• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putty Squad |OT| The Future Of Video Games Is Here!

xrKp5WU.jpg

Trailers: Here
Developers: System 3
Publisher: Maximum Games (NA), System 3 (UK, AU)
Genre: "old-skool platform-adventuring"
Platforms: 3DS, PC, PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox 360
Price: MSRP: $29.99, currently on sale for $24.99 at Best Buy
Technical: PS3 / PS4 = 1080p, Remake of an unreleased Amiga version of Putty Squad, a sequel to Putty. (The original Putty Squad did actually release on SNES)
Release Dates::
  • PS4 - March 11, 2014 (NA); November 29, 2013 (EU, AU)
  • PS Vita - April 15, 2014 (NA) TBA (EU, AU)
  • 3DS - May 15, 2014 (NA) May 13 2014 (EU, AU)
  • iOS, PC, PS3, Steam, Windows 8 and Xbox 360 - TBA 2014 (WW)

Au1Bo9E.jpg

Putty Squad just released in NA for the PS4 (PS4 launch day in other areas), on the same day as Dark Souls II and Titanfall, making it a sure fire hit. A remake of an unreleased game for the Amiga that shared the same name, though a version did release for the SNES. The game was reviewed by Amiga magazines in 1994 with a near complete copy of the game, which was apparently heavily praised (though some people believe it to be a conspiracy)

With reviews such as “this game is fantastic – 94%” (CU Amiga), “quite simply the best – 91%” (Amiga Power) and “just about perfect – 90%” (Amiga Format), there can be no doubting this game’s proven pedigree.

The games "definitive version" appears to be the PS Vita, as it hosts many exclusive and secret levels and takes advantage of the Vita's location based services.

The VITA version will also allow gamers access to a whole host of secret levels, which were previously not available. Gamers will be rewarded for their VITA support with nearly double the amount of levels. A number of these exclusive levels will only be unlocked as part of the VITA’s location-based services. These new levels will be released every 2 weeks, online through first party stores and sites.

You play as Putty, who is a ball of putty on a mission to rescue other putties from imprisonment. You have a few kickass abilities to help you save your fellow putties such as:

• The Stretch: Putty can stretch left, right, up and down in order to reach items and
  • drop down to areas below him.
  • Lie Flat: What better way of avoiding enemies than simply lying flat against the ground?
  • Absorb: Items can be absorbed and used at a later date.
  • Attack: Think there’s nothing more shocking than a fist made of putty? Well, there is.
  • Throughout the game Putty will be able to upgrade his attacks, which range from a
  • simple punch through to electrifying prods and putty darts.
  • Inflate: Everyone knows that if you pump putty full of hot air it rises. Putty can inflate
  • himself in order to scale otherwise unreachable heights but he can only hold his breath
  • for so long!

E65aMDz.jpg

The developer's website lists various release dates for each console, but it seemingly hasn't been updated as they list every version besides the PS4 / PC as having released in the UK on February 14th, 2014, when retail websites for Amazon and Game show preorder dates, so I did the best I could with the release dates up there.

Judging by the reviews and sales being reported low in the UK, I'd be really surprised to see this release on other consoles besides the PS4 and maybe Vita. Suffering, ironically, a similar fate to the original version of the game. It also doesn't help that System 3 actually released the Amiga version this is based off of for free in December 2013.

Shocking...
8sDlKPr.jpg

My Thoughts / Impressions after playing for an hour:

I actually picked this up, for better or for worse, and decided to stream my reactions in 1080p/60fps. You can check out the replay here with a link in the description to the uber HQ version for you graphicphiles. It is mind blowing that this game was released at $30 with the seemingly limited amount of content, and in retail on blu-ray as the game is under 900MBs. I actually kind of like the game, but can see why it would get rubbish reviews when there are plenty of downloadable games for less money with better graphics and more content.

I bet it looks gorgeous on Vita. Though I'm suspicious with it's strange release cycle. Nice to see old Amiga franchises return though, how is Alien Breed Vita?

Coming to every single current format except Xbox One & Wii U.

It was seemingly cancelled for the Wii U, as it had been announced and shown in earlier trailers. Pretty bad when the Wii U can't get this game, when they seem to want to release on every console imaginable. If the sales numbers are too low for Putty Squad, that is a sure sign of death right? Also I'm only partially joking.

Camjo-Z

Everything I've seen of this game looks absolutely bizarre, almost tempted to get it solely based on that. Think I'll wait for GAF impressions first though...

Everything I've seen of this game looks absolutely bizarre, almost tempted to get it solely based on that. Think I'll wait for GAF impressions first though...

I picked it up today, it is on sale for $24.99 at Best Buy starting today, already. Retails for $29.99

Rented it for PS4 a while ago, truly atrocious game. Never played the original release, but it's very reminicient of Euro platformers I played back in the Amiga days - crap hit detection, really messy/overcrowded screen, can barely make out difference between background, enemies etc.

Was going to Platinum it cuz it seemed like it would be simple and quick, but couldn't even force myself to slog through it after an hour or so. Should have stayed in the past IMO.

Rented it for PS4 a while ago, truly atrocious game. Never played the original release, but it's very reminicient of Euro platformers I played back in the Amiga days - crap hit detection, really messy/overcrowded screen, can barely make out difference between background, enemies etc.

Was going to Platinum it cuz it seemed like it would be simple and quick, but couldn't even force myself to slog through it after an hour or so. Should have stayed in the past IMO.

Sounds like you went in with a sour attitude! :/ 'Euro' platformers...

Zomba13

The game looks like a fake game. Like one you'd see on a TV show where they don't want to use real games so they have the kids playing with an unplugged controller while clipart moves on screen.

The game looks like a fake game. Like one you'd see on a TV show where they don't want to use real games so they have the kids playing with an unplugged controller while clipart moves on screen.

It's very real unfortunately, although I might not have believed it had I not played it, since I have yet to come across ANYONE else who has played it. Pretty hilarious they are saying it's coming out on all those platforms lol, I'll believe that when I see it. According to Wikipedia, this got good review scores from the Amiga mags (despite remaining unreleased) which I find kind of baffling.

It's very real unfortunately, although I might not have believed it had I not played it, since I have yet to come across ANYONE else who has played it. Pretty hilarious they are saying it's coming out on all those platforms lol, I'll believe that when I see it. According to Wikipedia, this got good review scores from the Amiga mags (despite remaining unreleased) which I find kind of baffling.

Well now you know someone who has played it. Me.

I did a stream / video of it last night at 1080p/60fps just to make sure everyone could take in the beauty of it. And...I actually kinda liked it. Clearly it has major issues, like being under 900mb on a blu-ray disc, and also costing $30 for 50 levels that take a couple minutes tops.

Anywho, if you want to check it out and see my opinions / impressions as they happen, then here ya go.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Holy shit, it actually got released on the Amiga finally!!!? I still have my Amiga, so I'm absolutely going to fire this bad boy up! I've been waiting for this forever!

Tapejara

Grabbed the PS4 version the other day, but it's still in its packaging. I'll probably get the Vita version when it releases. Plan to keep one sealed, the question is Vita version of PS4 version?

Grabbed the PS4 version the other day, but it's still in its packaging. I'll probably get the Vita version when it releases. Plan to keep one sealed, the question is Vita version of PS4 version?

Well Vita does seem to be the definitive version with supposedly tons of extra levels. That being said it has never released in other regions either and they keep delaying it. It may never be released at this rate, so don't hold your breath.

Batt1eRatt1e

Neo Member
A couple months ago I seen this game was coming out and thought about picking it up, specifically for my kids. I have two boys, 5 and 3. They like playing Disney Infinity, Lego games, Knack, Mario, Rayman Legends, stuff like that. Would this be a good game to pick up for them or is it really garbage?

RM8

I'm buying this because I dig retro platformers and because this game's existence is nuts. 3DS version here.

jf DOOM

I'm intrigued by this game. I read an article not too long ago which talked about a review controversy with this game back in the day. It looks so terrible I can't see myself buying it though.

A couple months ago I seen this game was coming out and thought about picking it up, specifically for my kids. I have two boys, 5 and 3. They like playing Disney Infinity, Lego games, Knack, Mario, Rayman Legends, stuff like that. Would this be a good game to pick up for them or is it really garbage?

It is really hard to recommend honestly. It isn't an "easy" game and it really isn't worth the cost at all, not for more than $10, and even that is pushing it.

I had fun, but I played a lot of old school platformers so I'm used to the controls and what not. But it is no where near as good as the other games you listed, that is for sure.

Top Bottom