• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN (Vita/PSP/PS4/PS3) Downloads Thread Z | January 2014 | The Legendary Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalchAC

:mad:
Sorry but i really don't like this, i like even less how this change was done, they decided to do it and they did it in a matter of hours without caring what we think.

They didn't even inform us with some days in advance!

I really don't like this attitude, you can't do whatever you want of something that was so long established in a matter of hours and without hearing what people say.

And why all this hurry? Was it really necessary to do it now? Why not starting from the next month since this month thread was already begun?

PS:
8 pages in 10 hours(time interval between this post and my last one) and it's only the beginning...

Man, most of those posts where the usual suspects raging because the thread was changed.

Still, I miss our little Vita thread. I suppose we won't have a wall of f
sh
ame next month :(

anddo0

I'm really going to miss the monthly threads. I spend a great deal of time here. I feel that fragmenting the discussion is going to discourage a lot of people from posting. It's really sad :(

SteveWD40

I never feel safe when it comes console networks, whether it be PSN, Live or NN. That's why I only buy digital if I can get the game for a good discount. I'm even thinking of getting a second "back-up" Vita to put all of my digital games on.

Sony's financial position doesn't really have an effect on how I view the network's future, as eventually PSN will either be shutdown or legacy titles will stop being supported.

Yeah, that's the thing though, even having the Cart isn't safe in the cases of Killzone or Dragons Crown where there are hefty updates from the network.

On Steam it never bothers me either, maybe it's just a console thing and because you could never sell / trade PC games anyway.

Hasney

Can we fit some Vita 2000 penguins in there? Cause they're the next coolest thing after Nils Olav.

Just for you, pal.

2y72fdq.png

Tapejara

Yeah, that's the thing though, even having the Cart isn't safe in the cases of Killzone or Dragons Crown where there are hefty updates from the network.

On Steam it never bothers me either, maybe it's just a console thing and because you could never sell / trade PC games anyway.

While I would be missing out on some content, I still feel carts have a safer future than downloads. At least I know that in 10-20 years time I'll still be able to play Killzone's singleplayer just by popping in the cart. I only had the digital version there might not even be a way to download it. I might miss out on content (the case of Dragon's Crown for example, which recently received that new dungeon), but once again if I ever felt like playing a game I could just play the "core" game off the cart without issue.

I do agree with you on Steam/PC gaming though. I don't find there are any lingering thoughts like "what if I buy this and Steam shuts down?" like there are with console services.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Man, most of those posts where the usual suspects raging because the thread was changed.

Still, I miss our little Vita thread. I suppose we won't have a wall of f
sh
ame next month :(
Sorry but i think that only because one is a gaf moderator or manager or whatever can't do whatever he want without even a warn in advance and hearing what people say, this is pure arrogance and users shouldn't agree or allow every decision just because they are moderators or whatever.

In the end it's not the death of a dedicated Vita thread that i really don't like(that too obviously, but for some reason i had the feel that it was not entirely well seen and that its death was a matter of time) but the attitude with how they did the change, they just did it without caring about anything if not their motivations.

nampad

As long as we just keep talking about the Vita, nothing will change!

Sad to see that kassatu's weekly store update also got killed. At least the wrestlers were long gone before.

RalchAC

Sorry but i think that only because one is a gaf moderator or manager or whatever can't do whatever he want without even a warn in advance and hearing what people say, this is pure arrogance and users shouldn't agree or allow any decision just because they are moderators or whatever.

In the end it's not the death of a dedicated Vita thread that i really don't like(that too obviously, but for some reason i had the feel that it was not entirely well seen and that its death was a matter of time) but the attitude with how they did the change, they just did it without caring about anything if not their motivations.

Maybe I used "rage" in a bad way (remember I'm not native speaker) and I should have used complain. I totally agree with what you said. What I wanted to say is that most of those comments were people complaining about the change and, especially, about how mods behaved while changing the thread.

PS: Thumbs up Blue, nice video :)

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I've hardly posted in any of these threads, but they've consistently been the best source for Vita info on GAF. It was actually the reason I joined the site, although it became overly clique-y and I opted to not participate. I still think the Vita deserves a dedicated thread, given how every other Vita thread on GAF either manages to turn into a shitshow by the second page or falls into obscurity.

Either give the Vita folks their own place to discuss stuff or start policing the "VITA IS DEAD NO GAEMZ" posts that litter every other handheld thread.

Hey, I finally got my Vita in the mail yesterday (after being ordered 4 weeks ago!), and I have a general Vita question. Not a PSN question, but I don't know where else to ask! :)

I've bought FFIX from the US PSN store because of 60Hz, but I was also under the impression that NTSC versions of PS1 games would have "no black borders" on the Vita whereas the PAL would.

However, I've got black borders along the top and bottom in both "Normal" and "Original" screen modes. The screen fills up in "Custom" and "Full Screen" but those don't look great.

Am I missing something here, VitaGAF? Did I misinterpret what I read online about the borders, or is there some setting I've missed?

Hasney

Hey, I finally got my Vita in the mail yesterday (after being ordered 4 weeks ago!), and I have a general Vita question. Not a PSN question, but I don't know where else to ask! :)

I've bought FFIX from the US PSN store because of 60Hz, but I was also under the impression that NTSC versions of PS1 games would have "no black borders" on the Vita whereas the PAL would.

However, I've got black borders along the top and bottom in both "Normal" and "Original" screen modes. The screen fills up in "Custom" and "Full Screen" but those don't look great.

Am I missing something here, VitaGAF? Did I misinterpret what I read online about the borders, or is there some setting I've missed?

I think you misinterpreted. The original resolution and aspect ratio of PS1 games doesn't translate to the Vita screen, so normal and original modes can't fully compensate. The custom and full-screen ones stretch it to the full screen which is why they take a dip in quality.

With the PAL versions though, you would have bigger boarders and have the game locked to 50Hz rather than the NTSC 60Hz, so you've still got a better version.

JimPanzer

NTSC or PAL doesn't affect the borders, only Hz. The screen ratio of the vita isn't optimal for PSX games, but you'll get used to it once you start playing.

beaten, edit:
With the PAL versions though, you would have bigger boarders [...]

really? I thought it only affected Hz and not the borders.

Hasney

NTSC or PAL doesn't affect the borders, only Hz. The screen ratio of the vita isn't optimal for PSX games, but you'll get used to it once you start playing.

beaten, edit:

really? I thought it only affected Hz and not the borders.

The PAL versions are still a bit more squished as they're using the PAL lines still, at least for unoptimized games from what I see.

You'll see it on some games and not others though as some were optimized for the PAL format and others not, so it varies on a game-by-game basis.

Zephyx

Pretty much this. I'd be happier if they just lock the thread and start things the right way whenever they're ready than keeping this thread as a reminder of how they handled the situation so poorly.

The Vita is pretty much my Spelunky machine at the moment. Got to the end of Hell yesterday for the first time with a pretty good setup, died in like 10 seconds. D: Didn't even get close to it again after that.

When going to hell, is it generally recommended to collect as much money as possible and buy the Ankh + other upgrades or should I mess with the shopkeepers? The black market just scares me too much most of the time to lay a hand on them.

1cmanny1

I'm confused, do we still talk about non psn stuff in here? Or is there some other thread?

How often does the Vita get new Plus content?

-Digits-

This thread sure has exploded since my last post. It feels kinda weird because it seems different even though not much has changed, really. As of yet anyway. It's the same, but different. It's blue yet orange. I'm sad yet optimistic.

The decision came out of nowhere, for me. Kind of like our arms are being twisted until we submit. But will it really be so bad? There's only one way to find out. We just have to keep trucking along and keep the spirit of VitaGAF alive. We have a great community going here and I'll be damned if we just let that die!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
This is just like when TNA changed the six sided ring to a four sided ring. They sprung it on us out of nowhere and insisted the change was for the better. Naturally the vast majority booed and chanted "We want six sides". Some were in denial and insisted it wasn't a major change and that TNA would go on as it did before. But in reality it was only a matter of time until everything went to shit and the TNA we knew and loved was a mere shadow of its former self. The four sided ring was only the beginning, just like the name change of this thread.

SmokyDave

Probably not a good idea to protest too much longer. It won't end well.

I think I'm going to reinstall Everybody's Golf. Go me.

lakers

Neo Member
Really enjoyed the vita thread used it as my primary source for vita info /news. While I don't agree with what has happened lets keep the vita discussion in full force,we can't allow to be drowned out,were the originals in this thread and I know we ain't goin out like that

Hasney

This is just like when TNA changed the six sided ring to a four sided ring. They sprung it on us out of nowhere and insisted the change was for the better. Naturally the vast majority booed and chanted "We want six sides". Some were in denial and insisted it wasn't a major change and that TNA would go on as it did before. But in reality it was only a matter of time until everything went to shit and the TNA we knew and loved was a mere shadow of its former self. The four sided ring was only the beginning, just like the name change of this thread.

Are you suggesting we start a Fire Russo chant?

ReaperXL7

Wow, I had not posted in the Vita threads much in awhile, but this whole thing seems kind of messed up alittle. I know the mods had a thing against Mega threads, but it was nice to have a Vita focused thread that did not always turn into a sales thread shit show even when the content of the OP has nothing to do with sales.

Nothing lasts forever as they say, I just hope the mods will police the Vita/ Wii U threads abit better so they dont turn into the usual nonsense. May not be the most successful handheld in the world, but my Vita has pretty much always gotten daily gametime.

Manac0r

Still think my Gladiator video summed it up well...

Anyhow VitaGAF I'm currently on a SJRPG vibe and have been enjoying Disgaea 3, until I played Tactics Ogre, which I fell in love with. Something about the challenge and battles really clicks with me, now I'm thinking of picking up FFT for my Vita. Apparently the PSX version runs better but is missing content and the PSP version has spell lag. How bad is the lag issue? Should I get the PSX version or PSP? Will I love the game as much as Tactics Ogre? Help me VitaGAF your my only hope.

I'm really going to miss the monthly threads. I spend a great deal of time here. I feel that fragmenting the discussion is going to discourage a lot of people from posting. It's really sad :(

Also, I think that the Vita discussions may get lost amoung all the newly added topics to the thread.

Omerta

Oh well. I've been away at work for the last seven days so I've not been able to post and then I sit down to catch up on my favourite, all-things-vita thread and BAM...

I really don't get this forum in general. I've spent the last ten years or more on a forum (loosely English football themed) that is completely unmoderated and you know what: there are brilliant discussions, hilarious moments and the world keeps turning on its axis.

I signed up to gaf because of this thread. We're it not for this thread (and this little vita community) I'd feel too stifled by the rules, memes and elitism.

There didn't seem to be any of those problems in here, just a place where vita owners can chat without the usual bullshit thrown about in literally every other vita-related thread.

Personally, I can not stomach people telling me how to discuss things. This isn't debate club... I don't have time for this: I work incredibly hard, my family takes up nearly all of my spare time - the last thing I'm going to be doing is flip-flop all over neogaf looking for different vita-topics to post in.

I think you misinterpreted. The original resolution and aspect ratio of PS1 games doesn't translate to the Vita screen, so normal and original modes can't fully compensate. The custom and full-screen ones stretch it to the full screen which is why they take a dip in quality.

With the PAL versions though, you would have bigger boarders and have the game locked to 50Hz rather than the NTSC 60Hz, so you've still got a better version.
Ah, that makes sense, thanks. It's not a big deal at all, it still looks good in "Normal" mode, I just thought there might be some weird thing going on because I was playing an NTSC game on a Australian Vita, although that theory makes less and less sense the more I think about it lol!

sajj316

Smoky is wise .. listen to him. At this point, its about adaptation. Push forward, post as much as you can about the Vita.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
This'll be my last post on the whole matter, but I still don't understand why they're going through with it. If they admit that the thread change isn't likely to change the flow of discourse, then what's the point? Is it completely aesthetic?

Anyway, I'll make a reddit account.

Hasney

I'm not sure what to do with Everybody's Golf Vita at the moment. I usually just go for max power in golf games, which increases the difficulty but nailing yields better results, but my balls are spraying all over the place (just like IRL hurrr).

Might have to re-visit my loadout next time I boot it up.

Anyway, I'll make a reddit account.

After a few months of posting on Reddit, I find that this response is akin to "I'm not enjoying this gruel they're feeding me, I'll try having a taste of what came out of the dogs arse last night."

RalchAC

Someone wants to play some Soul Sacrifice MP in an hour? I'm 5/20 (Chaos build).

I guess I could fight in I-III and maybe some IV-VI Avalon Pacts (hardest levels I've done were 5*)

SmokyDave

Smoky is wise .. listen to him. At this point, its about adaptation. Push forward, post as much as you can about the Vita.
Indeed, but don't be afraid to venture outside and spread the love either. Don't hide away from the world in this dimly-lit cave. Stride forth with your shining Vita held aloft, a beacon of hope in a desolate wasteland.

Wait so this is PS3/PS4 thread too? Buwahahaha, rip vita and the only place on this site where you could discuss the device.
Grow a pair, man. You only need fear the trolls if they speak the truth that you daren't.

Valkyria

Banned
I have been in too many forums and I always find my self surprised when moderation tries to change the natural flow of threads and communities that occurs in their boards. I liked the idea that gaf does not have megathreads, and now it is just destroying mini communities to impose megathreads.

breakfuss

Oh, man, I totally forgot I picked this up for $5 a few weeks ago. Shame, lol. The MP is asynchronous, correct? I remember you guys had a lobby or something going when I first joined. If that's still a thing I want to be added.

sajj316

Indeed, but don't be afraid to venture outside and spread the love either. Don't hide away from the world in this dimly-lit cave. Stride forth with your shining Vita held aloft, a beacon of hope in a desolate wasteland.

Grow a pair, man. You only need fear the trolls if they speak the truth that you daren't.

New mission statement for old and future Vitabros .. "Lighted to Lighten" ..

SmokyDave

Oh, man, I totally forgot I picked this up for $5 a few weeks ago. Shame, lol. The MP is asynchronous, correct? I remember you guys had a lobby or something going when I first joined. If that's still a thing I want to be added.
I'm not sure, to be honest. I haven't played multiplayer yet. That said, the missus bought it last night so I was going to go a few rounds with her later. Then play golf. Arf arf.

Ohnonono

Vita GAF reporting in. I'll post in here! Why not!

I am having a really hard time with so many RPGs at my fingertips! I need to focus on just one till I beat it but I keep jumping around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom