• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN (Vita/PSP/PS4/PS3) Downloads Thread Z | January 2014 | The Legendary Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

RpgN

This is an awful argument. PSN is a shared network across platforms, in fact with crossbuy and crossplay it's more shared than any of the other networks. It makes sense that there is a general PSN thread, seems people are just pissed off that it's coming at the expense of a Vita general thread.

Then let's have a multiplatform thread for PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, Wii U and handhelds. See how silly that sounds? It's the same principle.

RalchAC

Because that's a game with an active multiplayer scene on a more popular system. You picked a really bad game to contrast with Tearaway.

Bioshock Infinite is a better example. I think the OT died after 2 months or so and the talk later went to those LTTP / I'm disapointed / OMFG best game ever threads.

And later to the DLC threads and that stuff.

I think OT threads last a lot less time in games that only have single player, since there isn't that much replayability. Usually the ones that keep going and going have a popular MP.

And as you RPGn has said, the Vita community is really different from a lot of PS owners. I want to keep posting here, but will I do that if those jerks that want the Vita to die a miserable death so they can play all SCE games on their PS3/4 start posting? Probably not. The Vita thread was a place where we could talk without people interrupting and spouting some irrational hate. I hope that doesn't change, but it's unlikely :(

This is an awful argument. PSN is a shared network across platforms, in fact with crossbuy and crossplay it's more shared than any of the other networks. It makes sense that there is a general PSN thread, seems people are just pissed off that it's coming at the expense of a Vita general thread.

Pretty much.

I think it's great to have a PSN thread, but I honestly don't care about PS3/PS4 news for the most part, and anything important about PS3/PS4 will have its own thread anyway. I know big Vita news will also get its own thread, but I enjoyed having a dedicated Vita thread to find out every little thing going on with the Vita(sales, updates, upcoming games, imports, etc.) and ask questions specific to the Vita platform(grips, cases, hardware questions, game recommendations, etc.)

That said, I'm sure the mods know what they're doing and maybe we'll all enjoy it more once we get used to the new system. The world isn't going to descend into chaos without the Vita thread, but I'll miss those monthly thread titles.

Foshy

I understand that we're not supposed to have megathreads, but...isn't this basically an even bigger megathread now?

This thread seems basically useless as we have kassatsus weekly topics about new PSN releases + OTs for every game. The general Vita discussion thread that was before had a reason to exist, at least, and if it's not ok maybe it's better to close it down completely instead of turning it into this confusing and superflous three-headed monster of a thread.

Pretty much.

I think it's great to have a PSN thread, but I honestly don't care about PS3/PS4 news for the most part, and anything important about PS3/PS4 will have its own thread anyway. I know big Vita news will also get its own thread, but I enjoyed having a dedicated Vita thread to find out every little thing going on with the Vita(sales, updates, upcoming games, imports, etc.) and ask questions specific to the Vita platform(grips, cases, hardware questions, game recommendations, etc.)

That said, I'm sure the mods know what they're doing and maybe we'll all enjoy it more once we get used to the new system. The world isn't going to descend into chaos without the Vita thread, but I'll miss those monthly thread titles.

They really don't know what they're doing. They brought this up out of nowhere, with a half assed post, an apparent half assed plan, and are refusing to answer important questions.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I don't know the specifics, but I for one am willing to carry on here as if nothing's happened.

So I bought Wipeout 2048 in the January sale (self-birthday present) and just fired it up on my lunch break today.

I'd forgotten how majestic it is since playing the demo a year ago when I first got my Vita. It's absolutely lovely. I played a few races with earphones in, and the the whole sensory experience combined with classic Wipeout gameplay is just great. Those iconic Wipeout music mixes, the sleek interface, that hardcore feel to driver assist OFF...

I also love the slightly older aesthetic. The smoke trails on the crafts and the dirtier sound boosting/weapons make really give it a "racing revolution" vibe. And the intro movie reminds me of those old school PC/PS1 game intros where it tells you everything you need to know without uttering a word.

Gonna be spending a lot of time on this, especially with HD/Fury campaigns still to go through - although I wish it had the Fury menu and music... so sexy.

Anyone else enjoying any of their Xmas/New Year pick-ups? Let's stop all the fussin' and the feudin' and have ourselves a good old time.

Massa

Or how about just threads for PSN, XB Marketplace, and the eShop?

That is an arbitrary grouping of different things, things which generate different discussions by different groups of people. You could have also grouped by type of console; 3DS/Vita in one thread, Xbox and PS3/PS4 in another. Xbox One and PS4 actually share more games than PS4 and Vita, so if anything it makes sense to put them together, again, if the purpose of the thread is to talk about games. If you want to discuss "services" I'd love to see what type of discussion that would be, as I have no idea.

Hasney

Okay, I don't know the specifics, but I for one am willing to carry on here as if nothing's happened.

So I bought Wipeout 2048 in the January sale (self-birthday present) and just fired it up on my lunch break today.

I'd forgotten how majestic it is since playing the demo a year ago when I first got my Vita. It's absolutely lovely. I played a few races with earphones in, and the the whole sensory experience combined with classic Wipeout gameplay is just great. Those iconic Wipeout music mixes, the sleek interface, that hardcore feel to driver assist OFF...

I also love the slightly older aesthetic. The smoke trails on the crafts and the dirtier sound boosting/weapons make really give it a "racing revolution" vibe. And the intro movie reminds me of those old school PC/PS1 game intros where it tells you everything you need to know without uttering a word.

Gonna be spending a lot of time on this, especially with HD/Fury campaigns still to go through - although I wish it had the Fury menu and music... so sexy.

Anyone else enjoying any of their Xmas/New Year pick-ups? Let's stop all the fussin' and the feudin' and have ourselves a good old time.

Ha, looks like we started Wipeout at the same time. I'm not sure if I'm going to be hardcore enough to finish it though, I remember the old Wipeout games getting hard as balls once it got up to the A class.

I leave VitaGAF for a day and come back to this :O
*Clicks furiously*

I'll miss the discussions and community here, even though most of the time I was just a lurker. You guys definitely got me a lot more interested in niche Vita games that I would never have bought on my own, as well as being great for checking out Vita news. And of course, Sonic and Soul Sac parties. Twas good while it lasted, Vitamuffins.

Hasney

why do we need a standardization for everything :/
oh well back to Vita discussions

anyone got a VitaTV?

I almost pulled the trigger until I saw the list of incompatible games and only being able to login to Japanese accounts. With all the games I own that don't work, I'll have to give it a miss.

wilflare

I almost pulled the trigger until I saw the list of incompatible games and only being able to login to Japanese accounts. With all the games I own that don't work, I'll have to give it a miss.

how I hope the VitaTV could work with the PS3. would save me so much space. ugh

Zhao_Yun

I hope Atlus doesn't do any dirty trick to region lock Persona 5. We've been waiting for around six months and SMT IV hasn't been released here yet... I won't be able to stand a 9 months delay for Persona 5.

I don't think they will. P4A had the region lock because Atlus wanted to avoid Japanese gamers to import the cheaper US version afair. The Japanese and the US version both included Japanese voices and the language barrier isn't that high in fighting games to begin with. I doubt that the US version of P5 will include Japanese voices and a JRPG has too much text for most Japanese to bother with the English language.

SMTIV is another story since it's not Atlus that decided to region-lock the 3DS...

Hasney

I don't think they will. P4A had the region lock because Atlus wanted to avoid Japanese gamers to import the cheaper US version afair. The Japanese and the US version both included Japanese voices and the language barrier isn't that high in fighting games to begin with. I doubt that the US version of P5 will include Japanese voices and a JRPG has too much text for most Japanese to bother with the English language..

P4A also had a lot of text and dialogue to translate, so my hope is that they're localizing P5 at the same time. I really think since P4G that there's enough of a fanbase to justify it.

If that happens though, leave the region lock out. Pretty please.

Acid08

Banned
P4A also had a lot of text and dialogue to translate, so my hope is that they're localizing P5 at the same time. I really think since P4G that there's enough of a fanbase to justify it.

If that happens though, leave the region lock out. Pretty please.
Here's hoping. Would love to get P5 as quickly as we got SMTIV.

Carl

I'll be honest, i don't see the general conversation in here changing, at all. It will just make the PS3/PS4 people less willing to come in here, because it'll be full of Vita discussion.

Which begs the question, what's the point? :p

Hasney

What the fuck happened to the Vita general thread? Seriously?!

It was "upgraded".

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=96121474#post96121474

I'll be honest, i don't see the general conversation in here changing, at all. It will just make the PS3/PS4 people less willing to come in here, because it'll be full of Vita discussion.

Which begs the question, what's the point? :p

A covert ploy to sell more Vitas? "Oh, a thread where I can discuss my home consoles... Wait, what's a Teraway and 'Dat OLED'? Maybe I'll buy one of these handheld thingymajobbies".

Adahn

Change is never fun, and while I don't think this will work out how I hope I'll keep popping in for my Vita fix.

Maybe this is a good chance for the mods team to take some 'lessons learnt' and apply them the next time they look to make a change. I'm not saying there needs to be some kind of referendum everytime something new is tried, but certainly better communication and potential information sharing would make the bitter change pill easier to swallow. I'm sure none of us in a work setting would surprise a userbase/customer in this way this quickly, and GAF seems a grown up enough place to try to use some of those practices here.

Noi

Just FYI guys, here's what the stance was back in October when they closed the 3DS thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43345406&postcount=7

So a community version of a general Vita thread is a no-no, seems they backtracked on a Vita PSN Store |OT| with the new year.

They haven't backtracked on it, they've decided to change the policy to have non-platform specific threads for the whole (digital) ecosystem instead of individual ones for every platform. "OT"s for single platforms (like that 3DS thread and the WiiU one that popped up before) have never been allowed.

I can't say I fully agree with forcing a merger on different communities though, specially when the thread's main focus is also changing at the same time. Being told that it was either this or having the thread nuked with no warning proooobably doesn't help things.

Sintoid

I'm really disappointed too... Don't see why Vita can't have his own thread. If you need a topic about PS3/PS4 games on PSN there's the Playstation Store monthly topic

There are people who want to only talk about the VIta and people who only want to talk about PS4 and so on. Why do they all need to use the same thread? I really don't understand. As soon as PS4 releases pick up steam, Vita talk will most definitely suffer.

And at the same time we're losing the weekly PSN Store threads. These threads were always great for finding out what was new this week, fitting with the whole "new news, new thread" thing NeoGAF has going. I guess a lot will be lost in the new megathread now.

It's difficult to see why this change was needed. Two threads that served entirely different purposes are getting merged while both will be suffering from it. Feels like change for the sake of change.

EDIT: Let's be honest, the monthly Vita thread was a community thread all along, and one that was needed since such a niche system doesn't have enough posters to have talk spread across several threads. A monthly PSN thread replacing the weekly ones is fine I guess, but a general Vita thread is needed as well. NeoGAF is all about preventing these threads (or sending them to the actual Community side to die), but it's apparent that people really want and enjoy threads that are focused on a singular topic (just look at the Steam
community
thread.)

The best way to handle this is to just ignore the name change and keep talking about Vita. Drown the thread in Vita talk and you can keep things mostly the same.

co1onel

They haven't backtracked on it, they've decided to change the policy to have non-platform specific threads for the whole (digital) ecosystem instead of individual ones for every platform. "OT"s for single platforms (like that 3DS thread and the WiiU one that popped up before) have never been allowed.

I can't say I fully agree with forcing a merger on different communities though, specially when the thread's main focus is also changing at the same time. Being told that it was either this or having the thread nuked with no warning proooobably doesn't help things.

Was the old thread really ever just about Vita PSN games and services though? It felt more like a community thread. There were never any mods telling us to stop talking about our P4G waifus, or to take our Tearaway discussions to the OT. The Vita has a niche community, that doesn't really fit in anywhere now. People wanted to talk about Tearaway here instead of the OT because they knew and liked the people here, like in a community thread.

The best way to handle this is to just ignore the name change and keep talking about Vita. Drown the thread in Vita talk and you can keep things mostly the same.

Its impossible to know where this thread will go from here. Maybe in two weeks when all the non-vita people learn about this topic it will be overtaken, or maybe nobody else will end up caring about this topic because they don't care for a specific place to go talk about PS4 games like Vita users do. Maybe discussion will end up even like the mods hoped.
Which is still an issue for lots of people

Acid08

Banned
That's what I'm saying. Keep the discussion going and the Vita talk will be as lively as ever.

Its impossible to know where this thread will go from here. Maybe in two weeks when all the non-vita people learn about this topic it will be overtaken, or maybe nobody else will end up caring about this topic because they don't care for a specific place to go talk about PS4 games like Vita users do. Maybe discussion will end up even like the mods hoped.

All the talk that happened in the weekly store threads will happen here now because there is no other place for it now. While there wasn't that much to talk about recently, PS4 releases will pick up and make up the majority of this thread in the future.

"Upgraded," yeah, that's a funny way of putting it. The Vita is as niche as they come now, so any news about it and the games that have been announced tend not to linger on the first page all that long, which is why the Vita general thread was genuinely helpful - it allowed me to keep tabs on everything Vita related. Now that's all going to be drowned out with discussion of the PS3 and the PS4. I own both of those consoles so I've an avid interest in them, but they're popular, commercially successful products that are talked about enough as it is. You know when something new is announced for the PS4.

This whole thread change just strikes me as being wholly redundant.

co1onel

All the talk that happened in the weekly store threads will happen here now because there is no other place for it now. While there wasn't that much to talk about recently, PS4 releases will pick up and make up the majority of this thread in the future.

This is what I suspect will happen. I don't see the vita people being able to keep up. I don't know why I'll have to go through all the PS3 and PS4 discussions to find the ones I want when it would be so easy to keep them separate. They did this change to avoid mega threads for each specific platform. Isn't this just creating a larger thread?

Hasney

Well it's not going to change, so in the spirit of embracing things, I've created the logo for the OPs going forward if we all approve.

kJD2u6a.png

Carl

Pretty much. If all the people that have been previously in here talking about Vita, you'll easily outnumber the amount of people that want to come here and talk about other platforms.

And hence, the thread will not really change at all, which makes the whole thing even more stupid

Just a couple of questions for Vita GAF, has MGS 2/3 HD ever been cheaper than $15 each? Are they good versions?

Also are there many JRPG's coming out this year for vita, I'm kind of in the mood to play one. Or any good ones already out?

maouvin

Well it's not going to change, so in the spirit of embracing things, I've created the logo for the OPs going forward if we all approve.

kJD2u6a.png

Can we fit some Vita 2000 penguins in there? Cause they're the next coolest thing after Nils Olav.

I was going to ask if it's still okay to look for game, exchange IDs, make quick questions about games/the system itself and post new info about games (like, say, some new shots from Freedom Wars), but I find it better to ask: is there something we did here that we shouldn't do anymore?

Also, can we consider bannable people who never played Tearaway claiming that it should have launched on PS3/4 and nothing of value would've been lost? We get that on every Tearaway thread, can see it happening here too.

RalchAC

Pretty much. If all the people that have been previously in here talking about Vita, you'll easily outnumber the amount of people that want to come here and talk about other platforms.

And hence, the thread will not really change at all, which makes the whole thing even more stupid

Exactly, and since every Vita games has a downloable versions we won't be doing anything wrong :p

So keep the Vita talk like always!

Does someone want to have some SS Avalon Pacts in around 3 hours? I'm 4-19. I'll try to create a party chat anyway with the people that told me they're around my level :)

Edit:
Just a couple of questions for Vita GAF, has MGS 2/3 HD ever been cheaper than $15 each? Are they good versions?

Also are there many JRPG's coming out this year for vita, I'm kind of in the mood to play one. Or any good ones already out?

There is Persona 4 Golden for the Vita (obligatory recommendation) and older Persona games. You can buy Trails in the Sky FC, since the second part is going to be released next year (PSP game, both). I think people said there is Breath of Fire IV in EU PSN and III in the US one (or the other way xD). There is Atelier Totori / Meruru + (PS3 game with extra content), but they're DD only.

If you want to check some PS1 classics, there are more JRPGs in the US (Xenosaga, Suikoden, a bunch more, I think). And people say PS1 games work better on US accounts becuase 60hz (NTSC) is better than slowed down 50hz (PAL). Something like that xD

Shinriji

Persona 4 Golden is the best JRPG on the Vita. Other traditional JRPG are Atelier Totori and Meruru Plus, both very good, but they deal with time and resources management, if you're into that. For ARPG, there is Ys: Memories of Celceta. For roguelikes, Sorcery Saga is the only one for now. There is some indie retro JRPG-like, Dragon Fantasy Books 1 and 2. I liked the first one, but YMMV.

And of course, the PSP and PS1 sections are full of great JRPG.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
top of the morning, PSN-bros

don't go crazy guys, remember the rockband-thread revolt? didn't end so well

Zhao_Yun

Confirmed ones for 2014 are:
Demon Gaze
Conception II
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
Cosmic Star Heroine
Trails in the Sky SC (PSP)

Already out and recommended are besides the ones already mentioned Ys: Memories of Celceta or the Ys games for the PSP (Seven, The Oath in Felghana, I & II Chronicles)

SteveWD40

Since this is now a PSN thread...

How safe does everyone feel with the PSN considering Sony's financial issues?

I was going digital only on the Vita, but then I thought it might be safe to get some physical carts just in-case it ever went down, but even they require patches and updates from the PSN for the most part.

I know it sounds paranoid and I do back up my games to the PC, but it just seems less solid than the 3DS, which as we have seen with the DS will probably have comparability with Nintendo hardware for decades and all the data / saves are Cart side as far as I know...

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
:mad:
Sorry but i really don't like this, i like even less how this change was done, they decided to do it and they did it in a matter of hours without caring what we think.

They didn't even inform us with some days in advance!

I really don't like this attitude, you can't do whatever you want of something that was so long established in a matter of hours and without hearing what people say.

And why all this hurry? Was it really necessary to do it now? Why not starting from the next month since this month thread was already begun?

PS:
8 pages in 10 hours(time interval between this post and my last one) and it's only the beginning...

Tapejara

Since this is now a PSN thread...

How safe does everyone feel with the PSN considering Sony's financial issues?

I was going digital only on the Vita, but then I thought it might be safe to get some physical carts just in-case it ever went down, but even they require patches and updates from the PSN for the most part.

I know it sounds paranoid and I do back up my games to the PC, but it just seems less solid than the 3DS, which as we have seen with the DS will probably have comparability with Nintendo hardware for decades and all the data / saves are Cart side as far as I know...

I never feel safe when it comes console networks, whether it be PSN, Live or NN. That's why I only buy digital if I can get the game for a good discount. I'm even thinking of getting a second "back-up" Vita to put all of my digital games on.

Sony's financial position doesn't really have an effect on how I view the network's future, as eventually PSN will either be shutdown or legacy titles will stop being supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom