• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R2-D2 or BB-8?

What is best in life?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erevador

Not true at all. Watch R2D2 on Dagobah and tell me you don't know exactly what he's thinking and feeling the entire time. C3PO wasn't there.
Yes. He's enormously expressive, but within the range of movement that feels robotic. A real sense of a soul in a machine. And his sound design by Ben Burtt is peerless. There are so many moments on Dagobah that perfectly express who he is as a character. I always think of the shot of him outside, peering jealously through the window.

I think BB-8 is an extraordinary work of design, but hasn't really had the character development to reach the classic status of R2. I'm sure the character will grow in the next two films.

Trey

The scene where BB-8 is in the background slowly descending the staircase one step at a time was lowkey one of my favorite shots in the entire movie.

So cute; BB is such a champion. R2/your fave could never.

Newline

BB-8 wins for sure and i've always been a massive fan of RD-D2. It's just so damn cute, seems to react in a much more charismatic way to what those around it does. It's reaction to Rey potentionally selling it was priceless.

BB-8's greatest feature is his "cuteness" so R2-D2 wins by default. If you have to describe something as fun or cute then you're not going to win many marks because you're just saying random stuff to make it more appealing. It's why people roll eyes when people say, "X star did great, she's adorable!"

Gotta have more than that.

wildfire

Banned
Both for now until R2-D2 gets destroyed next movie...or BB-8 turns out to be Jar Jar's ultimate extinction tool...

I would be more pissed about this than
Han dying.

There would be more salt on that wound if Luke
ignored C3PO like Leia forgetting about Chewie.

Tobor

That this is even a debate proves BB-8 is a successful character, which is the best takeaway from this thread.

That said, he wouldn't even exist without R2 as a template. R2D2 uber alles.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Hal 9000

So cute

Not as cute as:

tumblr_neuhpt0Cgq1qc31upo2_400.gif

styl3s

BB-8

I never found R2-D2 or C3PO funny.

*raises flame shield*
Growing up my friends thought i was crazy for hating R2-D2/C3PO.

I always found them annoying. BB8 on the other had had me smiling and i actually chuckled a few times.

Fj0823

Kinda off topic but sorta related....
Is it just me or does Anakin not give a fuck about C3PO and loves the shit out of R2D2 even though he built C3PO?

R2D2 was Padme's wedding gift to him.

C3P0 is....well C3P0. He probably looks at it the way you look at the fan fiction you wrote when you were 12.

On topic, BB8

CloudWolf

I would be more pissed about this than
Han dying.

There would be more salt on that wound if Luke
ignored C3PO like Leia forgetting about Chewie.

Oh yeah, but the sad thing is that I can totally see it happening too. Hopefully I'm wrong. That said, I highly doubt that any of the OT cast is still around by Ep. IX with maybe the exception of Luke.

And Leia ignoring Chewie was such a weird thing. Let's do a tearful hug with this character I haven't seen before and not with the guy I've known for 30+ years that just lost his partner for life.

Jindrax

bb is a freaking robot, shoulldn't have emotions. He behaves like a freaking dog.
And everyone treats him like he's alive. Nobody cares that much about R2.
You know why? Because he's a freaking robot.

Disney piece of crap movie...

Neol

R2-D2 as of right now but BB-8 has the potential to surpass that.

Really love the design as it feels like the natural progression of how people would design new droids given the technology. Just seeing BB-8 move through the sand and even going down stairs gives it a great sense of maneuverability unlike R2.

Plus the thumbs up scene sold me pretty hard as well. Loving her personality.

bengraven

BB8 is basically R2's little kid.

To me I can't choose because that's like saying "Do you love your brother or his son more?"

Namikaze1

R2 because he gets shit done.

BB-8 wins the cute/adorable department and that's it.

Chopper is a close second in the usefulness department. Don't know who's the bigger asshole between it and R2 though.

Tobor

BB8 is basically R2's little kid.

To me I can't choose because that's like saying "Do you love your brother or his son more?"

I would think it's a safe bet they made him so small to intentionally give him a "little brother" vibe when compared to R2. He's tiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom