• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R2-D2 or BB-8?

What is best in life?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. R2 ain't got time for that shit.

"Oh, you've got a piece of map? Big fucking deal. I've had the rest of it this whole time. Fuck all of y'all.

Star Wars: Force Awakens Spoilers

'Oh, you needed this map for a long time? Y'all can wait until I wake up from my fucking nap. I ain't got time for thi-STOP KICKING ME YOU LITTLE BITCH' *zap*

Tesseract

Banned
r2 is adventurous, gets happy and scared, all kinds of things

bb follows and peeps

r2 has history, is luke's

bb has potential

JustinBB7

After rewatching the entire series, R2 has been amazing.
Felt kinda bad for R2 that BB8 stole his shine. Hope R2 comes back more in the future.

Love BB8 too though, but after rewatching all of them..R2 is a damn hero.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I love BB, but how does his head stay on top while he rolls around?

My answer is still BB over R2.

Science.
giphy.gif

I'm still shocked that BB-8 is actually real. No CGI at all. It's crazy.

I saw the original trilogy back in the theatres when they first aired, and would have never thought that some other droid design could top R2.

Surprise, they did it..

BB-8 wins by miles..

Erevador

BB-8 is a cute little robot that's adorable, but R2-D2 is a cinematic miracle.

R2 is by far the most successful robotic character ever on film. It's an extraordinary achievement on the part of the filmmakers. That this little bucket of bolts is able to express such complex characterization and personality is a huge tribute to George Lucas and everyone else who worked on the character.

Science.
giphy.gif

I'm still shocked that BB-8 is actually real. No CGI at all. It's crazy.

you're aware that just because they have a practical version doesn't mean bb8 was never cg in any shots.

also, as cute as bb8 is and how primitive r2's design feels in the new trilogy, i'm going to vote r2.

I feel like they overdid it with bb8's cuteness/humor. too sweet for me. coulda toned it down a bit. same goes with finns comic relief chime ins and hans useless dribble.

I just rewatched the OT this past weekend, he doesn't understand R2-D2. The only times he understands R2 is when he's in the X-Wing and R2's speech is typed out on his boardcomputer. The only one that talks with R2 outside of that is C3PO.

Yeah, I'm probably misremembering that. Regardless, she's not the first character in canon that understands the bleep-bloop droids (new official term). Ezra on Rebels legit understands Chopper for instance.

R2 is by far the most successful robotic character ever on film. It's an extraordinary achievement on the part of the filmmakers. That this little bucket of bolts is able to express such complex characterization and personality is a huge tribute to George Lucas and everyone else who worked on the character.

Much of his expression comes by way of his ventriloquist, C3PO. It must be this way secondary to the limited expression range of his physical design. The best R2 can do is concern beeps, his "scream" and his foot stomps. I find that BB is far less reliant on someone interpreting his beeps and his round design allows for a far larger range of expression and options to communicate his thoughts, mood, etc.

Example:

the early sequence in the film where he and the 2 protagonists are running from tie fighter fire on Jakku before jumping into the Falcon. His ability to run/roll like that and how much expression it offered is an example of something R2 could never do.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

Except that's not true. R2's expressions and characterisation are given to us through a third party. There is always another character to let us know what he's expressing.

BB-8 however:
giphy.gif

Curiosity.

Thumbs up:
giphy.gif

That's not counting the moment before when BB-8 is looking to its left and right in confusion and indecisiveness. R2 could never express such complex emotion.

CloudWolf

Serious question tho, what does BB-8 do in this movie aside from looking cute and making funny sounds? R2 straight up saved everyone's life in A New Hope when he hacked that trash compactor.

Oh man. All these "Awww, he's sooo cute" posts are making me retroactively dislike poor BB-8.
Just embrace the cuteness.

Serious question tho, what does BB-8 doe in this movie aside from looking cute and making funny sounds? R2 straight up saved everyone's life in A New Hope when he hacked that trash compactor.

He successfully delivers the map to Luke to the Resistance? Not to mention him discovering Rey.

BB-8 is cute and all, but R2-D2 is actually useful. R2-D2 all day every day.

By the way, am I the only one that found it incredibly weird that Rey can understand BB-8? Like, how does someone even learn beep-bloop language?

It's a specific droid language called Binary though I doubt it has anything to do with real world binary besides computer stuff.

Tobor

Except that's not true. R2's expressions and characterisation are given to us through a third party. There is always another character to let us know what he's expressing.

BB-8 however:
[IMhttps://media.giphy.com/media/3oEduLcFv9PJs5Pyz6/giphy.gif[/IMG]
Curiosity.

Thumbs up:
https://media.giphy.com/media/RBP7yvBiwwyRy/giphy.gif[/IMG]

That's not counting the moment before when BB-8 is looking to its left and right in confusion and indecisiveness. R2 could never express such complex emotion.

Not true at all. Watch R2D2 on Dagobah and tell me you don't know exactly what he's thinking and feeling the entire time. C3PO wasn't there.

I have the BB-8 app enabled Sphero droid and... it makes me scream like a lunatic it's so fucking cute I cannot stand it.

BB-8 wins. Sorry bruhs.

BB-8 however:
giphy.gif

Curiosity.

Thumbs up:
giphy.gif

Have you seen the movies where R2 plays a bigger role? Doesn't sound like you have.

CloudWolf

He successfully delivers the map to Luke to the resistance?

Yeah well, technically that wasn't something BB-8 did, he was just the vessel that carried the USB stick with the map particle on it. Also,
I'm pretty sure R2 had the whole map anyway, but only showed the missing part of it to throw BB-8 a bone. That totally is a thing he would do going by the OT, like how he showed only a part of the Leia transmission to Luke to bait him into unlocking him.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
BB-8 gets caught in a junker's net, can't even use his fancy little lighter to escape. Meanwhile, R2 buzz-saws himself and the OG crew out of an Ewok net trap.

I'm here for this.

BB-8 was so much more charming and interesting than R2; I wasn't quite prepared for it.

bb8 was created with this intention. he was too much comedy/cuteness for me...it pulled off the veil of believability that I was enveloped in within this world. some of his bits didnt feel real, but felt more like there were filmmakers behind him pulling the strings.

r2 was subtle and grew into it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom