• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG reaches 481k concurrent players on Steam. Highest peak for a non-Valve game.

TF2's numbers have remained fairly steady.
They've gone down a little bit, but a large part of that is because Valve still hasn't shipped the summer update that normally comes out in June or July (though it's going to be one of the biggest updates the game has ever gotten, with new weapons for the pyro, a rebalance for the pyro and the game in general based on competative player feedback, improvements to the competitive matchmaking system with things like an ELO raking system and placement matches, a new Valve map with new jungle themed art assets, a 4-5 minute Meet the Team style video and more).
The big issue is that Valve basically skipped shipping any content for the Christmas update last December, so the last non Halloween major content update was Meet Your Match last July, which shipped in a semi-broken state.

Valve is moving TF2 in the direction of becoming a more competitive game and possibly an esport. I'm sure they're hoping if it does take off that the player base will increase much like CSGO. Hard to say if it will happen though, I imagine most people though CSGO would never become as big as it is today in the early days so never count Valve out. I don't think TF2 will probably ever be as big as DOTA2 or CSGO but there is room for growth.

thats good to hear.

Green Man Gaming regularly emails me with a personalized 15-20% off code. Anyone looking for a deal should just sign up with them.

DOTA 2 has been bleeding players so I can easily see PUBG becoming #1 quite fast.
Hell, the moment they have any kind of sale on Steam the game will become inflated with new players.

MUnited83

For you.
Then H1Z1, DayZ really any early access game that has done well for themselves should have been the "case study" before this. The difference is that most of those games seems to have worse planning and consistant roadmaps than PUBG has, which has both weekly updates for bugs and stability and monthly for content additions.

So if you're really looking for a case study for not finishing your game, not even putting in the effort to update it consistantly and still selling insane amounts then they should use some other game than PUBG, maybe like The Forest or DayZ.
DayZ and The Forest would be terrible examples, since DayZ still gets constant updates, and The Forest also gets constant updates as well, and most of the main content is already done.

Chinner

Banned
It's still a good price and he is right. Also the game will get more expensive when it will release so people should just buy it now. I also like to save a few bucks here and there, but it's also annoying to see people ask about a price decrease in any topic about this game. So I guess that is why he said it like that.

Game is totally worth it and it shows.
Hasn't it been confirmed that tit won't increase in price? Don't see anywhere in your post that disputes what I said. It's good to encourage people to be wise with their money, otherwise it will lead to price gauging if people are buying blindly.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I cannot believe that many people fell for No Mans Sky. Like, legit cannot believe it, those numbers are fudged.

Steez

DayZ and The Forest would be terrible examples, since DayZ still gets constant updates, and The Forest also gets constant updates as well, and most of the main content is already done.

Yeah, dawg. Those constant updates brought DayZ to version 0.62. It only took them 4 years!

mas8705

Just going to be patient and wait for this to drop on Xbox One. Sadly I never did have a good enough PC to play games on.

Still though, kudos to the PUBG creator for reaching this impressive milestone.

Budi

The mainstream media loves it already.

DayZ was a case study for this type of business model. There was huge influx of survival games after the mod got crazy popular. Some were okay'ish, a lot were terrible. Look up The War Z and its surrounding chaos.
Yup, Brendan Greene's original Battle Royale mod was built upon DayZ.

fuzzyset

I mean, inasmuch as it runs "ok" anywhere else. The game has some performance issues that hopefully will get worked out, but you should definitely be able to play it.

I'm really curious what the ceiling is. I would love to see a Gamasutra or DF in-depth article on the UE4 implementation. The game is rendering / communicating a lot of data at all times. They certainly have the money now to bring in UE experts to help them.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Not a troll. It's super cheap and worth every penny.

I don't see how anyone with a decent income could complain about paying £27 for it. It's GOTY.

Because not everyone has a decent income? Don't be an ass.

TF2's numbers have remained fairly steady.
They've gone down a little bit, but a large part of that is because Valve still hasn't shipped the summer update that normally comes out in June or July (though it's going to be one of the biggest updates the game has ever gotten, with new weapons for the pyro, a rebalance for the pyro and the game in general based on competative player feedback, improvements to the competitive matchmaking system with things like an ELO raking system and placement matches, a new Valve map with new jungle themed art assets, a 4-5 minute Meet the Team style video and more).
The big issue is that Valve basically skipped shipping any content for the Christmas update last December, so the last non Halloween major content update was Meet Your Match last July, which shipped in a semi-broken state.

Valve is moving TF2 in the direction of becoming a more competitive game and possibly an esport. I'm sure they're hoping if it does take off that the player base will increase much like CSGO. Hard to say if it will happen though, I imagine most people though CSGO would never become as big as it is today in the early days so never count Valve out. I don't think TF2 will probably ever be as big as DOTA2 or CSGO but there is room for growth.

Heh, of course you would respond to that. If Valve wants a competitive TF they should build a new one from the ground up to be that instead of ducktaping an already ducktaped to death game. But of course they won't, because the economy is still going strong. Meh. TF2's time as a competitive game has long passed and no half-assed (because that's how Valve's been handling it) effort is going to change that.

Bluth54

Heh, of course you would respond to that. If Valve wants a competitive TF they should build a new one from the ground up to be that instead of ducktaping an already ducktaped to death game. But of course they won't, because the economy is still going strong. Meh. TF2's time as a competitive game has long passed and no half-assed (because that's how Valve's been handling it) effort is going to change that.

TF2 definitely has the mechanical depth to become an e-sport. Valve has told people who visit the TF2 team that they're willing to support the comp scene with prize money but they're unhappy with the current meta and it sounds like they want to see all classes played (at least more often than they're currently being played) and more modes played. They're definitely moving game balancing in a competitive direction as well.

Like I said I don't think the game will probably ever be as big as CSGO and DOTA2 but it could be bigger than it is. I think one of the biggest issues the game does have is it has a shitty tutorial (which only covers a few of the classes). TF2 is a bit more complex than other shooter and while you couldn't cover everything in a tutorial (there's way too many weapons to learn for example, you would have to learn what those do over time) a tutorial for every class that teaches you the basic mechanics (and maybe gives some hints on more advanced stuff like rocket jumping) that then gives out contracts with rewards to re-enforce that training could be really helpful for retaining new players.

Who knows, maybe the TF2 team chasing after comp wont really pay off for them but there's nothing wrong with giving it a try, especially given that there's only 5-6 programmers working on TF2 as per that Dave Riller interview expecting a new Team Fortress game that's completely comp focused is pretty unrealistic.

Top Bottom