know there was an OT for that game, which they wouldn't because it would be instantly buried. That's why platforms get OTs at 4chan you know, for the little niche games that can't sustain a thread on their own.

Maybe it would be more active if people posted about it in the OT than in a general thread, novel concept huh?

incpdo

Yes.

Still doesnt make sense about the "nuke" thing is like you want to make soup of information with different things mixed up instead of having specific threads for specific platforms but i cannot see in wich way benefits us as users, i understand you will have less work as mods. But let me say my opinion if i still can (i dont know for how long): One of the biggest gaming forums in the internet yet you chose to not have platform specific mega threads about , platform specific downloads stuff. So yeah great strategy. But thats ok , it will be easier and more comfortable for me to talk about Vita games and track Vita posts with two more platforms on the way. No, i dont beleive so.

RalchAC

On which platform?

On VITAAAA!!! xD

Why can't we talk about Tearaway in both? I know quite some people that has posted things here and has posted in the OT too. If the conversation flows and someone brings up Tearaway, I don't think we need to say: Go to the OT!

Yeah, I couldn't handle it. My old 60GB BC PS3 does have CFW for ripping all my blu-rays to and modding WWE games with texture replacements, but it's on it's way out with random shutdowns now and again and I've already had to replace the blu-ray drive. I may just leave my PS3 off until P5 comes out to ensure it's survival in case I have to import, rip and patch out the region lock like was possible with Arena.

Yep, the problem is that my PS3 is a Super Slim and those models can't be downgraded to 3.55 (i think you have to install CFW that way) so... T.T

There is a Tearaway OT?

Still, this game is downloadable title.

Yep, there is a Tearaway OT, but I think there really is quite some time since last time I saw it in the first 3-5 pages.

jonno394

My issue will be when I see a great looking screenshot, assume it is from a PS Vita game, get excited then have my hopes dashed when "sorry brah it's a PS3 game"

edit - WOuld a dedicated PS Vita thread be viable in the community tab?

Acid08

Banned
Why can't we talk about Tearaway in both? I know quite some people that has posted things here and has posted in the OT too. If the conversation flows and someone brings up Tearaway, I don't think we need to say: Go to the OT!
Did I even suggest that it couldn't be discussed in both? But complaining about the OT being dead is dumb because you guys did that by not keeping it afloat! All Vita discussion just moved into the general thread leaving the rest to die. This actually was a good thing though because it exposed people to discussion of games hat didn't have active threads. And now that, theoretically, can be done for all of PSN in one place. It's not a world ending change.

My issue will be when I see a great looking screenshot, assume it is from a PS Vita game, get excited then have my hopes dashed when "sorry brah it's a PS3 game"

edit - WOuld a dedicated PS Vita thread be viable in the community tab?

Nope, you'd get nuked.

Did I even suggest that it couldn't be discussed in both? But complaining about the OT being dead is dumb because you guys did that by not keeping it afloat! All Vita discussion just moved into the general thread leaving the rest to die. This actually was a good thing though because it exposed people to discussion of games hat didn't have active threads. And now that, theoretically, can be done for all of PSN in one place. It's not a world ending change.

Keeping discussion about a game like Tearaway going more than a couple of weeks is really difficult, considering there's only so much you can really SAY about it. OTs die because there's little or no discussion left to have.

Hasney

My "overall strategy" is to beat all the Vita games I own in the first quarter of the year.

Beaten 2014

Persona 4 Golden
Gravity Rush
Teraway

In Progress
Need For Speed Most Wanted
Wipeout 2048
SMT: Persona
Everybody's Golf
Jet Set Radio
Touch My Katamari

To Play
Soul Sacrifice
Stranger's Wrath HD
Jak Trilogy
(Maybe) Uncharted (Hated all the PS3 ones, so it's a last priority)

RalchAC

Ah, sorry, I suppose I read it wrong. Half my reading comprehension is blocked until I drink my beloved morning coffee, so there is that.

And, since all Vita games had a downloable version, we can talk about every Vita game here, right? xD

incpdo

Nope, you'd get nuked.

Keeping discussion about a game like Tearaway going more than a couple of weeks is really difficult, considering there's only so much you can really SAY about it. OTs die because there's little or no discussion left to have.

Yeaah freedom of expression! Nuked is the new word, should be in the title , like "PSN general multiplatform Thread- Dont create specific OT or you are nuked!

Acid08

Banned
Ah, sorry, I suppose I read it wrong. Half my reading comprehension is blocked until I drink my beloved morning coffee, so there is that.

And, since all Vita games had a downloable version, we can talk about every Vita game here, right? xD
Yeah, it's a PSN thread. Games released on PSN should be discussed and that includes all Vita games. The Vita discussion will only die if the pissed off Vitadudes stop posting because they don't like more people being included in the thread.

Wow... really shitty what's been done to this thread.

I know I don't post in here much, but I've always enjoyed reading this thread and I really don't see any good coming from making it just a general thread rather than Vita specific.

Yeah, it's a PSN thread. Games released on PSN should be discussed and that includes all Vita games. The Vita discussion will only die if the pissed off Vitadudes stop posting because they don't like more people being included in the thread.

But eventually that's going to include PS4, because every PS4 game has been released digitally. And Sony might end up releasing more PS3 games on the PS Store. Having "PSN" in the title implies digital download games only, because that's how it's always been.

I took that as somebody implying they'd just go and make an un-official thread in the gaming forum, I though that the "community" sub-section was for people with the same interest to gather in a dedicated thread....

Man I don't have a goddamn clue. I feel like this is the whole Microsoft hiding Xbox One's DRM on a smaller scale again - bits of information here and there with no real solid one source to go to for help.

Acid08

Banned
But eventually that's going to include PS4, because every PS4 game has been released digitally. And Sony might end up releasing more PS3 games on the PS Store. Having "PSN" in the title implies digital download games only, because that's how it's always been.
Yeah but all discussion of every game isn't going to be happening in here. Why would people post about Battlefield 4 in this thread when there's an OT for it?

Massa

Because this isn't just about this thread, it's about our general policy for platform threads, and also because we don't make a habit of consulting people in advance about what moderation decisions are going to be.

Your general policy for platform threads seems to ignore a basic principle that fuels any community: people with similar interests get together and talk about them. Forcing Wii U/3DS and PS3/PS4/Vita to be in a single thread seems to ignore that completely.

Grouping Vita and Playstation home consoles together, or 3DS and Wii U, is like having a single thread for discussion of sports that use a ball. Or grouping NBA, NHL, NFL and all other N* leagues together. It's just artificially grouping people with different interests together and it makes no sense at all.

Unfortunately it seems like most mods only actively participate in the Steam threads, which is unsurprisingly not changing at all. Why not merge that with iOS and Android gaming, since they're all personal computing devices?

RpgN

This doesn't make sense...

The PS3 and PS4 communities are huge and very different from the Vita community. It's nothing like the Wii U and 3DS community where owners overlap each other and there is less digital content being released. PS console owners just want handelds to disappear and have all the games. This is going to make things worse, it's a mistake to lump them together.

Secondly, what was the point of having monthly threads if you were going to apply this change in the first place? Why is there a need for change all the time, even when it's not what the community wants? Sorry, but I don't like where this is heading.

jonno394

Man I don't have a goddamn clue. I feel like this is the whole Microsoft hiding Xbox One's DRM on a smaller scale again - bits of information here and there with no real solid one source to go to for help.

Ours is not to reason why. Ours is but to do and die....i'm still talking about upcoming/unreleased/rumoured games in this thread even though the mods seem to think this is only a store front thread.

I'm starting to think Football Manager is slowly being scrapped. We're over half way through the football season, do they really think people are going to be interested in buying it in April when the season is more or less over and the new titles is literally a few months away. SPorts Interactive don't seem to be the best at communicating anything effectively either, just go to their forums to see people querying the title and the mods/admin are saying nothing :/

What's going to happen to the PS+ thread? Will it be merged into this one?

As it stands I imagine most PS3/PS4 PSN discussion happens in that thread.

Yeah but all discussion of every game isn't going to be happening in here. Why would people post about Battlefield 4 in this thread when there's an OT for it?

Because that's a game with an active multiplayer scene on a more popular system. You picked a really bad game to contrast with Tearaway.

Acid08

Banned
Your general policy for platform threads seems to ignore a basic principle that fuels any community: people with similar interests get together and talk about them. Forcing Wii U/3DS and PS3/PS4/Vita to be in a single thread seems to ignore that completely.

Grouping Vita and Playstation home consoles together, or 3DS and Wii U, is like having a single thread for discussion of sports that use a ball. Or grouping NBA, NHL, NFL and all other N* leagues together. It's just artificially grouping people with different interests together and it makes no sense at all.

Unfortunately it seems like most mods only actively participate in the Steam threads, which is unsurprisingly not changing at all. Why not merge that with iOS and Android gaming, since they're all personal computing devices?
This is an awful argument. PSN is a shared network across platforms, in fact with crossbuy and crossplay it's more shared than any of the other networks. It makes sense that there is a general PSN thread, seems people are just pissed off that it's coming at the expense of a Vita general thread.

Hasney

I played BF4 on Vita remote play and it has been the only time I've booted the game since buying it. The server lag was so bad that when I threw a grenade, 20 came out in a laggy fashion, all landed in the same place and merged as one grenade.

Explosion looked great on "dat OLED", as the kids say.

This is an awful argument. PSN is a shared network across platforms, in fact with crossbuy and crossplay it's more shared than any of the other networks. It makes sense that there is a general PSN thread, seems people are just pissed off that it's coming at the expense of a Vita general thread.

You're being ignorant of how this is an issue.

incpdo

Maybe becouse on the OT you could talk about something specific regarding that game ,like how i can pass that level or how can i do that thing , and here you will probably have some opinions related to the game as this is a general thread.

Massa

This is an awful argument. People talk about games, not services. Cross buy and Cross play are not that common, and when it does happen the games can usually stand their own thread, like Hotline Miami and Guacamelee did for example.

Now seriously, humblebundle.com seems to group Windows/Mac/Linux/Android. Why isn't GAF doing the same?

Acid08

Banned
Maybe becouse on the OT you could talk about something specific regarding that game ,like how i can pass that level or how can i do that thing , and here you will probably have some opinions related to the game as this is a general thread.
You can still do that. Who is saying that you can't? A GENERAL thread is for GENERAL questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom